little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
Sorry I just realized you didn't have a Center speaker installed:oops:

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I like DSU as well. DtsNX is good too but I have been using DSU a lot more lately. Everything sounds awesome on 7.3.4.
At first I was drinking the DTSNX koolaid from ADTG, but after a lot of music listening, I prefer DSU in 5.1 because DTSNX is too much center channel, whereas DSU is balanced in the front 3.

Disclaimer, I’m going 5.1.4 soon so things may change but not likely since we are talking front 3. I’m guessing DTSNX may be better for some movies, will find out... :)

Ataraxia

Ataraxia

Audioholic Intern
I've done some more adjustments and YPAO runs and center image is good. It may have been chair placement, not sure....

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
... Also, doesn’t straight disable your subs? On denon Marantz and Onkyo “direct” mode does that. I thought they were the same.
Hunh? Am I mis-reading your statement?
My sub plays in either direct or pure direct mode!
I just verified on my Denon 4400, but pretty sure that is true for all of the Denon/Marantz I have used!

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Hunh? Am I mis-reading your statement?
My sub plays in either direct or pure direct mode!
I just verified on my Denon 4400, but pretty sure that is true for all of the Denon/Marantz I have used!
Interesting indeed. My Marantz and Onkyo disable the subs in direct/pure direct. Stereo enables them, but also Audyssey too.
I also have Yamaha and pioneer and iirc they disable the subs in those modes. Huh...experiment mode, engage.
Ya know, iirc direct does allow subs for anything with .1. My manual says, direct mode plays back audio as recorded in the source. So for 2.0 subs should be off, but not movies.
Also wonder @KEW are you using lfe+main?

Last edited:
S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
No that won’t. It’s only for DSU which will engage all available speakers. Also, doesn’t straight disable your subs? On denon Marantz and Onkyo “direct” mode does that. I thought they were the same.
Straight doesn’t disengage the subs

Pure Direct is the setting that disengages the subs.

I have 2060, not 2080 but 99% sure it’s the same way on 2080. :)

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord

I believe you’re right. Another reason my head hurts when dealing with Yamaha.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Interesting indeed. My Marantz and Onkyo disable the subs in direct/pure direct. Stereo enables them, but also Audyssey too.
I also have Yamaha and pioneer and iirc they disable the subs in those modes. Huh...experiment mode, engage.
Ya know, iirc direct does allow subs for anything with .1. My manual says, direct mode plays back audio as recorded in the source. So for 2.0 subs should be off, but not movies.
What AVR is your manual for?
I just put my YES - Fragile disc in the Oppo. I chose it because it is very clearly labeled "Stereo" (without any additional labeling for 5.1, etc).
Subwoofer plays in both "Direct" and "Pure Direct" modes.
My speakers are set to small, so there is no difference between "LFE" vs "LFE + Main", but I switched it both ways just to verify. My understanding is if the speakers were set to large, they would not play stereo music bass via the sub in "LFE" mode.
Not sure why anybody would want to disengage subs though. LOL :)
Most of the time, I have bookshelf speakers setup which would be obvious when the sub dropped out and I just never lose the sub short of deliberately going into the menu to specifically disable it! Like you, I think that is a good thing!

Last edited:
P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Are you referring to 2ch playback or multi-channel? For multi-channel source, the sub should be on in Direct/Pure direct modes. For 2 Ch, you have the choice in the 2ch playback menu.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Are you referring to 2ch playback or multi-channel? For multi-channel source, the sub should be on in Direct/Pure direct modes. For 2 Ch, you have the choice in the 2ch playback menu.
Yes. This is my understanding. For anything with a .1 the subs would be active in direct mode although Audyssey would be bypassed.

For 2ch I don’t recall seeing an option to add subs in direct. It’s not something I ever wanted to do so I never looked into. I will browse just to see.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
What AVR is your manual for?
I just put my YES - Fragile disc in the Oppo. I chose it because it is very clearly labeled "Stereo" (without any additional labeling for 5.1, etc).
Subwoofer plays in both "Direct" and "Pure Direct" modes.
My speakers are set to small, so there is no difference between "LFE" vs "LFE + Main", but I switched it both ways just to verify. My understanding is if the speakers were set to large, they would not play stereo music bass via the sub in "LFE" mode.

Most of the time, I have bookshelf speakers setup which would be obvious when the sub dropped out and I just never lose the sub short of deliberately going into the menu to specifically disable it! Like you, I think that is a good thing!
It’s in the manual for my Marantz 6012. You can see in the descriptions, it includes adding the subwoofer in “stereo”, and says “plays back audio as recorded in the source” for “direct”

Curious, do you have any bass management turned on in the oppo? That could tell the denon there’s a .1 possibly.
Curiosity peaked.

O

Otto Plyot

Junior Audioholic
I have two Yamaha receivers for two HTS's. An older one and a new one. Both are set to Straight and the subs are active when 5.1 is presented regardless of source. Inet Radio is 5(or7)-ch stereo. Speakers are set to Small.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi

It's the same in the CX-A5100.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
At first I was drinking the DTSNX koolaid from ADTG, but after a lot of music listening, I prefer DSU in 5.1 because DTSNX is too much center channel, whereas DSU is balanced in the front 3.

Disclaimer, I’m going 5.1.4 soon so things may change but not likely since we are talking front 3. I’m guessing DTSNX may be better for some movies, will find out... :)
For the record, I drink NeuralX 100% Coconut Water, not Kool-Aid. :D

Last edited:
P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
It’s in the manual for my Marantz 6012. You can see in the descriptions, it includes adding the subwoofer in “stereo”, and says “plays back audio as recorded in the source” for “direct”

Curious, do you have any bass management turned on in the oppo? That could tell the denon there’s a .1 possibly.
Curiosity peaked.
I thought you had the SR7012. The SR6012 probably does not have the front speaker 2ch playback menu that the 7012, x4400h, x4500h have.

If it has that feature, and if it is like the 7012, you would see it in the manual set up menu.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I thought you had the SR7012. The SR6012 probably does not have the front speaker 2ch playback menu that the 7012, x4400h, x4500h have.

If it has that feature, and if it is like the 7012, you would see it in the manual set up menu.
Ok cool. I will dig around.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Ok cool. I will dig around.
I read the Owner's manual of the SR6012, it does not have that feature. Only the higher models has it, i.e. sub can be "on" if bass set to LFE+Main, even in pure direct model if set up correctly in the 2 ch payback menu.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord

Curiosity peaked.
I did not, but I gather Peng has the correct understanding of it!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis