Enter to Win: $1000 off Axiom Order!

How do you rank your overall knowledge of A/V Home Entertainment?

• Novice - ie you have trouble wiring new equipment into your system

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • Basic Knowledge - ie - can plug it all in but have trouble setting it up properly

Votes: 51 17.0%
  • Good Knowledge - ie can set it up from start to finish

Votes: 188 62.7%
  • Expert - can set it up and calibrate it without using auto set up features

Votes: 59 19.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
R

RMK!

I said good knowledge. Having upgraded components as much as I have, setting up a system is fairly easy for me. I consider expert to be just that and I am a long way from considering myself expert. As the hobby I most enjoy, the learning and tweaking is almost as much fun as the results.

C

chromedd

Audiophyte
Basic knowledge

I rated myself as a Basic guy... I can hook up everything (and even understand why I used DVI/Component cables over Composite ones), but I can't tell you much about speaker placement, or how to correctly adjust their values. That's one of the reasons I bought a Yamaha reciever: the auto-mike-based-setup worked well enough for my ears!

Jeromey

M

Martiad3

Audioholic
I said I have a good knowledge of setup. I dont' have any problems getting everything connected correctly, and understand how to calibrate properly (just lacking a lot of experience in calibration).

J

Jottle

Audioholic Intern
I pick up a few new calibration options here and there. But as it stands, many systems are pretty similar in setup.

O

oldnkranky

Audiophyte
I'm pretty good at setting up systems. Although setting up the subwoofer still gives me fits. I usually end up with lean tight bass or boomy bass.

C

ceberle

Audiophyte
While I still have much to learn about this hobby (don't we all!), I chose Expert because I have started doing this for money. I went for the ISF training and am now calibrating displays for clients. Through a few clients' requests, I am now doing audio setup and consulting as well. I hope to make custom installations a full-time career in a few years. I also do this so I can buy more toys for myself! It's definitely a career you have to love to do well at.

Chris
ISFer in NY

K

kryolla

Enthusiast
I have a good knowledge on the fundamentals of AV set up but lack the fundamentals for sound waves which is neccessary for proper calibration such as freq sweep and how to correct the peaks and nulls with speaker placement and room treatments. The depth of my calibration is with an SPL meter and the proper setting on the receiver such as speaker size and crossover freq. Thanks

Drew

mwaldman

Audiophyte
Always learning more

I have always setup my own audio/video system but you can always learn more and new technology keeps on being developed.

agarwalro

agarwalro

Audioholic Ninja
I fall into the "expert" catagory based on the options provided, but, I would hardly call myself one. I consider myself "advanced", better than "good" but not "expert".

E

eddie

Junior Audioholic
I would say just basic for myself. I can make all of the connections, no problem, but, adjusting sound levels, using a meter, etc is a bit over my head.

H

Hans

Audioholic Intern
I chose Good knowledge, not expert, although I'm probably somewhere in between. I don't have any formal training, but have no problem whatsoever calibrating, or troubleshooting a system using DVE or AVIA, with an SPL meter. I also read a lot, from a lot of different sources for some time now. I have problems when it comes too scientific (formulas, and stuff).

E

Exit

Audioholic Chief
I am experienced and qualified to set up a home theater but I do use the auto-calibration features on my receiver. I set up the subwoofer parametric equalizer manually using test tones and a SPL meter.

B

broberts

Enthusiast
I'll say expert. My equipment is old enough, so I've never used any Auto-setup. Manual calibration all the way. I can also rewire my equipment blindfolded.

V

vegsoft

Audiophyte
I could be an expert if I read the direction but who wants to read the directions :) .

G

gonar

Enthusiast
I put good knowledge because I have set up my, my sister's and my parent's home theaters, and built my own subwoofer.

J

jmanlp

Audioholic
I put good knowledge since I have no problems wiring anything, and I can do some manual setup, but I usually use the auto setup for simplicity.

sleeper

sleeper

Audioholic Intern
I only chose "Expert" because the explanation was the most appropriate. I really don't consider myself an expert, it's only that I don't use the auto set-up features, I prefer to do it manually. My background comes from the pro-audio realm, selling equipment, system set-ups, live sound, etc... so I'm not too afraid to tackle it myself.

Sleeper

P.S. Yeah, I only joined in hopes of winning the contest. I have no shame.

D

djoxygen

Full Audioholic
I picked "Good Knowledge", but I'm probaby in between that and "Expert". I've never used auto-setup, and I know my way around Avia and DVE discs with a good eyeball and brain. However, I don't (yet) have a SPL meter or colorimeter, and I'm just starting to learn all the surround modes on my pre/pro. Interconnects and most Setup Menus are no problem, and I'm certainly not afraid to dig in a try stuff.

J

jwp975

Enthusiast
I am not an expert at all but I can set up one from star to finish.

I try by best to keep up with Home Theater technology through web sites like Audioholics.

L

larry7995

Full Audioholic
I gained most of my av knowledge after joining audioholics and avsforum - I can set up a system, I know what tv specs are good, I can use an SPL meter, I know what components are good, how to go audition before I buy. I have also learned that its a lifelong addiction, and I can't wait to see what comes out at CES! :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis