Where are all you experts now?

zhimbo

zhimbo

Audioholic General
That's a cheap shot, especially for an administrator. Why are you so hostile?

I've gotten a few things off my chest and have settled back down to the business at hand - trying to introduce this forum to better sound through a new technology. Adwilk was correct in his comments, the content of my posts are educational,
Two things:
1. This should be "is" educational. "Content" is singular.

2. You should never consider a career in diplomacy.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Historically, since the 1920's, nobody has been able to understand how to control the resonance problems behind the driver in conventional loudspeakers. How to make the box sound disappear. That is the Achilles' heel of the sound industry and yet it has not been addressed in the past until ETL technology hit the streets about six years ago. Restricted speaker placement, equalization, room treatments, etc. have been used to compensate for loudspeaker problems such as cone breakup, boomy bass and standing waves/reflections in the listening room environment. But the problem has always been and still is, the critical dampening of the speaker enclosure so that the driver responds only in real time to the signal; i.e., without overhang or resonance after the signal is removed. This applies to smaller, mass market lifestyle speakers as well as those larger floor standing speakers that cost mega bucks.
Never seen/heard speakers with Motional Feedback?

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
BioLinksAudio,
I don't know if you missed my post (copied below) or not, but wanted to make sure you knew it was addressed to you.
I have an easily portable MartinLogan Dynamo sub (which I believe is a very good music sub for the $350 I paid for it) and various speakers which I feel represent good value for their price point. Most of my speakers are reasonably popular so would provide a comparison point which forum members could relate to.
If you give me an idea of the price and configuration of whatever speakers you have, I can bring my closest match and go through the same listening process I used to choose my own speakers.
I don't expect this to provide any conclusive determination on your product (I do not have the professional credentials for that), but I believe, and would hope I have a reputation with this forum for honestly recounting auditions as I experienced them.

Respectfully,
Kurt Whitley

Dave,

I notice you are presumably not too far from me (I'm in Woodstock). I'd be delighted if you would entertain my coming over with a pair of speakers to audition against yours.

Without the depth of experience many people here have, I only feel competent comparing stereo or 2.1.

Good or bad, I don't know too much about speaker design, and have no dog in this hunt.

Work is slow right now, and it sounds like a good time if you're game!

Thanks,
Kurt

BioLinksAudio

BioLinksAudio

Audioholic Intern
Personal audition

To be fair: Sharp is a household name. I've heard a lot of their stuff. What they are not is particularly high-quality.

But I don't know that sharp has looked at this, nor why, nor what they've spent, nor what they've concluded. As such, I cannot infer anything from a post saying "sharp has shown interest" or the like.
Sharp manufacturers these products that employ licensed HDSS® technology:
  • DK-AP7N iElelgance series iPod docking stations
  • HT-SB200, HT-SB300, HT-SB300, HT-SB500 sound bars

It looks like I'll be driving near Alpharetta, GA on the 29th and again the 31st. I've got friends there from my time with the Alpharetta police mounted unit. Perhaps I can squeeze out some time to take a listen (though I'm doubtful as I have 26-hours of driving to accomplish in two days).
Jerry,

TBI has a demonstration facility in Marietta where all TBI manufactured and some of their licensed products are on display. Demonstrations are by appointment only so if you will give us at least a 24-hour notice then we will gladly meet with you. You are welcome to bring any gear that you like for comparison or insertion.

Dave Blackshear

BioLinksAudio

BioLinksAudio

Audioholic Intern
BioLinksAudio,
I don't know if you missed my post (copied below) or not, but wanted to make sure you knew it was addressed to you.
I have an easily portable MartinLogan Dynamo sub (which I believe is a very good music sub for the $350 I paid for it) and various speakers which I feel represent good value for their price point. Most of my speakers are reasonably popular so would provide a comparison point which forum members could relate to.
If you give me an idea of the price and configuration of whatever speakers you have, I can bring my closest match and go through the same listening process I used to choose my own speakers.
I don't expect this to provide any conclusive determination on your product (I do not have the professional credentials for that), but I believe, and would hope I have a reputation with this forum for honestly recounting auditions as I experienced them.

Respectfully,
Kurt Whitley
Kurt,

You are welcome to come by our demonstration room in Marietta, just give us 24 hours notice and we'll be glad to set an appointment. You can bring whatever products you like for comparison or insertion. We have all of the goods TBI manufacturers plus some of the HDSS® licensed products on display. For the DIY speaker constructor, I will have a pair of Dayton speakers modified with the DAD drivers that will really impress.

Dave Blackshear

E

edmcanuck

Audioholic
That's a cheap shot, especially for an administrator. Why are you so hostile?
There was no hostility in that post at all. It was a simple statement that you've added absolutely nothing to the larger audio picture of the universe. You've made a bunch of self-serving claims backed up by absolutely nothing in an effort to make money; therefore, nobody cares. Numerous requests have been made for you to provide proof that you insist exists somewhere. Best you've been able to come up with is...

BioLinksAudio said:
Adwilk was correct in his comments, the content of my posts are educational, and he has given a fair assessment of a couple of our ETL based products.
Really? You're backing yourself up with that??

Hence, you continue to talk and people continue to not care. Perhaps you want to start answering the questions if you want that to change.

Last edited by a moderator:
JerryLove

JerryLove

Audioholic Samurai
Sharp manufacturers these products that employ licensed HDSS® technology:
  • DK-AP7N iElelgance series iPod docking stations
  • HT-SB200, HT-SB300, HT-SB300, HT-SB500 sound bars
OK. I don't much use either type of equipment, which will likely not work in the sound-bar / iPod dock's favor. The weekend is near and if I can tear myself from StarTrek online, I'll find one.

TBI has a demonstration facility in Marietta where all TBI manufactured and some of their licensed products are on display. Demonstrations are by appointment only so if you will give us at least a 24-hour notice then we will gladly meet with you. You are welcome to bring any gear that you like for comparison or insertion.
If I do so, it will be on the way back from Virgina. That means I'll have WmAx's speakers (why I'm going to VA). That would make an... interesting comparison. I can think of more than one person who would enjoy that A/B comparison.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Kurt,

You are welcome to come by our demonstration room in Marietta, just give us 24 hours notice and we'll be glad to set an appointment. You can bring whatever products you like for comparison or insertion. We have all of the goods TBI manufacturers plus some of the HDSS® licensed products on display. For the DIY speaker constructor, I will have a pair of Dayton speakers modified with the DAD drivers that will really impress.

Dave Blackshear
Great!

I'll PM you to coordinate timing.

BioLinksAudio

BioLinksAudio

Audioholic Intern
WmAx' speakers?

OK. I don't much use either type of equipment, which will likely not work in the sound-bar / iPod dock's favor. The weekend is near and if I can tear myself from StarTrek online, I'll find one.

If I do so, it will be on the way back from Virgina. That means I'll have WmAx's speakers (why I'm going to VA). That would make an... interesting comparison. I can think of more than one person who would enjoy that A/B comparison.
Jerry,

That sounds fine to me... looking forward to it. Be sure to bring along a favorite CD/DVD. BTW, what kinda speakers does WmMax make?

The Sharp iElegance mini iPod docking station is something you need to hear to appreciate how much quality sound can be reproduced with clarity from such little bitty speakers and an embedded subwoofer. Near field listening is what this product was designed for; not room-filling sound. Yes, it is EQ'd for enhanced bass but that's without funking up the sound like other speakers react to electronic enhancement.

Dave

JerryLove

JerryLove

Audioholic Samurai
Driving schedule is too tight. I'm not going to make it through that part of GA this trip.

Sadly I did not make it to the mall either over the weekend (the beta of Star-Trek Online opened). I will however still do that and share my experience.

Kew, when are you going?

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
BioLinksAudio said:
what kinda speakers does WmMax make?
WmAx makes speakers that sacrifice the least performance for the amount you put into them. If you spend $1000 on a WmAx speaker it will outperform any mass market speaker for $1000. His creations are the stuff of legend here.

yettitheman

yettitheman

Audioholic General
I was going to say something else, but it wasn't quite appropriate.

Sometimes, I embellish the sounds of poorly performing audio products to appreciate the good ones. Gives my ears good training.

A good benchmarking system, can be constructed easily and cheaply. The key word, being cheaply. I mean, less than $10.

The graphs on this.... it's not even worth graphing. Those electrostatics don't have good resolution at all! In fact, all one needs to do is plug the receiver, and turn the volume to max. You will be able to listen to radio with no speakers connected. How?

Proprietary Technics technology. Apparently, you CAN make transistor output stages sing!

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I was going to say something else, but it wasn't quite appropriate.

Sometimes, I embellish the sounds of poorly performing audio products to appreciate the good ones. Gives my ears good training.

A good benchmarking system, can be constructed easily and cheaply. The key word, being cheaply. I mean, less than $10.

The graphs on this.... it's not even worth graphing. Those electrostatics don't have good resolution at all! In fact, all one needs to do is plug the receiver, and turn the volume to max. You will be able to listen to radio with no speakers connected. How?

Proprietary Technics technology. Apparently, you CAN make transistor output stages sing!
I think that is the gist of the thread!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis