Incorporating MiniDSP With Audyssey XT32

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
You mean if you use minidsp for subs only. Otherwise there would no be need for Audissey?
Audyssey.

I have better, more even bass extension now than I did before I incorporated the mini. I have an even smoother response after running Audyssey. It's not just a little better, it's definitely audibly better. I got the results I wanted and now I know how to tweak it further if I choose.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Between 70hz and 90hz there were big dips at both frequencies that created a deep saddle. Audyssey was having trouble dealing with it. I used the mini to tame some of that down, then ran Audyssey again. Between the mini and Audyssey I've pretty much eliminated that dip and my bass has a lot more punch with kick drum, explosions, etc.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
You mean if you use minidsp for subs only. Otherwise there would no be need for Audissey?
More a preference and room specific thing than a need. Some will just use minidsp for below Schroeder frequency, some find further benefits by then running Audyssey for further integration with the mains as well as what it does above Schroeder.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
More a preference and room specific thing than a need. Some will just use minidsp for below Schroeder frequency, some find further benefits by then running Audyssey for further integration with the mains as well as what it does above Schroeder.
I was gonna type that too, but I'm starting to feel a sense of futility with him at this point.

I could not care less about dac's, dsp's, bits, bytes, digital, analog, if Audyssey is useless or if the mini is useless (which is very subjective, btw) as far as this thread goes. I just wanted some positive results, put some work into it and I got more than I expected. I'm super happy with how everything sounds now.

@Andrein, start another thread about it if you want to discuss it. Don't clog mine up with it. Conversations like that go nowhere and I think you know it.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I think this is reasonable. If he had two miniDSP's (one for the subs and one for the mains), he may be able to get equal or better results. Of course, then you have to consider whether to buy two additional miniDSP's for the center and surrounds.
As far as DAC and bit rates, Set your crossover to 100Hz, unplug all of your speakers and listen to your sub(s) alone and tell me about all of the subtle details that will be lost with a slower bit-rate.
This might be an issue in the mid-range where our hearing is most sensitive (I have no idea, I have not researched it), but I cannot imagine it mattering for the bottom end!
However, as Pogre suggests, start a new thread targeting specifically what you are interested in discussing.
This thread has a good future as a collective of mini-DSP experiences/testimonies and it would be nice if it stays focused instead of becoming diluted with digressions.
@Pogre, you may want to PM one of the moderators about changing the name of the thread to reflect it's evolution to focus on miniDSP

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I think this is reasonable. If he had two miniDSP's (one for the subs and one for the mains), he may be able to get equal or better results. Of course, then you have to consider whether to buy two additional miniDSP's for the center and surrounds.
As far as DAC and bit rates, Set your crossover to 100Hz, unplug all of your speakers and listen to your sub(s) alone and tell me about all of the subtle details that will be lost with a slower bit-rate.
This might be an issue in the mid-range where our hearing is most sensitive (I have no idea, I have not researched it), but I cannot imagine it mattering for the bottom end!
However, as Pogre suggests, start a new thread targeting specifically what you are interested in discussing.
This thread has a good future as a collective of mini-DSP experiences/testimonies and it would be nice if it stays focused instead of becoming diluted with digressions.
@Pogre, you may want to PM one of the moderators about changing the name of the thread to reflect it's evolution to focus on miniDSP
Yeah, I did take a poke at that. If my mini was a 4x4 I could do it. I could do it now, but I'd lose my dedicated lfe channel. Not worth it. I think it would be interesting to see what Audyssey does with the entire frequency range already smoothed instead of just lfe. Based on what I got it just might improve on the improvement in the upper frequencies as well.

I pm'd Stormy and asked if he'd change the title to "Incorporating MiniDSP With Audyssey XT32".

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Oh man, Slipknot sounds so much better now! I haven't listened to them in a while. A lot of their bass is in the range where I had that dip I guess. Might have to dust off a couple of cd's...

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Oh man, Slipknot sounds so much better now! I haven't listened to them in a while. A lot of their bass is in the range where I had that dip I guess. Might have to dust off a couple of cd's...
One of my favorite bands. Their newest album is pretty good. Iowa and the first one are still the best.

Also, threw me off with the thread title change.

A

Andrein

Senior Audioholic
I was gonna type that too, but I'm starting to feel a sense of futility with him at this point.

I could not care less about dac's, dsp's, bits, bytes, digital, analog, if Audyssey is useless or if the mini is useless (which is very subjective, btw) as far as this thread goes. I just wanted some positive results, put some work into it and I got more than I expected. I'm super happy with how everything sounds now.

@Andrein, start another thread about it if you want to discuss it. Don't clog mine up with it. Conversations like that go nowhere and I think you know it.
Thought my question was related to the topic. Just wanted a summary of why both are used at the same time as others could have the same question.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Basically yes.
I would disagree, to certain extent, for now. My mini should be here next week and hope to learn more about this. It seems to me people are quick to discount Audyssey SubEQ HT's capability a little too much, probably from hearsay and Placebo.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Between 70hz and 90hz there were big dips at both frequencies that created a deep saddle. Audyssey was having trouble dealing with it. I used the mini to tame some of that down, then ran Audyssey again. Between the mini and Audyssey I've pretty much eliminated that dip and my bass has a lot more punch with kick drum, explosions, etc.
That's my experience so far, except my dips weren't as much so if my SVS's build in PEQ has more flexibility to choose the frequency and Q, I would not need the mini for sure. I am hoping the mini will allow me to boost that dip by 3 dB or so. I probably won't get the kind of obvious audible benefits you are getting.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Thought my question was related to the topic. Just wanted a summary of why both are used at the same time as others could have the same question.
He did summarize.. ATL also use both, obviously if there's no benefits there would have done it. Thanks to them by next weekend I may be in the water too. Can't you have a little faith in Audyssey too? Their founder is also a PhD in EE and specialized in this field. Dr. Floyd is great but there are others too.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I would disagree, to certain extent, for now. My mini should be here next week and hope to learn more about this. It seems to me people are quick to discount Audyssey SubEQ HT's capability a little too much, probably from hearsay and Placebo.
Yeah peng, I was maybe a little dismissive in my answer there. I do agree that using them together, is best. XT32 with sub EQ is really comprehensive, but together with the mini is in the next level.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Yeah peng, I was maybe a little dismissive in my answer there. I do agree that using them together, is best. XT32 with sub EQ is really comprehensive, but together with the mini is in the next level.
That wasn't directed to you at all, my remark was based on what I read from other sites in the past. I remember in one case, someone was comparing different REQ during which he even wrong information by saying Audyssey does not work in the time domain when in fact working in the time domain was one of Audyssey's selling point right from day one when they had the multEQ and then the XT version. So I figure lots of the negative comments about Audyssey were valid but many were simply perpetuated by hearsay, not really accurate information. Audyssey has been relatively widely adopted by manufacturers such as NAD, Denon, Marantz, Onkyo and others so it is understandable they became a target.

Regardless of the results of my future experiment with the miniDSP, I will still need Audyssey on, because I listen to 10dB spl below reference.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
That's been my experience so far. Audyssey didn't do a terrible job, but there was a little room for improvement. Turns out those little improvements translated audibly.

When I started this thread I really didn't think I was going to improve on anything. I figured it was going to be a case of, "you've got it as good as you can for your room". I did not think this would go 19 pages and end with me incorporating my mini and improving my bass response. It's real, and I'm tickled pink by the results.

ATLAudio

ATLAudio

Senior Audioholic
Audyssey has to make many assumptions in order for it to work as advertised. That is place a mic in a few places, hit a button, and you're done. No math, and no measuring. The greater your correction needs for LFE, the less effective these assumptions become. Granted, I've yet to see Audyssey not improve a system, but when you give Audyssey a flat response on your subs via MiniDSP, THEN run Audyssey, you'll get far more out it.

Last edited:
KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Regardless of the results of my future experiment with the miniDSP, I will still need Audyssey on, because I listen to 10dB spl below reference.
What, exactly do you mean here? Are you talking Dynamic EQ or something else?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
You know, to be honest I was kicking myself a little for wasting money on the mini as it sat for a couple of months unopened and unused in a drawer. Now I'm really glad I got it!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis