Funk Audio 8.2P Floorstanding Loudspeaker Preview

monkish54

monkish54

Audioholic General
hey wake up out there.
I know what you mean monk, but as wise people have said "with the good comes the bad" :rolleyes:, heck I made it through 5 years of college, worked 37 years and then bingo retired at age 58 so there is fun at the end of the educational and work like a slave tunnel.
First off all..funny you should use that emoticon...did you post in the Furry thread?? :O

Work like a slave tunnel sounds pretty poor, but I love the education tunnel! I truly enjoy learning. I watch documentaries almost everyday!

I just don't like being forced to take a Philosophy course, and Music appreciation course. I have little interest in either, so I don't apply myself like I should. The ol' "I could jump on Audioholics" bug tends to get me!

Next semester will be far better. I have my first ever electronics course! I very much look forward to that!

Aside from this semester, I have enjoyed all but one class. The only reason I didn't like that class was because the professor said things I knew weren't true. It's hard to lean from someone who isn't accurate. :D

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
A friend of mine thinks active crossovers can/will induce "electrical noise" in the signal path. I don't know enough about it to argue that point. :eek:

N

Nuance AH

Audioholic General
West Coast and Eastern Canada.

Yep it's a long distance relationship. I fly out when no amount of esplaining will work. And Nathan puts up with me and interesting things happen.

Otherwise it is a great relationship.

So the question is:

Does your wife bake cookies?

I like cookies. MMMMMM Cooookies.
Oh she does - she makes very good cookies. :)

Well, you guys are pretty far away, but I'd love to organize a get together event here in Wisconsin if you fellas are ever up for it. I'm sure there are a lot of interested Midwestern folks. Our last event had to be capped at 25 people and we had a great time (7 speakers, five designers were represented and three different manufacturers attended). This event wouldn't be a "shootout, though, but rather just a good time and a chance to listen to some great products.

Keep up the good work!

R

Ricardojoa

Audioholic
A friend of mine thinks active crossovers can/will induce "electrical noise" in the signal path. I don't know enough about it to argue that point. :eek:
That could said to any electrical component in your audio chain.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I don't think I ever said the SS bested the Salon2; I said it equals its performance and I'd rather have it because it costs less and I like supporting the smaller American companies. I'd take a pair of Salon2's any day of the week, and I'd kiss them goodnight every day for the rest of my life if I could. :D I have loved the Salon2 since it was released.
I paid $14K from a Revel authorized dealer. I can hook you up from the same authorized dealer for $14.5K delivered today for brand new pair of Salon2. For most people, they can do $15K delivered today, but he owes me one, so he can sell you for $14.5K. :D

So the actual street price on the Salon2 is less expensive than the SS12.

Of course, you get the Salon2 as demos for $11K + shipping from some dealers.

I know a crazy guy who copycat me by buying both the Salon2 & 800D (except I got 802D2), but as demos. He paid $11K for Salon2 and $15K for the 800D as demos from dealers.

IOW, if you really want Salon2, the actual street price isn't that high. Even my local dealer asked for something like $17K for them.

So let me ask you this. If you could get the Salon2 for $14.5K delivered, would you get it since it is then less expensive than the SS12, which is $17.5K in high-gloss finish + $400 shipping? So Salon2 for $14.5K or SS12 in high-gloss for $17.9K?

Last edited:
N

Nuance AH

Audioholic General
So let me ask you this. If you could get the Salon2 for $14.5K delivered, would you get it since it is then less expensive than the SS12, which is $17.5K in high-gloss finish + $400 shipping? So Salon2 for $14.5K or SS12 in high-gloss for $17.9K?
Wow - I honestly didn't know you could get them that discounted. So to answer your question (if I had the disposable income), you bet I would buy the Salon2 instead! Less money for similar performance is a no brainer for me. I'm a pretty frugal guy. :)

P.S. That extra 3K would go into a high powered amp to keep the Salon2's singing. ;) I also wouldn't ever buy a high gloss speaker again, for what it's worth, unless that was the only finish option, of course.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
I paid $14K from a Revel authorized dealer. I can hook you up from the same authorized dealer for $14.5K delivered today for brand new pair of Salon2. For most people, they can do $15K delivered today, but he owes me one, so he can sell you for $14.5K. :D
I don't how he does that, because I've heard it breaks his franchise agreement with Revel. I've been told Revel limits authorized dealers to a 20% discount. I also can't understand why any dealer would sell them that cheaply, because they have to pay shipping from Northridge, and the discount to $14.5K eats most of their margin, since I thought the Salon 2 was a 40% margin product. Every authorized dealer I've talked to, that will discount, says $17.5K, which is right on 20% off.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I can tell you that each of my passive speakers is dead silent when nothing is playing, but my Orion active speakers have this "hiss" sound from tweeter and midrange drivers.

And the hiss is not caused by the AT6012 amp because I hooked it to some of my other speakers to test and there was never any hiss. So the hiss is coming from the active XO itself.

Of course, the hiss is not audible from 2 ft away.

A lot of guys on the Orion forum c/o serious hum noise from the active XO also. Hum noise and hissing sound.

Will the active 8.2P have any hiss or prone to hum noise? I guess you will have to plug the power cord of each 8.2P speaker to an outlet. But hum noise and hiss noise will bother a lot of people.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I can tell you that each of my passive speakers is dead silent when nothing is playing, but my Orion active speakers have this "hiss" sound from tweeter and midrange drivers.

And the hiss is not caused by the AT6012 amp because I hooked it to some of my other speakers to test and there was never any hiss. So the hiss is coming from the active XO itself.

Of course, the hiss is not audible from 2 ft away.

A lot of guys on the Orion forum c/o serious hum noise from the active XO also. Hum noise and hissing sound.

Will the active 8.2P have any hiss or prone to hum noise? I guess you will have to plug the power cord of each 8.2P speaker to an outlet. But hum noise and hiss noise will bother a lot of people.
My understanding is that the hiss is usually caused by a mismatch between the sensitivity of the amp and the strength of the signal feeding it.

However, I would not consider it an issue if I could hear hiss only at less than 2' on-axis with the volume cranked and no signal. I can hear the hum from every amp with a toroidal PS that I have ever been around, and it doesn't go away when you turn the volume back down.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I don't how he does that, because I've heard it breaks his franchise agreement with Revel. I've been told Revel limits authorized dealers to a 20% discount. I also can't understand why any dealer would sell them that cheaply, because they have to pay shipping from Northridge, and the discount to $14.5K eats most of their margin, since I thought the Salon 2 was a 40% margin product. Every authorized dealer I've talked to, that will discount, says $17.5K, which is right on 20% off.
I have friends in high places. :D

Can't tell you who. :D

You could say he's a dealer for a great many things audio & video. :D

He said the dealer cost of the Salon2 is about $14K/pr. But throughout the year, Revel would offer INCENTIVES (KEF also offers incentives BTW) that is another 10% off, which is another $1,400 off. So this puts dealer cost with incentive to $12.6K. Shipping is free to the dealer.

KEF is even better. Dealer cost on the Reference line is 50% off. So brand new 207/2 is $10K/pr dealer cost. 10% incentive is then $9K dealer cost. Shipping is free to dealers. Nice!

Dealer cost for B&W & ATC is 30% off MSRP.

Times are difficult. Stores are closing. Gotta do whatever it takes. :D

Last edited:
KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I am a little late to the party on this, but what makes active crossovers complex?
Do some companies use crossover gear like the Behringer DCX 9624?

My Focal Solo6Be's are active and all I can do is turn them on and switch between pro-audio and consumer audio sensitivity for the inputs.

I can understand the Orions having lots of tweak options, I think they were originally designed for DIY'ers to build their own and Linkwitz later started manufacturing them for DIFM'ers (Do It For Me!). :)

But the point is there is nothing unique that requires complexity from an active crossover; it is only when the designer makes choices which allow the user to tweak and tune that it becomes more complex!

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I am a little late to the party on this, but what makes active crossovers complex?
Do some companies use crossover gear like the Behringer DCX 9624?

My Focal Solo6Be's are active and all I can do is turn them on and switch between pro-audio and consumer audio sensitivity for the inputs.

I can understand the Orions having lots of tweak options, I think they were originally designed for DIY'ers to build their own and Linkwitz later started manufacturing them for DIFM'ers (Do It For Me!). :)

But the point is there is nothing unique that requires complexity from an active crossover; it is only when the designer makes choices which allow the user to tweak and tune that it becomes more complex!
Yeah, I don't think it has to be complex, but it can be.

Ridikas wanted a complex XO with Room Correction/EQ/DSP, etc.

BTW, I almost bought the Solo6. I should have bought the 1007be new from Music Direct for like $1700 or something. Buyer's remorse right here. :(

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
I have friends in high places. :D

Can't tell you who. :D

You could say he's a dealer for a great many things audio & video. :D

He said the dealer cost of the Salon2 is about $14K/pr. But throughout the year, Revel would offer INCENTIVES (KEF also offers incentives BTW) that is another 10% off, which is another $1,400 off. So this puts dealer cost with incentive to $12.6K. Shipping is free to the dealer.
Well, that sort of aligns with what I heard, except for the part about being contractually able to sell that cheaply. I've also heard about the incentives (like trunk money in the auto business), but I was told Revel dealers are still not allowed to pass that on. This is how unauthorized guys like the High End Zone and Audiophile Liquidator get their inventory from authorized dealers and price accordingly, but from those folks you lose the warranty.

When I bought my Salon 2s, admittedly over two years ago now, I talked to seven dealers either on the phone or in person. Every one told the same story. I did a little better because of a recalcitrant local dealer forcing me to travel to audition, and Revel letting the dealer I ordered from do something a little special, but it wasn't $15K.

Something about this whole story doesn't smell quite right.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Ridikas wanted a complex XO with Room Correction/EQ/DSP, etc.

BTW, I almost bought the Solo6. I should have bought the 1007be new from Music Direct for like $1700 or something. Buyer's remorse right here. :(
I like having the options there should I decide I want/need them, but would also suggest a simple "pure direct" switch to bypass the complexity for the "plug 'n play" owners.

Love my Solo6's!
$1700 is a killer deal on the 1007's that is less than 1/3 of the MSRP!

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Being the bored and lazy student I am. :p

I'm sick of taking lame courses. I tend to be bored and lack desire to apply myself. There are only so many classes that have absolutely nothing to do with my major that I can take before I go insane. :D
That's the difference between a straight "A" student and everyone else. The "A" students never ask WHY. They just memorize everything. :eek: :D

Come to think of it, I never ask WHY when it comes to speakers either. I just buy everything. :eek:

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
$1700 is a killer deal on the 1007's that is less than 1/3 of the MSRP!
Don't tell me about it. :D

Major buyer's remorse. If I had not bought the 826V, those 1007be would be sitting in my house. :(

I'm too lazy now to sell the 826V. :D

I just want to listen to my music and watch my movies and enjoy. ;)

N

Nuance AH

Audioholic General
I just want to listen to my music and watch my movies and enjoy. ;)
And collect enough speakers to make your signature stretch across the whole screen. :D

Wow - we need to be smacked in the head (Gibbs slap). We're way too good at taking threads off topic...:eek: Sorry Funk Audio!

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Well, that sort of aligns with what I heard, except for the part about being contractually able to sell that cheaply. I've also heard about the incentives (like trunk money in the auto business), but I was told Revel dealers are still not allowed to pass that on. This is how unauthorized guys like the High End Zone and Audiophile Liquidator get their inventory from authorized dealers and price accordingly, but from those folks you lose the warranty.

When I bought my Salon 2s, admittedly over two years ago now, I talked to seven dealers either on the phone or in person. Every one told the same story. I did a little better because of a recalcitrant local dealer forcing me to travel to audition, and Revel letting the dealer I ordered from do something a little special, but it wasn't $15K.

Something about this whole story doesn't smell quite right.
I probably should just tell everyone I paid $22K for the Salon2, $18K for the KEF 201/2, and $15K for the B&W 802D2. I wouldn't want any dealers or my friend to get in trouble. :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
And collect enough speakers to make your signature stretch across the whole screen. :D

Wow - we need to be smacked in the head (Gibbs slap). We're way too good at taking threads off topic...:eek: Sorry Funk Audio!
Yeah, we need an AH review line up for the 8.2P active. :D

But since you guys know I hate internal amps, if I were to buy, which I'm not saying I am, I would have to get the passive version. Does that mean I kind of agree with the Chronicles (of Ridikas) ? :D

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis