What New Stuff Have You Bought? If You Care To Share Thead! :)

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
So far, not all that well lol. It's 10,000 BTU and supposed to be good for 450 sqft. My bedroom is 238 sq ft and bathroom and closet probably make it close to that total. My room is now 83 degrees with the unit on max. I guess it's better than the rest of the house which is 90 downstairs and 92 upstairs :/

Thanks, I'll probably buy some of those in the future as well as that drain cleaner gun thing. It's probably still clogging because my lines are full of gunk for whatever reason. If I buy that pump I'd definitely need to ask you for help as well. I'm totally clueless when it comes to HVAC stuff (and most other home maintenance). Pretty much the only thing I do is change my filters regularly. I did replace my secondary pan some time ago (the secondary line looked really gross too). Not really sure how to clean out all the rust and stuff.

I have no idea what this part means :/

Yeah. It blows. Texas summers are definitely not fun to deal with. My system is ~12 years old and my lines are all full of crap I guess. If I can't get my lines cleared soon I'll maybe give him a call.

The drain lines are easy to clean out, you can even try blowing them in from outside with a compressor... Its easy to hook up a pump, just drill a hole in your pan a little higher than the primary drain put in a bulk head fitting and a 90 into the pump, then run the small 3/8 clear tubing outside, plug the pump into an outlet and your done...
I wouldn't go with out ac for a clogged drain, blow that gunk out of the line and get your ac back on before that in/out unit burns down your house... you are much better off with a window unit, some of them in/out units use pan heaters to get rid of the condensate and I heard a few stories about them catching on fire...

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
I don't have a compressor either. I tried sucking all the crap out with a shopvac but it didn't really work out. I definitely don't plan on using this portable thing for very long, especially since it's not really helping all that much.

The thing about the pump is that I have no idea how to do any of that stuff except for maybe drilling the hole in the pan. I've never ran any lines anywhere or worked with pvc stuff and my attic is probably the worst place to do anything. No room to work and it's crazy hot. I'm sure I'll end up paying somebody to do this crap.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
I don't have a compressor either. I tried sucking all the crap out with a shopvac but it didn't really work out. I definitely don't plan on using this portable thing for very long, especially since it's not really helping all that much.

The thing about the pump is that I have no idea how to do any of that stuff except for maybe drilling the hole in the pan. I've never ran any lines anywhere or worked with pvc stuff and my attic is probably the worst place to do anything. No room to work and it's crazy hot. I'm sure I'll end up paying somebody to do this crap.
Wish I was closer I would send one of the guys by, but Texas is a heck of a ride... shop vac probably wouldn't work they don't have a ton of suction, I watch the gauge when I blast them sometimes it take 190psi before the clogs pop!!!!

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
Wish I was closer I would send one of the guys by, but Texas is a heck of a ride... shop vac probably wouldn't work they don't have a ton of suction, I watch the gauge when I blast them sometimes it take 190psi before the clogs pop!!!!
Thanks. If you ever feel like sending one on a road trip just let me know :D I did order the gallo gun and some co2 cartridges. Hopefully they arrive soon.

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
Well, I managed to take apart the thingy where the primary line drains into the upstairs bathroom sink. It was super clogged and filthy. Tried to clear it out as best I could but I'm not going to turn the a/c back on until the gallo gun gets here so I can blow it out for sure. I also adjusted the level of my secondary pan because it was unfortunately slightly uneven (in the wrong direction) so a lot of the water wasn't even getting to the drain. Also, I dunno why they don't make attics more user friendly workspaces. I'm a skinny guy but if I was any bigger I wouldn't have been able to fit underneath the unit.

I read that pouring distilled white vinegar or a cup of bleach down the drain lines once a month is a good thing. I guess I'll start doing that.

Here is my unit in the attic:

I hope I didn't angle it too much towards the drain but I guess some drainage is better than no drainage :D

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
Thanks for the reminder. It's been a few months since I poured bleach in mine. I don't like to do it every month as it drains out into the yard and kills my grass, but I should remember to do that at least whenever I change my air filter anyway.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
OK, first for pouring beach in, its much easier to add a tablet twice a year... Amazon.com: OUTLAND ENGINEERING AC-912 A/C PAN CLEANER TABLETS: Health & Personal Care bleach stops working as soon as it is rinsed out, I make my own tablets by breaking them pool tablets into pieces, the arm and hammer breaks easiest, but I use a bunch of them in a bunch of houses, so for $6 the outland tabs are good for a single person, unless you have a pool and already have the tablets, break a piece of throw it in there...

Next- Phillip is that pan under the unit filling with water?

I would have never installed it that way, first off there looks to be no float switch in the pan, this is a little switch I linked you to earlier, when the pan fills the switch shuts the unit off... This is code around here...
next- there is no drain on the pan, I would install a drain in the pan, drill a hole in it put a bulkhead fitting {home depot sells them, its a fitting that lets you tighten it into a pan, they have them for the pans that go under water heaters and washing machines}, plumb that into a second drain line {you can do it smaller if you like instead of 3/5 you can do 1/2"} this will be a safety in case the drain pan fills, and I would put an alarm {like I linked you to earlier} in the pan so you know when its wet.. You will hear it because the duct work will work like a horn and blast it through your house...

Fixing drywall is easy, getting rid of mold is not.. them 90's are probably causing all of your trouble, I would have put the tee vent where that first 90 pointing down is and then used 2 45's to get under the unit, 2 90s back to back like that is not a great idea for flow... with the vent rite at the first 90 is would fast drop into the 2 45's and kept moving fast down to your sink... Which is another issue, is this just draining into a sink or is it plumbed into the plumbing?

Was that unit professionally installed? Judging by the flexi stove gas line 3"s from you B-vent exhaust, the tape riddled insulation on your suction line, lack of service switch and or firomatic safety {unless its on the ceiling I can't see}, and the unprotected and non secured romex powering the unit, I would imagine a home owner before you did this himself....

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
Yes, that pan is the secondary drain pan and it was filling with water. There is a drain in the back corner (it's hard to see on the photos, but it's there). When I replaced the pan earlier this year I thought I had it sloping towards the drain, but apparently I did not do a very good job. It's definitely angled downwards now though. And yes there is no float switch or anything like that. The drain for the pan exits from the back of my house above my window.

Are these tablets good? They come in a bottle of 200: Nu-Calgon 4296-60 Pan-Treat Scum 200 Tablets: A C Pan Tablet: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

The primary drain connects to the bottom pipes of the upstairs bathroom sink.

I would hope it was professionally installed. It definitely wasn't the previous homeowner since the house was in the process of being constructed when my dad bought it so we were the first and only owners so far.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
See the problem with that pipe connecting to the drain under the sink is you are getting sewer gasses in your attic unless there is a trap between that open vent and your sink? but it looks like they put a swing trap rite at the unit...

Just does not look professional to me, is there a switch to turn it on and off, one at the unit one at the entry way to the attic? is there a firomatic safety in the electrical line? I can't imagine any inspector OK'ing that gas supply line like that, its almost touching if not touching you bvent flue, and its un-bonded 1/2" kitchen stove flexi line!!!
Maybe our codes are different here, I am not sure?
So that pan being drained is good, the pan looks good itself, but you need someway to know its filling with water before it ruins your ceilings... Because what happens is the drain pan {which is a safety pan} starts to fill because your primary pan is clogged, so now you have no idea because nothing is wet yet, then the pans drain clogs and ruins your ceilings... Not a good method.. I would order one of them alarms at the very least... Best case would be to install a float switch too, this way the pan fills and shuts the a/c off so no damage can be done..

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
It doesn't look professional to me as well and I know nothing about all this stuff. For all I know it wasn't installed to code either.

I don't know about a trap or where the on/off switch is and I've never heard of a firomatic safety. The next time I go up there I'll try and take some more pictures.

The reason why the water got into the ceiling is because I had the pan angled the wrong way (it's hard to tell just by looking at it, until it's full of water). I hope it's correct now. I just hope it isn't angled too much for the drain to handle. I wouldn't know how to install a float switch but I'll probably get one of those alarms. At the very least I'll go up there once a month to pour vinegar/check on the tablets.

I also have no idea how to access the primary drain pan. The only one I've ever messed with is the secondary.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Speaking of overpriced items (Re: IAmLoud's rant ;))

Yes, this is one expensive grill, but I'm not nearly rich enough to buy cheap crap (which don't last)
Got it from ABT.com - called them up and got $50 off the total purchase (with some original Weber accessories) - despite the fact none of abt coupons do not apply to Weber brand.
Not much of discount, but still a good deal, considering it came with free ship and no tax :)

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
It doesn't look professional to me as well and I know nothing about all this stuff. For all I know it wasn't installed to code either.

I don't know about a trap or where the on/off switch is and I've never heard of a firomatic safety. The next time I go up there I'll try and take some more pictures.

The reason why the water got into the ceiling is because I had the pan angled the wrong way (it's hard to tell just by looking at it, until it's full of water). I hope it's correct now. I just hope it isn't angled too much for the drain to handle. I wouldn't know how to install a float switch but I'll probably get one of those alarms. At the very least I'll go up there once a month to pour vinegar/check on the tablets.

I also have no idea how to access the primary drain pan. The only one I've ever messed with is the secondary.
Float switch install is super simple, the low voltage wire going to your control board gets spliced open, you get the red wire and break it, route it in and out of the switch and back to where it started, stick the switch on the edge of the pan so the float is inside and you are done...

the primary pan is accessed by removing that front cover on the coil where the drains and copper linesets enter, there is also a pan in there that is where most likely your problems are coming from because under normal operation there should be NO water in the pan under the unit...

I don't mean to disturb you about the safety and code issues, but I would be a little concerned... Firomatics are switches that shut power off when they sense too much heat {via a meltable link}, having flexi gas lines can be dangerous but may never cause concern, that close to the flue would concern me, I would have a co detector and fire up there at the minimum...

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
Speaking of overpriced items (Re: IAmLoud's rant ;))

Yes, this is one expensive grill, but I'm not nearly rich enough to buy cheap crap (which don't last)
Got it from ABT.com - called them up and got $50 off the total purchase (with some original Weber accessories) - despite the fact none of abt coupons do not apply to Weber brand.
Not much of discount, but still a good deal, considering it came with free ship and no tax :)
Very nice grill, good choice.. I agree buying twice hurts...

"BoringSissyMan" or "wannaBmodMin" I don't know I am not good at the name play thing....

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
I hate when Musicdirect.com has the 10% off sale, fre shipping of $99 so you know you have to spend at least that much... I have been wanting that eagles set on vinyl, I don't know why, But I have been watching ebay for it and it is never on there for less than $130, so with the 10% off it came to $115 or so, but then I bought a couple others, did good, 3 cd's a few records, and a $900 set of speaker cables, jk, no cables, lol.

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
Matt: Labor day sale! Are your accessories enough to pad your order up to $500? Did you see the coupon codes? Got glue? Clamps? Poly-fil?

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Matt: Labor day sale! Are your accessories enough to pad your order up to $500? Did you see the coupon codes? Got glue? Clamps? Poly-fil?
Well, he can order the B652 bookshelf speakers, and then sell them to you.:)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis