Couple questions about Yamaha RX-A3060

Hasan Alnajdi

Hasan Alnajdi

Full Audioholic
Any time. William and HD do a much better job explaining stuff. I don't like trying to explain things in detail unless I'm sure I know what I'm talking about.
You're answer is what I was looking for actually.. but it never hurts to get more details on the subject :)

Hasan Alnajdi

Hasan Alnajdi

Full Audioholic
Btw.. what is range in Hz for a decent sub? Starting at 20 Hz?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Btw.. what is range in Hz for a decent sub? Starting at 20 Hz?
20hz and lower will get you into what I think you'd want for movies. 20hz is at the edge of human hearing. anything below that you feel more than hear. I think a good sub would be one that's +/- 3db from about 20 - 200hz or so.

Hasan Alnajdi

Hasan Alnajdi

Full Audioholic
20hz and lower will get you into what I think you'd want for movies. 20hz is at the edge of human hearing. anything below that you feel more than hear. I think a good sub would be one that's +/- 3db from about 20 - 200hz or so.
Got it

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yes. In this case it would have. In this case the sub is designed to play flat (anechoic) to 35(can't see the post). The -3db decibel point is where the roll off slope is at -3db and the subwoofer loses meaningful output below. Generically speaking, ported subs roll off at a rate of 24 db per octave(of descending frequency). That protects the driver from unloading and bottoming out below the tuning point, among other things. Fwiw sealed roll off at 24 db per octave.

In this picture follow to the left, and as the frequency drops, you can see the output does too. There is a calculable slope that it follows to the point of no useable output from the -3 point and below. Now I must make some coffee as to be able to put my words in better order...
Did you mean sealed subs typically roll off at 12dB/octave? ;)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
This below specs is for my subs
Total Frequency Response: 32Hz-225Hz
Lower -3dB Limit: 34 Hz

When they say lower -3db limit : 34 hz.. do they mean the sub can go as deep as 34 hz within -3db or something else? Or maybe they mean +-3db?
I'm merely trying to figure out what are the most important specs to consider when it comes to choosing a sub.. just like impedance and sensitivity for speakers
I'd still like to know if Polk's measurements are in-room or anechoic :) Got a link to their specs?

While they're still speakers and impedance and sensitivity are part of the equation, most subs you'll find are going to already be matched to an amplifier suitable of driving them. The watts they advertise, though, become somewhat meaningless since you likely won't get the impedance/sensitivity information from the manufacturer. 4 ohm is a good bet on a sub driver but not necessarily; sensitivity is rarely shared.

Most important is, really how they sound, specs may help you determine some aspects of how to use them; sub frequencies are harder to distinguish by ear vs normal speakers, tho. I want subs that at least can handle 20Hz at reasonable output and distortion levels (if it doesn't dig to at least 20 it's not much of a "sub" in the first place IMO).

Hasan Alnajdi

Hasan Alnajdi

Full Audioholic
sorry guys it's been a busy day today.. I'll try to read your posts and catch up tomorrow
Pretty thank for keeping up with me .. really appreciate it :)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Forum time in your thread is whatever you want it to be....that's what alerts are for.

Hasan Alnajdi

Hasan Alnajdi

Full Audioholic
I'd still like to know if Polk's measurements are in-room or anechoic :) Got a link to their specs?

While they're still speakers and impedance and sensitivity are part of the equation, most subs you'll find are going to already be matched to an amplifier suitable of driving them. The watts they advertise, though, become somewhat meaningless since you likely won't get the impedance/sensitivity information from the manufacturer. 4 ohm is a good bet on a sub driver but not necessarily; sensitivity is rarely shared.

Most important is, really how they sound, specs may help you determine some aspects of how to use them; sub frequencies are harder to distinguish by ear vs normal speakers, tho. I want subs that at least can handle 20Hz at reasonable output and distortion levels (if it doesn't dig to at least 20 it's not much of a "sub" in the first place IMO).
This is the link for my subs https://www.polkhome.com.au/collections/subwoofers/products/psw-125-150w-12-subwoofer
You can find it specs there... but I gotta say the effects they produce on the building is really high.. when I play atmos files the vibes go through the ground floor (no body complained though).. Now I'm thinking I'll buy a better set for my new home cos adding stronger subs will defenately rise neighbors issues

Hasan Alnajdi

Hasan Alnajdi

Full Audioholic
They sure look like good reads.. unfortunately I've been feeling under the weather the last few days (i kinda still am) I'll give them a shot once I fully recover.. thanks alot

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
This is the link for my subs https://www.polkhome.com.au/collections/subwoofers/products/psw-125-150w-12-subwoofer
You can find it specs there... but I gotta say the effects they produce on the building is really high.. when I play atmos files the vibes go through the ground floor (no body complained though).. Now I'm thinking I'll buy a better set for my new home cos adding stronger subs will defenately rise neighbors issues
They don't offer a lot on the measurements. I'd suspect if the 34 is -3dB perhaps they're -6dB at 32 but who knows....and hopefully not a vague in-room spec either (here is a definition of measurements made in various "spaces").

Subs and apartment buildings can be tough, what with such close proximity of neighbors and the tendency of bass frequencies to pass through walls/floors/ceilings fairly easily. I haven't had both a sub and an apartment at the same time, but did live in apartments long enough before I knew about subs that walls are thin all too often for loud music; even some houses this can be an issue (like in San Francisco where houses are very often inches apart on the sides). Always a good thing to be considerate of your neighbors....

Hope you feel better soon!

Hasan Alnajdi

Hasan Alnajdi

Full Audioholic
They don't offer a lot on the measurements. I'd suspect if the 34 is -3dB perhaps they're -6dB at 32 but who knows....and hopefully not a vague in-room spec either (here is a definition of measurements made in various "spaces").

Subs and apartment buildings can be tough, what with such close proximity of neighbors and the tendency of bass frequencies to pass through walls/floors/ceilings fairly easily. I haven't had both a sub and an apartment at the same time, but did live in apartments long enough before I knew about subs that walls are thin all too often for loud music; even some houses this can be an issue (like in San Francisco where houses are very often inches apart on the sides). Always a good thing to be considerate of your neighbors....

Hope you feel better soon!

Thanks .. I too hope to get better soon for its been a week and I haven't been to work yet..
I briefly read the two links you posted earlier I find them really educational.. specially part II about subwoofers.. but I don't know if it is the flu or I just lost interest for I can't read about two minutes before yawning.. hope to get back in the game soon for it's a real shame if I quit now..

thanks again

Hasan Alnajdi

Hasan Alnajdi

Full Audioholic
Thought of you watching this the other night, hopefully you have avoided this trend....http://248am.com/mark/food/fast-food-of-arabia-vice-on-hbo/

Sending healing thoughts your way....
Oh you have no idea how bad it is.. if you want a successful business in Kuwait you better open a restaurant... people here are obsessed with food (i used to be one of them). But since I discovered I have diabetes (which kinda a trade mark of kuwaiti citizens, that and high blood pressure) I drastacly changed my eating habits.. I weight 20 kg less since November last year and I'm aiming to lose more in the coming months.. but younger generation are more aware.. gyms and body building became the next best thing for them.. that or doing surgeries and cut their stomachs.. either way food is a great matter here..

Late of this month will start the holy month of Ramadan.. one would think restaurants will take a break... but in this particular month their business thrives.. people compencate fasting all day by eating all night.. you really wont believe how much food is thrown into garbage cos their eyes are too big for thier stomachs... it kinda makes me sick.. i think I've said enough for tonight.. I'll try to catch your healing thoughts instead :)

Hasan Alnajdi

Hasan Alnajdi

Full Audioholic
Hey guys.. there's something I would like to say.. sometimes I talk negatively about some issues in my country and I am afraid I might gave you the wrong impression.. Kuwait is an amazing country not because it's my own but for its history and its people.. it wasn't established on conflict and war but on mere understanding and respect.. people choose al Sabah family to rule and every kuwaiti just love late ruler Abdullah Al Salem for he gave us our constitution and democracy.. is there corruption? Yes definitely.. way more than it should.. but most people remain holding the same values we did back then.. when a true crisis comes (like iraq invasion) you can tell people for who they really are and alot have stayed.. we are very sentimental people we appreciate whatever good in the world and help whenever we can.. of course that doesn't mean there aren't bad apples here trying to divide our society with religious and social conflicts.. but the majority are very aware even though some went astray.. I dont believe personally you'll find a safer place on earth to live on like Kuwait..

Forgive me for taking long words but it's something I feel worth saying

:)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
FWIW I wasn't judging but appreciate all information I can get! We have enough issues of our own here in any case. Sorry we sent our crappy fast food your way, there's just no excuse for that ;)

Hasan Alnajdi

Hasan Alnajdi

Full Audioholic
FWIW I wasn't judging but appreciate all information I can get! We have enough issues of our own here in any case. Sorry we sent our crappy fast food your way, there's just no excuse for that ;)
It never crossed my mind about judging.. I just didn't want to sound too negative about kuwait.. and you don't have to apologize.. it might be healthy to eat junk food every once in awhile.. at least to ones appetite:)

What you should apologize for is smoking.. I can't even think to start quitting

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis