Zack Snyder’s “Rebel Moon” movie franchise on Netflix

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
IMO, Rebel Moon might be one of Snyder’s worst. :D

But for some weird unexplained reasons, my wife loved this movie (and she hates Sci-Fi). :eek:
We watched it. I am curious about that extended version with all that stuff young people do. ;)
I don't analyze most movies, just comment when splices are inconsistent from before and after, what was on the actors or some such.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
IMO, Rebel Moon might be one of Snyder’s worst. :D

But for some weird unexplained reasons, my wife loved this movie (and she hates Sci-Fi). :eek:
Yep, same here. She could also pick out the movie scenes pulled from others, but she still liked it.

H

Hobbit

Senior Audioholic
Not to mention, it lifted scenes and scenarios literally right from at least 10 other films.
Not sure your point? (sarcasm). The majority movies out there do this now. Sci-Fi and Superhero movies are by far leading the pack.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Not sure your point? (sarcasm). The majority movies out there do this now. Sci-Fi and Superhero movies are by far leading the pack.
Like I mentioned in my earlier comment, it is one thing to reference and another to blatantly copy. John Wick 3 and 4 managed to take things from many different formats, film, anime, games, etc... but in a way where it feels familiar without feeling like a direct copy. This one felt as if they tried to do exactly the same thing as their reference so it becomes glaringly obvious. Sometimes you can excuse this in a low budget film like Boss Level, and it works. A direct reference like the use of an Akira shot in Nope; that was a well executed homage which didn't exactly have a relationship to the film and Akira fans would know it immediately also worked because it was the only intentional reference. If it were two or three or even four, I don't think it would be a problem, but it got excessive here. This film feels like a collection of Youtube highlights of other good films. It almost feels like Zack wasn't entirely responsible for it.

H

Hobbit

Senior Audioholic
Like I mentioned in my earlier comment, it is one thing to reference and another to blatantly copy. John Wick 3 and 4 managed to take things from many different formats, film, anime, games, etc... but in a way where it feels familiar without feeling like a direct copy. This one felt as if they tried to do exactly the same thing as their reference so it becomes glaringly obvious. Sometimes you can excuse this in a low budget film like Boss Level, and it works. A direct reference like the use of an Akira shot in Nope; that was a well executed homage which didn't exactly have a relationship to the film and Akira fans would know it immediately also worked because it was the only intentional reference. If it were two or three or even four, I don't think it would be a problem, but it got excessive here. This film feels like a collection of Youtube highlights of other good films. It almost feels like Zack wasn't entirely responsible for it.
First, I'll say I didn't think RM was a great movie, it was just entertaining. I agree with other comments made here about it. However, IMO the JWs went downhill after the first one. Never got to 4. Two and 3 felt repetitive and predictable to me. Ditto for the recent action hero movies (DC and Marvel) as well as the Star Wars spinoff series.

It's not that they're not entertaining. I watched Black Adam this past weekend and kept thinking I saw it before. Though I didn't. It did seem like a collection of scenes (youtube highlights:)) from other DC and Marvel movies. When I'd pause and ask my gf she would say, "no, what your thinking is from that OTHER move." It was still fun. By next fall I'll re-enlist with Disney again to get caught up on the SW spinoffs too.

I recently saw a Rick Rubens interview and loved this quote: The audience comes last. I'm not making it for them, I'm making it for me. It turns out that when you truly make something for yourself, you're doing the best thing you possibly can for the audience. To this end, yes I agree, the industry is probably pressuring Snyder to stick to a formula which they know will make a buck and not be a total flop. I wouldn't be surprised if some of this is partially due to the writer strike and trying to get something new out ASAP.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
First, I'll say I didn't think RM was a great movie, it was just entertaining. I agree with other comments made here about it. However, IMO the JWs went downhill after the first one. Never got to 4. Two and 3 felt repetitive and predictable to me. Ditto for the recent action hero movies (DC and Marvel) as well as the Star Wars spinoff series.

It's not that they're not entertaining. I watched Black Adam this past weekend and kept thinking I saw it before. Though I didn't. It did seem like a collection of scenes (youtube highlights:)) from other DC and Marvel movies. When I'd pause and ask my gf she would say, "no, what your thinking is from that OTHER move." It was still fun. By next fall I'll re-enlist with Disney again to get caught up on the SW spinoffs too.

I recently saw a Rick Rubens interview and loved this quote: The audience comes last. I'm not making it for them, I'm making it for me. It turns out that when you truly make something for yourself, you're doing the best thing you possibly can for the audience. To this end, yes I agree, the industry is probably pressuring Snyder to stick to a formula which they know will make a buck and not be a total flop. I wouldn't be surprised if some of this is partially due to the writer strike and trying to get something new out ASAP.
I didn't say the JW films are great, they are just popcorn flicks. 2 was horrible for the first 30 min or so, then improved. 3 was pretty good and I liked 4, but they are pretty much lather-rinse-repeat with new ways to kill people; and yeah, kind of the same movie. But between Rebel and JW, I'd watch JW. They are at least fun.

No doubt the writer's and SAG strike had an impact on Rebel Moon, but they had a decent cast, good effects, good sound, so the budget was there. It went wrong somewhere, possibly when it was rejected as a Star Wars film. They rushed to change names and places to distance it, but basically it still feels too familiar.

The industry is definitely just looking for their films to fit a formula to make money and they don't really care if people actually like the films. That sort of defeats the purpose. When making money is the first order of business, that's when the creativity suffers IMHO.

It ain't no trick to make a lot of money, if all you want is to make a lot of money. -Jack White

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
Just read that the R-rated version of Rebel Moon will drop this summer.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
I should have checked this post first. I tried to watch Rebel Moon, but couldn't stay interested in it. Stopped about 2/3 of the way through.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
Just read that the R-rated version of Rebel Moon will drop this summer.
Rated R for Regrettable or Rubbish, or Repugnant ....take your pick, I need to google synonmoms to add some more, you get the idea ;)

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I watched the 2nd release yesterday and quite liked it. I will be buying a hard copy of the entire set once it comes out.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I enjoyed these first two, slo mo and all. Then again I have a soft spot for Sofia Boutella, too.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
The first one was just ok, I made 19 minutes into the 2nd flick before finding something else to watch. I may give it another try later but with Dune 2 still fresh in my mind, my standards are pretty high atm.
If Dune 2 is as good as everyone says it is, I don't think much else would meet that standard either.

If you find something though, let us know.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Part 2 of Rebel Moon is Snyder's lowest scoring film of all time at 9%.

Interestingly it replaced his previous lowest film, Sucker Punch, which I actually liked.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Part 2 of Rebel Moon is Snyder's lowest scoring film of all time at 9%.

Interestingly it replaced his previous lowest film, Sucker Punch, which I actually liked.
Sucker Punch was interesting. I get what he was trying to do with it, but it just felt hollow. Zach's best movie IMHO is Dawn of the Dead. 300 was cool, but it was very over the top. Still a good movie. The first Superman was cool, but a lot of people didn't like that it wasn't in line with the comics or whatever.

I like Zach, but I feel like he could be way better than he is.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Sucker Punch was interesting. I get what he was trying to do with it, but it just felt hollow. Zach's best movie IMHO is Dawn of the Dead. 300 was cool, but it was very over the top. Still a good movie. The first Superman was cool, but a lot of people didn't like that it wasn't in line with the comics or whatever.

I like Zach, but I feel like he could be way better than he is.
Yeah. Stylistically, I enjoyed Sucker Punch, but it kind of got convoluted in the middle and then started to fizzle out toward the end. A lot of style and not enough delivery. He has a lot of great ideas if someone would reign him in.

Last edited:
mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Has anyone watched the short Making or Rebel Moon yet?
Watched a few minutes, will continue later, amazing what length they went to.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Has anyone watched the short Making or Rebel Moon yet?
Watched a few minutes, will continue later, amazing what length they went to.
Reminds me of "Oblivion" how far they went filming it.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
If you are going to go to great lengths, maybe start with a better script first.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis