R

RX-V2400

Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>rgriffin63,425's FIRST LINE of FIRST POST called Yamahaholics love of these great products &quot;hype&quot;. Does he now say this was not a form of critisism? And does he now complain that we defend our opinions?</font>

M

mustang_steve

Senior Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>If I found a product I liked form another manufacturer that met my budget and performed/was constructed better...I would be all over it with a quickness. The problem being often I do find a better sounding unit, but the quality build just isn't there...many of the stereo units seem quite flimsy anymore.

Pity that the stereo market has gotten so bad that you almost have to go either very expensive or give up and buy an HT reciever or preamp that has so many things you don't even want or will ever use. &nbsp;By stereo i mean 2-channel gear, as I prefer 2-channel audio...just easier to live with than having a 5.1 setup with runs of cable all over the place &nbsp;
</font>

Last edited by a moderator:
Yamahaluver

Yamahaluver

Audioholic General
<font color='#0000FF'>I fully agree with the above post by Mustang_Steve, it is getting nearly impossible for a 2 channel man to buy a decent pre/power amp or intergrated amp, most are being discontinued by their manufacturers forcing one to buy a HT amp which one would have no use for. Also good quality CD players are on their way out and either one has to be high priced SACD players or are left with DVD players.

Speakers too are bearing the HT brunt, they are being designed to be more HT friendly and thereby sacrificing other aspects like fidelity and accuracy sometimes.</font>

D

Doufuss

Enthusiast
<font color='#000000'>I made the decision to buy the Yammie after comparing all available receivers in the same price range, feature for feature. I got more, for less money.

The biggest issue was that none of the others were capable of driving 4 or even 6 ohm loads, indicating perhaps suspect power supplies. This is a major point for me for a lot of reasons, and experience with quality amplifiers from Rotel and Bryston. Simply put, the better the power supply, the more muscle you get.

Last, but not least, was doing an apples to apples comparison in the showroom. We setup two receivers with the same speakers I have at home, and the result was the Yamaha simply sounded &quot;fuller&quot; and &quot;warmer&quot;, which some people may not like.

You gotta decide for yourself.</font>

A

abe

Junior Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>rgriffin25,

From what I've seen in lots of posts here on Audioholics, there is little to none of such notation at 'yamahaholics'. &nbsp;A few points:

(1) Yamaha makes excellent products, personally I like their Recieivers very much. &nbsp;Many people like their other products as well. &nbsp;

(2) therefore, when someone come on board and ask 'what receiver (or others for that matter) should I consider or buy?', people in (1) will naturally recommedn Yamaha.

(3) I didn't see many people in (1) bash other products at all, if not also compliment them, e.g., Denon receivers.

(4) by your statndard, &nbsp;how should I post or reply on Audioholics to avoid being 'yamahaholics' ? &nbsp;this is ridiculous! &nbsp;sounds like too much of political correctness here -- I will have to mention ALL the other good receivers before recommend 1400 !? &nbsp;Or since Denon, Maratz, etc are also excellent products, so 'Thou shalt not like Yamahas alone' ?</font>

rgriffin25

rgriffin25

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>
RX-V2400 : <font color='#000000'>rgriffin63,425's FIRST LINE of FIRST POST called Yamahaholics love of these great products &quot;hype&quot;.</font>
<font color='#000000'>rx-v2400,
Maybe if you took a little more time to read my post a little more carefully you might see that I didn't say the Yamaha products are hype. Here is what I said &quot;I am very curious as to why there is so much hype about Yamaha in these forums??&quot; That is quite a bit different than how you percieved it.
I don't know how many times I will have to explain myself before some of you will get it. The whole point of this topic is to make other people aware of other receivers in this price range. Not to knock you or your decision on which one you bought. I feel that to be truely objective any smart person would consider more than one brand before making a purchase. Yes, even those of you that live or die Yamaha.
I currently own a Pioneer Elite Receiver. I love it! It works great for me, and I love the way it sounds with my speakers. Does this mean that I will cram it down everyones throat? Or make a recommendation based on my experiences without considering the other persons tastes or needs?
What I think is funny is how defensive you all are. Throwing stones at me because I dare to be different. Nit Picking each of my posts and trying to use anything I say against me.

Abe,
Yes I do feel that it is necessary to suggest other products in addition to what you own. It lets other people know that you can be objective. It also tells them that you know what you are talking about*. Having the ability to compare the products both with specs and first hand use. It is always good to remember that what may work great for you isn't always the best choice for someone else.

*By the way did you really ever own a Bryston?
</font>

D

Doufuss

Enthusiast
<font color='#000000'>Griff

I guess the Bryston reference was directed at me.

No, I did not ever really own a Bryston, but I used to play top 40 in clubs and our leased PA had 3 Bryston 4B's and a Peavey 800, which we exchanged for another Bryston.

Our vocalist used a 3B for his monitor system.

Our bass player had a Proximity amp, which is the precursor to Bryston, right down to the Robertson screws.</font>

A

abe

Junior Audioholic

Yes I did own a Bryston.  It was 4B-ST pro model year 2000.  I bought it on Audiogon and sold it there as well.  Along with it I also bought a Camelot Uther mkIII DAC with volumne control that I used with the Bry.    I believe I might still have some old pictures that used in the classified somewhere on my computer....

If you are still having doubt,  try the following yourself :

use any CD/DVD player that has Digital output. directly hook to Yamaha 1400 or any RX-V series that has a Digital input.  Compare that with whatever pure 2-channel gear you have or can borrow,   with basic control of same speaker/cable/room/SPL.  

Then come back talk to me.

Have you ever owned a Yamaha receiver?

Abe</font>

A

abe

Junior Audioholic

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Abe,
Yes I do feel that it is necessary to suggest other products in addition to what you own. It lets other people know that you can be objective. It also tells them that you know what you are talking about*. Having the ability to compare the products both with specs and first hand use. It is always good to remember that what may work great for you isn't always the best choice for someone else.
</td></tr></table>

You are way off here. &nbsp;This forum is not a contest for who is the most 'audio correctness' but a place to post people's opinion about audit gears. &nbsp; If a comprehensive comparison between Yamaha and all others can be provdied, great! &nbsp;If one only has limited experience with only one brand, say Yamaha, he still has the right to voice his opinion. &nbsp;Readers, including you, can dismiss any of them with discretion naturally. &nbsp;

Even though I don't care a bit, but I couldnt help to notice the strong offensiveness in your post/tune/mind with such a 'holier than thou' attitude. &nbsp; Calm down my friend, &nbsp;this is only about electronic gears, not world peace. &nbsp;not that a big deal either way. &nbsp;

...</font>

rgriffin25

rgriffin25

<font color='#000000'>To: Abe

Can you please make your posts easier to read? Then maybe I could answer your questions a little better.

For now, I will answer your questions as much as possible based on how well my decoder ring works. (Thanks Green Lantern).

I do not consider myself to be audiophile. I enjoy my home theather, and my HT receiver for the reason it was built. So your little 2 channel test would do me no good. Which brings me to one of my questions. Why the heck would you sell top notch 2 channel equipment to go with something that is designed for multi-channel hometheater? I don't want to hear that the $800 Yamaha sounded better. Not only that, if you had that kind of money why didn't you buy a Z-1? I am sure the other Yamaha fans in here would not claim that the 2400 sounds better than the Z-1.
If any one should be puzzled here it should be me???
How many times do I need to explain myself to you. READ my POSTS. At this point your opinion does not matter to me. Honestly you lost all credibitliy with me when you downgraded for &quot;better&quot; quality. Maybe you should do some reading or even start a poll on who would chose a Home Theater Receiver for 2 channel music or a Bryston 4B-ST pro model with a Camelot Uther mkIII DAC. I have never personally used Bryston products. But I can say this.. I did a little research at their website.. Can you tell me a mass produced receiver can sound better than a hand built amp with a 20 year warranty. I wonder how the people at Bryston would react to your claims. Quit their jobs and go to work at Yamaha???

No I have never owned a Yamaha receiver. Which was one of the initial reasons for this thread. I truely wanted to know what made these receivers better... Now I must say thanks to you and a few other people who can't read that this has become a nightmare.
I give up! No matter what I say someone takes it the wrong way. I think I may have visited Yamaha city one too many times! Coming in here and questioning Yamaha's performance with you guys &nbsp;is just like walking into a church and questioning whether Jesus actually exists.
At this point I am handing the reigns over to Zumbo. Ask him if his 1400 is better than a bryston. If so, &nbsp;why did he add an adcom amp to his 1400 since it was not powerful enough. Or ask him why he suggests adding an amp to anyone considering an upgrade. You both need to resolve this... So that we all may know the truth.
For the record I am resigning my post in here. So do not direct any more questions towards me. Do not try and spin my words to make me look like the evil one!
Oh! Before I end this... If anyone wants a great sub $1000 receiver buy a Pioneer Elite 53TX. If anything it is far prettier than any Yamaha!!!!!! (Yeah I said Prettier Shinerman!)
</font>

M

mustang_steve

Senior Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>If you can, try out a yamaha RX-496 (not the &quot;V&quot; part, that is a entirely different product). I'm using Dayton Loudspeaker BR-1 &quot;bookshelves&quot; on it and it sounds great. For a reciever/speaker combo under $500, I would be very hard pressed to beat it. &nbsp;

I put bookshelves in quotes since they are &quot;bookshelf&quot; or monitor sized, but have rather strict placement &nbsp;guidelines for optimal sound. &nbsp;In all truth, these speakers are best placed as if they were floorstanders, using a stand of course
</font>

H

hopjohn

Full Audioholic
rgriffin25 said:
<font color='#000000'>To: Abe

Can you please make your posts easier to read? Then maybe I could answer your questions a little better.

For now, I will answer your questions as much as possible based on how well my decoder ring works. (Thanks Green Lantern).
:eek: I was having the same difficulty....maybe the ring was what I was missing.

R

Ross

Junior Audioholic
"Oh! Before I end this... If anyone wants a great sub $1000 receiver buy a Pioneer Elite 53TX. If anything it is far prettier than any Yamaha!!!!!!"

Like I said earlier, all to many times some threads just turn into one guy trying to justify, defend, or rationalize his purchase.

Griff, your new official job is to make others aware of "other" brands of receivers.

Just remember what you had already stated and everything will be fine!

"I just wish that we can all be happy with the brands we own without feeling the need to get into a huge debate on which one is better."

best,

Yamahaluver

Yamahaluver

Audioholic General
Make sure you add Marantz, SONY, Onkyo, Denon to your prospective list, it is only when you have heard others, you can come to your own conclusion and be satisfied with your purchase.

BTW: Pioneer with the exception of their Elite series, has been famous for Tokyo By Night look and therfore you have to really like it, as far as looks go, nothing beats Yamaha and Marnatz
s minimalist approach.

U

Unregistered

My last post in this thread (too)

To: Griff, Hopjohn,

Since you guys are quitting, I will be leaving soon as well. :)

If Griff has never owned/heard both Bryston and Yamaha and is criticizing my experience with both ...., then I have nothing to say here. By the way, you didn't mention any other brands when you 'promote' Pioneer Elite receiver!!!!!

Hopjohn, puzzled at which part of my post puzzled you !? In one word, 1400 sounds NOT better than Bryston, but very very CLOSE. So close it can justify its place so I can own only one system (HT and audto combined) instead of two -- a HT with Yamaha receiver + a 2-channel system with Bryston. I figured, when count total cost and space, selling my 2-channel system and keep only HT is a good move.

Abe

H

hopjohn

Full Audioholic
Quitting ....What??? I never said that. Anyway...I'm glad you like your system Abe. I'm sure the Bryston is not as good as most might think, but I probably would have kept it if I'd have had to the money to afford in the first place, it could have always been integrated into a HT powering the main channels. As long as you are happy with the 1400 that's all the matters. Just because we don't agree doesn't mean I don't understand. The decode ring comment refers to the difficulty reading your posts because I don't think you are always so clear. I have to kind of read between the lines at times...but that's alright. I don't always make sense either.

Nomo

Nomo

Audioholic Samurai
I have noticed the lean towards Yamaha in the forums since I began viewing this site. (Actually this has been only few weeks). I feel it is justfied. Several weeks ago I began shopping for a reciever to replace my Sony STR-DE885. (A miserable piece of electronics). A large majority of the "experts" I talked to had nothing but good to say about their quality and value. It was not surprising to me to find that these opinions were reflected in these forums. So far the best option I have found for my needs and budget seems to be the RX-V650. This leads me to my next point, and forgive me, the real reason for responding to this thread:
The going retail on this unit is 499.00. estores offer it for around 350.00.
I have heard of, as it has been referred to here, the "warranty dillemma".
Is it true that the Yamaha warranty is void if an RXV series unit is not purchased from a certified vendor? Are there any online certified vendors? Am I stupid? Is the same true for the HTR series? Although I don't care as much for a cosmetic appearance of the HTR-5760 the price difference of 150.00 makes it look alot more attractive.
Can some one help? Be kind?
I appologize if the answer to to this question has already been answered some where in these formus, but I could not find it.

Votrax

Votrax

Audioholic
The low to mid priced Sony's are junk. I replaced a junk STR-DE825 with a STR-V444ES and have been very happy with it. I think the new ES line has taken a dive. The RX-V2400 looks to be a very good unit for the price. Of course if I can swing it I may just purchase a RX-Z1. Yamaha, Denon, and Pioneer have some very good equipment and it just comes down to taste. Onkyo looks descent, but I know they had reliability issues in the past.

U

Unregistered

Yamahalolics

Bought the RX-Z9. Connected Z9 to Paradigm Studio 100s, CC570 & ADPs. My reason for the purchases: sound quality in a 27' x 17.5' room.

Now, I know that other pieces of electronic equipment are better & worse. I am constantly trying to achieve the "best" sound (extremely subjective).

I have enjoyed the performance of the Yamaha RX-Z9 for music (SACDs, DVD-A, CD, all using the iLink capabilities of the Z9. The sound is great.

We also enjoy movies & are impressed of the theater like sound fields the Yamaha puts out in different Cinema DSP modes.

Question: Now Denon offers the 5805 that can be bi-amped not only for two channel stereo using iLink, but also in three other channels for multi channel SACD & DVD-A and 5.1 movies. Will the sound quality of bi-amping to the Paradigms warrant a switch from Yamaha's RX-Z9 to Denon's 5805?

U

Unregistered

Yamaha comments

Griff is wrong (sorry Griff, but I'm a 40 year veteran of the HiFi industry). In an effort to be fair, I will not lean in any particular direction, product-wise as I represent many of the brands mentioned on this site. I will tell you certain brands sound better than others. Certain brands break more than others, although, in this case, even the worst is better than the "old days". Now pay attention: some brands cannot drive complex or low-impedance loads. They will either shut down or merely sound harsh and rough. I'm talking about major hi fi brands, too--names you all know.
Go and listen. Bring your own demo material. Play the unit in question through five 4 ohm speakers, crank it up, and see how it does. If you don't have the inclination to do thiese things, go to the most trustworthy dealer in town and put yourself in his hands. Never buy mail-order if you can get a competeive price from a local retailer. Finally, some manufacturers will not honor warranties if the product was not bought from an authorized dealer. I'm too lazy to explain the legalities (I'm a slow typist) but it holds up in court.
There are differences in brands, period.
Oh, yes, don't bother to to reply to me; I'm not a member and do not have time to join these discussions. Nice site though. Good luck to you all.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis