Yamaha Owners’ Thread (AVR, Pre-pro, Amp)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I’ve been a Denon user for a very long time. But when my Denon AVP-A1HDCI died after 8 years and the Denon NJ factory couldn’t fix it after 2 attempts, I decided to “defect” to the Yamaha camp during the summer of 2018.

Thus, I am relatively new to Yamaha AVR, pre-pros, and amps.

What are some advices you can think of that might help new Yamaha users?

What are some cool and handy features and apps that might enhance the enjoyment?

Or if you have questions, concerns, or general thoughts, let’s hear them!

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
I’ve been a Denon user for a very long time. But when my Denon AVP-A1HDCI died after 8 years and the Denon NJ factory couldn’t fix it after 2 attempts, I decided to “defect” to the Yamaha camp during the summer of 2018.

Thus, I am relatively new to Yamaha AVR, pre-pros, and amps.

What are some advices you can think of that might help new Yamaha users?

What are some cool and handy features and apps that might enhance the enjoyment?

Or if you have questions, concerns, or general thoughts, let’s hear them!
What was wrong with the Denon?

I'm using a MusicCast WXC-50 as my preamp and it sounds good through the Parasound A23 and my speakers- using it straight, with no tweaks to the sound, at all.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
YPAO Automatic Room Correction EQ

The first thing I did after hooking up my Yamaha CX-A5100 this summer was applying YPAO.

It's very straightforward just like applying Audyssey Room Correction.

And like with Audyssey and every room correction software I've listened to (ARC, Dirac, Lyngdorf),after comparing all the YPAO room EQ settings, I thought that no EQ at all (THROUGH mode) sounded the best.

So for me, YPAO THROUGH mode is my permanent setting.

I kept all the speaker/sub distances/levels, but I boosted the Subwoofer levels (just like I did with all the Denon I've used).

And also like all my Denon, I changed the XO values. Most people would go with an XO of 80Hz, but I went with 120Hz for every speaker. Definitely try different XO settings and see which one sounds best.

Last edited:

TechHDS

Audioholic General
Unit in my system, Yamaha TRS - 7790, One of the features I like on the remote there’s a “Option” button. No mater what you are watching or listening to, you hit the option button it pulls up a menu screen where you can adjust, Tone Control , “Treable/Bass”, “YPAO Volume set to on/off”, “Adaptive DRC”, “Dialogue Level, Dailogue Lift”, “Subwoofer Trim, Extra Bass” set off/on”, “Enhancer off/on”, “Video Mode set Processing/Direct”, “Input Settings, for Input Trim, Video Out, to off/on”. Speaking for myself I use that one lil button a Lot!

Mike

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Surround Sound Decoder (Dolby Atmos, DTS-X MA, Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD MA) Display on LCD

I quickly noticed that the actual surround sound format was not showing on the LCD of my Yamaha.

Gotta have this.

So what you need to do is push the "INFO" button on the remote control or on the AVR front panel. This will toggle to the actual surround sound format.

You just have to do this once. Then it will permanently show the actual surround sound format (unless you reset the Yamaha or buy a new one :D).

Now the awesome "Dolby Atmos" and "DTS-X MA" show on the LCD.

Last edited:

TechHDS

Audioholic General
Surround Sound Decoder (Dolby Atmos, DTS-X MA, Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD MA) Display on LCD

I quickly noticed that the actual surround sound format was not showing on the LCD of my Yamaha.

Gotta have this.

So what you need to do is push the "INFO" button on the remote control. This will toggle to the actual surround sound format. Now the awesome "Dolby Atmos" and "DTS-X MA" show on the LCD.

Yep! It’s real easy! If you have your OSD up, the front Display on your “Yamaha unit will say, see on screen display for info. Can’t go wrong, it seems Yamaha’s engineers want peoples to use their brain a little bit. ;),

Hey! ADTG! Why you got them two lil Drones sitting on top ya AVR? Looks like they maybe ready to Attack anyone that messes with your gear uhu? :p

Mike

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
What was wrong with the Denon?

I'm using a MusicCast WXC-50 as my preamp and it sounds good through the Parasound A23 and my speakers- using it straight, with no tweaks to the sound, at all.
Denon AVP-A1HDCI - no volume output. About 8 years ago I bought a refurbished AVP-A1HDCI. It also didn't have any volume output to any amps. Back then I had about 5 or 6 amps to try out. I so bought a brand new AVP-A1HD from my local Ultimate Electronics store. :D

Forward 8 years later, my AVP-A1HD had the same problem - no volume output.

About Music-Cast, I think that deserves more discussion because I think it's great. :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Yep! It’s real easy! If you have your OSD up, the front Display on your “Yamaha unit will say, see on screen display for info. Can’t go wrong, it seems Yamaha’s engineers want to use your brain a little bit. ;),

Hey! ADTG! Why you got them two lil Drones sitting on top ya AVR? Looks like they maybe ready to Attack anyone that messes with your gear uhu? :p

Mike
Those drones are the AC Infinity 120mm fans from Amazon since I'm too cheap to buy that AVR cooler. :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Yamaha Remote Control App for iOS and Android - AV Controller.

This is unequivocally the best AVR remote app compared to everything else I've used.

Amazingly it works 100% for both my iPad and Android phone.

If the Center Speaker Dialogue Level is too low, I can easily boost the Dialogue Level on the remote app without having to go into any Menus or Submenus.

If the Subwoofer Trim Level is too low or too high, I can easily adjust the Subwoofer level on the remote app without having to go into any Menus or Submenus.

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Yamaha Music-Cast for Streaming Music from your iPad or Phone to your AVR.

A few years ago I started streaming music from my iPad to my Denon using AirPlay. But sometimes my iPad couldn't connect/locate my Denon's AirPlay. Sometimes it would stop playing right in the middle of the song. I thought maybe it was just my Cox Cable's 50 Mbps internet speed.

2 years ago, I moved into my new house which has AT&T's 1,000 Mbps internet speed (fiberoptic cable going from the street into my house modem). AirPlay did not improve at all on my Denon's. So I gave up and just played music files from my HTPCs, which meant turning on the TV or Projector.

Last night, I played with Yamaha's Music-Cast. Set up was straightforward - just follow the instructions on the app (iPad, Phone). One step requires pushing the "CONNECT" button on the AVR unit for about 5 seconds. This links the AVR's Music-Cast to the iPad.

Once I had this easily setup, I installed the Music Cast app for my Android phone. I thought I had to go through process of setting up again. But no. It was already set up! So setting it up on my iPad somehow also set it up on my Samsung S9+ phone! Talk about easy.

Now I've only streamed music from both my iPad and phone to the Yamaha for about 1 hour last night and for a few minutes this morning. Both worked 100% so far. I will have to give this a long-term trial.

But safe to say that from now on I will be streaming music from my phone or iPad to my Denon using Music-Cast. It seems to work 100% better than using AirPlay on my Denon's.

Yamaha also has AirPlay. But I don't see the need for using AirPlay if Music-Cast works 100%.

There's got to be another use for AirPlay somehow. Perhaps other members can shed some light. :D

MusicCast on phone.

You can even take a pic of each room.

Last edited:
S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Yamaha Music-Cast for Streaming Music from your iPad or Phone to your AVR.

A few years ago I started streaming music from my iPad to my Denon using AirPlay. But sometimes my iPad couldn't connect/locate my Denon's AirPlay. Sometimes it would stop playing right in the middle of the song. I thought maybe it was just my Cox Cable's 50 Mbps internet speed.

2 years ago, I moved into my new house which has AT&T's 1,000 Mbps internet speed (fiberoptic cable going from the street into my house modem). AirPlay did not improve at all on my Denon's. So I gave up and just played music files from my HTPCs, which meant turning on the TV or Projector.

Last night, I played with Yamaha's Music-Cast. Set up was straightforward - just follow the instructions on the app (iPad, Phone). One step requires pushing the "CONNECT" button on the AVR unit for about 5 seconds. This links the AVR's Music-Cast to the iPad.

Once I had this easily setup, I installed the Music Cast app for my Android phone. I thought I had to go through process of setting up again. But no. It was already set up! So setting it up on my iPad somehow also set it up on my Samsung S9+ phone! Talk about easy.

Now I've only streamed music from both my iPad and phone to the Yamaha for about 1 hour last night and for a few minutes this morning. Both worked 100% so far. I will have to give this a long-term trial.

But safe to say that from now on I will be streaming music from my phone or iPad to my Denon using Music-Cast. It seems to work 100% better than using AirPlay on my Denon's.

Yamaha also has AirPlay. But I don't see the need for using AirPlay if Music-Cast works 100%.

There's got to be another use for AirPlay somehow. Perhaps other members can shed some light. :D

I will have to try this. :)

I know the musiccast app controls playing songs like on the controller app when airplay or Bluetooth are used. I didn’t think to try phone to AVR on the musiccast app directly over WiFi.

I have done musiccast between Yamaha musiccast capable receivers playing Pandora from one Yamaha to multiple Yamahas before though. :). I am guessing it uses a multicast network address to pull this off possibly.

TechHDS

Audioholic General
Where is the “info” button? This is my remote.
Hey Roger, that “info” button should be right below the “Movie” and right above the “1” button. When You hit that button on your HDTV. What ever “ source” your using it will Display on your HDTV what mode your in. Also to the right side of your remote there is a “ Display button “ when you hit that button with your OSD already up on Your HDTV, two sub screens will pop up one at the top and one at the bottom “overlay”. That will let you know, what source your using/in, the -30.0 dB “ volume you’re at, and if your in 2ch stereo, or if your using something other like your” Enhancer” YPAO or DSP. So check it out see what your running your system at. Hope this helps, sorry if I messed something. Anyways may the Force be with you! :)

PS. I’ve had my Yamaha TSR - 7790 for almost a year and I’m still Learning how to use it correctly. Best of luck Sir!

Mike

Good4it

Good4it

Audioholic Chief
Which remote are you referring too? Mine for my Yamaha RX A3080 IS VERY DIFFERENT than what you described. Please show me a picture of what you are using.

TechHDS

Audioholic General
Which remote are you referring too? Mine for my Yamaha RX A3080 IS VERY DIFFERENT than what you described. Please show me a picture of what you are using.
Let me see if I can upload a photo of my remote, I forgot Yamaha changed up the remote. You do have their latest flagship unit.

Mike

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Where is the “info” button? This is my remote.
The INFO button is actually on the front panel of the AVR unit above the FM/AM button, next to MEMORY button.

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I’ve been streaming WiFi music from my Android phone to my Yamaha using MusicCast for the past few hours. Using DSU now. Loving it over 2CH. :D

So far perfect continuous music playback. No glitches. No songs turning off on its own.

I believe MusicCast is a keeper.

Last edited:

TechHDS

Audioholic General
I’ve been streaming WiFi music from my Android phone to my Yamaha using MusicCast for the past few hours. Using DSU now. Loving it over 2CH. :D

So far perfect continuous music playback. No glitches. No songs turning off on its own.

I believe MusicCast is a keeper.

I’m going to try MusicCast, I’ve just been using the ”Net” source for WebRadio. I absolutely love it! Endless streaming with a Ton of choices to your hearts desire! I use 2.1 for that. I use it everyday sometimes 24/7!, at night I find one of those “ambient,” sleep channels, Man I sleep very well!! They even have a “rain” channel! and “nature” with Forest rain sound channels! You get a very soft light rain sound with crickets, frog sounds rain splashing on leaves lite thunder sounds! I put that in a DSP mode in Dolby music mode. I call that my “therapy” channel for the Mind! Very smooth man!! :)

Mike

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis