Thoughts and prayers for Paris, France.

C

Chu Gai

Audioholic Samurai
I like Neil deGrasse Tyson, but as some may recall, he really flubbed it when it came to deflategate at last initially.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
All well and good as far as evolution of physical beings goes, but what about the creation of life itself from absolutely nothing? I think this was brought up before but I haven't seen any good answers.

Has anyone come up with an explanation for that?
There is no explanation yet, only hypotheses for how it *might* occur. The moment that life was created on Earth, or its arrival from somewhere else (panspermia), is not an event that can be discovered, because it is not a reoccurring phenomenon. And given the evidence that all life on Earth is related, a successful process seems to have occurred only once. So the only way we'll ever really know how it's done is if people figure out how to recreate the process in a laboratory. Frankly, given the potentially horrible consequences of being able to create life out of inanimate matter, I hope we don't find the answer you're looking for. If you want to believe there was a pre-existing intelligence behind the process, I say fine with me. I can't prove it's wrong. I don't believe that myself, but that's just an opinion. Of course, that begs the question of where that supreme intelligence came from, so the argument gets circular. This was one of the issues, incidentally, that Hoyle was attempting to address. His hypothesis was that the intelligence existed in the infinitely distant future, and did micro-intervention through time (I'm not kidding) to support its existence by affect its past, all of which leads to its own creation.

C

Chu Gai

Audioholic Samurai
All well and good as far as evolution of physical beings goes, but what about the creation of life itself from absolutely nothing? I think this was brought up before but I haven't seen any good answers.

Define life.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator

Yes Steve Hawkins has. In quantum physics particles randomly come in and out of existence. The same is true before the Big Bang when time did NOT exist and the universe was infinitesimally small where quantum mechanics must be considered.

See: http://www.hawking.org.uk/the-beginning-of-time.html
and

http://www.hawking.org.uk/the-origin-of-the-universe.html

Last edited:
crossedover

crossedover

Audioholic Chief
Quotes from Einstein

“Behind all the discernible concatenations, there remains something subtle, intangible and inexplicable. Veneration for this force is my religion. To that extent, I am in point of fact, religious.”[8]

“Every scientist becomes convinced that the laws of nature manifest the existence of a spirit vastly superior to that of men.”[9]

“Everyone who is seriously involved in the pursuit of science becomes convinced that a spirit is manifest in the laws of the universe – a spirit vastly superior to that of man.”[10]

“The divine reveals itself in the physical world.”[11]

“My God created laws… His universe is not ruled by wishful thinking but by immutable laws.”[12]

“I want to know how God created this world. I want to know his thoughts.”[13]

“What I am really interested in knowing is whether God could have created the world in a different way.”[14]

“This firm belief in a superior mind that reveals itself in the world of experience, represents my conception of God.”[15]

“My religiosity consists of a humble admiration of the infinitely superior spirit, …That superior reasoning power forms my idea of God.”[16]

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Quotes from Einstein

“Behind all the discernible concatenations, there remains something subtle, intangible and inexplicable. Veneration for this force is my religion. To that extent, I am in point of fact, religious.”[8]

“Every scientist becomes convinced that the laws of nature manifest the existence of a spirit vastly superior to that of men.”[9]

“Everyone who is seriously involved in the pursuit of science becomes convinced that a spirit is manifest in the laws of the universe – a spirit vastly superior to that of man.”[10]

“The divine reveals itself in the physical world.”[11]

“My God created laws… His universe is not ruled by wishful thinking but by immutable laws.”[12]

“I want to know how God created this world. I want to know his thoughts.”[13]

“What I am really interested in knowing is whether God could have created the world in a different way.”[14]

“This firm belief in a superior mind that reveals itself in the world of experience, represents my conception of God.”[15]

“My religiosity consists of a humble admiration of the infinitely superior spirit, …That superior reasoning power forms my idea of God.”[16]
On Einstein and God:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religious_views_of_Albert_Einstein

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Bizarro_Stormy

Bizarro_Stormy

Audioholics Whac-A-Mole'er™
Has he proven it yet? Has he actually created life? Has anyone? If not, then it's still a theory.
Well... not to be facetious, but...

Has Cruz or Trump proven God Exists..?
Are Cruz or Trump actually God..?
Are we all God..?
If not, then God is still a theory...

See what I did there..?

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Has he proven it yet? Has he actually created life? Has anyone? If not, then it's still a theory.
Nobody is arguing it isn't a theory but we have observed particles coming in and out of existence all the time in the lab. Quantum Mechanics is pretty well understood. The goal of science is to disprove itself which continually challenges theories until they can be proven to be a law or absolute. Faith is the suspension of critical thinking. Faith literally has to make stuff up when something can't be figured out with our limited understanding of the world around us.

Note this does NOT mean I am against faith or religion, just trying to explain the different thought processes between the two.

On the flip side, I'm still waiting for real DNA evidence from Jesus and uncovering of Noah's Arc to prove those stories in the Bible are true. Until then it's just faith.

Last edited:
M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Nobody is arguing it isn't a theory but we have observed particles coming in and out of existence all the time in the lab. Quantum Mechanics is pretty well understood.

On the flip side, I'm still waiting for real DNA evidence from Jesus and uncovering of Noah's Arc to prove those stories in the Bible are true. Until then it's just faith.
So, you're asking more proof of them than you are of those great minds you quote?

There are many journals of people other than those from his deciples, such as Josephus and Tacitus, that can chronicle Jesus's existence. Just because you didn't witness it yourself you deny his existence? The same could be said about the holocaust, couldn't it?

As for quantum physics being so well understood, why haven't they been able to create life yet? "Particles coming into and out of existence" doesn't constitute creating life, does it? If you expect me to accept that as proof of creating life, then you should be able to accept what history and The Bible says.

Bizarro_Stormy

Bizarro_Stormy

Yep...
That's what I was getting at with my post...

Having faith in a higher power is, in a sense, itself a theory...
It's not proven that there is a higher power...
but if you look around at the splendor of it all, something/someone had to play a part in our existence...

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
In any case, how does this tie into the atrocity in France?

Has anyone read "The Sirens of Titan"?

Bizarro_Stormy

Bizarro_Stormy

In any case, how does this tie into the atrocity in France?
I'm assuming that the discussion of the religion of the terrorists prompted the whole kitandkaboodal...

One thing led to another...

and here we are... :)

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
I'm assuming that the discussion of the religion of the terrorists prompted the whole kitandkaboodal...

One thing led to another...

and here we are... :)
Interesting turn to be sure. We start out talking about taking life and now we're talking about creating it.

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
This thread is an example of what world governments want their people / sheep to do.
Be distracted and argue around the periphery.
Keep paying more and more taxes with hope of being protected by the government. The very governments that caused the problems in the first place.
Oh, and when the sheep slowly grow tired of being controlled by religion... create the new religion of Science and control them with that.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis