Enter to Win: $1000 off Axiom Order!

How do you rank your overall knowledge of A/V Home Entertainment?

• Novice - ie you have trouble wiring new equipment into your system

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • Basic Knowledge - ie - can plug it all in but have trouble setting it up properly

Votes: 51 17.0%
  • Good Knowledge - ie can set it up from start to finish

Votes: 188 62.7%
  • Expert - can set it up and calibrate it without using auto set up features

Votes: 59 19.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
H

HiHoStevo

Audiophyte
Hi Tom

I can setup all the speakers and plug in the wires... that part is easy...

My receiver greatfully has an auto setup feature that is supposed to optimize my particular speakers and room.......... Other than that the only thing I knew how to do was to use a db meter from Radio Shack and simply make sure all the test tones were as close to the same amplitude as possible from my listening position.

Now when people start talking about how to properly setup a subwoofer I am lost... I just adjust the output until the movies sound right! You know... so my neighbors know when I am watching U-571 :D

Steve

mab473

Audiophyte
I am in the middle of having Basic Knowledge and having Good Knowledge. Most of my knowledge has been self taught by reading forums like this one and by reading magazines.

V

VicAjax

Audioholic Intern
Good... i could set everything up without Auto Setup, but i'd still need to refer repeatedly to the manual(s).

Wafflesomd

Wafflesomd

Senior Audioholic
I went to circuit city to test some polk floors, had to wire it all myself. But still, only an intermediate amount of knowledge.

Look's like they don't have anyone working in that department.

Last edited:
R

Randos

Audioholic Intern
I voted good knowledge because I feel I have a lot yet to learn. This site (and board) has been helping me daily though!

B

Bellydawg

Audiophyte
Basic Knowledge

I put basic because of the learning curve and don't feel I am at the good level just yet. I can talk somewhat coherently about AV but still have a lot to learn. Having used this forum to help in recent purchases like a Denon receiver and SVS subwoofer, I am slowly buying the pieces to put together a good system. The greatest benefit has been the places to purchase online such that getting the same product at a better price.

G

GiantKillerRobo

Audiophyte
Good Knowledge - Mostly from Audioholics!

I voted for Good, based on my experience of setting up my HT system twice (two different receiver/speaker sets, and the permutations thereof) and one HT setup for a friend. Audioholics has been a large contributor to my overall HT knowledge, I love the science/fact based approach to AV issues.

J

Josuah

Senior Audioholic
I've got an SPL meter, ECM8000, and have used both with Room EQ Wizard to calibrate levels for all channels and perform manual subwoofer EQ. (Room EQ Wizard auto-filters aren't good enough when you need to apply filters below 20Hz.)

S

sandtrap

Junior Audioholic
I handle electronics with ease. But calibrating for the best sound is a different set of skills.

R

rr2465

Junior Audioholic
Good at best...

I think that I'm pretty good with the wiring and that is ALL due to all of the lessons and suggestions on the Audioholics web page. I think that I have more trouble with the calibration of the system particularly the video.

Thanks.

tonay

tonay

Junior Audioholic
Tom Andry said:
Axiom Audio wants your opinion!

Axiom Audio is offering $1000 Axiom dollars redeemable on any Axiom purchase to one (1) randomly selected winner!

To be eligible to win, you must: 1) Be a registered Audioholics forum member, 2) Have USA or Canadian Residence 3) Respond to the poll above and explain your response below in this contest thread.

Note this contest ends on January 31st, 2007. Winners will be drawn shortly thereafter

Have fun and good luck!
I have fairly good knowledge and have been reading lots of info on this and other sites for the past year or more. Without getting into meter calibration I've been able to set up, position and adjust speakers (cross over thru AVR)to what sounds good to me.

Last edited by a moderator:
J

JonBaker99

Audioholic
Expert

I choose expert because I feel very confident in my abilities. I've been playing with A/V equipment since about the age of 10. Been in the industry now for about 7 years. as an installer, sales person and system designer. I also have taken every chance I can get toa ttend industry conferences and training.

M

mindmuir

Audiophyte
Good, not great

I can handle all the wiring, installation issues just fine. Its the fine tuning and really detailed settings I have a problem with.

B

bobfff

Audiophyte
Why Good?

I can follow most instructions (although Denon's for the 2807 made my head explode...).

Bob

C

CooLJ92

Audioholic Intern
I am no proffesional, but I can set up the basics pretty well. I can also calibrate the speakers good with an SPL meter that I invested on. Allan from Axiom has recommended this and selected to invest in one. So far, I have calibrated a couple of my family members system. As far as the rest of setting up the HT, I have gotten great articles from axiom sharing their expertise with us to increase my knowledge of HT basics.

Thanks Audioholics and Axiom.

jj

J

jwill242004

Audiophyte
I am overhauling my HT setup and would love a litle help from Axiom. I am by no means an expert on this stuff, but I am farely knowledgeable in all of the basic areas. I am learning everyday. Wiring and things like that are no problem,. I just recently calibrated my first system with an SPL meter, and once you do it, it seems a lot easier than I thought it would be.

I never win anything, but ya never know!

Jason

B

bozman

Audiophyte
Not an Expert

My first Post! I am not an expert but I'm trying, maybe if I had a new Axiom Sub I would be closer. :)

BJWagner

BJWagner

Enthusiast
I chose: Good Knowledge.

In the past year I have moved into the world of Home Theatre. I pride myself on making well thought-out decisions, and so I turned to the internet for its wealth of free advice. Sites like Audioholics and AVS Forum have helped me understand this beast that I have released in my home. Now I have a LCD projector, a 118” screen, and a 5.1 surround-sound system in my basement theatre room. It was installed by my wife and I—she deserves a great deal of credit due to her tireless sewing of the ceiling panels. Soon I’ll be upgrading my existing speaker-system, and have been seriously looking at Axiom.

I find asking advice of owners and reading the latest reviews the best way to learn about AV equipment, and interestingly enough, the more I understand, the less I feel inclined to spend.

C

cusky5oh

Enthusiast
If we were to call ourselves an expert, then we would be those guys that work at those big warehouse stores that shall remain nameless, learning new stuff about our hobby, setting up our new piece of gear, turning it on for the first time and it not working, then spending another 2 hours troubleshooting, thats the stuff we love, maybe an "expert" wouldn't have to troubleshoot, it would work the first time, but wheres the sense of accomplishment in that?
just a thought

and p.s. Being in Iraq and the closest thing to decent sound is a pair of Grado Headphones because you had the foresight to buy something that sounded decent, sucks. (the being away from decent speakers, not the headphones)

T

TT-

Audioholic Intern
Good Knowledge. I wired my entire home theater system from running wire and hook up the A/V. I want my $1000 now :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis