Couple questions about Yamaha RX-A3060

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Well I've heard many dissatisfied comments about the upfiring speakers particularly, not so much about substituting wall mounted speakers. I think well setup ceiling speakers with the placement parameters as ideally defined by Atmos/DTS:X would be something to aim at rather than compromises. I already have a fairly immersive setup so doing something like upfiring or different wall positions I don't think is worth the effort to accommodate Atmos/DTS:X speakers or content.....for now.
Same here. And @Pogre.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Also, I have vaulted ceilings so up firing wouldn't work at all. The slope of my ceiling starts right above my tv. I'm finding that it's actually pretty good for music, but reflecting sounds wouldn't work at all with my setup.

Hasan Alnajdi

Hasan Alnajdi

Full Audioholic
Well I've heard many dissatisfied comments about the upfiring speakers particularly, not so much about substituting wall mounted speakers. I think well setup ceiling speakers with the placement parameters as ideally defined by Atmos/DTS:X would be something to aim at rather than compromises. I already have a fairly immersive setup so doing something like upfiring or different wall positions I don't think is worth the effort to accommodate Atmos/DTS:X speakers or content.....for now.
Thank you for correcting my info :)

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I don't think anyone is saying you're wrong, hasan. Just differing opinions.

Hasan Alnajdi

Hasan Alnajdi

Full Audioholic
I don't think anyone is saying you're wrong, hasan. Just differing opinions.
Well, either way I don't like making holes in my ceiling just for speakers.. I rather hang them and be flexible if I'm to change my furniture layout

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Thank you for correcting my info :)
Not correcting, just explaining my reasons. In order to deal with my ceiling what with wiring and mounts (whether or not in-ceiling vs ceiling mounts), just not something I want to do in my living room where my main gear is. I may eventually convert a room downstairs into a media/theater room, that's where something like Atmos would start to be interesting....

As to your comment about DTS:X not being particularly based on ceiling speakers, will have to check that out as that's not been my impression but I really haven't dived into the subject since I'm not doing any implementing at this time. I know just enough to be dangerous :)

Hasan Alnajdi

Hasan Alnajdi

Full Audioholic
Not correcting, just explaining my reasons. In order to deal with my ceiling what with wiring and mounts (whether or not in-ceiling vs ceiling mounts), just not something I want to do in my living room where my main gear is. I may eventually convert a room downstairs into a media/theater room, that's where something like Atmos would start to be interesting....

As to your comment about DTS:X not being particularly based on ceiling speakers, will have to check that out as that's not been my impression but I really haven't dived into the subject since I'm not doing any implementing at this time. I know just enough to be dangerous :)
Dangerous you are indeed :)

Hasan Alnajdi

Hasan Alnajdi

Full Audioholic
Hey guys.. yesterday I tried DTS:X movie (jason bourne) and it wasn't what I expected.. It wasn't too loud and more subtle than movies with dolby atmos.. maybe the makers of the movie wanted it this way but I have to hear another movie to compare.. have any of you compared both DTS:X and atmos?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I don't have a system incorporating the necessary speakers myself and don't believe William or Pogre do either...

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I don't have a system incorporating the necessary speakers myself and don't believe William or Pogre do either...
Unfortunately you are correct sir. I am however working on an atmos implementation in my LR. We'll see how that goes. Until then I live vicariously.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I get your point.. I apologize:)
No apologies needed, just pointing out how hard it can be to listen to such a setup. I'm just mostly not willing to go much out of my way to hear one, as it would be quite a long drive to even the nearest movie theater fitted with Atmos, or to the nearest dealer showroom with such a setup (like a 5 hour round trip at minimum for either). Maybe a friendly forum member lives closer with a nicer setup but I'm not aware of such....

Hasan Alnajdi

Hasan Alnajdi

Full Audioholic
No apologies needed, just pointing out how hard it can be to listen to such a setup. I'm just mostly not willing to go much out of my way to hear one, as it would be quite a long drive to even the nearest movie theater fitted with Atmos, or to the nearest dealer showroom with such a setup (like a 5 hour round trip at minimum for either). Maybe a friendly forum member lives closer with a nicer setup but I'm not aware of such....
I understand what you're saying.. I'm just disappointed dts:x didn't live up to my expectations (yet, it's still too soon to judge) I'll find another movie to test there must be something out there and I will let you know what I think.. thanks alot my friend:)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I understand what you're saying.. I'm just disappointed dts:x didn't live up to my expectations (yet, it's still too soon to judge) I'll find another movie to test there must be something out there and I will let you know what I think.. thanks alot my friend:)
Keep trying different titles, too, mixes vary. Maybe search for threads on the subject of what the best demo movies/scenes are....

Hasan Alnajdi

Hasan Alnajdi

Full Audioholic
Keep trying different titles, too, mixes vary. Maybe search for threads on the subject of what the best demo movies/scenes are....
I'm already searching for some action movie.. the last witch hunter sounds tempting to try

Hasan Alnajdi

Hasan Alnajdi

Full Audioholic
Hey guys.. again, DTS:X disappointes.. big time! I find atmos way out of its league.. there just no comparison.. think its my equipments or the tech it self?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I forget, what is your speaker configuration now with the latest changes? Got a new pic/diagram?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis