darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
Just to show you how out of the loop I am on bikes, (my last bike was a Specialized Rock Hopper I bought when I was a poor college student and $300 was a lot of money), when did bike brakes go to rotors and calipers like on a car??? I remember bike brakes just being those pads that squeezed the rims.

H

Hocky

Full Audioholic
I couldn't be happier with the purchase of this bike. It really did have me smiling from ear to ear the whole ride. It turns out that she likes to be beat on and when I downloaded my Garmin, I had just set a new personal record, on a 12 mile loop, by a little over 4 minutes.
4 minutes over 12 miles? Do you normally average like 4mph? That is a ridiculous difference that cannot be attributed to a bike change. That is more like a difference of normally riding the trail with a 10 year old and then finally jumping out by yourself and going for it. haha

Either way, nice bike. I am hoping the damn rains stop here so I can get back at it.

Last edited by a moderator:
ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
4 minutes over 12 miles? Do you normally average like 4mph? That is a ridiculous difference that cannot be attributed to a bike change. That is more like a difference of normally riding the trail with a 10 year old and then finally jumping out by yourself and going for it. haha

Either way, nice bike. I am hoping the damn rains stop here so I can get back at it.
There are some trails that we average 4 mph... I am no math expert but I have duplicated this increase twice now so a lot of it is the bike. I have also posted similar increases on different trails. On this particular trail, my average speed is 9.6 mph so maybe you can do the math.

Just for reference, I can average 18-19 mph on my normal 32 mile route on the road bike so I am by no means, slow.

Here is the data:

5/1/13

Time:1:13:59
Moving Time:1:13:49

<tbody>
</tbody>
Avg Speed:9.0 mph
Avg Moving Speed:9.0 mph
Max Speed:
Elevation Gain:646 ft
Calories:987 C
Avg Temperature:78.7 °F

Avg HR:157 bpm
Max HR:174 bpm

<tbody>
</tbody>

<tbody>
</tbody>
19.2 mph

<tbody>
</tbody>
4/25/13: Personal Record on Yeti

Time:1:17:42
Moving Time:1:17:35

<tbody>
</tbody>
Avg Speed:8.5 mph
Avg Moving Speed:8.5 mph
Max Speed:19.9 mph
Elevation Gain:673 ft
Calories:961 C
Avg Temperature:
Avg HR:149 bpm
Max HR:167 bpm

<tbody>
</tbody>
72.8 °F

<tbody>
</tbody>

<tbody>
</tbody>

Last edited:
adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
Well I am now the proud owner of this:

No chance to ride it yet. Hopefully tomorrow.

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
It's not much, but I got my first mountain bike last week:

Took it out Saturday at Pine Hills Park in Rutland VT. First time ever on a mountain bike or on a bike trail. Covered about 4.4 miles of singletrack with a total ascent of 865 feet in just under 2 hours. Had an absolute blast. Huge grin on my face the whole time. I had no idea this would be so much fun.

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord

Took it out Saturday at Pine Hills Park in Rutland VT. First time ever on a mountain bike or on a bike trail. Covered about 4.4 miles of singletrack with a total ascent of 865 feet in just under 2 hours. Had an absolute blast. Huge grin on my face the whole time. I had no idea this would be so much fun.
Nice bike Jon. Mtn Biking is very fun. I just had to take a few years off to let my body heal from too many years of abuse. Now with all the suspension on these things I'm hoping my back issues won't come back.

Vt. has a ton of great mountain biking. I didn't know you were that close. I figured with your Saints avatar you were farther south.

Whitey80

Whitey80

Senior Audioholic
This is a bike, and it goes in the mountains.....Mountain Bike?

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
Nice bike Jon. Mtn Biking is very fun. I just had to take a few years off to let my body heal from too many years of abuse. Now with all the suspension on these things I'm hoping my back issues won't come back.

Vt. has a ton of great mountain biking. I didn't know you were that close. I figured with your Saints avatar you were farther south.
I'm from New Orleans and live near Albany NY. My SO is doing time as a special ed teacher in Rutland at the moment. Sucks living apart, but it's almost like having a vacation cabin. So close to great skiing and now great mountain biking.

I've had a lot of back issues and injuries over the years. Still have a lot of nagging soreness and twinges. I've been doing heavy barbell lifting all year since recovering from my latest injury. It's making a huge difference, and I was amazed at how little my back bothered me yesterday.

I have squats tonight, though. Not sure how my quads will deal with that after the trails yesterday.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I have officially booked a vacation in Whistler, BC Canda. It's OK to be jealous :D From what I can tell, that area has some amazing mountain biking trails available.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
What are you going to do with those short little tires?;)

SC makes some cool bikes. I smoked passed a Tallboy just yesterday and the guy was smiling so I know he was having fun.
Well I am now the proud owner of this:

No chance to ride it yet. Hopefully tomorrow.

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
Just the fact that you got out there, road it and had fun...makes it a great bike...

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
Shut your mouth you thug...Your are the reason I got back into this stupid sport and you have cost me a lot of money.
This is a bike, and it goes in the mountains.....Mountain Bike?

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
I'm from New Orleans and live near Albany NY. My SO is doing time as a special ed teacher in Rutland at the moment. Sucks living apart, but it's almost like having a vacation cabin. So close to great skiing and now great mountain biking.

I've had a lot of back issues and injuries over the years. Still have a lot of nagging soreness and twinges. I've been doing heavy barbell lifting all year since recovering from my latest injury. It's making a huge difference, and I was amazed at how little my back bothered me yesterday.

I have squats tonight, though. Not sure how my quads will deal with that after the trails yesterday.
Doing heavy lifting will certainly lead to soreness. I am barely able to walk after a legs day. Nothing is better than squats though as long as you go ATG and not halfway of course.

Rippyman

Rippyman

Audioholic
My Devinci Frantik - Totem Front Fork, Air 5.0 rear shock, Avid Code brakes, Chris King headset, and so on.

and me on it.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Ok Time to bump the crap out of this thread.

Right now I ride to work on my old mountain bike I used to use for trials (it's heavy modified now with fenders, skinny tires and a seat post sky scraper). It works for this though, and being steel it is smooth. Problem is, I lost my trials and mountain bike converting it for commuting, so the only logical thing to do was buy more bikes! Mountain bike is a Rocky Mountain RM7 (which really only goes down trails, not up) and the trials bike is a Inspired 4 play.

DSC_3786 by brianjosephson1, on Flickr

DSC_3791 by brianjosephson1, on Flickr

DSC_3793 by brianjosephson1, on Flickr

DSC_3803 by brianjosephson1, on Flickr

DSC_3807 by brianjosephson1, on Flickr

DSC_3815 by brianjosephson1, on Flickr

DSC_3819 by brianjosephson1, on Flickr

DSC_3826 by brianjosephson1, on Flickr

DSC_3850 by brianjosephson1, on Flickr

SheepStar

ParadigmDawg

ParadigmDawg

Audioholic Overlord
Cool gear...I will race you uphill any place you want to go...lol....

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Cool gear...I will race you uphill any place you want to go...lol....
Give me the same bike as you and it won't be a fair contest. I ride 125kms a week commuting to work. You can only buy so much performance, eventually the rest has to come from you.

SheepStar

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis