Enter to Win: $1000 off Axiom Order!

How do you rank your overall knowledge of A/V Home Entertainment?

• Novice - ie you have trouble wiring new equipment into your system

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • Basic Knowledge - ie - can plug it all in but have trouble setting it up properly

Votes: 51 17.0%
  • Good Knowledge - ie can set it up from start to finish

Votes: 188 62.7%
  • Expert - can set it up and calibrate it without using auto set up features

Votes: 59 19.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
HT knowledge

I would consider myself in the Good to Expert knowledge range. I am comfortable setting up new electronics and HT equipment and calibrating with an SPL meter and setup discs.

F

fastbal9

Audiophyte
I know audio well, but still have a little trouble with video calibration.

I

Intradio

Audiophyte
Setup

Hi All:

I find the auto setup feature on to-days amps will get you into the right ballpark. From there, I use a SPL meter to tweak the individual speaker levels. Next, I use a combo of Behringer 8000 mic, M-Audio pre-usb outboard soundcard, HP laptop with TrueRTA software to position my mains for flattest response. This is not too much of a problem as I do have some acoustic wall treatments

At this time, I have a couple of entry level 150 watt subs in a large basement HT room. Trying to scrape some $ together for a decent sub but WAF priorities are not helping.

Of course the sub calibration is always barrels of fun, especially with no real bass traps. After taping the floor in 3ft squares and getting much exercise by pushing the subs around the room, I have found, with my setup, the subs have a decent response sitting beside the mains. I then use my Behringer EQ to knock down a couple of peaks.

Good Luck to All
Intradio

B

burntcore1

Audiophyte
I know just enough basics to get by. I feel intimidated just reading about all of what the top end receivers can do. I wouldn' t know where to begin on how to set them up.

Audiosouse

Audiosouse

Audioholic
Expert?

Based on your description I chose expert, but in real life I would consider Gene or a professional installer an expert. I'm at the point where I can wire and calibrate pretty much any system without consulting instructions.

I know what requires set up and why, so the how becomes intuitive. Big props to AH for their detailed set up explanations!

J

jmritchie

Audiophyte
Good Knowledge

I have a good knowledge of how electronics work, and usually have no problems setting stuff up (especially when it comes to wiring.). I understand the idea behind calibration, but given that every room is different and i've only set up my gear and a few friends, I don't really know where to being. (short of auto calibration which all the systems I've set up have had.)

A

angstadt530

Audioholic
I voted "Good Knowledge" because I can set everything up in a breeze, but when it comes to calibrating speaker settings, I still feel more comfortable running the auto setup to double check everything.

T

TheBobGoat

Audiophyte
I put good knowledge down there.

I dont go crazy with setting up my system. I have used DVDE but I deviated from what their calibration said to my own.

I just go off of what sounds and looks better to me rather than what the disc says.

R

rusty1285

Enthusiast
I feel fairly confident in my knowledge of setting up A/V equipment. I voted "Good Knowledge". Before any purchase and install of new equipment, I always research installation procedures and read up on manuals. Friends and family always call on me to help with setup of new equipment. As with most hobbies in my opinion, there is always room to learn new aspects to your hobby.

A

AVJedi

Audioholic Intern
I selected good knowledge. I can set everything up, sometimes only after referring to the manual due to their vendor specific terminology :rolleyes: , and try to tweak everything to make it look and sound as good as possible for the area I'm working in. Usually using my SPL meter and calibration disks, I can make the entertainment areas enjoyable for most. I enjoy the tweaks, tinkering, and helping/educating others whom may not know as much (alway point them to Audioholics!) It's a great hobby (read: lifestyle :) ) and I've a great way to enjoy spending time together with family and friends. Whether it be enjoying the music and movies, or having my little ones get a kick out of helping Daddy "fix" his "movie stuff."

G

gsuen

Enthusiast
Explanation for Good Knowledge

Since I have just swapped out my pre-pro and have installed a front projection system, I think I have good knowledge. Time constraints and bachelordom keep me from getting things perfectly clean, but the connections and the setup are basically correct. Next step, update old Panasonic LCD to new one.

Should I wait for 1080p to get reasonable or just buy a nice 720p?

F

frankv

Audiophyte
Good Knowledge

I chose 'Good Knowledge' but could have gone 'Expert'. The definitions were a little vague.

D

Dizastical

Audioholic Intern
I selected expert based on th efact that I have all my own calibration tools ans setup software. I have also built my theater room from the ground up in my basement. I also help local hifi buffs setup there systems.

Dave

D

dpristin

Enthusiast
I picked the "Good Knowledge". I've moved a lot in the recent years, upgraded my audio few times, so I had to re-calibrate everything quite a lot.

L

La-Z-CADtech

Audiophyte
Hey all,

I chose basic knowledge because up until two or three weeks ago i didn't really know that much about audio. Sure I've set up some of the cheapie 300 - 400 dollar HTiB but thats about as complex as I had ever wanted to get because I was far more interested in large screens and getting the best picture. Well all that changed when i happened across this site, now I know more than I care to but i just cant stop myself from reading and getting excited about speakers, recievers, amps, and even speaker wire. Albeit, it's torture all the same, since no matter how much i tell myself I can afford this or that the truth is i really can't. , but that probably won't stop me. :D

Have a good one,

Brian

P

ptalar

Junior Audioholic
I posted good knowledge because I can do all HT installations except I am no good at calibrating the video and audio. Despite reading all the articles in this website I could use some hands on training from a pro. I have no way of checking if what I did is ok other than using my ears or eyes. I could use a second opinion. What I don't know if expert calibration could make the video and/or audio sound even better. In addition, an expert would know if things can be improved by acoustical treatments. Again, an area where I need a pro to teach me.

I have used the AVIA disk but it is too fast for me. I need something very slow and very basic that is tailored to my system. That is another problem. They use a lot of generalities in the set up disks, but to know which knob or button to turn, or which program to go into, requires expert understanding of my system.

Phil

L

luckaz

Audiophyte
I am just starting my home theater and have been reading a lot so I guess I am a novice.

J

JasonH

Audiophyte
I picked expert with the options given, because I do setup with an SPL meter and help from the Avia disk. I know I'm more accurate than my recievers auto setup. But by no means could I make a living with what I know.

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
Good but no expert. Even if I was an expert I don't think I could say that I was unless I was a professinal installer. (and some of them shouldn't):rolleyes:

SBF1

H

Hutzal

Audioholic Intern
All my knowledge at the moment is all from research and no hands on. I would think I could set up a system with no problems, but we'll see after I get my system in!

-Hutz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis