$2,000-3,000 Tower speaker comparison: Need help picking the contenders

Send Margaritas

Send Margaritas

Audioholic
I must be the only one here who likes Legacy(s). No mention, in 12 pages of posts.

Clapton's Layla (acoustic/'Unplugged') on Legacy Focus HD(s) still sticks in my mind. A little more in my second son's college fund, and they're mine.

Last edited:
M

mtrot

Senior Audioholic
I must be the only one here who likes Legacy(s). No mention, in 12 pages of posts.

Clapton's Layla (acoustic/'Unplugged') on Legacy Focus HD(s) still sticks in my mind. A little more in my second son's college fund, and they're mine.
Well, you must have missed my post #22 in this thread!:D

N

NewHTbuyer

Audioholic
I checked out the website selling the Legacy speakers and they don't offer a trial period...all sales are final. I was impressed with Legacy at RMAF, although I did listen to the Aeris, so a bit out of my price range.

Thanks for the suggestions.

N

NewHTbuyer

Audioholic
As far as the GTG, I am looking at either Jan 26 or 27 or Feb 9 or 10. I know a few guys were interested. Let's see if we can work out a date that works for all of us. You can post which days you are free or just PM me. Either is cool.

A

Azmaria707

Audiophyte
PM me if you need help with the GTG. I don't have very much audio technical knowledge; just enthusiasm. But I'd be glad to help with set up, moving speakers around or whatever I can help with.

N

NewHTbuyer

Audioholic
PM me if you need help with the GTG. I don't have very much audio technical knowledge; just enthusiasm. But I'd be glad to help with set up, moving speakers around or whatever I can help with.
Cool! I have never been to a GTG, so all the help I can get is appreciated.

BTW, I think I would prefer the weekend in February rather than January. That way I will have had some time with the speakers before the GTG. So, let me know if that works for you guys.

R

rded

Audioholic
I paid $1800 for my brand new Focal 826V, but not authorized dealer so it's like buying from AudiogoN, except they are really brand new.

I paid $1375 delivered for my Dynaudio X32, used excellent 9/10 condition on AudiogoN.
So which pair sounds better?

N

NewHTbuyer

Audioholic
Well, that was pretty easy. Seems like everyone wants the weekend in February. So, it will be either Feb 9 or 10.

Right now interested parties are:

NewHTbuyer(myself)
Snowmanick
Azmaria707
macddmac

Also, Bitterwaste from over at AVS is interested. He offered to possibly bring over his set of EmpTek towers, I think they are the E55Ti models.

Anyone else in the area interested?

I have not yet posted about the GTG over on my thread on AVS. Kinda worried that too many people might come out of the woodwork and I don't want this to get too overwhelming. If any of the interested parties have friends, of course they are welcome too.

This should be fun. I am cleaning up the basement (seems to fill up with junk faster than I can clean it). Then I plan to contact GIK acoustics and talk about some possible room treatments. I don't have any way to measure my room (my old laptop does not have a soundcard sufficient for REW).

As we get closer we can get a final head count, talk food, and discuss what tracks we want to demo.

N

Nuance AH

Audioholic General
I have not yet posted about the GTG over on my thread on AVS. Kinda worried that too many people might come out of the woodwork and I don't want this to get too overwhelming. .
That's probably a wise decision. :p

N

NewHTbuyer

Audioholic
I had a request from one of the possible attendees for Sunday the 10th, rather than on Saturday.

Any objections? Obviously, we do not have to set anything in stone right now.

N

NewHTbuyer

Audioholic
Well, I ordered the Von Schweikert VR-22s today. I called and left a message and Albert (owner/designer) called me back an hour or so later and we talked for awhile. A really cool guy. The speakers will take 2-3 weeks to be assembled, broken in a bit, tested and shipped. I choose the dark wood veneer for the endcaps and black cloth grill.

VR-22 : Von Schweikert Audio

On a sidenote, it is often debated in regards to wives and their semi-reluctance to embrace the expenses of this hobby, whether it is better to ask permission or forgiveness. I kinda used both, having already told her I was planning to get new speakers etc. But tonight I told her the actual price ($2,895) of the VR-22s, which are the most expensive of the options I am considering. It was not that bad really, but forgiveness has been obtained!

Also, there may be a couple more attendees from the Ascend Acoustics forum.

Does anyone object to Sunday the 10th?

So, now the VR-22s are on the way and the Phil2s and Ascend Towers will ship mid-January. Getting excited!

N

NewHTbuyer

Audioholic
Well, it is all coming together. I just placed the order for the Ultra Towers from SVS. Kinda feel crazy ordering four pairs of speakers. Anyway, the Ascend and Phil's should ship around Jan 18 and the SVS around Jan 18 according to their preorder info. Hopefully that date won't get pushed back. Gonna rock!

N

NewHTbuyer

Audioholic
Update:

So, the SVS Ultra towers arrived today, but I haven't seen them yet because I am still at work. I will post some pics this weekend and get them set up and running for some break in time.
The Phil 2s should be arriving tomorrow per the Fedex website.

Unfortunately, those will be the only 2 speakers for me to listen to. I had to cancel my Ascend order because they ran out of the Raal tweeters and the VR-22s were also going to be delayed for too long and would not have overlapped with the other pairs. I am at least happy that I can compare a set with the ribbon tweeter (the Phils) with a dome tweeter (SVS). Also, I guess it will save me some money as the VR-22s and Ascends w/ Raal were both just under $3,000 while the two I am getting are $2,000. I have some days off next week to really spend some time listening, so I will post more impressions then.

B

Big Gorilla

Audioholic Intern
I am looking at getting the svs ultra towers too so really interested in your feedback :D

L

LS35a

Audiophyte
I'm very interested as well. For me it's either a pair of Ascend Towers (with the NRT tweeter = $2k) or the SVS = $2k.

I'm thinking I like the form factor of the Ascend Towers a lot - 7.5" wide, just like my favorite speaker (figure it out). And I generally like soft dome tweeters more than metal tweeters. And it's 30 lbs lighter, which is a plus in my book.

Still, SVS is a fine company and the Ultra tower looks to be a LOT of speaker for the money.

So, very interested in your comments. And try the Ascends with the NRT tweeter!

monkish54

monkish54

Audioholic General
I'm very interested as well. For me it's either a pair of Ascend Towers (with the NRT tweeter = $2k) or the SVS = $2k.
From a design perspective I think the Ascend are better loudspeakers. (if you can, push for the tweet upgrade...)

And I generally like soft dome tweeters more than metal tweeters.
Why?

Soft dome tweeters (especially silk) tend to breakup earlier in frequency than metal.

It's a common misconception that metal sounds metallic and silk sounds silky (whatever that means...)

Soft domes tend to flex by nature (and design), much more, & quicker than metal but they are much more damped so it doesn't cause irritation (or huge FR peaks). If the designer knows what he is doing, IMO, a stiff dome (read metal) will be superior 99.9998% of the time as they don't flex very much at all which is great for detail (RAAL anyone??). I have seen VERY few metal tweeters that breakup within the audible band.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis