The SEPARATES vs. AVR Thread

Do Separates (Preamps or Pre-pros + Amps) Sound Better Than AVRs in Direct/Bypass Modes?

• Yes, Separates sound better than AVRs

Votes: 40 47.6%
  • No, Separates and AVRs sound about the same

Votes: 22 26.2%
  • No, Separates and AVRs sound about the same when they are similar in price range

Votes: 22 26.2%

• Total voters
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
What he needed to tell you was that he gets more commission points off of Rotel than he does off of Marantz. ;)
Me: I liked the Denon, Marantz, and McIntosh MX122 better because they all have Audyssey XT32 DYNAMIC EQ.

Sales: The ROTEL RAP-1580 has that too!

Me: Uh, no ROTEL does NOT have Audyssey or any kind of Auto Room EQ or anything like Dynamic EQ

Sales: Well, ROTEL has it's own EQ system

Me: Uh, no, ROTEL has a manual EQ, but no auto EQ, Room EQ, or anything like Dynamic EQ.

Sales: You sure? I thought it did!

Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
Me: I liked the Denon, Marantz, and McIntosh MX122 better because they all have Audyssey XT32 DYNAMIC EQ.

Me: Uh, no ROTEL does NOT have Audyssey or any kind of Auto Room EQ or anything like Dynamic EQ

Me: Uh, no, ROTEL has a manual EQ, but no auto EQ, Room EQ, or anything like Dynamic EQ.

LOL! :D

Typical audiophool store.

Sales: But I think you'll find that the ROTEL sounds much better!

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
LOL just what is an audio "salon"? A pretentious hi-fi store?
I know you're being sarcastic but then again perhaps you do think 'Best Buy' is the cats meow when it comes to a listening environment.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I know you're being sarcastic but then again perhaps you do think 'Best Buy' is the cats meow when it comes to a listening environment.
Mebbe. Salon substituted for store does present a pretentious picture, tho. I've not found a decent listening space in BB 45 miles away, nor back when I lived in a major metro area with their Magnolia store within a store concept. A very long time ago the first "stereo store" I purchased gear from in downtown SF (now defunct), had some decent setups in a coupla rooms but...

In my own home/rooms (lol and not quite salons in my case) is my idea of the ideal listening environment....

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Literally nobody thinks that...

I do have some nice places and have been to some VERY high end places and I've found that most of them still don't have that great of a listening room. It's actually quite odd considering the level of gear they sell.

I'll have to go to the one @Pogre went to in San Antonio because it looked pretty great. Star Power in DFW is nice as can be, but their rooms weren't that great.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord

Sadly typical of BB employees.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Yeah, now I know how women feel about buying shoes and purses. They just had to buy because "it saved them money". :eek:

Wife: Why the heck did you spend $3K on something that you don't believe sounds better than a $600-on-sale AVR?
Husband: But, honey, I had to buy that McIntosh because it SAVED me $4,000 ! :po_O
Don't forget "it's soooo pretty"...

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
Literally nobody thinks that...

I do have some nice places and have been to some VERY high end places and I've found that most of them still don't have that great of a listening room. It's actually quite odd considering the level of gear they sell.

I'll have to go to the one @Pogre went to in San Antonio because it looked pretty great. Star Power in DFW is nice as can be, but their rooms weren't that great.
this (Overture) is but a 35 minute drive from my house in 'tax free' Delaware

https://overtureaudiohometheater.com

some of the best listening rooms in the country

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
this (Overture) is but a 35 minute drive from my house in 'tax free' Delaware

https://overtureaudiohometheater.com

some of the best listening rooms in the country
I'd expect it with the brands they carry.

I know there have to be some out there, but that just isn't my experience in TX so far. I've been to quite a few places and they just seem to cram a bunch of crap into a room and go from there. One had a B&W 8 series HT setup that was excellent, but that was the only room they even tried in. That was also about 9 years ago. That shop probably isn't even there anymore.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
... to see these gears. :D
Man! You're getting on my nerve!o_O
Stop saying "gears"!
These are gears:

This is gear:

LOL! I wish I knew what the meter on the TT was about!
I guess they are looking at any excuse to get a blue meter on it!

Last edited:
Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
"....rewarding its listeners with a whole new zenith of sound quality."

$13,500.00 each

We used to have a Zenith television, I wonder if that was audiophile too? I know we didn't pay that much for it.

Last edited:
Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
Sense and logic certainly have their place, but I don't know that anyone considers Vulcans and accountants to be the most exciting groups out there.
I’m sure they listen to music too. Even Spock loved jazz, classical and Led Zeppelin. :cool:

Last edited:
Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
I’m sure they listen to music too. Even Spock loved jazz, classical and Led Zeppelin. :cool:
Ahh, but Mr. Spock is half human :D Of course, I'm not sure a capacity to enjoy centuries old music exactly makes the case that he's hip and exciting either.

Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
Ahh, but Mr. Spock is half human :D Of course, I'm not sure a capacity to enjoy centuries old music exactly makes the case that he's hip and exciting either.
A little booze, a little buzz, now he’s lots of fun. ;)

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
A little booze, a little buzz, now he’s lots of fun. ;)
So IOW, Spock minus the sense and logic :p Nonetheless, bearded Spock is the best Spock.

Edit: And of course on the topic of sense and logic vs excitement as it relates to Star Trek, see the TNG episode Tapestry. If Picard isn't an impulsive shithead who gets stabbed in the heart during a bar fight as a kid, he'll end up a boring little science officer vs the captain of a starship!

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis