Ataraxia

Ataraxia

Audioholic Intern
My last few attempts with YPAO have left my center image slightly off to the right.

YPAO sets the right speaker set to -.5 db, left 0 db. If I reduce the right to -2.5 db the center image centers nicely.

In Pure Direct the image centers but is a little less clear (to be expected without YPAO RSC, etc.) The left and right speaker distances match at 9.2', I believe it was...

Does this sound right? Is it OK to reduce the right speaker level to center the image? Is there a better way to do it?

(I edited the above to correct - Left o db, right -.5 db.) Final adjustment right -2.5 db, left 0 db.

Last edited:
William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I would adjust it, and have in the past. If it sounds off, it doesn’t matter what the numbers are.

Just saw you sig. same here. Mind-mn. Heart-west side!!!

Ataraxia

Ataraxia

Audioholic Intern
I would adjust it, and have in the past. If it sounds off, it doesn’t matter what the numbers are.

Just saw you sig. same here. Mind-mn. Heart-west side!!!
Thanks! It just feels a little wrong to adjust YPAO settings to get the center image correct. And I'm unsure if that messes up the other YPAO corrections when a manual adjustment is made to the gain... I don't remember that during all the initial setups I did previously.. Oh well. Sounds excellent with the adjustment.

I lived all over between Long Beach and the Irvine area for about 20 years. I moved to Appleton WI about 4 years ago with my job and sorely miss SoCal... :) I'm originally from Burnsville MN and most of my fams there but I don't connect with MN very much since all my wicked good memories are from SoCal... :)

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I don’t think it will effect anything else. I’m pretty sure ypao was just compensating for a room anomaly like a chair or glass door etc. I think it’s all good. I sometimes have to adjust after audyssey with my spl meter and always bump the subs a few dB. I also use a minidsp and build a house curve etc.

Had some family friends from Burnsville when I was a kid. They’d come stay at our other family friends resort. Good times....
I’ve always felt this calling to go west and when I see it it just looks like home. I loathe winters and it gets worse every year. Up nort’ in Brd.

Ataraxia

Ataraxia

Audioholic Intern
Ya. See pic. The right speaker is boxed in by the wall and left speaker to an open area....

You betcha, loathe the winters don'tcha know. :) I'm doing my best not to re-assimilate the accent and slang... hehe. If I could snap my fingers I'd be back in the OC area towards the coast... Time will tell.

Attachments

little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
I'm not sure about center spread... Is it an AVR setting? If so I haven't noticed it.
So, I'm not sure what model you have,
but on my 3060 when you go into the menu for dsp modes, and choose Dolby surround, you can hit the up arrow and choose center spread on or off. I choose on for everything I listen to. This sounds best to me. If I keep centers spread off the sound collapses to the center channel, at least to my ears.

Ataraxia

Ataraxia

Audioholic Intern
but on my 3060 when you go into the menu for dsp modes, and choose Dolby surround, you can hit the up arrow and choose center spread on or off. I choose on for everything I listen to. This sounds best to me. If I keep centers spread off the sound collapses to the center channel, at least to my ears.
I have the A2080. Thanks for the info. I'll check it out. But I'm not sure yet if that setting applies wen I'm in 2 channel "Straight" mode.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I have the A2080. Thanks for the info. I'll check it out. But I'm not sure yet if that setting applies wen I'm in 2 channel "Straight" mode.
No that won’t. It’s only for DSU which will engage all available speakers. Also, doesn’t straight disable your subs? On denon Marantz and Onkyo “direct” mode does that. I thought they were the same.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I like DSU as well. DtsNX is good too but I have been using DSU a lot more lately. Everything sounds awesome on 7.3.4.

little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
It does not. 2-channel straight mode gives you left and right speakers, no center, if the source is two channel.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Curious what material you judge center with? Do you have a center channel or is this a phantom center channel?

O

Otto Plyot

Junior Audioholic
No that won’t. It’s only for DSU which will engage all available speakers. Also, doesn’t straight disable your subs? On denon Marantz and Onkyo “direct” mode does that. I thought they were the same.
No. When the Straight decode mode is selected, the unit produces stereo sound from the front speakers for 2-channel sources such as CDs, and produces unprocessed multichannel sounds for multichannel sources. I use Straight on my A-780 upstairs and my new TSR-5830 downstairs (both are setup as 5.1).

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
No. When the Straight decode mode is selected, the unit produces stereo sound from the front speakers for 2-channel sources such as CDs, and produces unprocessed multichannel sounds for multichannel sources. I use Straight on my A-780 upstairs and my new TSR-5830 downstairs (both are setup as 5.1).
So does it do 2.1 on 2.0? Or just 2.0?
Btw, my bday is 5/23 also! Nice.

Ataraxia

Ataraxia

Audioholic Intern
Curious what material you judge center with? Do you have a center channel or is this a phantom center channel?
I don't have a center channel speaker.. I run 2.2, pic posted above of my current system layout.

For the phantom center check I use music vocalist playing guitars, mostly female vocalists with guitars... A well recorded one with strong center image vocals is Maria Mena "Calm Under the Waves." When watching movies the phantom center is really good.

O

Otto Plyot

Junior Audioholic
So does it do 2.1 on 2.0? Or just 2.0?
Btw, my bday is 5/23 also! Nice.
I don't know for sure about 2.1. I know on my A-780 upstairs, when I listen to internet radio (which is a rarity), it's set for 7.1 music (on a 5.1 system) and sounds really good. I don't use my Yamaha receivers for just music at times (I have a separate music room for that) so my experience in that area is very minimal. I would imagine that Straight just pushes the audio out as it is to the speakers that are active.

Cool about our b'days but I bet I'm older than you ;)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis