pcefrog

pcefrog

Junior Audioholic
fave females

BJORK........probably my fave right now...so original and creative..and good voice
Janis Joplin
Kate Bush
Ella Fitzgerald
Billie Holiday
Aretha Franklin
Nina Simone
Etta James
kd Lang
Sade'
Sandy Denny

some newer artists.......

Beth Gibbons - Portishead
Amy Winehouse
Bic Runga
Chan Marshall - Cat Power
Erika Badyu
Feist
Joanna Newsome
Regina Spektor
Katie Melua
Macy Gray

Last edited by a moderator:
D

DrSageHall

Audiophyte
Greatest Female and Male Voices of All Time

Greatest Female Voices of All Time

1. Barbra Streisand (the only human being to have won an Oscar, Grammy, Emmy, Tony, and Obie)
2. Celine Dion (Titanic hits with nine-digit monetary values, enough said)
3. Mariah Carey (her number-one hits are more enduring and her vocal acrobatics more goosehair-raising)
4. Whitney Houston (top-grossing diva but only for a brief golden period before drug addiction)
5. Diana Ross (first black diva to break through the glass barrier)
6. Gladys Knight
7. Lani Misalucha (Diva’s Diva can outperform #1 to #6)
8. Aretha Franklin (the Queen of Soul has already been inducted into the Hall of Fame)
9. Christina Aguilera (she’s already acknowledged as being several cuts above her contemporaries, i.e. Britney Spears, and even Alicia Keys and Kelly Clarkson)
10. Beyonce Knowles (younger diva has amazing versatility)

Greatest Male Voices of All Time

1. Frank Sinatra (strong golden voice and Old World charm of the classic macho man)
2. Sammy Davis Jr (artistic versatility that ranges from A-to-Z)
3. Bono (embodies the endurance of U2 and the charity worthy of a Nobel Peace Prize)
4. Andrea Boccelli (he made high-brow opera more accessible to the unsophisticated)
5. Stevie Wonder (prolific genius as a singer and as a songwriter)
6. Peabo Bryson (smooth, suave, elegant voice equivalent to a host of angels)
7. James Ingram (rough hefty voice that men may kill for)
8. Phil Collins (unpolished diamond voice and mushy love-songs fit for the masses)
9. Michael Jackson (King of Pop actually has a vocal range from a diabolic guttural to a cherub’s lilt)
10. Josh Groban (his refined, cultured ways make him the legitimate successor to Luciano Pavarotti)

R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
DrSageHall, how could you forget Pavarotti himself on your list of greatest male singers?

Okay, now for the worst female voice. I vote for Britney Spears and Paris Hilton.

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
Was in the Sig Ep house at Ball State 60-64. In those days you didn't drink in the house, but there were a few watering holes in town.
I've never heard anyone since quite like Julie London.
If you remember the TV show 'Emergency' it was on in the early seventies. Two Firemen / EMT guys. Kent Mc Cord played one of them.
Well, Julie London played the head nurse Dixie McCall, she was in her late thirties at that time.
Just thought I'd throw that out there...:D

J

Joe Schmoe

Audioholic Ninja
I just love Enya.
Since you love her, you should try Celtic Woman. They are even better. They do a cover of Orinoco Flow that I prefer to the original. Three of their singers (Lisa, Meav, and Haley) practically make Enya sound like an amateur by comparison.

G

GTHill

Audioholic
Wow Joe, I was reading the first pages of this thread and my answer was...

Every member of Celtic Woman. I actually purchased my entire system because of them. And yes, I'm mostly serious.

Gene

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Pat benatar

Az B,
I would have to agree, Kate Bush has an amazing voice. Even though I'm not an uber-fan of hers, I am in awe of that voice.

In case you hadn't heard, she's breaking a 10 year absence and releasing a new cd sometime in 2005.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/arts/main.jhtml?xml=/arts/2004/12/23/bmkate23.xml&sSheet=/arts/2004/12/23/ixartleft.html
Opera singer turned rock. Also capable of many octaves herself.

My favourite all time female vocalist ..well there are 2, One is Aretha Franklin..and the other long dead is (played Dorothy on the original Wizard of Oz). Franklin fo her sheer power and control of that power and Dorothy becuase she just sounds soo good. Something about her voice just touches me.

J

Joe Schmoe

Audioholic Ninja
Opera singer turned rock. Also capable of many octaves herself.

My favourite all time female vocalist ..well there are 2, One is Aretha Franklin..and the other long dead is (played Dorothy on the original Wizard of Oz). Franklin fo her sheer power and control of that power and Dorothy becuase she just sounds soo good. Something about her voice just touches me.
Where the heck did you find the post you quoted?:confused: (It refers to 2005 in the future tense!:eek:)

C

chucker1414

Enthusiast
Beth Gibbons from Portishead hands down.

Neko Case

I definately agree with Karen Carpenter.

So many good choices.

P

pandabighead

Audiophyte
kate bush is amazing as are the 2 from abba and very suprised there are no mentions for mamma cass. good to c cyndi lauper get a mention early on.
pbh

S

sparky77

Full Audioholic
I have to agree with 99.9% of the women listed, but one of my favorites that I really havent even heard much of, but she has an incredibly sexy voice is Donna Lewis. Some of her songs are kinda strange, but I think she has a great voice.

G

Gasman

Senior Audioholic
LOL, just mentioned her in another thread.. But for 15 she has an amazing voice, very captivating.
Holly Stell.:)

G

Gerald

Audioholic Intern
Nancy Sinatra, Janis Joplin, Karen Carpenter, Carole King, Maria Callas, Charlotte Church (classic recordings), Patsy Cline....

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis