What New Stuff Have You Bought? If You Care To Share Thead! :)

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Audioholic Field Marshall
Added a few more Bette Davis / Joan Crawford movies to the collection:
Another Man's Poison - 1951
Whatever Happened To Baby Jane? - 1962
The Star - 1952
The Whales of August - 1987 (blu-ray)

IMG_1518.JPG

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
Just bought this CD

Great recording. Upon further research with the artist's bio, one starts to learn a bit about the scene dating back to the 40's up to the 90's. This artist collaborated with the likes of Miles Davis, among others, and they cross-influenced each other back and forth through various evolutions of jazz, such as bebop and hard bop etc.

Long term addictions to heroin, prison terms, relocating to Paris for a decade or so and from L.A. to NY and back multiple times.

Then some insight with regard to the recording engineers of the time and some of the tactics they used to evoke some sense of trademark sound of a lounge perhaps, with the band all in the same room. At any rate, this CD is indeed well done. I would put it up there with Miles D.

I've never been a fan of jazz until I had some time to critically listen to it. Some things occur to me with this genre. I simply cannot listen to it at work and I hate it there, for not being able to wrap my mind around it. So this is all new territory and it's slowly but surely growing on me.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
Bluesound Powernode 2, replacing an NAD D3020, to power my desktop KEF LS50's.

I wasn't going to, but I found it just a royal PITA to get to at my most up-to-date and coherent library of music that lives on the Vault 2 in the other room. It's on my network via Ethernet, and I tried both Foobar 2000 and Windows Media Player, just sucked compared to BlueOS.

I got the full $350 credit I paid for the D3020 amp 3 weeks ago toward the $800 unit. Incredibly happy!
Powernode_LS50.jpg

WineOfTheVeins

WineOfTheVeins

Audioholic
A whole slough of new CDs. Gotta feed the new Marantz. Spent many hours over the weekend finding originals, brand new when possible. Thanks to https://www.discogs.com/ for helping a guy sift through all the crap on Amazon. I don't want Remasters as they typically sound horrible on any system worth their weight. {The only "RM" I got was Trapeze, because it has all of Tom Cochrane's best songs, and I didn't want to spend money on his separate albums with only 1 or 2 good songs on it Supposedly sounds good, we will see.}

Trapeze: The Collection (2CD)
Tom Cochrane & Red Rider

Three Days Grace
Three Days Grace

Beautiful Midnight
Matthew Good Band

Underdogs
Matthew Good Band

Torches
Foster the People

Audioslave
Audioslave

Out Of Exile
Audioslave

Mylo Xyloto
Coldplay

Ghost Stories
Coldplay

A Head Full Of Dreams
Coldplay

Minutes To Midnight
Linkin Park

Animal + Cannibal (Deluxe Edit
Kesha

Away from the Sun
3 Doors Down

Life Starts Now
Three Days Grace

A Boy Named Goo
The Goo Goo Dolls

Dizzy Up The Girl
The Goo Goo Dolls

Yourself Or Someone Like You
MATCHBOX TWENTY

Hybrid Theory
Linkin Park

Teenage Dream
Perry, Katy

Prism (Deluxe Jewel Case)
Perry, Katy

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
I have 5 of those, all bought when they came out. Nice choices, though Katy Perry is never going to be on any list of mine.

WineOfTheVeins

WineOfTheVeins

Audioholic
I have 5 of those, all bought when they came out. Nice choices, though Katy Perry is never going to be on any list of mine.
Seems you have good taste. :p Katy is a guilty pleasure of mine, what can I say. I also was going to order Evanescence; Fallen but my friend told me no, she has an original 2003 copy that's she's giving to me. Swish.

Do you find that also? Remaster editions of albums typically sound worse? I am hunting for some old Fleetwood Mac albums, specifically Rumours and Mirage. There is a Reissue of Rumours I found, I wonder if that is the same as the old ones, just made more copies of it? There is a Reissue and a Reissue/Remaster. Maybe I buy the Reissue and hope for the best?
I wish I would have bought some of these albums when they first came out.

https://www.discogs.com/Fleetwood-Mac-Rumours/release/5016725

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
Well, there are two things I like about Katy Perry but not the place to discuss them.

As for remastering, they're all over the map. There first CD's of Fleetwood Mac's "Rumors" album were horrible compared to the original vinyl I have. On Today HiFi, wherever they're using is far better.

It's really hit or miss. Some do suck, more are well done, especially most with the mastering engineer's name on them.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
... Katy Perry is never going to be on any list of mine.
Hater!:p

You might consider her unplugged album:
I'm a fan when she doesn't get into the Rap thing!

In my defense, Jon Anderson (Singer for "Yes") listed her as one of the his favorite contemporary vocalists!

Last edited:
KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
Hater!:p

You might consider her unplugged album:

In my defense, Jon Anderson (Singer for "Yes") listed her as one of the his favorite contemporary vocalists!
OK, so I just went to Tidal HiFi and listened to that whole Unplugged album, stem to stern. It's good and her voice isn't as piercing as some of the teen pop she started with. I can appreciate the voice, not necessarily the song choices. To me, it's a package deal. Still not a fan. Sorry.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
@WineOfTheVeins

Why NEW CDs?

I like to save several $ on USED CDs. As long as there are no deep scratches, they play just as good as new! Use EAC to rip them to HDD, then archive the disc.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
OK, so I just went to Tidal HiFi and listened to that whole Unplugged album, stem to stern. It's good and her voice isn't as piercing as some of the teen pop she started with. I can appreciate the voice, not necessarily the song choices. To me, it's a package deal. Still not a fan. Sorry.
No worries, I love her voice and the way she can express so much with her inflections; but what I would really like is if she were to go with a Norah Jones or Melody Gardot route with her music! It is a shame seeing her voice get lost in the "Thumpa-thumpa" music and to having to shout the lyrics. She has a powerful voice, but the details she is capable of get lost.
However, I doubt we will see that anytime soon. Paycheck wise, that would not be her best move.
I'll still hold out hope that she might eventually go that direction (like the way Eric Clapton and Sting did after having their stint in the "pop spotlight") and I'll still be able to appreciate it when she does.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Is it just me or is blue jeans getting more expensive?
Prices may have to go up since they are still just a small shop. When you start to compare larger companies like Amazon basics and Monoprice, they're able to make them for less, but not at the same quality IMO. The quality they provide is still worth the price to me.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Prices may have to go up since they are still just a small shop. When you start to compare larger companies like Amazon basics and Monoprice, they're able to make them for less, but not at the same quality IMO. The quality they provide is still worth the price to me.
I'm pretty sure the cost of Copper also goes up pretty much every year.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
That's basically what I mean. The cost of business goes up in general so the cost for goods goes up too, possibly more for a small business.
Gotcha, yeah, buying in bulk definitely helps the bottom line.

WineOfTheVeins

WineOfTheVeins

Audioholic
@WineOfTheVeins

Why NEW CDs?

I like to save several $ on USED CDs. As long as there are no deep scratches, they play just as good as new! Use EAC to rip them to HDD, then archive the disc.
I thought about used, even filled up my cart with them, but became skeptical of the condition ratings on Amazon. I don't mind buying used when it's in person and I can inspect the disc. One vendor in particular had every single CD listing as "Very Good", even some 15+ year old albums; Amazon's policy on conditions are a little broad. "A well-cared-for item that has seen limited use but remains in great condition. The item is complete, unmarked, and undamaged, but may show some limited signs of wear. Item works perfectly." That could be open for debate when trying to get a refund on a disc that has scratches; some might say that's normal wear. The vendor I bought from had brand new for only a couple more dollars each, even on par with used for some. Like $6 CDN for brand new, can't go wrong. I know I take pristine care of my stuff, can't say everyone else does. Leaving CDs out, face up or down on the table because they're too lazy to put it back in the case.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi

I thought about used, even filled up my cart with them, but became skeptical of the condition ratings on Amazon. I don't mind buying used when it's in person and I can inspect the disc. One vendor in particular had every single CD listing as "Very Good", even some 15+ year old albums; Amazon's policy on conditions are a little broad. "A well-cared-for item that has seen limited use but remains in great condition. The item is complete, unmarked, and undamaged, but may show some limited signs of wear. Item works perfectly." That could be open for debate when trying to get a refund on a disc that has scratches; some might say that's normal wear. The vendor I bought from had brand new for only a couple more dollars each, even on par with used for some. Like $6 CDN for brand new, can't go wrong. I know I take pristine care of my stuff, can't say everyone else does. Leaving CDs out, face up or down on the table because they're too lazy to put it back in the case.

For me it was hit or miss if those used ones really were in the condition they claim. With some vendors I've had excellent results. Once in a while they're not up to par as for what condition was claimed, so YMMV. If the price is right, then sometimes I can live with it as long as it plays.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis