What New Stuff Have You Bought? If You Care To Share Thead! :)

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
Hey there sholling !

How did this work out for you? We have had a basic Acurite set for just temp and humidity and got the "you need to upgrade" email because they were not going to support the old tech anymore... Couldn't get it to work properly so we are trying to return it but when we call we cant get through. Emailed them and got a return email stating that they would get back to us in turn...
For the most part it's been a great experience. Installation of the sensor was easy but you do need to make sure that it's level and up high enough that nothing is blocking the wind gauge or redirecting wind currents. In my case that's on a 12' pole attached to the fence behind my single story house. The display is attractive and informative and includes in-home temperature and humidity as well as a forecast graphic.

The challenge for most people will be that the in-home network component requires a wired connection with internet access fairly close to the outdoor sensor. In my case I have it plugged into a network switch about 30' from the sensor and it works fine. The web based application is easy to setup and works with a smartphone app to allow you to check on the weather at home while away. This is important for me because we occasionally have strong enough winds to blow down fences. The only real frustration was getting Weather Underground to reliably use my station. WU links to the web based component and would just stop using my data for no reason. What I found was that after about two weeks the WU/Acurite link just started working reliably. I suspect that WU just needed two weeks of weather history to reliably link to my data.

I can't predict durability yet but it will need new AA batteries in the sensor every year. In my case I'm using lithium batteries because it gets down into the 20s a few nights a year. The only thing missing is a UV sensor and that's not a big deal for me because I live in a desert scrubland area in Southern California and UV is always high.

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
Good, glad you didnt have any issues.

Our old system works great... the new hub wouldn't communicate with our original sensors so we wait for customer service to resolve our issue. We couldn't get through on the phone and they are slow with email correspondence.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
You guys are correct. I just found out on another site that the ones on sale are not noise canceling. For me that's ok still a great deal. I like to hear my surroundings anyways. Most of my phone's drownout people chatter anyways. Mine would be used primarily at home and perhaps out and about very rarely.

I just found you can pair another Bluetooth headset with the JBL. Great option so you can share music or movies with another person.
Edit:
Well whatta ya know JBL Elite 700 with NC for $30 more: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079DD918L?tag=3340693-headfi-20
Looks like I'll be returning these. They sound muffled(JBL tuned to less treble?) compared to my clearer JBL S500 Synchros/Archeer AH07. Not sure if I got a bad batch. Sad cause I like most of JBL's stuff. :(

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
DJI Mavic Air Fly More Bundle
  • Went with the Bundle gives you 3 total battieres
  • Case for all your gear
  • Extra Propellers etc
  • Charging station for up to 4 Batteries
Did a 5 minute test flight today, will be my lunch time activity outside my office :)

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
One of my favorite groups. They used to (1970's) play these guys, among others, late at night after favorite rock station would go off the air. Never really thought much of it, until my older brother came to live with us for a spell and brought a proper stereo/tuner which had to be in my room.

Anyway, this is a great live album of theirs and I had to get it. Actually, I think just about everything they have ever done has been at least good, or better.

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
One of these 2nd gen. Got a good deal $14 shipped:
We just recently cut the cord on cable...now 100% streaming household...Android TVs are working great, but 2 other TVs will need a stick of some type to get streaming apps.

Was thinking of the Chromecast, but I like this price.

Your thoughts on it?

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
We just recently cut the cord on cable...now 100% streaming household...Android TVs are working great, but 2 other TVs will need a stick of some type to get streaming apps.

Your thoughts on it?
I have 1st gen fire stick. At the time of its original launch, it was simply a great device for its price.
A few firmware updates later, and now it's very slow and laggy. Pretty much it seems like Amazon goes out of their way to make their budget Fire devices work like dogs as far as usability goes.
After lots of tinkering, I've figured a way to install an alternative os on Fire 7 tablet ($25 on sale) which is very close to stock android, and it works fairly well now.

This may not apply to Stick gen 2 now, but I suspect they would cripple after next gen gets out (i expect if not this year, then next one for sure)

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
I have 1st gen fire stick. At the time of its original launch, it was simply a great device for its price.
A few firmware updates later, and now it's very slow and laggy. Pretty much it seems like Amazon goes out of their way to make their budget Fire devices work like dogs as far as usability goes.
After lots of tinkering, I've figured a way to install an alternative os on Fire 7 tablet ($25 on sale) which is very close to stock android, and it works fairly well now.

This may not apply to Stick gen 2 now, but I suspect they would cripple after next gen gets out (i expect if not this year, then next one for sure)
Thanks. Slowing down is definitely not what I need.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord

Your thoughts on it?
I read it's bit faster than the first gen + it's 5G compatible and with casting options. I should get it in 2 weeks from China. No more left at $14 unfortunately, but used goes for $20-25 on ebay. My sister owns the 2nd gen Box version and I quite liked it.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai

I have the initial and the latest Gen stick, the difference is night and day, the original is pretty much useless after updates

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord

Your thoughts on it?
I am a fan of Roku.
Primary reason is they are impartial - a search will pull up all options, not just Amazons (maybe Amazon has gotten better about this, but a friend has one of the new sticks and I noticed it was still directing me to Amazon content and I had to search harder to find what I wanted for free on NetFlix instead of having to pay for it on Amazon (I have prime, but this was not one of their free shows).
Also, I wonder if the feud between Amazon and Google over smart speakers may reach the point of excluding Google (aka YouTube) content from Amazon Fire and Amazon content from Google Chromecast.
I think the newest best Fire is a bit quicker, but the Roku is no slouch.
I also like the idea of supporting Roku as a (financially) small company which was a major force in bringing streaming to the average household rather than the corporate behemoths that are stealing our souls:eek:! Now what did I do with my tin foil hat?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I am a fan of Roku.
Primary reason is they are impartial - a search will pull up all options, not just Amazons (maybe Amazon has gotten better about this, but a friend has one of the new sticks and I noticed it was still directing me to Amazon content and I had to search harder to find what I wanted for free on NetFlix instead of having to pay for it on Amazon (I have prime, but this was not one of their free shows).
Also, I wonder if the feud between Amazon and Google over smart speakers may reach the point of excluding Google (aka YouTube) content from Amazon Fire and Amazon content from Google Chromecast.
I think the newest best Fire is a bit quicker, but the Roku is no slouch.
I also like the idea of supporting Roku as a (financially) small company which was a major force in bringing streaming to the average household rather than the corporate behemoths that are stealing our souls:eek:! Now what did I do with my tin foil hat?
I used to like Roku until their stuff started to not be quite as good and their prices went up. Their software isn't nearly as clean as Amazon. My beef with Amazon is what you mentioned though, I don't want it to always direct me to their content. It wasn't like that before.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
I used to like Roku until their stuff started to not be quite as good and their prices went up. Their software isn't nearly as clean as Amazon. My beef with Amazon is what you mentioned though, I don't want it to always direct me to their content. It wasn't like that before.
I haven't used roku in a long time, amazon is pretty convenient...

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis