Enter to Win: $1000 off Axiom Order!

How do you rank your overall knowledge of A/V Home Entertainment?

• Novice - ie you have trouble wiring new equipment into your system

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • Basic Knowledge - ie - can plug it all in but have trouble setting it up properly

Votes: 51 17.0%
  • Good Knowledge - ie can set it up from start to finish

Votes: 188 62.7%
  • Expert - can set it up and calibrate it without using auto set up features

Votes: 59 19.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Taskmaster

Taskmaster

Enthusiast
I would say Basic Knowledge:

The one thing I learned is I have alot to learn to get on par with some of the folks on this forum. Over the last month I have been reading on this forum daily along with various other sites. Although I did hook up my HT myself, I know that as I continue to learn more I will be able to tweak it here and there to get the most out of my purchase. I will keep reading and keep learning and then start to give back to this forum value like I have got from it.

H

hogfan

Audioholic Intern
good knowledge

I confidently say I can connect components, & speakers. :p I'm just not satisfied with the sub position & or sub quality. I normaly turn the sub off for music. There is only one possible location, behind the r-frt. speaker, turned sidways.

A

ahdeeoh

Enthusiast
Contest

I would imagine anyone that makes it to this site and contest has a better than average knowledge of the audio scene.

O

Oguard

Audioholic Intern
Good not great

I can do the mechanics of set up from beginning to end.

I know what I like to hear and see but also recognize there are greater minds than mine out there so I would rely on an ISF certified technician and I have access to some very talented musicians/technicians who can help with my sound.

I am an enthusiast who is familiar with the esoteric but prefers the dollar value found via careful research; I want to approach the point of dimishing returns without ruining my budget nor my marriage.

Thank you.

T

tlqualman

Audioholic Intern
I chose expert knowledge but really think I am above good but not at the pro level that I would consider the expert to be. I have the equiptment to do the audio levels and also the video calibration dvd's but now only use them after I adjust it by sight since I can usually get it about 90% of the way there myself and then use the disc to touch up the details.

S

sydog1

Audiophyte
Axiom

I have a pretty good understanding of home theater, but I still consider myself to have basic knowledge. I don't think I would have any problems wiring up the system. However, proper placement is probably another sotry. Also, seeing that I've never owned a home theater setup, it wouldn't fair to call myself an expert. :) Winning the $1000 gift certificate from Axiom would be a good start for my setup.

B

BobBart

Audioholic
I am definitely and expert. I have set everything up myself, built my own speakers, installed an IB sub, projector 2 media servers all by myself.

malloc

malloc

Audiophyte
I picked

Expert - can set it up and calibrate it without using auto set up features

because I set everything up once with auto, but then after countless hours of listening and looking at the setup I decided that I liked the numbers I picked better ;)

epicenterdude

Audiophyte
I'm good but not an expert

just purchased a new house in FLA and it has a bonus room that in the model was made into a home theater. Of course, that is what I want to make the bonus room in this house. I have a good knowledge but have learned a lot fom reading the articles/reviews on audioholics. Especially interested in the Denon a/v receivers and the axiom audio speakers. Can't wait to see and hear how it all turns out.

Totoro

Junior Audioholic
I've always set up my own equipment with good results. Everyone is impressed by the sound from my modest equipment. However, I use the Internet for guidelines and suggestions, including this site for specific advice.

no. 5

no. 5

Audioholic Field Marshall
I feel like a snob for this...

I picked "Expert", as it was the one that fit, though I don't think of myself as one.

D

danog14

Audiophyte
I like to use my ears to calibrate and my own eyes. I have used calibration tools, but sometimes I only use them as a starting tool and then tweek from there. I voted good understanding. My dad and I have completely different listening tastes. I like very forward sounding speakers and he likes laid back. I am definitely not an expert and do not design my own crossovers, speakers and such, nor would I want to when others have done it already.

Dan

A

abboudc

Audioholic Chief
I chose good knowledge. I can hook up all my equipment and get it running smoothly, and am modestly knowledgeable. But i still come here for answers more often than not :)

J

jcarter1979

Audiophyte
I consider myself pretty knowledable, but I could always learn more.

bigbassdave

bigbassdave

Full Audioholic
I feel completely comfortable running wires and hooking everything up properly. However, I do struggle when it comes to precisely callibrating a receiver. As some of the other posters mentioned, there is always room to improve.

G

goodhiccup

Audiophyte
I can set it up, but haven't spent any time learning how to calibrate everything properly. When I can get some time, then I'll try to start....

So, I would definitely say that I have a good knowledge. Far from expert.

apatel25314

apatel25314

Audioholic
I feel that i can hook up everything correctly, and program the miscellaneous components but i need help with calibration and some subwoofer placement, i answered good knowledge for this reason.:) :) :) :) :) :) :)

HOSS

HOSS

Enthusiast
I chose "Good Knowledge". Are there systems I could set up and calibrate on my own, I'm sure. However, I won't proclaim to know more than I do. I'm positive there are systems that would leave my scratching my head. Fortunately this site provides all the help anyone would need when they get stumped.

The Numenorian

The Numenorian

Junior Audioholic
I selected the third option because I don't own any SPL meters or audio test gear/discs, mainly because I enjoy the easy of my Yamaha YPAO setup system. I also know a lot of physics formulas that I can use to measure the theoretical location of soundwave nodes and antinodes, which come in handy for setting my sub in just the right spot and phase.

Mr. Lamb Fries

Mr. Lamb Fries

Full Audioholic
Between Good Knowledge and Expert, I chose Good Knowledge. I Dont use the auto set-up because I think tinkering is part of the fun of this hobby. I didnt choose expert because I am still learning...which is why I visit this site frequentlyI use the SPL meter for all my audio set-up and some test disks for the audio and video. I try to see what looks good, and listen to what sounds good to me. Then Im all set! (until I tinker some more)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis