Yamaha Owners’ Thread (AVR, Pre-pro, Amp)

TechHDS

Audioholic General
Yamaha Music-Cast for Streaming Music from your iPad or Phone to your AVR.

A few years ago I started streaming music from my iPad to my Denon using AirPlay. But sometimes my iPad couldn't connect/locate my Denon's AirPlay. Sometimes it would stop playing right in the middle of the song. I thought maybe it was just my Cox Cable's 50 Mbps internet speed.

2 years ago, I moved into my new house which has AT&T's 1,000 Mbps internet speed (fiberoptic cable going from the street into my house modem). AirPlay did not improve at all on my Denon's. So I gave up and just played music files from my HTPCs, which meant turning on the TV or Projector.

Last night, I played with Yamaha's Music-Cast. Set up was straightforward - just follow the instructions on the app (iPad, Phone). One step requires pushing the "CONNECT" button on the AVR unit for about 5 seconds. This links the AVR's Music-Cast to the iPad.

Once I had this easily setup, I installed the Music Cast app for my Android phone. I thought I had to go through process of setting up again. But no. It was already set up! So setting it up on my iPad somehow also set it up on my Samsung S9+ phone! Talk about easy.

Now I've only streamed music from both my iPad and phone to the Yamaha for about 1 hour last night and for a few minutes this morning. Both worked 100% so far. I will have to give this a long-term trial.

But safe to say that from now on I will be streaming music from my phone or iPad to my Denon using Music-Cast. It seems to work 100% better than using AirPlay on my Denon's.

Yamaha also has AirPlay. But I don't see the need for using AirPlay if Music-Cast works 100%.

There's got to be another use for AirPlay somehow. Perhaps other members can shed some light. :D

MusicCast on phone.

You can even take a pic of each room.
Hey ADTG! I noticed all those nice lil pillows along the back wall. Thanks for posting this photo Bro! I went and got Me some nice lil pillows to! They are great for “Room” treatments!! I put a tall one in the corner next to my right front channel, and one each behind each tower speaker, does a great job! They helped out big time with a lil Bass “boomy” issue I was having! Great tip Bro! and cheap way for room treatments! I got a Spiderman pillow, a Star Wars pillow too looks really cool too! :)

Mike

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Audioholic Field Marshall
Although my 5 year old RX-A1020 doesn't have all the bells & whistles of the newest models, I easily added a blue tooth adapter, and the Yamaha AV controller app on my iPhone lets me power the AVR and listen to net radio stations worldwide.

TechHDS

Audioholic General
Although my 5 year old RX-A1020 doesn't have all the bells & whistles of the newest models, I easily added a blue tooth adapter, and the Yamaha AV controller app on my iPhone lets me power the AVR and listen to net radio stations worldwide.
Magoo, still a nice unit! a nice plus since it’s 5 years old! Definitely getting your moneys worth out of that unit! My Son has the A1050 it’s over 4 years old still performs very well with no issues. My unit TSR - 7790 is basically right under the a870 has been so good! Just doesn’t have Atmos and DTS - X has everything else. Got it from A4L for 299.00. They where going for new at 899. I made a steal on that unit. I’ve done 6 updates with a issue! Yamaha AVR’s are very good. If I was to upgrade to a flagship it would only get me the latest formats and better chip sets and 9 channels for Atmos. Probably will down the road though

Mike

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Denon AVP-A1HDCI - no volume output. About 8 years ago I bought a refurbished AVP-A1HDCI. It also didn't have any volume output to any amps. Back then I had about 5 or 6 amps to try out. I so bought a brand new AVP-A1HD from my local Ultimate Electronics store. :D

Forward 8 years later, my AVP-A1HD had the same problem - no volume output.

About Music-Cast, I think that deserves more discussion because I think it's great. :D
One thing I found that I don't like is the bass extension for music that lacks deep bass. I could hear the lower note start a fraction of a second after the original- can you activate it and listen for the same phenomenon? I mentioned it to Tech Support and was told, as I have been for all of my 40+ years in the audio business when I would notice something or try to fix an odd problem, "I have never heard of this before".

highfigh

highfigh

I will have to try this. :)

I know the musiccast app controls playing songs like on the controller app when airplay or Bluetooth are used. I didn’t think to try phone to AVR on the musiccast app directly over WiFi.

I have done musiccast between Yamaha musiccast capable receivers playing Pandora from one Yamaha to multiple Yamahas before though. :). I am guessing it uses a multicast network address to pull this off possibly.
Don't overthink this- the phone shows up as a source at the top of the app but yes, it uses multicast.

highfigh

highfigh

For those who aren't aware or haven't used it, MusicCast devices and many Yamaha AVRs can be set up and controlled with a computer or other device by entering the piece's IP address to control and IP address/setup. I use this when my phone isn't near my computer or it's in another room, charging. The control GUI is good, the other is very basic, but it's more for saving installer time when setting it up for customers.

Also, using a thumb drive is a piece of cake. FAT32 only, IIRC.

TechHDS

Audioholic General
For those who aren't aware or haven't used it, MusicCast devices and many Yamaha AVRs can be set up and controlled with a computer or other device by entering the piece's IP address to control and IP address/setup. I use this when my phone isn't near my computer or it's in another room, charging. The control GUI is good, the other is very basic, but it's more for saving installer time when setting it up for customers.

Also, using a thumb drive is a piece of cake. FAT32 only, IIRC.
Thanks Highfive! I just learn something!! :)

Mike

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
One thing I found that I don't like is the bass extension for music that lacks deep bass. I could hear the lower note start a fraction of a second after the original- can you activate it and listen for the same phenomenon? I mentioned it to Tech Support and was told, as I have been for all of my 40+ years in the audio business when I would notice something or try to fix an odd problem, "I have never heard of this before".
Where is the “Bass Extension” located? :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Hey ADTG! I noticed all those nice lil pillows along the back wall. Thanks for posting this photo Bro! I went and got Me some nice lil pillows to! They are great for “Room” treatments!! I put a tall one in the corner next to my right front channel, and one each behind each tower speaker, does a great job! They helped out big time with a lil Bass “boomy” issue I was having! Great tip Bro! and cheap way for room treatments! I got a Spiderman pillow, a Star Wars pillow too looks really cool too! :)

Mike
I was taking the advice of the Great Siegfried Linkwitz (RIP) when he said to use “natural” room treatments. LOL. Also, if guests ever need extra pillows, I can use some of those extra pillows. :D

little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
I’m going to try MusicCast, I’ve just been using the ”Net” source for WebRadio. I absolutely love it! Endless streaming with a Ton of choices to your hearts desire! I use 2.1 for that. I use it everyday sometimes 24/7!, at night I find one of those “ambient,” sleep channels, Man I sleep very well!! They even have a “rain” channel! and “nature” with Forest rain sound channels! You get a very soft light rain sound with crickets, frog sounds rain splashing on leaves lite thunder sounds! I put that in a DSP mode in Dolby music mode. I call that my “therapy” channel for the Mind! Very smooth man!! :)

Mike
Sounds great. That's on internet radio? How do I find that channel?

TechHDS

Audioholic General
Sounds great. That's on internet radio? How do I find that channel?
Hey Little Wing! Hit the “Net radio-button,
When it comes up you will see: Bookmarks, Locations, “Genres”. click on that one. Than you will see a whole bunch of stations at the top of the list is, Alternate and right below that one is “ Ambient” click on that one. Than you will see 3 listings., top one says All Stations, click on that one. Scroll down To the 3rd list of stations you will see, ABC Lounge WebRadio, there are 439 channels just on Genres!! Totally awesome! I really like ABC Lounge WebRadio one of my favorites! There are sooo many I have 32 on my Bookmarks! They are in alphabetical order all the way down. The rain Forest sounds start at the F’s and R’s so check them out Brother! “Phil”. Speakerman” turned me on to those stations. I never use FM anymore! NetRadio blows away FM. You get Free music! Uncensored! From all over the World! Every Country imaginable! Australian has a lot of uncensored stations! Norway, Scandinavia to! Music is way better than what We get over the air here in the States! With most of the crap that’s played on the FM stations I wouldn’t call that music anyways, on some you may have 1 or 2 very short commercial breaks. Hours and hours of endless tunes bro! Happy hunting Brother! May the power of the Force be with you Jedi LittleWing! ;)

PS. Sorry it took me awhile to get back to you, I went back to bed a few. I been staying up late every night since I got my new, Impression Elite Towers! They even make me cry sometimes there that awesome sounding!! :D

Mike

Last edited:
Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
ADTG,

What do you think of Yamaha YPAO vs Audyssey?

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Audioholic Field Marshall
Magoo, still a nice unit! a nice plus since it’s 5 years old! Definitely getting your moneys worth out of that unit! My Son has the A1050 it’s over 4 years old still performs very well with no issues. My unit TSR - 7790 is basically right under the a870 has been so good! Just doesn’t have Atmos and DTS - X has everything else. Got it from A4L for 299.00. They where going for new at 899. I made a steal on that unit. I’ve done 6 updates with a issue! Yamaha AVR’s are very good. If I was to upgrade to a flagship it would only get me the latest formats and better chip sets and 9 channels for Atmos. Probably will down the road though

Mike
Overall I've been happy with the A1020, my next big investment should probably be better speakers, or at least better subs.

Bookmark

Bookmark

Full Audioholic
I think there has been a lot more positive support for Audyssey than YPAO. Personally I like the YPAO results, although I think the Audyssey bass management has a better implementation. But that YPAO is easier to tweak. Like as not, peoples personal preference were set long before the current iterations and so may be skewed a bit in favour of whatever their current AVR/Processor is. I never liked my MDACC on my old Pioneer, but many people think it's good and what is maybe good for one room might not work in another.

little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
Hey Little Wing! Hit the “Net radio-button,
When it comes up you will see: Bookmarks, Locations, “Genres”. click on that one. Than you will see a whole bunch of stations at the top of the list is, Alternate and right below that one is “ Ambient” click on that one. Than you will see 3 listings., top one says All Stations, click on that one. Scroll down To the 3rd list of stations you will see, ABC Lounge WebRadio, there are 439 channels just on Genres!! Totally awesome! I really like ABC Lounge WebRadio one of my favorites! There are sooo many I have 32 on my Bookmarks! They are in alphabetical order all the way down. The rain Forest sounds
start at the F’s and R’s so check them out Brother! “Phil”. Speakerman” turned me on to those stations. I never use FM anymore! NetRadio blows away FM. You get Free music! Uncensored! From all over the World! Every Country imaginable! Australian has a lot of uncensored stations! Norway, Scandinavia to! Music is way better than what We get over the air here in the States! With most of the crap that’s played on the FM stations I wouldn’t call that music anyways, on some you may have 1 or 2 very short commercial breaks. Hours and hours of endless tunes bro! Happy hunting Brother! May the power of the Force be with you Jedi LittleWing! ;)

PS. Sorry it took me awhile to get back to you, I went back to bed a few. I been staying up late every night since I got my new, Impression Elite Towers! They even make me cry sometimes there that awesome sounding!! :D

Mike
Mike,
I'm glad you are enjoying your new towers. Good music reaches the soul, especially if you have some quality speakers and electronics. I'm exploring the channels you were talking about! Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. Funny thing, I didn't need the rain channel this weekend. All I needed to do was open the patio door and the windows :) Lots of rain in Tucson! Net radio is pretty great, you could spend an entire weekend exploring music from all over the world. Thanks again.
Earl

TechHDS

Audioholic General
Mike,
I'm glad you are enjoying your new towers. Good music reaches the soul, especially if you have some quality speakers and electronics. I'm exploring the channels you were talking about! Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. Funny thing, I didn't need the rain channel this weekend. All I needed to do was open the patio door and the windows :) Lots of rain in Tucson! Net radio is pretty great, you could spend an entire weekend exploring music from all over the world. Thanks again.
Earl
Thanks Bro! I’m absolutely loving my Elite Towers. I wasn’t much of a “Streaming” guy, my Son’s are though, I was reading one of Phil’s post where he was streaming music stations so I gave it a try out I’m hooked now! Lol. I was on a station out of Australia one night, dude breaks in with, how some of the content was uncensored, been hooked ever since. Stations out of, Italy, Germany and so many other countries is pretty awesome! Music is definitely the worlds language.

Mike

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
ADTG,

If I had to choose one, I would choose Audyssey because I think Audyssey is the lesser of 2 evils in terms of AUTO room correction. :D

But I don't like either one or any other room EQ.

I prefer no EQ at all (like @TLS Guy). :D

For some time when I was using the Denon AVP-A1HDCI, I would use Audyssey Bypass + DEQ because I got good bass.

But since I got the CX-A5100, I realized that I just needed to manually boost the subwoofer levels to get the same effects as DEQ. :D

It is possible that Yamaha and Denon (and other brands) implement things differently.

With the Denon, I thought that boosting the subwoofer levels didn't get me the same bass effects. It's seems weird looking back.

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Open the app, click on the Settings gear at the upper right corner, scroll to Advanced Settings, click on Sound and it will be in the list.
I will try to remember this when I listen to music next time. :D

So open the MusicCast app, then to into the Advanced Settings --> Sound, then choose Bass Extension.

Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
If I had to choose one, I would choose Audyssey because I think Audyssey is the lesser of 2 evils in terms of AUTO room correction. :D

But I don't like either one or any other room EQ.

I prefer no EQ at all (like @TLS Guy). :D

For some time when I was using the Denon AVP-A1HDCI, I would use Audyssey Bypass + DEQ because I got good bass.

But since I got the CX-A5100, I realized that I just needed to manually boost the subwoofer levels to get the same effects as DEQ. :D

It is possible that Yamaha and Denon (and other brands) implement things differently.

With the Denon, I thought that boosting the subwoofer levels didn't get me the same bass effects. It's seems weird looking back.
Interesting. So when you listen to music, you listen through 'direct mode'? How about using MiniDSP?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis