Where are all you experts now?

Halon451

Halon451

Audioholic Samurai
I just read through this whole thread. Wish I could get those 20 minutes back. And now I must read the original sub thread in hopes of justifying that time spent.:mad:
Fortunately the original "Myths" thread has a lot of very useful information in it, if you can filter it from amongst the B.S. that led to this thread... ;)

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
if you can filter it from amongst the B.S. that led to this thread... ;)
That's been squared away.

I think I want to take adwilk up on his offer of paying to ship me that stuff but I'm going to need a surround sound rec'r with HDMI switching too ... to test it properly. :)

djreef

djreef

Audioholic Chief
I've been a debater and poster far longer than I've been in audio forums: going back long before the internet came around.
This much is certain. I've also been around awhile, and just from what I've read here so far on this board, I can attest the Jerry you are a master debater. Keep up the good work!

DJ

JerryLove

JerryLove

Audioholic Samurai
This much is certain. I've also been around awhile, and just from what I've read here so far on this board, I can attest the Jerry you are a master debater. Keep up the good work!
As you, sir, are a cunning linguist.

adwilk

adwilk

Audioholic Ninja
I've been a debater and poster far longer than I've been in audio forums: going back long before the internet came around. Your tactics here are unsound. Given that you are indeed selling something, and given the opposition you face: my recommendation would be to imitate Obama during his campaign, and avoid rhetorts.

But do whatever you like.
This is a complete waste of digital ink. Your attempt at self proclaimed debating skills doesn't make you right, Jerry. You wanna debate, go to a debate forum. I, for one, am sick of a "debater" that just picks fights and regurgitates what an expert said in another thread.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Dave,

I notice you are presumably not too far from me (I'm in Woodstock). I'd be delighted if you would entertain my coming over with a pair of speakers to audition against yours.

Without the depth of experience many people here have, I only feel competent comparing stereo or 2.1.

Good or bad, I don't know too much about speaker design, and have no dog in this hunt.

Work is slow right now, and it sounds like a good time if you're game!

Thanks,
Kurt

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
This just become a lovefest, or what? :rolleyes: :D

... all except for angry adwilk. :p

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Do you mind justifying that? I'm sincerely curious.
Yes, Pipes basically come in two types, open both ends and open one end closed the other.

However all pipes have to conform to a fundamental physical principle. Pressure and displacement are always 180 degrees out of phase. So where displacement is maximal pressure is 0 and vice versa. Now at the opening of a pipe, pressure changes are zero and air displacement (movement is maximal). This is how pipes so wonderfully couple to the air and are such good acoustic transformers.

Now in the patent paper, the pipe of these so called embedded TL speakers, it calls these pipes closed loop! And closed they are.

The drawings show a narrow channel, that does not open to the atmosphere, but into the chamber behind the speaker cone. Also the opening as far as I can tell is midway in the channel. So we have two pipes in essence trying to be excited from the open end where there has to be an anti node of pressure (0 pressure change). You can not excite a gedakt pipe like this from the opening, but only towards the closed end where pressure changes are maximal. A pipe could not emit output into a closed space anyway let alone one that is having the pressure modulated by a loudspeaker cone. Pressure has to be zero at a closed pipe opening!

The other issue is that the pipe lengths in any event would not be operative anywhere near the bass loading frequency of a speaker. The pipe length is far too short.

So to cut a long story short, that pipe, or channel or what ever you call it, is just part of the box behind the cone, and part of the volume of the sealed cavity of the coupled cavity sub. It serves no function other than to mislead the public and gullible reviewers.

This has been a crude marketing attempt to cash in on the fine reputation of transmission line loudspeakers, and make people think they are buying a transmission line speaker when it is nothing of the sort. I for one resent that!

That whole patent application is pseudo science and gibberish from start to finish, and that is my last word on this nonsense.

Here is an article on pipe theory I pulled from the net that shows the relationships of pressure and displacement in pipes.

So to recap...

"Wah, I posted something and no one read it..."

So we're all stupid and guilty of not exercizing our rightful duties to look over every single Fortune 1,000,000,000 company's outlandish claims that their technology vastly improves over tried and true methods researched over decades and put into place by people with more than a mortgaged garage and a $15,000 loan from their mom.

We get it... and we humbly apologize for hurting your feelings. Frankly, however, while we're interested in new things, don't confuse our general interest with an obligation to investigate your claims or spend the time and energy to set up a test of your unproven product based on some testimonials from kool-aid drinking fans.

So, in conclusion: It's not a conspiracy. You're just a person who posted something and no one cared.

sawzalot

sawzalot

Audioholic Samurai
So to recap...

So we're all stupid and guilty of not exercizing our rightful duties to look over every single Fortune 1,000,000,000 company's outlandish claims that their technology vastly improves over tried and true methods researched over decades and put into place by people with more than a mortgaged garage and a $15,000 loan from their mom.

We get it... and we humbly apologize for hurting your feelings. Frankly, however, while we're interested in new things, don't confuse our general interest with an obligation to investigate your claims or spend the time and energy to set up a test of your unproven product based on some testimonials from kool-aid drinking fans.

So, in conclusion: It's not a conspiracy. You're just a person who posted something and no one cared.
I could not have said that any better and frankly that is why I didn't :eek:
This was a very revealing thread but not from the OP topic, more about the personality and character, and of course the technical smarts of our members , here it truly shines and for that I am 100% grateful, Thank You AH, :)

BioLinksAudio

BioLinksAudio

Audioholic Intern
So to recap...

That's a cheap shot, especially for an administrator. Why are you so hostile?

I've gotten a few things off my chest and have settled back down to the business at hand - trying to introduce this forum to better sound through a new technology. Adwilk was correct in his comments, the content of my posts are educational, and he has given a fair assessment of a couple of our ETL based products. To characterize him as a kool-aid drinking fan disrespects one of your most well-respected forum members.

You nailed it on one point: I am now only a one-man dog & pony show working out of my home; but you have got to start somewhere. However, the customers for the TBI Sound products include both high end sound system users plus well known companies who have licensed the use of the ETL technology. They include Sharp, Marantz, ASUS and others that already have their products on the market. Then there are several other licensees who have not yet introduced there own products but have them under development with ETL technology. They include manufacturers of laptop computers, inexpensive headphones and cell phone speakers - all of which are notorious for their lousy sound. There has always been a general improvement in sound quality and presentation in all of these products, and that is where the ETL technology has been validated over and over.

Historically, since the 1920's, nobody has been able to understand how to control the resonance problems behind the driver in conventional loudspeakers. How to make the box sound disappear. That is the Achilles' heel of the sound industry and yet it has not been addressed in the past until ETL technology hit the streets about six years ago. Restricted speaker placement, equalization, room treatments, etc. have been used to compensate for loudspeaker problems such as cone breakup, boomy bass and standing waves/reflections in the listening room environment. But the problem has always been and still is, the critical dampening of the speaker enclosure so that the driver responds only in real time to the signal; i.e., without overhang or resonance after the signal is removed. This applies to smaller, mass market lifestyle speakers as well as those larger floor standing speakers that cost mega bucks.

The following are not testimonials from kool-aid drinking fans but professional reviewers of hi-end audio gear. Paul Folbrecht, said about the TBI subwoofer at http://www.audioasylum.com/reviews/Speakers/T.B.I./Magellan-VIP-Active-Bass-Module/speakers/28/282462.html Here's an excerpt: "It's hard to stress how perfect and unusual is (the) disappearing act. Even the $4000 REL subwoofer I once owned could not do this. It could not blend perfectly with very fast drivers and draw no attention to itself. It did certainly go lower, something like 3 dB down @16 Hz, and I'm sure it had the potential for higher output, but I don't need that." And that was a review of the TBI powered subwoofer with only a 6" driver.

There's another great review on the micro monitors at http://www.audioreview.com/TBIcrx.aspx There, another pro reviewer, Eric LoBue said, "What I would like to see, however, is to see this technology get picked up by those very large manufacturers of 'home theater in a box' and portable boombox type systems. This technology sounds great, and anyone with a discerning ear knows that those types of mass consumer systems could really use some improvement." Well, since then, that is exactly what is happening. Walmart-type HTIB speakers are indeed target market now so everybody can enjoy good sound not just the so-called high end guys. You identified that one correctly too, while trying to make it sound negative.

Finally, John Potis evaluated products that an OEM customer of TBI's sells. These speakers, with the same tweeters Adwilk evaluated, sell for $5,500/pair with stands. At http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue40/claravu_88.htm you can read the entire, very comprehensive review that concludes with, "Sometimes I hear speakers such as the ClaraVu 88s from Gingko Audio and wonder how such an upstart speaker designer can so clearly hit one out of the park while other companies seem to flounder in mediocrity. In terms of the market, it's gotta be a bear to break into; what with so many speakers already out there. Why take a chance on an upstart? Why even bring one to market? In a lot of ways, it makes little sense to me. But then again, I'm not the manufacturer. I'm just the reviewer and if it's my job to report to you what a review piece sounds like, here it is: the ClaraVu 88s are darned nice speakers. The more I listen to them, the more I like them."

He was spot on with that comment. It is a challenge, especially in today's economy, for any start-up company like mine to succeed. But TBI products (even their cheap tweeters) are really good and deserve some recognition, so I'm not giving up that easily.

Admittedly, I made a huge mistake with my opening approach on your forum with the DAD device, but all of that is water under the bridge now. My subsequent posts on the subwoofer have been factual and accurate; and, despite what TLS Guy has said to try and discredit our technology and products, I was never trying to paint all the Audioholics experts with the same brush with which I painted TLS Guy.

None of you are "stupid" but some are just ignorant of what ETL is and how it works. But it's our challenge to help clear that up for you all, except Adwilk, who admits he doesn't understand it totally but is willing to learn... until I am banned as a heritec simply because T/S is old technology and simply does not figure into the ETL equation like it does with other loudspeaker designs.

Dave

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
....The following are not testimonials from kool-aid drinking fans but professional reviewers of hi-end audio gear. Paul Folbrecht, said about the TBI subwoofer at http://www.audioasylum.com/reviews/Speakers/T.B.I./Magellan-VIP-Active-Bass-Module/speakers/28/282462.html .....
There's another great review on the micro monitors at http://www.audioreview.com/TBIcrx.aspx There, another pro reviewer, Eric LoBue said, .....
Dave
WOW. I don't know those people you referenced, have no interest in them, especially ones coming from AA:eek: a place of voodoo, mythology, bs and urban legends.
What are the backgrounds of those two, anyhow? What qualifies them? Good writing skills? A good imagination?
They just don't turn me on to new technology, or credibility of a product as a credible peer paper would about your invention.

Having a patent is not an endorsement of its merits, just that they issued a patent for a product, nothing more.

JerryLove

JerryLove

Audioholic Samurai
Then there are several other licensees who have not yet introduced there own products but have them under development with ETL technology. They include manufacturers of laptop computers, inexpensive headphones and cell phone speakers - all of which are notorious for their lousy sound. There has always been a general improvement in sound quality and presentation in all of these products, and that is where the ETL technology has been validated over and over.
So it's a new technology that "the industry" has ignored because it's resistant to change, that has been validated through its long use in the idustry that has accepted it and is putting it in their laptops, headphones, ipod docks, cellphones, etc. ?

Perhpas you can understand how I find this a rather confusing claim?

Historically, since the 1920's, nobody has been able to understand how to control the resonance problems behind the driver in conventional loudspeakers.
Make the box anechoic, remove the box entirely (infinite baffle, ribbon and electrostatic speakers), use air pistons (bass horns), some even use plasma.

A good number of people have made speakers without box-resonance issues. Have you stuck an accelleromiter on the outside of your sub? Can you post the results?

How to make the box sound disappear. That is the Achilles' heel of the sound industry and yet it has not been addressed in the past until ETL technology hit the streets about six years ago. Restricted speaker placement, equalization, room treatments, etc. have been used to compensate for loudspeaker problems such as cone breakup, boomy bass and standing waves/reflections in the listening room environment. But the problem has always been and still is, the critical dampening of the speaker enclosure so that the driver responds only in real time to the signal;
And here you mix arguments. Room treatments are designed to affect room acoustics: not speaker acoustics.

If I'm in a room of hard surfaces, that will have an effect on sound different than a room of soft surfaces. If I put a live insturment in the room, it will still have that effect. You could make a speaker compensate for one room: but that would result in a worse probelm in another room.

The following are not testimonials from kool-aid drinking fans but professional reviewers of hi-end audio gear. Paul Folbrecht, said about the TBI subwoofer at http://www.audioasylum.com/reviews/Speakers/T.B.I./Magellan-VIP-Active-Bass-Module/speakers/28/282462.html [/quote] He does seem to love everything he listens to: from Gallo speakers to no-crossover uni-driver speakers.

But Paul is not a professional reviewer that I can find. He's a guy with a fondness for expensive / exotic audio. Perhaps he has a great ear, perhaps a lousy one: I have no idea. I do know that the reviews I've read from him were very non-comprehensive and lacked any objective measurements.

(I'll resist hitting every cite as you find posts of positive reviews, so I just grabbed the first)

None of you are "stupid" but some are just ignorant of what ETL is and how it works. But it's our challenge to help clear that up for you all, except Adwilk, who admits he doesn't understand it totally but is willing to learn... until I am banned as a heritec simply because T/S is old technology and simply does not figure into the ETL equation like it does with other loudspeaker designs.
How do you feel that your post improved our knowledge of what ETL is and how it works?

I'm planning to get out to somewhere that sell the Sharp gear claimed to be using this: is there a particular peice of hardware you think I should most target that will give your approach the best hearing?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis