H

Hocky

Full Audioholic
How are those Crossmax wheels holding up for you? I loved mine for the first 1000 miles or so, then despite keeping up on lubing the hub and whatnot, the plastic hub bushing started to wear. I replaced it and it wore out again within 200 more miles. I replaced it, took the wheels off and threw them in the attic and went to xtr wheels. I wasn't really happy about that... a $1k wheel set should last more than part of a season. The new xtr wheels have been fantastic so far.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
Give me the same bike as you and it won't be a fair contest. I ride 125kms a week commuting to work. You can only buy so much performance, eventually the rest has to come from you.

SheepStar
Not sure that will help as I average 115 miles per week right now if you count road and MTB.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
How are those Crossmax wheels holding up for you? I loved mine for the first 1000 miles or so, then despite keeping up on lubing the hub and whatnot, the plastic hub bushing started to wear. I replaced it and it wore out again within 200 more miles. I replaced it, took the wheels off and threw them in the attic and went to xtr wheels. I wasn't really happy about that... a $1k wheel set should last more than part of a season. The new xtr wheels have been fantastic so far.
Dude, I hate them. Mine is XX1 so the freehub has even less clamping space and I have to take it off and grease it every 4 rides. The bearing pre-load is now coming loose about every ride so that drives me crazy too. This is my first non Chris King/ Stan's wheelset and it was a mistake.

They look cool though.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Not sure that will help as I average 115 miles per week right now if you count road and MTB.
I also go to the gym on top. If you're ever in the area I'd gladly have a sprint. I hope you know how to ride in -2*C, Freezing Rain, and all those other nice Canadian weather quirks.

SheepStar

H

Hocky

Full Audioholic
Dude, I hate them. Mine is XX1 so the freehub has even less clamping space and I have to take it off and grease it every 4 rides. The bearing pre-load is now coming loose about every ride so that drives me crazy too. This is my first non Chris King/ Stan's wheelset and it was a mistake.

They look cool though.
Figures. Last Mavic wheel I will buy, that's for sure.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
I also go to the gym on top. If you're ever in the area I'd gladly have a sprint. I hope you know how to ride in -2*C, Freezing Rain, and all those other nice Canadian weather quirks.

SheepStar
Why in the world would I ride in freezing rain and cold temp?

G

gholt

Full Audioholic
Looks like we have a race on. I would join, but Texas is a ways away from Utah in the snow. I'd probably lose as I dislocated my shoulder on my bike in August and it's winter, so time to put the bike away and play int the snow. I all can see out my office window is a wonderful snowstorm, and I have to be here at work instead of the resort snowboarding.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
....my wife is going to kill me on this one....:eek:

Pictures to come later......

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
LOL....I forgot about this post. I purchased it a couple of weeks ago and didn't tell her it was coming until the guy that bought my old bike, was at our door, to pick it up. She didn't say a single word about it.

Two days later this was delivered, I started in on "WTF is this" and she said "go in the garage and look at you new toy".

I shut up....

Last edited:
slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
So I finally got a bike, mine you, it probably cost less than the front shock on your Yeti.....

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/bikes/model/revel.29er/18815/76229/

Should have it by Friday, being built/QC'd now.
Yup, I've always been pleased with Giant.

That looks like a heck of a bike for ~$500!

Similar geometry to my Specialized Carve, but my Carve has better components and a better paint job too :p

Personally, I am a big fan of Hardtails with 29" wheels, so I say good job on that!

I've noticed that Giant seems to not sell new bikes with peddles anymore. I guess your shop is getting you set up with that? Personally, I use SPD clipless peddles.

On a side note, a friend gave me a late 90s K2 BMX-style bike the other day. It needs a little work, but the price was right! So, I'll soon enough have a beater BMX bike in my stable too.

H

Hocky

Full Audioholic
I have traditionally hated every Giant that I have ridden, but today my primary bike is a Giant, go figure. I got on a 27.5 carbon Anthem last fall and loved it, so I built one. All XTR, Enve wheels on Kings, Sid XX and Monarch XX. It is a fast bike and feels nice to ride. It has definitely changed my opinion of Giant.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
I have traditionally hated every Giant that I have ridden, but today my primary bike is a Giant, go figure. I got on a 27.5 carbon Anthem last fall and loved it, so I built one. All XTR, Enve wheels on Kings, Sid XX and Monarch XX. It is a fast bike and feels nice to ride. It has definitely changed my opinion of Giant.
My riding buddy rides an Anthem and loves it. He has broken the top tube twice but both times Giant sent him a new frame free and quickly. He is very aggressive rider and weighs 240. I never have understood how some guys and be heavy and still ride like mad. It makes me hate them.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
My riding buddy rides an Anthem and loves it. He has broken the top tube twice but both times Giant sent him a new frame free and quickly. He is very aggressive rider and weighs 240. I never have understood how some guys and be heavy and still ride like mad. It makes me hate them.
LOL!

Yeah, when you're a "big boy", you also don't have to worry too much about shaving a few pounds off your bike!

What I say is "I'll worry about shaving a few pounds off on ME, then I'll worry about shaving a few pounds off my bike" :D

H

Hocky

Full Audioholic
Yea, I noticed some people complaining about that on the internet before I bought mine, but it turned out that it is an aluminum bike problem that is mostly isolated to 2013 or older. I would never even consider buying a bike that has a history of cracked top tubes, that is for sure.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis