Funk Audio 8.2P Floorstanding Loudspeaker Preview

mwmkravchenko

mwmkravchenko

Audioholic
Any idea how much smoothing they put on that graph? It doesn't look like raw data!

How about "±1.25dB limits all the way from 80Hz to 16kHz" in room, as measured by John Atkinson. I would take the extra range with slightly greater tolerance.
The smoothing used here is 1/3rd octave.

A bit of background on the measurements. You guys probably all know that an octave is composed of 12 notes. Take the frequency of 64 hertz. That is approximately a bass C note. Pop up to 128 hertz and you have an octave, or a doubling of frequency. Drop down an octave and you again have a C note. This one is at 32 hertz.

Smoothing is used for a few reasons. There are spikes in the frequency response of anything you are listening to. If they are short in frequency width and not more than 3 to 4 db they are not that unpleasant. But the graph doesn't look good.

A frequency response graph coupled with a high resolution impedance graph presented along the same linear scale will be very revealing of what is happening. You will notice that there are correlations between impedance spikes or drops and the frequency spikes and drops. These are points where there are mechanical problems showing there ugly little heads. No amount of EQ or shaping will eliminate these.

Much practice in the art of loudspeakers has taught me that when something is 24 db down, it is not really an issue at any sane volume.

That is a benchmark point to keep any unwanted sonic trash.

The measurements that are not normally shown is the intermodulation distortion figures. This is something we do not like listening to. And is something that good design practice can mitigate.

Yes we will be showing this figure as well.

At Funk Audio we use 1/6th octave. That's the threshold in the midrange that really matters, and it is much more revealing of the true nature of the beast.

Someone posted a few blurbs about the amplifiers.

Short but sweet.

I went to 8 different manufacturers, and surveyed their products. I investigated their means and methods of how they put together their products and found the one we are using. It is world class. The best methods are used from power input to sound output. The finest power supply engineering and from there they just get better. They are engineered to the tops of their heads so to speak. Bullet proof. In engineering speak they are designed for a 90% duty cycle. Almost full power output full time. Our heatsink size used is 300% greater than worst case scenario. You will never be stressing these amplifiers.

Try that with your favorite megabuck power amp. They let out their smoke. And they stop working. I learned that while working as a electronics repair tech back when I had hair. All electronics run on smoke. When the smoke gets out they stop running. :D

As a reality check you listen to loud music in the low 90db at listening position. If you are about 6 to 8 feet from your speaker you need a one meter volume of 96 to 99 db. If you keep 1% harmonic distortion as your threshold of audibility on pure tones not that many loudspeakers are perfectly capable of meeting this benchmark. Our offering is among the few that is.

So no a loudspeaker does not have to be the weak link in the audio chain.

We will be posting all relevant specs when this product becomes fully implemented. It is still a pre-release.

It is Funk Audios policy not to publicly release performance specs on pre-release full range loudspeakers as they are subject to revision and improvement.

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
The measurements that are not normally shown is the intermodulation distortion figures. This is something we do not like listening to.

As a reality check you listen to loud music in the low 90db at listening position. If you are about 6 to 8 feet from your speaker you need a one meter volume of 96 to 99 db. If you keep 1% harmonic distortion as your threshold of audibility on pure tones not that many loudspeakers are perfectly capable of meeting this benchmark. Our offering is among the few that is.

So no a loudspeaker does not have to be the weak link in the audio chain.
You sound like the "Dope From Hope" (not to infer you're a dope by any means). Paul Klipsch was of course concerned with minimizing distortion (among other things), particularly IMD, hence the horn loaded designs. I'd daresay the Klipschorn, even after almost seventy years of being on the market, and for whatever other flaws it may have, is probably one of the better performers in this regard.

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Vertical off-axis

I hope the vertical off-axis will be very nice as well. Very important in my case I think. :D

monkish54

monkish54

Audioholic General
I hope the vertical off-axis will be very nice as well. Very important in my case I think. :D
Normally I'd say: limited vertical off-axis can be beneficial as it eliminates some floor and ceiling reflections that are bad for timbre and imaging.

In your case I say: For the love of god please have excellent vertical polar response!!

:D :D :p

mwmkravchenko

mwmkravchenko

Audioholic
I'll say this.

Are you bouncing up and down while you listen to music?

Probably at the beginning. :D

Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy!!!!!! I got me sum. Guud speekers!

Seriously your ears stay at a fairly consistent height.

And yes it is of far greater benefit to a soundstage to have less floor or ceiling bounce.

Planars do not give you wonderful vertical directivity graphs.

But neither do dome give you wonderfully low distortion at 100db.

This planar does.

As for Mr. Klipsch.

Good products.

I did a years worth of design work for a company in Maine that does some very good speakers.

The amount of measuring and analysis was staggering. And to the point we can do much better now.

speekers Seriously.

Last edited:
cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
I'm kind of excited to see something new from Funk. Can't wait for an in-depth test by Gene. I think the overall look is :cool:

monkish54

monkish54

Audioholic General
I'll say this.

Are you bouncing up and down while you listen to music?

Probably at the beginning. :D

Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy!!!!!! I got me sum. Guud speekers!
LOL It's that special secret sauce you put in the cabinet, huh? :D

Seriously your ears stay at a fairly consistent height.
Since ADTG has SOOO many speaker, he'd have to place these well above ear level. He's running out of space! :p

And yes it is of far greater benefit to a soundstage to have less floor or ceiling bounce.
If I'm not mistaken, those are the first reflections and the earliest to arrive at your ears? :D

Planars do not give you wonderful vertical directivity graphs
Lot of 'em do have high sensitivity and large surface areas. Narrow width, fairly large surface area, and high sensitivity is a trade-off I'm willing to make for some vertical directivity.

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Normally I'd say: limited vertical off-axis can be beneficial as it eliminates some floor and ceiling reflections that are bad for timbre and imaging.

In your case I say: For the love of god please have excellent vertical polar response!!

:D :D :p
Chris Farley (RIP):

For the love of god. :eek: ADTG's speakers need to be placed way up there. :eek: Please have great vertical off-axis. :eek: For the love of god. :eek:

mwmkravchenko

mwmkravchenko

Audioholic
Perfect so you can watch guys in hoodies and dark sunglasses steal all your speakers.

monkish54

monkish54

Audioholic General
I wonder why the speaker only got a "pretty cool"?

Hey Gene/Admin? Why did this speaker get a "pretty cool" as apposed to "gotta have it"?

Thank you Gene/Admin! :D

mwmkravchenko

mwmkravchenko

Audioholic
Tie it with a yellow ribbon please

Well another day another few tid bits.

Many comments as to the size of ribbon and vertical dispersion.

My answer..

Fogetaboutit!

Why for?

62mm

Yes this is the width, as in the actual diaphragm width of the Funk Audio Planar driver.

152mm

What?

Height. Yes this is the height (actual diaphragm height) of the Funk Audio Planar driver.

For the olde english among us that is 2 7/16" x 6"

One of the larger planar available out there. And it does not have the resonance problems associated with the B&G offerings. I have used the B&G Neo8 and heard the large format planars. They all need a resonant tank circuit to "tame" the anomalies. As in make them disappear like a 2 year old covers it's eyes and you disappear. Your still there and so are the problems in those drivers.

So we started our search for the best.

We narrowed our search to the highest output and widest bandwith.

And we listened, and listened.

mwmkravchenko

mwmkravchenko

Audioholic
But wait there's more

So what happens when you need extra efficiency on the bottom end of a low Qts ( high energy motor ) woofer enclosure?

Most of the time it looks like this:

View attachment 10710

A nice large vent on the same drivers in the same volume enclosure as used in the Funk Audio 8.2 . The vent size for all you DIYers is 3" x 5". generous.

So we didn't quite like this. Not what the doctor ordered.

A bit of fooling around and voila:

View attachment 10711

This is more like it. Much more solid bottom end.

Here is a direct comparison:

View attachment 10712

So we push and we prod, cajole the little molecules of air and we gain a decent amount of efficiency. Almost double down where it matters. Yes 3 db is a efficiency gain of two times in this case.

Funk Audio.

Going the extra mile to get you the best!

monkish54

monkish54

Audioholic General
They all need a resonant tank circuit to "tame" the anomalies.
Series notch filter tames resonance, right? :D

Is there a down side to using a notch filter aside from, well, cost?

That's a pretty small planar to use with a pair of 8" drivers. OTOH, you also made it clear you planned to cross pretty low which nullifies my worry so never mind! :D

mwmkravchenko

mwmkravchenko

Audioholic
Series notch filter tames resonance, right?
Nope.

It just looks like it is tamed.

A mechanical resonance never goes away. They are always audible. They color the sound, in ways that creep up on you over listening time.

Best to stay away from drivers with those problems.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis