Zack Snyder’s “Rebel Moon” movie franchise on Netflix

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Zack was good before, but his more recent offerings haven't been as good. This looks like Game of Thrones + Dune + Hunger Games rolled into one. Willing to give it a shot though.
I think he piqued too early. Dawn of the Dead was awesome and he's never really gotten anywhere near it for me.

I loved the first 300 movie, but his stuff went downhill quickly after that. His first Superman was decent enough, but I came away from it wanting more. I haven't seen the rest of his DC movies, so I can't speak on them.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I think he piqued too early. Dawn of the Dead was awesome and he's never really gotten anywhere near it for me.

I loved the first 300 movie, but his stuff went downhill quickly after that. His first Superman was decent enough, but I came away from it wanting more. I haven't seen the rest of his DC movies, so I can't speak on them.
For Snyder - Sucker Punch was excellent, I have no problem watching that multiple times. I enjoyed 300. Man of Steel, not so much. It wasn't terrible, it was just average. Batman Vs Superman - crap. Justice League - crap, I know the theatrical release was not really finished by him, but no interest in watching the 4hr version that is his. Army of the Dead wasn't bad, but again, not really something that kept my interest or that I'd watch again.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
For Snyder - Sucker Punch was excellent, I have no problem watching that multiple times. I enjoyed 300. Man of Steel, not so much. It wasn't terrible, it was just average. Batman Vs Superman - crap. Justice League - crap, I know the theatrical release was not really finished by him, but no interest in watching the 4hr version that is his. Army of the Dead wasn't bad, but again, not really something that kept my interest or that I'd watch again.
I may have to watch Sucker Punch again. I get what he was going for in that one, but it was a bit weird, even for me.

I'll have to add that to my list.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I like Snyder’s Watchmen, Sucker Punch, 300, 300 Rise of an Empire.

}Fear_Inoculum{

}Fear_Inoculum{

Senior Audioholic
I saw the prequels in the theater. I kept wondering why I kept going to see them.
Yeah, at the time they were not good. In retrospect, and in comparison to the sequels, IMO they don't seem that bad.

I've seen every SW movie in theaters during its initial theatrical release, except The Rise of Skywalker and Solo. After that garbage 2nd sequel (which I can't even remember the name of), I had no desire to see anymore SW in theaters. I've even avoided the majority of the TV shows as well (watched season 1 of The Mandolorian).

Too bad, because as a kid in the 70s/80s SW was my GOAT movie franchise.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah, at the time they were not good. In retrospect, and in comparison to the sequels, IMO they don't seem that bad.

I've seen every SW movie in theaters during its initial theatrical release, except The Rise of Skywalker and Solo. After that garbage 2nd sequel (which I can't even remember the name of), I had no desire to see anymore SW in theaters. I've even avoided the majority of the TV shows as well (watched season 1 of The Mandolorian).

Too bad, because as a kid in the 70s/80s SW was my GOAT movie franchise.
Mandalorian manages to continue to be good. The rest of the shows you can see after an episode or 2 that they're mostly not good and are more fan service and self serving than anything.

I liked Watchmen, I thought it was well done. I think it was still a bit overdone and even though I bought it on disc, I have yet to rewatch it. I liked the HBO series also.

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
Watchmen was excellent! The Directors cut 3 hour version is the way to watch it.

300 was absolute badass. Haven't watched 300 Rise of an Empire yet. Sucker punch was alright. I love his version of Superman. I consider it the best version. I'm sure I'll get hate messages from all the Reeve's fans. I was a big Super man Returns fan back in the early 2000's. Thought nothing could top that. But then Snyder delivers. Henry Cavil was born to play Superman.

I actually like Batman v Superman. Sure there are some issues and some choice casting decisions, but overall it's a fun DC action movie. Plus, add in the 4k directors cut edition, which is the best version, the picture and Atmos on it are top notch. Great popcorn flick!

The 4 hour cut of Justice league is actually pretty good. It's the best version of that movie. He did a great job making those edits and adding all that extra stuff we lost in the original cut.

Army of the dead was meh. Had some moments but overall was forgettable.

Now this new Rebel Moon just looks like a combination of multiple sci-fi franchises all meshed into one gigantic 6 hour movie. I'm sure with directors cut versions you'll get a full 8 hours! hahaha :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Watchmen was excellent!
I think Snyder's "Watchmen" is one of the best comic book movies.

300 was absolute badass. Haven't watched 300 Rise of an Empire yet.
I think "Rise of an Empire" is even better than "300". For one thing, the protagonist actually WON and didn't die in the end. :D Plus, you can't ask for a better antagonist than the beautiful and bad a$$ Eva Green! :D

Sucker punch was alright.
What's not to like about Sucker Punch - a bunch of beautiful babes kicking a$$? :D

I love his version of Superman. I consider it the best version.
You already know my complaint with Snyder's "Man of Steel" - how the hell can you just let your dad die - screw the freaking world. :D

I actually like Batman v Superman.
This one is difficult to pull off. A human vs Superman? Batman must be an idiot. Superman could be 2000 feet away from Batman and the Kryptonite and still kill Batman. And the "Martha" scene was a cheap trick. Overall, I think Man of Steel is still cool. I do like it much better than any old Superman movies because the old picture/sound quality sucks compared to Man of Steel. In my Superman movie collection, I only have Man of Steel - none of those old Superman movies. :D

The 4 hour cut of Justice league is actually pretty good. It's the best version of that movie. He did a great job making those edits and adding all that extra stuff we lost in the original cut.
I liked the Director's Cut as well.

Now this new Rebel Moon just looks like a combination of multiple sci-fi franchises all meshed into one gigantic 6 hour movie.
Well, since the new movies aren't out yet, there is still hope that they could be as cool and awesome as "Watchmen" and the "300" movies. I think positive! :D

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
whoa, whoa, whoa! back the truck up! I would keep George Lucas off the list. First half of his career was the bomb! second half was not as great, but I wouldn't call it a complete disaster. He's definitely not on a worst directors list.
You know, technically, ATDG said the word "directors." If you look at George's movies on IMDB as a director, there are only four movies with scores above 7. On the other hand, the movies he wrote scripts for and produced were much more numerous.
But, irregardless of how talented he or isn't, he is a pure genius next to Patty, whose most prominent achievement was being at the right place and at the right time (i.e. in George's shadow). This wasn't meant as misogynistic in any way. I got nothing vs. talented women. It's just Patty destroyed everything she had a hand in.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
In the beginning, Lucas probably had more control. Once Star Wars became a "corporation" he then has other people to listen to who are more concerned about profits and licensing than content.

Patty inherited something that was already in play.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
I am putting my theory to the test - that good writers can make anything good. So will see how my theory holds up. :D
If I am not mistaken The Witcher Blood Origins had some good writers.....hope is not a strategy :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
If I am not mistaken The Witcher Blood Origins had some good writers.....hope is not a strategy :D
Well, Alex Meenehan (Bosch) wrote 1 episode. :D

Of course, the director could easily screw it up also.

So I should say, good writer + director.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Well, Alex Meenehan (Bosch) wrote 1 episode. :D

Of course, the director could easily screw it up also.

So I should say, good writer + director.
This is why I like Mike Flannigan's stuff. He just does both jobs (for the most part) to make sure things are done the way he wants.

The results are excellent.

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
This is why I like Mike Flannigan's stuff. He just does both jobs (for the most part) to make sure things are done the way he wants.

The results are excellent.
Also comes down to how much creative control Directors get. Reason why some big time old school directors have gone to Netflix, Apple and possibly Amazon. Once these studios get too involved and start changing stuff, the movie is most likely going to tank. Not saying Netflix doesn’t produce garbage, because it most certainly does. Their #1 problem is they choose quantity over quality. If they don’t pump content, people will stop paying for it. Its why streaming costs are always going to go up every year. Disney is learning this the hard way. Which is something they needed big time. Now they are cutting back on big movies and slowing content for D+. Going for quality over quantity. And they’re now going to put Hulu and D+ together in one app. Not sure pricing, but I’m guessing it will be over $14.99/month.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Also comes down to how much creative control Directors get. Reason why some big time old school directors have gone to Netflix, Apple and possibly Amazon. Once these studios get too involved and start changing stuff, the movie is most likely going to tank. Not saying Netflix doesn’t produce garbage, because it most certainly does. Their #1 problem is they choose quantity over quality. If they don’t pump content, people will stop paying for it. Its why streaming costs are always going to go up every year. Disney is learning this the hard way. Which is something they needed big time. Now they are cutting back on big movies and slowing content for D+. Going for quality over quantity. And they’re now going to put Hulu and D+ together in one app. Not sure pricing, but I’m guessing it will be over $14.99/month.
With all the mergers and purchases of other studios, it makes sense to consolidate the streaming apps. Dumb to pay for both, when you could just pay for one. At least that's how it is with Discovery+ and Max. Max has almost everything Discovery+ does, so why does Discovery+ need to exist?

Hulu and Disney+ are a different situation. I remember what Hulu was back in it's prime. Between it and Netflix, you had plenty of awesome stuff to watch. Now everyone has to have their own original programming. Sometimes that's a great thing, sometimes it's a waste of time and effort.

As you said, focus on quality, not quantity. That's the winning formula. HBO showed us that for decades.

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
So, I read last week that Snyder already has a "Snyder-cut" of Rebel Moon. It's at least 1 hour longer (so in total about 5 hours, I think) and supposedly has some major changes. I get that Snyder has to make stuff that appeals to a large audience, but it would be nice if he just made the movie he wanted and put everything he wants into the final product. So we don't have to wait for "Snyder-cut" edition to release. If ever.... :D

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I will give this one a big fat MEH. When you want to pay homage to other films that are influences, you normally try to work them in as a nod, not directly rip them off. You know how film ideas can start on a napkin at a diner? That is how this feels. He came up with this big idea that could have worked and had something to it, then handed it off to whatever writers were around and they dialed up the cache of tropes to fill in the empty spots. It feels like it needed some more time in the pot to stew. If he is saying there is another hour, that means that is where the story went... Predictable to a fault. A cantina scene? REALLY?

Instead of making a "Snyder cut", just make the movie you want to make. If the studio doesn't want "that" move, then find a studio that does because audiences will watch it. Visually it is very good, like most of his films, but I need the story to feel like that too.

Can I also just say that I actually said "If I see another pointless use of bullet time, I will turn this off!" Even though we did finish it, we didn't have to wait long for another "let me slow this down for dramatic effect even though it is just someone running through some gunfire and has no significance to the story or character".

As harsh as that is, I did not *hate* it, I just feel like it seems phoned in, and that bugs me more than making a bad movie. If there is an award for Most Average, we might have a winner.

Last edited:
mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
A different story in another galaxy. :D
Now looking for another galaxy with better populated intelligence. ;)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis