What New Stuff Have You Bought? If You Care To Share Thead! :)

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
Congrats and welcome to small but growing espresso fan club on AH.
Aeropress is probably one of cheapest ways to get very close to espresso at home.
I'm using it mostly for making Americanos. I used pour over previously, but found it to be time consuming when making multiple cups. So far, I'm quite impressed with it. The speed of making a cup is great, as is the flavor/smoothness of the cup.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Well folks I finally got the desk that I have been wanting. The ONLY caveat is that I got it in white as opposed to cherry or even black. But, given the deal that I got on it there certainly are no complaints. In fact, it looks better than I thought that it would. :):):) And now, comes the pics:

upload_2017-11-29_15-39-5.png

upload_2017-11-29_15-40-16.png

upload_2017-11-29_15-41-39.png

upload_2017-11-29_15-42-40.png

upload_2017-11-29_15-43-46.png

Here is what I have now:

upload_2017-11-29_15-45-58.png

upload_2017-11-29_15-46-51.png

Got some work to do! ;););)

Cheers,

Phil

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm using it mostly for making Americanos. I used pour over previously, but found it to be time consuming when making multiple cups. So far, I'm quite impressed with it. The speed of making a cup is great, as is the flavor/smoothness of the cup.
hmmm, they all say that, until one bright day by an accident you create more pressure and have to press a bit harder, the result would be much closer to espresso.
Before my madness with my espresso begun full swing, I used for a while moka pot - cheap and very good tasting covfefe :rolleyes::p

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
That's a good deal. I don't really care all that much about Alexa, but I use it sometimes to control my living room TV. This will replace the Echo Dot I have sitting below the current thermostat.

My main use will be the sensors. My house is efficient, but sometimes certain rooms are way off what the thermostat temp says. That and my current one is too stupid to use my hot and cool points properly. Very annoying.
I just received an Ecobee!
Same as you, the current T-stat is in my downstairs foyer which is open to upstairs. I get cooked by teh heat in the master BR (downstairs) since the heat at the T-stat has a second level to rise to.
I got lucky - Georgia power company gave an instant rebate so I paid $100 each for an Ecobee and a Nest. The rebate was only good for one of each so I went with a Nest for the upstairs system.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I have always loved the Martin Logan (electrostatic) sound!
However, between the extremely tight sweet spot, some non-realistic artifacts, and the price; they could never be my only/primary speakers.
I happened across a pair of ML Vistas in Curly Maple on Craigslist for $1600. As an alternate "fun speaker", I am having a blast experiencing my "old familiars" on them!

https://www.martinlogan.com/products/vista
https://hometheaterreview.com/martinlogan-vista-hybrid-electrostatic-loudspeaker-reviewed/

Last edited:
panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I just received an Ecobee!
Same as you, the current T-stat is in my downstairs foyer which is open to upstairs. I get cooked by teh heat in the master BR (downstairs) since the heat at the T-stat has a second level to rise to.
I got lucky - Georgia power company gave an instant rebate so I paid $100 each for an Ecobee and a Nest. The rebate was only good for one of each so I went with a Nest for the upstairs system.
So far I really like the ecobee 4. The Alexa integration is pretty much useless as it seems it has to be awake and you have to be standing right in front. Not an issue, but kind of annoying.

As for the remote sensors, they work great. I'm very surprised how even the temp is now. My kids rooms are always too hot/cold just like my bedroom and this has totally solved that problem. The hot/cold set points work flawlessly.

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Audioholic Field Marshall
However, between the extremely tight sweet spot, some non-realistic artifacts, and the price; they could never be my only/primary speakers.
I happened across a pair of ML Vistas in Curly Maple on Craigslist for $1600. As an alternate "fun speaker", I am having a blast experiencing my "old familiars" on them!

https://hometheaterreview.com/martinlogan-vista-hybrid-electrostatic-loudspeaker-reviewed/
Do you have the ML and 'primary' speakers attached to a switch, to easily swap between them?

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Do you have the ML and 'primary' speakers attached to a switch, to easily swap between them?
No, have them in different rooms.
I will probably do a comparison eventually to try to get a better idea of exactly what makes the electrostatic sound different.
Also, when I said "However, between the extremely tight sweet spot, some non-realistic artifacts, and the price; they could never be my only/primary speakers.", I should point out that what I am saying is I could handle any two of the three, but all three combined always kept me away. In this case, the price barrier was removed, so I now own them!

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Bought LG 43 inch non smart TV for my bedroom -- settled on this after doing in home testing with Vizio, Samsung, and another LG smart TV -- Vizio is a little fuzzy, Samsung picture fades too quick, and the LG smart TV had slow response and picture color not as good as their non smart TV -- smart TVs seem to not impress me. The LG I bought was only $249 and I like it better than my former Sony smart TV
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-43-class-42-5-diag--led-1080p-hdtv/5803106.p?skuId=5803106

Goodband

Goodband

Audioholic
A new integrated amplifier (Rotel A12) to replace my Onkyo Tx-8020. I'm now set
with great speaker (LS50) good source (Yamaha BD-S681) and a good integrated amplifier with a lot of features (BT aptX, USB 2.0 input, a good dac. Really happy with my budget system!

Envoyé de mon Nexus 4 en utilisant Tapatalk

Last edited:
N

Norm Lazure

Audioholic Intern
driving 3 hours Monday to pick up a Classe 5100, 5 channel power amp I am psyched.

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
My only holiday related audio purchases have been my HD6xx cans and my JBL LSR305 speakers. Fall/winter projects have been plentiful though. I now have smart wall switches, dimmers, and/or plugs in almost every room of the house which are tied in with my Harmony Elite and Harmony Hub and my Echos. The Ring doorbell and floodlight cams are installed, and the last of my fluorescent lights and tubes have all been replaced by LEDs. I did pick up a couple of tablets (a 9.7" Samsung Tab S2 and a late 2017 Amazon Fire 10) which I guess is germane because they can and will be used to watch videos.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
My go to for that vintage, Pre-CBS Fender Strat/Super Reverb amp tone. Second CD I picked up from this artist. Uses no pedals or other effects. Very good player at any rate.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja

These are just secondary speakers? That's pretty darn righteous for someone to drop $1600 on alternate speakers just because. I would too!

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
My go to for that vintage, Pre-CBS Fender Strat/Super Reverb amp tone. Second CD I picked up from this artist. Uses no pedals or other effects. Very good player at any rate.

I have become a fan of Ronnie Earl & the broadcasters as well. Just this last year Pandora introduced them to me. I wish Pandora had higher resolution. I can't say I notice problems in routine listening.
I love having a service that finds similar music and presents it to me mixed in with the music I selected! It isn't perfect, but that's what the thumbs down is 4!

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
I wish Pandora had higher resolution. I can't say I notice problems in routine listening.
Higher than what? The free version?

I have the Plus 192 kbps which is noticeably better than 128 kbps that comes with Free but there's a Premium that I'm not familiar with. There is a 'higher' resolution but maybe you mean higher than 192.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja

I have the Plus 192 kbps which is noticeably better than 128 kbps that comes with Free but there's a Premium that I'm not familiar with. There is a 'higher' resolution but maybe you mean higher than 192.
I have the pay version as well and it does good enough. It's worth it just to have ad free listening at any rate, which has been my main, entertainment goal.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord

I do (of course) wish that Pandora Free had higher resolution, but thanks for reminding me that the paid version was higher resolution. The last time I researched Pandora was when I first started using it and paying for it was not a consideration. Now that it has become an important "feature" of my life, $60/year (or $48 for annual subscription) is entirely reasonable for the upgrade in audio quality! Thanks!

Here is a limited table of the different levels. Pandora does not seem to distinguish between Plus and Premium for resolution, so I doubt there is an improvement in resolution.
https://help.pandora.com/customer/en/portal/articles/84834-information-about-pandora-subscriptions

One thing the Pandora chart does not point out is that Premium is not yet available for devices like Roku and Amazon Alexa. 90% of my listening is done using these devices

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis