Couple questions about Yamaha RX-A3060

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
It never crossed my mind about judging.. I just didn't want to sound too negative about kuwait.. and you don't have to apologize.. it might be healthy to eat junk food every once in awhile.. at least to ones appetite:)

What you should apologize for is smoking.. I can't even think to start quitting
I blame the English for the tobacco thing :) I smoked for years myself, but thought I'd be nicer to myself and those around me. I can walk away from it easily enough but still enjoy an occasional smoke (if ya gotta smoke don't buy the crap smokes like the big american brands, roll your own with decent tobacco/papers). I do have a weakness for a double double animal style at In-N-Out Burgers once in a while....

Hasan Alnajdi

Hasan Alnajdi

Full Audioholic
I blame the English for the tobacco thing :) I smoked for years myself, but thought I'd be nicer to myself and those around me. I can walk away from it easily enough but still enjoy an occasional smoke (if ya gotta smoke don't buy the crap smokes like the big american brands, roll your own with decent tobacco/papers). I do have a weakness for a double double animal style at In-N-Out Burgers once in a while....
I actually started smoking in england at the age of 16.. I remember it was marlboro medium.. something about its smell I couldn't overlook.. that might sound weird but I love the smell of a cigarette second hand.. now I smoke davidoff one I believe it's the cleanest in the country.. don't think am going to roll my own though.. just hope I can quit before it's too late :)

Hasan Alnajdi

Hasan Alnajdi

Full Audioholic
Hey guys.. I found a store that will bring Paradigm and Definite Technology speakers.. they don't have anything instore yet but I want your opinions comparing them to b&w or jbl.. what do you think is better?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Good solid brands in general. Definitive Tech tends to be a bit imaginitive with their sub specs (and perhaps lower frequency response specs generally). Still depends on the particular models more than the overall brand....

Hasan Alnajdi

Hasan Alnajdi

Full Audioholic
Good solid brands in general. Definitive Tech tends to be a bit imaginitive with their sub specs (and perhaps lower frequency response specs generally). Still depends on the particular models more than the overall brand....
Thanks.. I'll keep checking around to see when they'll bring something

Hasan Alnajdi

Hasan Alnajdi

Full Audioholic
Hey guys.. I've been thinking about the speakers settings for 11.2.. is it too much if I replaced the bookshelf speakers with floor standing ones or does it make a real difference?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
With good subwoofage it makes little difference generally IMO. May depend somewhat on size of your room or perhaps on how you use L/R speakers outside of multi-ch sources, as many do like to use towers only for music only listening. That said, I did go to towers for L/R not long ago, and do find them more capable for 2-ch listening than my old bookshelves at high sound levels plus they're about 5dB more sensitive than my old bookshelves which doesn't hurt in that respect either....but don't do much of that (high sound levels) as I'm trying to be nicer to my ears in my old age.

Last edited:
William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Hey guys.. I've been thinking about the speakers settings for 11.2.. is it too much if I replaced the bookshelf speakers with floor standing ones or does it make a real difference?
I think I depends on who you ask, and room
size. Many guys will say bookshelf/subs is the way to go. For X amount of dollars, you can possibly get more refinement and maybe better quality components in a bookshelf vs tower. I'm a tower guy, and find that the extra/larger drivers in towers deliver better dynamics. It's all about moving airwaves and I just think their better that way, and as HD pointed out, they usually have higher sensitivity, making them easier to drive. IMO it's worth extending the budget even if it takes a little longer to get there. I'm only speaking in general of course and every situation is different.

Hasan Alnajdi

Hasan Alnajdi

Full Audioholic
With good subwoofage it makes little difference generally IMO. May depend somewhat on size of your room or perhaps on how you use L/R speakers outside of multi-ch sources, as many do like to use towers only for music only listening. That said, I did go to towers for L/R not long ago, and do find them more capable for 2-ch listening than my old bookshelves at high sound levels plus they're about 5dB more sensitive than my old bookshelves which doesn't hurt in that respect either....but don't do much of that (high sound levels) as I'm trying to be nicer to my ears in my old age.
I think I depends on who you ask, and room
size. Many guys will say bookshelf/subs is the way to go. For X amount of dollars, you can possibly get more refinement and maybe better quality components in a bookshelf vs tower. I'm a tower guy, and find that the extra/larger drivers in towers deliver better dynamics. It's all about moving airwaves and I just think their better that way, and as HD pointed out, they usually have higher sensitivity, making them easier to drive. IMO it's worth extending the budget even if it takes a little longer to get there. I'm only speaking in general of course and every situation is different.
I don't care much about music for most what I use the system is movies and tv shows.. I understand the specs are better (hence the question) .. but if I am to use towers I'll replace the surround left/right and rear surround left/right.. the presence front and back speakers will have to remain bookshelf for I don't have enough room for them.. moreover, I think the room will look crowded with 6 tower speakers don't you guys think?

Hasan Alnajdi

Hasan Alnajdi

Full Audioholic
On another topic .. I found an similar forum like this one but in Arabic.. most of the guys there are from KSA and reading their posts and topics they got me even more confused.. one interesting argument I would like to discuss with you is the claim that Pioneer Elight is better than Yamaha.. what do you guys think?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I don't have any experience with Pioneer, but have read mixed comments on them. Yamaha is a very solid brand for amps and avr's.

Hasan Alnajdi

Hasan Alnajdi

Full Audioholic
I don't have any experience with Pioneer, but have read mixed comments on them. Yamaha is a very solid brand for amps and avr's.
I was really surprised it's got a lot of reputation there.. but I don't know if I can trust those guys I haven't put them to the test yet .. I found out most of the info there is mere translation of other sites so there were very few experts I found (at least up to this moment).. I posted a thread there and gonna see where it will take me

Hasan Alnajdi

Hasan Alnajdi

Full Audioholic
Asset-1@4x.jpg

this is a rough sketch of my office/living room.. I would like your opinion about how the setup is .. specially about the sub on the corner, could I move it to a better place?

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Ok. I confess, I thought you were wondering about towers for front R/L. I did not skimp on my surrounds but I don't think towers are really necessary back there. I would still say towers up front are better for movies or music. Great speakers will sound great no matter what you prefer to use them for, and I don't buy the BS about using lesser speakers if the main purpose is theater only.
I have a pioneer in my bedroom system and it is a great unit. Mcacc works well and it sounds good. I'd have no problem recommending one. Some keep beating the drum about reliability of onkyo, and now say stay away from pioneer since onkyo bought them. Afaik they're still operating separately and don't share anything. And onkyo has gone above and beyond to fix units even after the warranty has expired. I just don't like that they dropped audyssey. That's why I won't buy another one. I also have a Yamaha in the house and it is solid and sounds good but doesn't have ypao so I can't address that, and I don't like the menu structure. Yamaha, pioneer, and marantz/denon will all be good investments.

Hasan Alnajdi

Hasan Alnajdi

Full Audioholic
Ok. I confess, I thought you were wondering about towers for front R/L. I did not skimp on my surrounds but I don't think towers are really necessary back there. I would still say towers up front are better for movies or music. Great speakers will sound great no matter what you prefer to use them for, and I don't buy the BS about using lesser speakers if the main purpose is theater only.
I have a pioneer in my bedroom system and it is a great unit. Mcacc works well and it sounds good. I'd have no problem recommending one. Some keep beating the drum about reliability of onkyo, and now say stay away from pioneer since onkyo bought them. Afaik they're still operating separately and don't share anything. And onkyo has gone above and beyond to fix units even after the warranty has expired. I just don't like that they dropped audyssey. That's why I won't buy another one. I also have a Yamaha in the house and it is solid and sounds good but doesn't have ypao so I can't address that, and I don't like the menu structure. Yamaha, pioneer, and marantz/denon will all be good investments.
Thank you my friend for your input .. I too agree Yamaha's menu is just awful.. it reminds me of an old nokia phone before there was EDGE internet. :)

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Any time! Hope there's something useful in my ramblings. Lol

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
That's good. Sometimes I feel like I have a bag of cats in my head. Lol

Hasan Alnajdi

Hasan Alnajdi

Full Audioholic
That's good. Sometimes I feel like I have a bag of cats in my head. Lol
trust me I know the feeling.. if I have a design task or something I am up to.. I stop eating and sleeping and pace around all day in a single place till I figure it out.. sometimes I creep the hell of my wife she thinks I am going crazy.. but everyone has his/her own process I guess :D

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I also thought you meant towers just for L/R. I think ideally if you did have towers L/R then identical towers all around if you could manage it seating/room wise would be great. Then you'd want an acoustical screen instead of a display, too.

Pioneer Elite line was pretty good stuff at one point but isn't what it was from what I can see; the Pioneer Elite plasma set was the best until Pioneer couldn't afford to market it any more then they sold the name to Sharp for lcd sets....the Elite avrs tend to be better than the base avr model lineup. I'd still not buy Pioneer or Onkyo at this time but if they incorporate Dirac into their avrs some day, could be interesting (Pioneer has a distribution agreement for Dirac).

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis