Once again: what are you listening to now? Part 2.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
This one isn't as screamy. It's from one of their later albums. I like that you can feel some bass with their music too.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Not bad. They are right on the borderline of being too screamy for me, though. LOL

Have you ever listened to Killing Joke or Professional Murder Music?
I seem to like Killing Joke better. PMM has a stronger industrial feel to it and KJ seems a little thicker and heavier. Listening to "Pandemonium" right now.

I like some industrial music. NIN is my favorite band for the genre, though I listened to a fair amount of Static X back in the day. I think my tastes are rooted more on the metal side tho.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
I seem to like Killing Joke better. PMM has a stronger industrial feel to it and KJ seems a little thicker and heavier. Listening to "Pandemonium" right now.

I like some industrial music. NIN is my favorite band for the genre, though I listened to a fair amount of Static X back in the day. I think my tastes are rooted more on the metal side tho.
Ah, ok, yeah PMM is more along the lines of industrial rock/metal, though I'd consider Killing Joke to be in the same genre.

What about Dream Theater? Pull Me Under was the one that was probably their biggest hit. They're very musical, I use them a lot for system demos. They're a bit more towards the prog rock side of things though.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Ah, ok, yeah PMM is more along the lines of industrial rock/metal, though I'd consider Killing Joke to be in the same genre.

What about Dream Theater? Pull Me Under was the one that was probably their biggest hit. They're very musical, I use them a lot for system demos. They're a bit more towards the prog rock side of things though.
Prog rock/metal is what I really like. Odd time signatures and polyrythms, melodic, a very heavy sound, good groove, good bass, creative and sometimes unconventional. It's hard to find music that checks off all those boxes. Tool does it very well tho. Chevelle is what I'm listening to a lot of right now. They're really heavy and can be melodic too. Sneaking a few bass drops into some of their songs is pretty cool too.

For some reason, though I have so much respect for each very talented band member, I have a hard time getting into their music. I think Dream Theater is one of the most talented bands out there, but they're just not my flavor. I think mostly it's their vocalist that puts me off.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
For some reason, though I have so much respect for each very talented band member, I have a hard time getting into their music. I think Dream Theater is one of the most talented bands out there, but they're just not my flavor. I think mostly it's their vocalist that puts me off.
Fair enough. Have you ever listened to Mastodon? I have yet to listen to much of their stuff, but they're supposed to be some awesome prog metal. I think I'm running out of ideas for you right now. But if I think of anything else I'll definitely post it here. Who knows what I will run across while ripping my cd's. lol

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
They're good. They kind of sound like a mix between Primus and Alice in Chains to me...

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
They're good. They kind of sound like a mix between Primus and Alice in Chains to me...
I can see that. They have shades of both. More groove to their music though. These guys were a local band that started out here in the valley (Phoenix Metro). I got a hold of one of their cd's and liked them right off the bat.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I've heard some Porcupine Tree! Not a lot though. I like this song you linked (listening right now). I might seek out some more of their stuff.
The album those come from, In Absentia, is very good. Worth owning IMO. All of their albums have something to offer IMO, but Deadwing and In Absentia are probably the standouts.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The album those come from, In Absentia, is very good. Worth owning IMO. All of their albums have something to offer IMO, but Deadwing and In Absentia are probably the standouts.
Like those two a lot. I also especially like his work in multi-ch on blu-ray/dvd, with Porcupine Tree I have Anesthetize; for Steven Wilson I have Get All You Deserve, The Raven That Refused To Sing, Hand.Cannot.Erase., 4 1/2, Insurgentes.

I also have his remixes of Emerson Lake & Palmer and Jethro Tull.

@Pogre try this interview on AH http://www.audioholics.com/music-reviews/steve-wilson-hand-cannot-erase

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis