DO NOT BUY anything from AV123

Status
Not open for further replies.
gonk

gonk

Full Audioholic
I'm sorry. Not here, but here.
Another post by Mark that caught my eye earlier today is here. The specific comment was this one:
Next year will bring about many changes for me personally that will allow me to take care of matters near and dear to my heart. I'll miss being involved in many things - even issues like this.
I was on AV123's forum over the last few years, and this is the exact same sort of thing being posted by Mark this time last year. There was a ton of chatter on AV123's forum in late 2008 about how bad 2008 had been and how 2009 was going to be the year that everything got back on track because of changes that were being implemented. For that matter, there were some similar comments in late 2007 about how they were going to be making some improvements in early 2008.

Z

Zaluss

Audioholic
Its really sad because their speakers are amazing. All I've really owned since I've started this hobby has been AV123 except for a few Paradigm and Polk pieces.

I love my X-Omni's but now I got an email from AV123 saying they couldn't source a replacement base and offered me a $20 credit :(. I talked to Kyle over the phone and he asked for a picture of the damaged threading to see what he could do.

droht

droht

Full Audioholic
What do you suppose will come first gonk, those oft-promised changes or mls finally revealing who the folks are who are working against him on various forums, and who they are working for?

C

Chu Gai

Audioholic Samurai
Another post by Mark that caught my eye earlier today is here. The specific comment was this one:
Next year will bring about many changes for me personally that will allow me to take care of matters near and dear to my heart. I'll miss being involved in many things - even issues like this.
I was on AV123's forum over the last few years, and this is the exact same sort of thing being posted by Mark this time last year. There was a ton of chatter on AV123's forum in late 2008 about how bad 2008 had been and how 2009 was going to be the year that everything got back on track because of changes that were being implemented. For that matter, there were some similar comments in late 2007 about how they were going to be making some improvements in early 2008.
I too saw that comment, gonk, and wasn't quite sure what to think of it. One thought I had was that what if someone was going to buy out 123 (maybe not all the debt) and MLS would be retained in more of a sales/marketing capacity but muzzled so he doesn't keep saying stupid stuff. OTOH, is it a swan song admission that he'll be leaving? Or perhaps it's as you say, just more of the same old stuff. But really, just what is near and dear to his heart? If history is any indicator, it's living substantially above his means - the Michael Schumacher and other snazzy watches, the pricey pens he's had to sell, the Mercedes SLK-350 with the AMG package (but not the electric memory seats) or the Porche Cayman S, the long trips away from Colorado attending matters only peripherally related to business, etc.

C

Chu Gai

Audioholic Samurai
I'll take that as your aknowledgement and will expect future compliance.
I'm just hoping that my wife and staff keep me abreast of matters. If I fail to meet your expectations, please call me at 1-800-DUMB-***. I'm off to pick up some business partners that flew in from India & China for some high-level talks regarding future product development. Try me on Monday. If I don't answer try the following Monday. Repeat as needed.

C

Chu Gai

Audioholic Samurai
Its really sad because their speakers are amazing. All I've really owned since I've started this hobby has been AV123 except for a few Paradigm and Polk pieces.

I love my X-Omni's but now I got an email from AV123 saying they couldn't source a replacement base and offered me a $20 credit :(. I talked to Kyle over the phone and he asked for a picture of the damaged threading to see what he could do.
If you can take a well lit picture of the bottom, that may be helpful. Did the speaker come with the threaded foot? A $20 credit commits you to buying something else from them.

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
Who has hurt AV123 is the company themselves. Their failed business practices speak for themselves and it is the reason they are in the mess that they are. No other ID company has a business model similar to them if you look at it.

Now if another company in the audio industry starts having major quality control problems with multiple products and not resolving customer orders or customer issues in a timely manner than that company should be held accountable for their business practices as well. Its nothing personal. Its just consumers looking out for each other. Atleast that is how I look at this whole situation.

A past example of questionable business practices in this case relating to trademark lawsuits with the word Monster and the people let their opinions known.

Last edited:
majorloser

majorloser

I'm just hoping that my wife and staff keep me abreast of matters. If I fail to meet your expectations, please call me at 1-800-DUMB-***. I'm off to pick up some business partners that flew in from India & China for some high-level talks regarding future product development. Try me on Monday. If I don't answer try the following Monday. Repeat as needed.
I guess I don't find the humor in these types of posts.

This thread has been allowed to remain open far longer than any other forum has permitted. For the most part, it has also allowed persons like yourself a place to continue posting on this subject without fear of reprisal from forum administrators or moderators.

Do not take our indifference to this subject as a form of consent or agreement with any of the statements made in this thread. And also do not take the lack of regular participation from staff members as any form of delegation of authority and carte blanche.

I would suggest that you review the site rules before making any further posts.
http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/faq.php

Thank you

S

stevo238

Banned
That's the kind of post you see when one doesn't know how to deal with humor and sarcasm that well. Then comes the unsubtle threat. It's good to be the King.

C

Chu Gai

Audioholic Samurai
MajorLoser, I just read Rule #1. I would like to categorically state that I was not disparaging you in any way whatsoever. You requested that it would be better if the post I'd made, which contained a quote from MLS, had been referenced as to its source by providing a link. I quite agree and have no problems whatsoever with you having added one. None at all. The comments that followed from me, I meant to be of a whimsical nature and I did not make them to poke fun at you or your request. Rather, they were meant to lightly parody the sorts of things that MLS says with great frequency. I believe there's a misunderstanding of my intentions but regardless, I offer my public apology to you. I have nothing negative to say about any of the moderators or people who run this forum nor will you find me saying it anywhere else. Rather, I am profoundly grateful for this thread and hope that it puts public pressure on MLS with regards to making good on the many commitments he has. It has also served I think to spotlight the many problems of a serious nature with respect to how AV123 deals with customers, past and present, including the very real issues having to do with their inability to deliver a quality product with anything resembling consistency.
Again, ML, I extend my hand in friendship and I can assure you my other hand does not contain a weapon.

C

Chu Gai

Audioholic Samurai
A Heads Up on One of the Upcoming AV123 Specials

As many know, AV123 is running series of weekly specials. Given that the only recent announcement of incoming shipments have been from Colombia (MFW's) or China (Rickets), it seems to me that some of the specials are designed to clear out inventory that hasn't sold and/or has been problematical. With their forums having been closed for such a long time and now being repopulated with new people and old timers not coming back, they may not have the same knowledge of with respect to this sort of history. Such seems very much the case with respect to Week 6 - x-head headphone amp w/ FREE Headphones - Week of 12/14

I have serious reservations that the issues having to do with hum (boy is that a recurring theme with anything they've made) have ever been adequately resolved with this product. This issue, as well as some others, has been broached in an older thread over at Head-Fi. Stay away from this one.

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
Chu I believe the initial x-heads that shipped had a design flaw which caused the hum. There were many complaints about this such as discussed in the head-fi thread. If I remember correctly AV123 recalled the x-heads and modified their intial stock and called it v2.

Now the information on their website is a bit vague and poorly setup. Now are their intentions for this sale to get rid of old stock, version 1 x-heads (that have a hum) or are they v2. If they are selling version 2 of the x-head for this sale it should be properly labeled as such on the website. I have to giggle about the fact they do not tell you what type of headphones they are ( I wonder what they will be). They should inform consumers better about their products. It lacks attention to detail and professionlism.

Last edited:
C

Chu Gai

Audioholic Samurai
Chu I believe the initial x-heads that shipped had a design flaw which caused the hum. There were many complaints about this such as discussed in the head-fi thread. If I remember correctly AV123 recalled the x-heads and modified their intial stock and called it v2.

Now the information on their website is a bit vague and poorly setup. Now are their intentions for this sale to get rid of old stock version 1 x-heads that are laying around (that have a hum) or are they v2. If they are selling version 2 of the x-head for this ale it should be properly labeled as such on the website. I have to giggle about the fact they do not tell you what type of headphones they are ( I wonder what they will be). They should inform consumers better about their products. It lacks attention to detail and professionlism.
That I don't know MinusTheBear but I would be exceedingly wary with their labeling. For example, MLS has stated that the amp units have been tested according to FCC and CE guidelines and for a long time like you see on the back of MFW amps. However, former employees have informed me that having those designations was a result of having the vendor simply screen them on without the requisite testing.

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
From what I have read, the people that received v2 to replace their initial x-head v1 their reports say it did resolve the hum. The v1 or v2 designation of the x-head is very important here. Now what version they are selling and what the consumer gets, I have no idea because this information is not presented.

C

Chu Gai

Audioholic Samurai
Shall we rate it greater than or less than 50% according to the Caveat Emptor scale?

MinusTheBear

MinusTheBear

Audioholic Ninja
The lack of information presented about disclosing v1 or v2 of the headphone amp and not giving any specifics on the headphones should make anyone wary. If they are indeed packaging v2 of the x-head why not disclose this information now? I am really interested to see the headphones that are packaged with this sale.

C

Chu Gai

Audioholic Samurai
Ditto, but with respect to the amps, consider the following. When AV123 has had bad electronic products, people send them back not to be repaired but replaced. 123 to my knowledge doesn't repair them (in the case of the MFW amps it looks like they held on to the entire defective unit and just replaced the amp module) and doesn't send them back to China. They get new and improved replacements from overseas. Maybe their account is credited. Maybe it's not. Judging by some of the garage sales he's had and other comments regarding defective amps, it seems that AV123 stockpiles them in the warehouse or at chez Shifty where they can be resold at a later date. As to what's happening here with this special sale, I guess people will have to rely upon the integrity and MLS's word.

majorloser

majorloser

MajorLoser, I just read Rule #1. I would like to categorically state that I was not disparaging you in any way whatsoever. You requested that it would be better if the post I'd made, which contained a quote from MLS, had been referenced as to its source by providing a link. I quite agree and have no problems whatsoever with you having added one. None at all. The comments that followed from me, I meant to be of a whimsical nature and I did not make them to poke fun at you or your request. Rather, they were meant to lightly parody the sorts of things that MLS says with great frequency. I believe there's a misunderstanding of my intentions but regardless, I offer my public apology to you. I have nothing negative to say about any of the moderators or people who run this forum nor will you find me saying it anywhere else. Rather, I am profoundly grateful for this thread and hope that it puts public pressure on MLS with regards to making good on the many commitments he has. It has also served I think to spotlight the many problems of a serious nature with respect to how AV123 deals with customers, past and present, including the very real issues having to do with their inability to deliver a quality product with anything resembling consistency.
Again, ML, I extend my hand in friendship and I can assure you my other hand does not contain a weapon.
Thank you :)

My comment about Rule #1 applied to the post from Stevo238.

Status
Not open for further replies.
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis