Matt34

Matt34

Yeah it's coming with pedals, going to give it a couple months and see how much I actually ride before I make a decision about going clip-less. I tried out the next tier up ($1k range) in both Treks and Giants and in my novice experience couldn't really justify the extra expense right now. Going in tomorrow to get a helmet, gloves, hitch mount, tools and hydration system.

Matt34

Matt34

That's the plan! Which hitch mount are you using? I have a Thule roof rack that I could mount a bike to but my truck is too damn tall and I'll probably scratch the hell out of it trying to get it on and off the truck.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Here is the style of hitch-mount rack that I use on my 2002 Mustang

http://www.amazon.com/Swagman-Cross-Country-2-Bike-2-Inch-Receiver/dp/B0001VO1YY/ref=sr_1_4?s=sports-and-fitness&ie=UTF8&qid=1436287233&sr=1-4&keywords=bicycle+hitch+mount

I think mine is a different brand, but it looks the same, and I paid only about half of what they want for this one (I got mine off ebay many years ago as a new item). Personally, I very much prefer the "platform style" over the "hanging bike style" for the hitch mount. Also, for a car, hitch mount is the only way to go IMO.

For a truck or large SUV, some people prefer the bed-mounts.
http://www.amazon.com/Hollywood-Racks-T970-Block-Bicycle/dp/B000QJC5F8/ref=sr_1_1?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1436287432&sr=1-1&keywords=bicycle+truck+bed+mount

I have never used these, so I can't really comment, other than to say that you have to remove the front wheel on these and then lock the forks down to the mount. With disc-brakes, it isn't as much trouble as it sounds.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
That first one might work. I can't use the second one, my bike can't stand up in the bed of my truck with the topper. Was looking at this Allen Sport rack as well. Something that swings out or down so I can lower my tailgate. I just don't know if this will rub the paint off the frame after awhile?
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H643FXM/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=YRUEYFAGLRLP&coliid=IOO23MVW2OEF2
My "platform" rack can also have the "tower" part swing down out of the way (when no bikes are on it), but I never need to bother with it, I can still access my trunk. The platforms can also fold up to the center. I can't say if all the platform styles can do that or not.

That one that you linked is the "bike hanger" style that I mentioned--I prefer the platform style. But, if you are saying that you want to swing it down out of the way while there are still bikes on it, then the hanger might have that advantage (but check up on it, I have very little experience on the hangers because I use the platform).

The 2nd one might still work with that camper shell, the bike won't be as tall with the front wheel removed.....but, it's probably a big hassle to crawl in there and deal with it.

I don't understand your concern about "rubbing the paint off the frame"??? On mine, my bike never touches the frame or the body of the car, and the rack never touches either of those either. I had to install a trailer hitch (hidden hitch) to the frame on my Mustang. I line up the rack, give it a kick to insert it, then 1 bolt holds it in place to the hitch. To me, the simplicity of 1 bolt and the fact that the rack never contacts my paint makes the hitch-mount the only way to go (forget about the trunk mount with straps and hooks crap).

By the way--Nice Truck!

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
That's the plan! Which hitch mount are you using? I have a Thule roof rack that I could mount a bike to but my truck is too damn tall and I'll probably scratch the hell out of it trying to get it on and off the truck.
100% the 1UP USA. I have owned 3 of them now and they are the best racks I have ever owned and I have owned a bunch of racks. I started out with a silver one on my Nissan, then a bronze one on my white Audi(you can't purchase a bronze one) and now a black one on my grey Audi.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
100% the 1UP USA. I have owned 3 of them now and they are the best racks I have ever owned and I have owned a bunch of racks. I started out with a silver one on my Nissan, then a bronze one on my white Audi(you can't purchase a bronze one) and now a black one on my grey Audi.

A road bike :eek:

C'mon:D

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
There are clearly 2 road bikes on that rack if you look closely.

You are not fast on a MTB unless you road bike....
Eh, road biking is just a different animal. It's not for me, trails and nature is where I want to be.

H

Hocky

Full Audioholic
I use 1upUSA as well. It is pretty nice with my only gripe being that it should have a built in locking mechanism for the price. Having to run an 8ft cable lock around my stuff in order to lock it all up is annoying. And if you shop used, make sure that you buy one that has the serrated rod where the release lever attaches - the older ones are smooth and they will loosen on long drives. But they're super durable, quick, easy, and most importantly they keep my carbon wheels out of the direct flow of my exhaust. ;-)

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
I use 1upUSA as well. It is pretty nice with my only gripe being that it should have a built in locking mechanism for the price. Having to run an 8ft cable lock around my stuff in order to lock it all up is annoying. . ;-)
Sure that would be handy, as a battery-powered Sawzall or hand grinder takes a full 3 seconds, to cut through the best lock on the market:eek: Don't even bother locking a bike on a rack, stay where you can see it 100% of the time.

Just 2 months ago my buddy ran into the store to grab some IPAs and was in there less than 4 minutes. Gone was his $9,000 S-works Tarmac when he walked back out. He had both a Masterlock Street Cuffs and a Kryptonite Fahgettaboudit lock securing it at the time.

His IPAs were very cold and refreshing though....

H

Hocky

Full Audioholic
I stop in a lot of small towns and what not for food after biking. I am not going to bother trying to stay within view. Locking the bike is more about preventing crime of opportunity than anything else. If someone wants it, they'll get it. At the end of the day, I am not worried about losing a 10k bike - that is what insurance is for. But odds are much lower with it locked and I'd rather not deal with the hassle. Every other rack on the market in this price point has a good locking mechanism.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
I stop in a lot of small towns and what not for food after biking. I am not going to bother trying to stay within view. Locking the bike is more about preventing crime of opportunity than anything else. If someone wants it, they'll get it. At the end of the day, I am not worried about losing a 10k bike - that is what insurance is for. But odds are much lower with it locked and I'd rather not deal with the hassle. Every other rack on the market in this price point has a good locking mechanism.
Tell me where you live and when you are stopping at the next store.....

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Eh, road biking is just a different animal. It's not for me, trails and nature is where I want to be.
It takes getting used to, but I got addicted to it pretty quickly. And I don't know where you live, but there is LOTS of beautiful road rides around Vancouver. Lots along the water and good cycle cross trails in lots of places too.

SheepStar

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
It takes getting used to, but I got addicted to it pretty quickly. And I don't know where you live, but there is LOTS of beautiful road rides around Vancouver. Lots along the water and good cycle cross trails in lots of places too.

SheepStar
Yeah, if I lived in Vancouver, I might do some biking. That Sea to Sky Highway is amazing!

But, then with Whistler just 2 hours north, you are in the haven of mountain biking!!!

In fact, the wallpaper on my computer is a pic off the top of Blackcomb, looking down into the valley.

I need to go back to Whistler :(

I'm in Texas, I don't trust the fools driving cars on the streets around here. That's a big part of the reason that I prefer the trails, not having to constantly be watching for idiots in cars.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
I'm in Texas, I don't trust the fools driving cars on the streets around here. That's a big part of the reason that I prefer the trails, not having to constantly be watching for idiots in cars.
We are in DFW and cars are scary here but we have a great route that we ride.

It is is 99% back country roads and on our normal 32 miles route we may see 6 cars. For Texas it does have a decent amount of climbing. We hit right at 1700 ft of climbing on the 32 mile route and a little over 2,000 ft on the 40 mile route.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis