$2,000-3,000 Tower speaker comparison: Need help picking the contenders

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Dennis Murphy posted in my thread over at AVS and offered to build me a pair using the older style of cabinets, made in Asia, for 2k, which I guess is what they used to go for. He is going to ship them out to me in mid January and he seemed totally cool that I was planning to also buy some competitor's products for an in home comparison. He said he would let me demo them for awhile and would take them back if that is what I end up deciding to do, as long as I pay shipping both ways. Really cool guy. I read he donates some money to the local orchestra for each purchase. I am planning to send in a donation to match it, even if I end up not keeping the Phil 2s.
DenPureSound (RIP) would have been jealous. :D He really wanted to audition the Phil2. Unfortunately the 14 day trial was not available at the time.

D

Dennis Murphy

Audioholic General
DenPureSound (RIP) would have been jealous. :D He really wanted to audition the Phil2. Unfortunately the 14 day trial was not available at the time.
Well, I doubt that he asked. I've always been willing to work out trial privileges with anyone who was interested. So far, I haven't had to make good on any of them.

N

Nuance AH

Audioholic General
So I take it you work with Dennis? Cool!

As far as demoing a bunch of ID speakers, I figured it is worth it. Yes, once I ship some back the total cost of my new set of speakers will be increased due to the extra shipping costs, but this way I know I will be happy with my final decision. The cost of shipping is a fair price to get the speaker for 30-90 days, depending on which brand. Plus, SVS is offering free shipping both ways on the new Ultra speakers and Von Schweikert only charges for returns.
Have you thought about holding a little mini get together? That way some of your friends/local forum maniacs (like us) will get to hear a speaker they normally wouldn't be able to. They may even want to keep one or two of the speakers that you want to send back, thus eliminating the need for you to pay return shipping (they would simply pay you for the speakers). Just a thought.

Okay, so place your bets folks: Out of the Internet Direct speakers he mentioned, my money is on the Philharmonic 2's with the Ascend Sierra Towers being a close second (or maybe tied for first).

N

NewHTbuyer

Audioholic
Have you thought about holding a little mini get together? That way some of your friends/local forum maniacs (like us) will get to hear a speaker they normally wouldn't be able to. They may even want to keep one or two of the speakers that you want to send back, thus eliminating the need for you to pay return shipping (they would simply pay you for the speakers). Just a thought.

Okay, so place your bets folks: Out of the Internet Direct speakers he mentioned, my money is on the Philharmonic 2's with the Ascend Sierra Towers being a close second (or maybe tied for first).
You know, that is a great idea. Let me get clearance from the boss....er....wife, and then I will start a thread and see if people are interested. She would need to take the kids out of the house for most of the day, but that can probably be arranged.

S

SnowmaNick

Junior Audioholic
If you get the clearance, I'd be very interested in attending.

N

NewHTbuyer

Audioholic
If you get the clearance, I'd be very interested in attending.
Are you local here in Denver?

I wonder if Nuance suggested a GTG to have an excuse for another trip to Denver? :D. Our weather is better than Wisconsin.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord

Even if they don't buy, guys may feel generous and donate some money to help offset the cost of return shipping. I know I'd be grateful enough to do so if I were to attend.

Ditto. If we're talking about accuracy and not just the ability to play louder than the other guys, then Phils hands down.

D

Dennis Murphy

Audioholic General
Oh sure, lay down a blanket bet. No wonder you're willing to lay down a hundo :rolleyes:

:p;):D
I dunno. I think this may be getting a little out of hand. I think the original purpose of the exercise was to give the Denver Dude a chance to listen to speakers at length and at leisure in his own space, based on his own preferences. "Sound Off" GTT's are very difficult to pull off, and can lead to a lot of ill will. I certainly don't mind people coming over to listen to the various speakers and commenting on what they heard. But I don't want this to turn into a formal contest with "winners" and "losers."

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
I dunno. I think this may be getting a little out of hand. I think the original purpose of the exercise was to give the Denver Dude a chance to listen to speakers at length and at leisure in his own space, based on his own preferences. "Sound Off" GTT's are very difficult to pull off, and can lead to a lot of ill will. I certainly don't mind people coming over to listen to the various speakers and commenting on what they heard. But I don't want this to turn into a formal contest with "winners" and "losers."
Funny how most GTG's end up as such no matter what the original intent, or at least most you read about on these forums.

S

SnowmaNick

Junior Audioholic

I wonder if Nuance suggested a GTG to have an excuse for another trip to Denver? :D. Our weather is better than Wisconsin.

Closer to the Springs, but close enough. At least for the next couple of months. Then back to the left coast.

N

Nuance AH

Audioholic General

LOL! I was just there, so another trip is not in the cards for me, but I sure wouldn't mind having your weather up here. :)

Even if they don't buy, guys may feel generous and donate some money to help offset the cost of return shipping. I know I'd be grateful enough to do so if I were to attend.

Ditto. If we're talking about accuracy and not just the ability to play louder than the other guys, then Phils hands down.
Agreed, on both accounts. :) I love the idea of a little donation or something. It's well worth being able to hear a speaker you otherwise may never have the chance to.

Agreed, and I was just joking about betting on speakers and making it a winners and losers contest. I just thought it might be neat for a small number of friends, family and forum members to hear speakers they may not otherwise have the chance to. NewHTBuyer doesn't even need to post the GTG specifics publicly. One thing I've learned from having these types of GTG's is just have fun and consider not posting the results on the forums. :D Of course, we'd want to know which speakers he ultimately ends up with, but that's a given.

Anyway, it was just a thought, and I don't meant to step on NewHTBuyer's toes; this is his gig.

Funny how most GTG's end up as such no matter what the original intent, or at least most you read about on these forums.
Yup - I should know. :)

N

NewHTbuyer

Audioholic
LOL! I was just there, so another trip is not in the cards for me, but I sure wouldn't mind having your weather up here. :)

Agreed, on both accounts. :) I love the idea of a little donation or something. It's well worth being able to hear a speaker you otherwise may never have the chance to.

Agreed, and I was just joking about betting on speakers and making it a winners and losers contest. I just thought it might be neat for a small number of friends, family and forum members to hear speakers they may not otherwise have the chance to. NewHTBuyer doesn't even need to post the GTG specifics publicly. One thing I've learned from having these types of GTG's is just have fun and consider not posting the results on the forums. :D Of course, we'd want to know which speakers he ultimately ends up with, but that's a given.

Anyway, it was just a thought, and I don't meant to step on NewHTBuyer's toes; this is his gig.

Yup - I should know. :)
I agree that sometimes a casual GTG can turn into more of a contest. I would still really like to give local members the chance to hear the speakers I am planning on demoing, since I know it is hard to listen to the ID brands and the SVS will be brand new plus the VR-22s are also very new. Hopefully someone will be interested in purchasing one of the pairs that decide not to keep. Not only will I not need to pay for return shipping, but the companies don't have to worry about reselling a returned item. There can always be unintended issues, but hopefully people will be respectful.

A far as donations, I was planning on demoing these on my own, so I would feel uncomfortable asking for donations in order for people to listen. Maybe some chow and drinks if we have a potluck type of event, but that can be worked out later, if the GTG actually happens.

N

NewHTbuyer

Audioholic
We are tentatively good to go for a casual GTG. My wife seemed cool with the idea. We will have to sit down and look at some dates this weekend, but I am guessing either the last weekend in January or one of the first two weekends in February.

N

NewHTbuyer

Audioholic
No recent auditions due to the holiday, but I did place my order for the Ascend Sierra towers with Raal tweeter in satin Espresso. Much like Philharmonic Audio, they are totally cool with holding shipment until mid January.

So, now I have two ordered, the Ascend and the Phil 2s.

I will probably order the Von Schweikert speakers in a week or two and just have them delivered in December, since they have a 90 day trial period.

Still no official date on the new SVS Ultra line. I emailed them and it looks like a December release is most likely. If that keeps petting pushed back, I can either just limit my shootout to three speakers or maybe gets a pair of Kefs from a local store or maybe reconsider the Gallo speakers, since they have a 60 day trial period with free shipping.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis