Will my setup benefit by adding an Anthem MCA20 or 30?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Wrk_hrd2Play_hr said:
Peng,

Here's a question...how would one set up an A/B for a 4600+ speakers vs. 4600+MCA20+Speakers. I guess, I could have one set of speaker wires run from the 4600 to one set of binding posts on the speaker directly and then another set of speaker wires from the MCA to the 2nd set of binding posts (without removing the connecting plate between the two sets of binding posts) and then have the Yammy Pre-outs run to the MCA. I'd have to be really careful to not accidently send current to both sets of binding posts at the same time. Any other suggestions??

Thanks
You can use a speaker selector switch. I don't remember how much I paid for my Adcom switch but I know it wasn't cheap.

For reasons that mtry cited, I don't bother using that switch any more. It is simply too complicated to do a level matched A/B and to play exactly the same passage of music. When I was in that high end store, the sales consultant simply unplugged the jacks to the speakers from one amp and then plugged in the jacks from the other. It was not level pre-matched and the same CD player was used to play the same CD. You can picture that it wasn't a perfect A/B test. Nonetheless, I thought the Anthem sounded better, though not significant. Still, I was thoroughly impressed with the 2400's detailed and transparent sound. I am surprised that Doug found the difference between the 2500 & 2500+outlaw so noticeable.

By the way, I don't believe the 4600 can only do 7X38.3 at 1KHz. The HKAVR335 specifies much less power consumption at the back (not "maximum"as stated in the manual's spec section) and it can do more, according to the S&V bench test. S&V also tested the much lower model RX-V657 at 5X67W. I would bet using S&V's methodology, the 4600 should do at least 7X75, just an educated guess.

Anyway, please let us know how you make out with your A/B experience. I sure hope you can hear enough difference to justify keeping the amp.

Last edited:
W

Wrk_hrd2Play_hr

Audioholic Intern
mtrycrafts said:
Its not working for me, thanks. :confused:
Is the link not working for you....or is what the reviewer saying not doing it for you (i.e you aren't agreeing with what he/she is saying)?

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Wrk_hrd2Play_hr said:
Is the link not working for you....or is what the reviewer saying not doing it for you (i.e you aren't agreeing with what he/she is saying)?

The link is not working for me. It tries to open someing but after a very long time, I stopped it. If I had an issue with the reviewer, I owuld have make a comment. I could not resist ;)

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis