Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Jun Shibata. I won't claim her's is the best voice, but I like a number of her songs.

I went to Japan in 2003 and, while there, watched a total of one hour of TV. I got back to my room after dinner (at which we drank a decent amount) one night, flipped on the tube, and found what I think was their version of MTV. I didn't understand any word except "yes", but they were interviewing a cute woman, so I left it on. Then, they should one of her videos. Stunning. Just beautiful music. Somehow I managed to remember her name. It took me several months to find a way to buy her music, but I finally found a place online. Now, several places carry her.

J

jbost002

Audioholic Intern
Has to be either Allison Krauss or Amy Lee of Evanescence (I know, I know - crappy band but she sings GREAT!)

Also the lead singer of Plumb is amazing. And the girl who sings for Caedmon's Call

F

Fred333

Junior Audioholic
I like the women from dream girls. Beyonce and the woman from idol can really sing.

mr-ben

mr-ben

Audioholic
I like the women from dream girls. Beyonce and the woman from idol can really sing.
Give Amy Winehouse a try - she has a very brassy voice in my opinion - different.

I don't listen to it much, but the best female vocal recording I have is probably The Well from Jennifer Warnes. I think she tops Patricia Barber, who I have several albums from. I think that the best sounding female vocals may be more dependent on the recording equipment and people than the singer herself in a lot of cases.

J

Joe Schmoe

Audioholic Ninja
I forget her name, but the band Venus Hum has an awesome singer. Possibly the best I have ever heard, in fact.

dorokusai

dorokusai

Full Audioholic
Christina Aguilera has some pipes but Diana Krall would make me kick my dog.

Mark
Polk Audio CS

W

WayneC

Enthusiast
My favorites , in no particular order.....

Sade
Sarah McLachlan
Fiona Apple
Shirley Manson
Aimee Mann
Alanis Morissette
Norah Jones

singers I'm not a fan of, but have to respect the talent...

Christina Aguilera
Mariah Carey

O

oldguy

Audiophyte
I remember going out with my frat brothers, having many beers, then finishing with shots of scotch, then back to the frat house. The lights were off and we would listen to the dreamy sounds of Julie London. I don't know if it was just the buzz from the alcohol or the beautiful, sexy voice of Julie London. She has to be one of my favorites even after all the years.

davidtwotrees

davidtwotrees

Audioholic General
Hey, Old Guy! I just went to Amazon.com and listened to a few snippets from Julie London's greatest hits. Man, you ain't lying, the chick had a set of pipes on her! They mentioned her as a classic voice from the cocktail era. I wonder just when you were in the frat house? RIP J. London, 1926-2000.

I might just buy some of her music. Thanks for the heads up.

O

oldguy

Audiophyte
Was in the Sig Ep house at Ball State 60-64. In those days you didn't drink in the house, but there were a few watering holes in town.

I've never heard anyone since quite like Julie London. Here's how Wikipedia described her:

"Songs such as "Go Slow" epitomized her career style: her voice is slow, smoky, and sensual. The lyrics strongly suggest sex but never explicitly define it:

Go slow, oooooh honey, take it easy on the curves;
When love is slow, oooooh honey, what a tonic for my nerves.
Go slow, oooooh honey, we've got such a lot of time;
When love is slow, oooooh honey, how the mercury does climb.

Her whispered "you make me feel so good" at the end is breathy and suggests a sexually satisfied partner, serving as later inspiration for Frank Sinatra's lyrically similar song. Aside from her music, the notably suggestive portrait photos used on her album covers made lasting impressions even on the tone deaf."

Now if that didn't get your hormones moving, you were already dead.

davidtwotrees

davidtwotrees

Audioholic General
I came of age in the seventies and must say that it was the end of the age of innocence. Music became much more suggestive and everyone kept raising the bar. In the nineties a lot of music went from very suggestive to just plain graphic.
So, I actually think Julie London was the perfect blend of suggestion and that grey area left to your imagination.......

H

Hawkeye

Full Audioholic
I came of age in the seventies and must say that it was the end of the age of innocence. Music became much more suggestive and everyone kept raising the bar. In the nineties a lot of music went from very suggestive to just plain graphic.
So, I actually think Julie London was the perfect blend of suggestion and that grey area left to your imagination.......
Agreed. Well put.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis