Funk Audio 8.2P Floorstanding Loudspeaker Preview

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
I sure hope not!

I too would get the passive version, for what it's worth.
I would actually go active; I like the idea of not having to worry about what kind of amplification I'd need to drive the speakers to their potential, and the potential performance benefits are tempting. Of course, I'm a bit different in that I'd stick with a 2.2 setup and be done with it, as I'm a bit ambivalent towards surround.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Will the 8.2P active measure like this $200 ($175 sale) NHT Absolute Zero speaker (purple line)?

The Absolute Zero’s listening-window response (a five-point average of axial and +/–15-degree horizontal and vertical responses) measures +0.94/–0.82 decibels from 200 hertz to 10 kilohertz.

Have you guys seen any speaker on earth measure flatter than that from 3rd party measurements? :eek:

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I sure hope not!

I too would get the passive version, for what it's worth.
Well, see, the Chronicles of Ridikas would also buy the passive 8.2P; so technically speaking, all 3 of us are in agreement. :eek:

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I would actually go active; I like the idea of not having to worry about what kind of amplification I'd need to drive the speakers to their potential, and the potential performance benefits are tempting. Of course, I'm a bit different in that I'd stick with a 2.2 setup and be done with it, as I'm a bit ambivalent towards surround.
You said it for me!
Further consider that each amp is being selected for the exact driver it will be paired to.
My Focals use a 150W Class D amp for the woofer and a 100W Class AB for the tweeters.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
You said it for me!
Further consider that each amp is being selected for the exact driver it will be paired to.
My Focals use a 150W Class D amp for the woofer and a 100W Class AB for the tweeters.
My fear has always been possible need for replacement down the line. Will you be able to find an exact match and how soon could you find it if it is a special amp not available to the public? If the internal amps malfunction, there will be delays.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
My fear has always been possible need for replacement down the line. Will you be able to find an exact match and how soon could you find it if it is a special amp not available to the public? If the internal amps malfunction, there will be delays.
Right. It must be terrible when you don't have any back-up speakers to use.

R

Ricardojoa

Audioholic
Will the 8.2P active measure like this $200 ($175 sale) NHT Absolute Zero speaker (purple line)?

The Absolute Zero’s listening-window response (a five-point average of axial and +/–15-degree horizontal and vertical responses) measures +0.94/–0.82 decibels from 200 hertz to 10 kilohertz.

Have you guys seen any speaker on earth measure flatter than that? :eek:
Check out ascend cbm170, it measures pretty flat within those ranges, flatter beyong those.

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
That is a good point. While I certainly don't wish anything bad upon Funk, if they fold and you've got one of their active speakers that suffers an amp failure, you're up a creek without a paddle...

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord

Have you guys seen any speaker on earth measure flatter than that? :eek:
Any idea how much smoothing they put on that graph? It doesn't look like raw data!

How about "±1.25dB limits all the way from 80Hz to 16kHz" in room, as measured by John Atkinson. I would take the extra range with slightly greater tolerance.

NHT Xd active loudspeaker system Follow-Up Measurements | Stereophile.com

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
That is a good point. While I certainly don't wish anything bad upon Funk, if they fold and you've got one of their active speakers that suffers an amp failure, you're up a creek without a paddle...
And what if the supplier of those special amps (parts) can no longer produce?

Parts supplies is an issue. How many times have we heard about parts not being available even when the speaker companies are well and alive?

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
True. I feel a bit better about this with my speakers because they are pro audio, they seem to retain a popular model for longer without changing the model number (or version) every year. There are also a hell of a lot of these out there, so I don't know if Focal will abandon replacement parts after they abandon the design.

The fear is there, but unless it is user error, the nature of electronics is to either fail quickly or to provide an acceptably long life (20+ years). I never work my stuff near its design capability, so wouldn't be surprised if they outlast me.

Nonetheless, the possibility is still there that mine might be the fluke that fails in the middle of the normal life.

Last edited:
KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Wow, nice. Did NHT use an outboard XO & amp? Or was it all internal?
Outboard in one box.

The basic Xd configuration tested here was: the XdA, a box containing four channels of power amplification and crossover/equalization for up to two satellites and two subwoofers; a pair of two-way XdS satellite speakers with stands; and the XdW, a powered bipole subwoofer module. Other configurations of electronics, speakers, and woofer can accommodate anything from 2.1 to 6.1 channels and beyond.
NHT Xd active loudspeaker system | Stereophile.com

PS- NHT has these on sale today only for about $2600, no sub required for music (in room extension to 20Hz). I love the look! I don't believe they are still in production, but they seem to keep coming up with a few more to sell. I would have jumped on them by now, but the Aluminum tweeter scared me off. NHT might have a very good one, but I am not willing to take the risk, I like Be and ribbons!:)

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
True. I feel a bit better about this with my speakers because they are pro audio, they seem to retain a popular model for longer without changing the model number (or version) every year. There are also a hell of a lot of these out there, so I don't know if Focal will abandon replacement parts after they abandon the design.

The fear is there, but unless it is user error, the nature of electronics is to either fail quickly or to provide an acceptably long life (20+ years). I never work my stuff near its design capability, so wouldn't be surprised if they outlast me.

Nonetheless, the anxiety is still their that mine might be the fluke that fails in the middle of the normal life.
I would make a small wager that in the loudspeaker industry drivers are the biggest failure issue by far, not electronics.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
What I love about Funk Audio is total customization for both subwoofers & speakers.

If you prefer passive, you can buy passive.

If you prefer active, you can buy active.

You want 2400watts killer amps? You got it too! :D

I like. :)

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I would make a small wager that in the loudspeaker industry drivers are the biggest failure issue by far, not electronics.
I wouldn't bet against you on that.
Generally, mechanical systems are much more problematic than electrical.

We all love good speakers, but even the best speakers are still the greatest source of inaccuracy in any normal system.

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
I can tell you that each of my passive speakers is dead silent when nothing is playing, but my Orion active speakers have this "hiss" sound from tweeter and midrange drivers.

And the hiss is not caused by the AT6012 amp because I hooked it to some of my other speakers to test and there was never any hiss. So the hiss is coming from the active XO itself.

Of course, the hiss is not audible from 2 ft away.

A lot of guys on the Orion forum c/o serious hum noise from the active XO also. Hum noise and hissing sound.

Will the active 8.2P have any hiss or prone to hum noise? I guess you will have to plug the power cord of each 8.2P speaker to an outlet. But hum noise and hiss noise will bother a lot of people.
My understanding is that the hiss is usually caused by a mismatch between the sensitivity of the amp and the strength of the signal feeding it.

However, I would not consider it an issue if I could hear hiss only at less than 2' on-axis with the volume cranked and no signal. I can hear the hum from every amp with a toroidal PS that I have ever been around, and it doesn't go away when you turn the volume back down.
I have the DCX2496 in my 2-channel system. It does induce some hiss and I believe it's as KEW says - different sensitivities. I just wondered if the active crossover has any effect.

N

Nuance AH

Audioholic General
mwmkravchenko,

Do you have any measurements of the 8.2P that you're able to share with us? I'd appreciate any extra info that you could give us regarding these speakers.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis