Funk Audio 8.2P Floorstanding Loudspeaker Preview

mwmkravchenko

mwmkravchenko

Audioholic
There are 2 ways to find it. Taking an impedance sweep and an acoustical measurement
Look between 12 and 14 kilothertz. On the impedance graph there will be a small bump.

This is a diaphragm resonance. He notch circuit is only a passive means of Equalization. It never goes away. I listen to a pair of those everyday for 5 years.

When you increase the level being played by the driver, the notch keeps it real to position.

There is no electronic means of making a mechanical problems go away.

monkish54

monkish54

Audioholic General
There are 2 ways to find it. Taking an impedance sweep and an acoustical measurement
Look between 12 and 14 kilothertz. On the impedance graph there will be a small bump.
Thank you. :D

the notch keeps it real to position.
The notch does what?

There is no electronic means of making a mechanical problems go away.
Are you saying that a notch filter will equalize the mechanical resonance, but it won't truly get rid of it as it is just a passive component and not a rework of the driver? :D

Thanks for the info, btw. :D

mwmkravchenko

mwmkravchenko

Audioholic
I'm saying that a notch filter is simply a bandaid solution. The problem is still underneath the band aid.

Tell me it ain't so.

Are you calling me A troll?

mwmkravchenko

mwmkravchenko

Audioholic
Hum is an impedance mismatch between a components chassis ground and actual ground and potential.

You can use different means to isolate that problem.

But not getting into that one here.

Not the same kind of filter. Those electrical filters actually do their job.

The loudspeaker approach is not quite the same application.

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
I'm saying that a notch filter is simply a bandaid solution. The problem is still underneath the band aid.
I won't call you a troll, but I'm curious how audible this resonance would be if the problem were taken into account and the speaker engineered accordingly, ie with a 4th order XO an octave or more below the resonance for example, especially since the issue is above 10kHz where human hearing is less than stellar.

Last edited:
mwmkravchenko

mwmkravchenko

Audioholic
In the example given the problems at 13 kilohertz.

No crossover up that high.

Your example of using a fourth order crossover is valid. Because it takes a 24 decibel lowering of the problackem to make it go away in real world use.

So the choice of crossover and the point of use will very much determine the efficacy of the output. This becomes a really big problem in woofer to midrange crossover points where our hearing is acute. And in the example given just plain annoying up that high.

This is also the case in operation of a narrow band dome midrange.

We all choose our own poisons.

Steve81

Steve81

Audioholics Five-0
In the example given the problems at 13 kilohertz.

No crossover up that high.

Your example of using a fourth order crossover is valid. Because it takes a 24 decibel lowering of the problackem to make it go away in real world use.
I think the example that pops into most people's mind are Philharmonic's offers which utilize the Neo 8. I'm not sure where Dennis crosses it over to the RAAL tweeter, but given the audible results, I'd guess he probably crossed it low enough to avoid significant audible problems.

We all choose our own poisons.
That's what makes it fun!

mwmkravchenko

mwmkravchenko

Audioholic
I agree that Denis knows what he is doing.

The driver choices are well thought out.

And he definitely has room with the tweeter to crossover well out of the trouble region.

monkish54

monkish54

Audioholic General
I'm not sure where Dennis crosses it over to the RAAL tweeter
Certainly not 14,000hz! LOL

Dennis uses the RAAL at 2900hz. At 24dB an octave, the resonance is not even close to being an issue. :D

D

dznutz

Audiophyte
I agree that Denis knows what he is doing.

The driver choices are well thought out.

And he definitely has room with the tweeter to crossover well out of the trouble region.
Are any of Funk Audio's products available for audition at your Perth, ON facility?

mwmkravchenko

mwmkravchenko

Audioholic
No.

My facility is my humble home. I'm not setup for auditioning systems.

I've worked from there since I built it.

If circumstances permit I will be showing them at the next DIY Ottawa event. You can find some of that stuff on another well known DIY audio website.

A

aces high

Enthusiast
No.

My facility is my humble home. I'm not setup for auditioning systems.

I've worked from there since I built it.

If circumstances permit I will be showing them at the next DIY Ottawa event. You can find some of that stuff on another well known DIY audio website.
I'm in Ottawa and would love some info about the next DIY meet if you don't mind.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I have not seen anything new of the 8.1P monitors on the website.

Any pics & specs?

I'm interested. :D

mwmkravchenko

mwmkravchenko

Audioholic
They are getting a radical redesign.

There's a pair of the original for sale. They measure exceedingly well.

The new one will be a little bit of a change.

N

Nuance AH

Audioholic General
mwmkravchenko

mwmkravchenko

Audioholic
Contact man with no cape.

He is the dude. I sent him measurements on Sunday.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis