Really Boring Stuff Only III: Resurrection

Bryceo

Bryceo

Banned
Hahahahaha. You need to have eye protection and gloves I got sunburn from welding one time there the worst feeling in the world.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Hahahahaha. You need to have eye protection and gloves I got sunburn from welding one time there the worst feeling in the world.
Yeah, I'm going to have a face shield, gloves, and a long sleeve shirt that I don't care about on.

Well, or just not use the welder...

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
Are you serious that is the hakuna matata song, hurry up and lose that thing again, that vide is depressing as FK too... What is wrong with you? :D go listen to some pick floyd, its easy to find..
I don't listen to world music often. I just had it stuck on my brain and had to listen to it for relief. You're right about the video though. I don't get why there's a random elephant and Indian, and Mark Twain in the middle of the slide show either.

I used to dig Floyd long ago, back before I heard it done horribly so often at karaoke. Maybe I'll find some Rush instead.

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
Yeah, I'm going to have a face shield, gloves, and a long sleeve shirt that I don't care about on.
Why does that sound so much like your first Twister competition?

:D

Last edited:
BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Man, you are tough, lol...

So they are installing a water treatment system, gas ine to your grill, and cleaned the dryer vent all for $1200? That doesn't sound terrible to me..
For example, I am going over my slips from today, I just got home and the end of the week I take the weeks invoices and go through them to make sure there is not anything crazy in there, like a free boiler or $20 cleaning that should be $200 {these things have happened}...

For example- emp3 and 6 left the shop in a single vehicle {just a service truck} at 7:42 arrived at customers property at 8:14 and left at 1:51, arrived at their second job at 2:11, their work description reads, "
repaired domestic water line stop valve, shut water feed at curb stop, drained water below level, removed and repaired stop with teflon packing and replacement valve stem
Drained and removed electric water heater tank, model Rheem xsa40
Installed American Water Heater Model HPE10260H045DV 60 ga hybrid model
Set units pressures and tested function, A+
cleaned and removed old tank, all packing materials and trash from the site"

The total on that invoice is $3789 {$2000 of that is taxable so $140 of that is tax}, the tank cost me $1020 other materials around $250, the labor and transportation cost me around $600, figure 2 guys for 6 hours so its 12 man hours at $50 per hour {one is just a helper, but after adding in the truck and their entire pay package it is all of $50 an hour}, so just going off them numbers the job profit is just under $1800. I think that is about fair, considering they are driving a $40K truck with $10K in tools $5K instock, insurance, licences, they left my building in the morning that cost me $750K, ect ect ect, that stuff adds up, it has to come from somewhere..

I hate when customers do this to me, it doesn't happen much anymore, but when I used to do the work myself with a helper, and was small, I would install an oil fired boiler for say $5000, it was $2500 of materials, leaving $2500 for me, but that had to go towards my expenses and my income. Now I would deliver the boiler the day before the job, then go and install it, the installs take me with a single helper around 7 hours for the basic swap out, start to finish all cleaned up...

Well, I had a few customers come out with their calculators and say "hey I called and I can get that boiler for $1400, you charged me $5000 so you are making $3600 and was here for 7 hours, I am not paying you over $500 an hour!!!' and I had really good prices when I started, no one installs boilers for $5K around here, and I do really nice wrok with really nice units and materials, no corners cut, you get a nice finished product... I dealt with them in all different ways I would say, "Ill pull it out and you can hire someone else, you think it wen tin fast watch how fast it will go back on my truck" or some customers I would explain it to them about other materials and over head, some needed to see that I could put a lean on their property and they wont be able to sell it until I get paid and interest and legal fees {that happened once, and his poor daughter ended up paying after he passed away because the probate judge awarded us $9K over what he owed for some reason, I offered her a credit but she said she didn't want it, it was a weird situation...

BUT ANYWAY, if they did good work and you agreed on the price before they started, they did it by the book, you kind of don't have a leg to stand on, the price sounds good to me, I wouldn't dig the trench for that kind of money never mind pipe it, I get $60 a foot for buried gas lines and $20 for exposed indoors, BUT it is done by the book, permit pulled, lawn cut and rolled back, run the trencher through a single pass and hand dig as little as possible, run the plastic gas line with the detectable tracer wire and yellow gas caution tape, use steel risers at the grill and a steel riser or steel termination at the house, psi test it, back fill it under pressure, run all the threaded steel pipe in the house {I don't use csst, we do steel pipe only for gas, some lp get copper but that is rare..}, reinstall your lawn, blow off the grass and clean it all up... Unless the inspector comes that day you have to lay it all out, wait for them to come back and then back fill it after they sign off on the permit.... Its a lot of work and a lot of materials...
Gas Vent clean - Angies list deal - 50% off at $69
35ft Gas line run - $1200
Whole house water filter - $2000

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
Gas Vent clean - Angies list deal - 50% off at $69
35ft Gas line run - $1200
Whole house water filter - $2000
Yah you got fk'd, no sa, lol.. I don't know what kind of whole house filter you hand installed, do you have well water or city water, these things need to be done very well or you will have issues, I pay a company to come and balance mine, but it is well water... A friend of mine owns the company and he tells many people that they don't need a system just a sediment filter... Some treatment systems are more trouble then they are worth...

But I install a 4 stage whole house filter system with lead free 3 way bypass valves for around $1000. This is all it is- first the water goes to one of these 10X4.5" filters with a cheap 16 micron pleated filter in it 10x4 5" Clear Water Filter Housing 1" NPT Brassport Whole House Ro Di Biodiesel | eBay then this rig after it with a carbon filter and another pair of sediment filters down to .5 micron Triple Stage 10x2 5" Clear Filter Housing w Mounting Bracket 3 4" NPT Brassport | eBay
That gives you 4 stages of filtration... I onlym ake around $500 after the install

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Yah you got fk'd, no sa, lol.. I don't know what kind of whole house filter you hand installed, do you have well water or city water, these things need to be done very well or you will have issues, I pay a company to come and balance mine, but it is well water... A friend of mine owns the company and he tells many people that they don't need a system just a sediment filter... Some treatment systems are more trouble then they are worth...

But I install a 4 stage whole house filter system with lead free 3 way bypass valves for around $1000. This is all it is- first the water goes to one of these 10X4.5" filters with a cheap 16 micron pleated filter in it 10x4 5" Clear Water Filter Housing 1" NPT Brassport Whole House Ro Di Biodiesel | eBay then this rig after it with a carbon filter and another pair of sediment filters down to .5 micron Triple Stage 10x2 5" Clear Filter Housing w Mounting Bracket 3 4" NPT Brassport | eBay
That gives you 4 stages of filtration... I onlym ake around $500 after the install
Surprisingly, it's not the water system which bugs me . Like I said before - very similar (but a bit lower model) was quoted to install for $1400 back in 2011 - so I gather if mine is a bit better, I figure. You are looking at wrong models here buddy - mine is more like this one:
Sediment Filter Plus 1 5CF 10x54 | eBay but mine is with electronic controls.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
Surprisingly, it's not the water system which bugs me . Like I said before - very similar (but a bit lower model) was quoted to install for $1400 back in 2011 - so I gather if mine is a bit better, I figure. You are looking at wrong models here buddy - mine is more like this one:
Sediment Filter Plus 1 5CF 10x54 | eBay but mine is with electronic controls.
OK, so a timer backwash, sand filter... I prefer paper filters, when done in enough stages the you change the cheap filters and they work better IMO, you still have to {or should} put an element filter in that system also... That isnt a bad price, none of the prices look bad to me, I think you did well... Are you happy with the worksmenship?

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
OK, so a timer backwash, sand filter... I prefer paper filters, when done in enough stages the you change the cheap filters and they work better IMO, you still have to {or should} put an element filter in that system also... That isnt a bad price, none of the prices look bad to me, I think you did well... Are you happy with the worksmenship?
What most bugs me now is that contracor assured me that I don't need permits, but a simple check showed me that I absolutely do need them. I am angry at myself for not checking it sooner.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Also, my system is timed backwash, but not sand, its carbon fiber
I think in CT you must use salt free softener

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
What most bugs me now is that contracor assured me that I don't need permits, but a simple check showed me that I absolutely do need them. I am angry at myself for not checking it sooner.
YOU NEED PERMITS, THAT IS HIS DUTY TO PULL THEM!!!! I would call him and say you want permits pulled. If god forbid your home gets damaged from that gas line or any work he did your home owners insurance could give you a lot of toruble, it is called "unpermitted construction" google it, it can cause problems with your taxes {they come in later and charge yu penalties}, resale {you sell the house they sue you for unpermitted construction}... Especially when it comes to gas lines, make sure he buried a tracer wire, and caution alert, be sure he followed all codes... I would call and talk it over with him, that can lead to a lot of trouble..

M

MidnightSensi2

Audioholic Chief
Yeah, I'd pull a permit for a gas line.

Lol, not exactly changing the pool or a hedge hehe.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
YOU NEED PERMITS, THAT IS HIS DUTY TO PULL THEM!!!! I would call him and say you want permits pulled. If god forbid your home gets damaged from that gas line or any work he did your home owners insurance could give you a lot of toruble, it is called "unpermitted construction" google it, it can cause problems with your taxes {they come in later and charge yu penalties}, resale {you sell the house they sue you for unpermitted construction}... Especially when it comes to gas lines, make sure he buried a tracer wire, and caution alert, be sure he followed all codes... I would call and talk it over with him, that can lead to a lot of trouble..
Yea, I already figured that most of it. I had decided I am going to tell him to stop any further work and I wont pay him till get the permits.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Heading to Target and hoping that they still have some of that Dogfish Head 90 Day. Mmmm.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Heading to Target and hoping that they still have some of that Dogfish Head 90 Day. Mmmm.
Yep, they still had some. Luckily, I took a closer look at one of the four-packs that I picked because someone had swapped two of the 90 Minute with two 60 Minute bottles. The two beer guys at Target were really nice and got some more from the back, and they're going to try and get some 120 Minute from the distributor for next Friday.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis