Nomo

Nomo

Audioholic Samurai
I am sure it can be blown up as well as the next component as it has limits too, right?
Let me have a try at blowing up your Sony. I've taken care of one. That was the first and the last one I owned. Is Yamaha the best? Maybe not. Is it better than Sony? You betcha.
I generally try not to pass judgements as far as what is better. But Sonyguy, you coming in here half cocked and apparently half witted, don't deserve that amount of respect.

Run along and play now.

S

sjdgpt

Senior Audioholic
SonyGuy said:
Yamaha sucks, always have. They suck in receivers and sound. I have blown two Yamaha receivers and one subwoofer. All three pieces where only months old before they toasted. I've always been a Sony lover since I have owned just about every receiver possible. Sony has the puriest sound even at high volumes. I crank the heck out of my Sony and it takes every bit and hasn't blown yet, and it's a year old. I would put my Sony up against any of your Yamaha receivers and blow them to pieces. You people need to get out more often and look and listen to the real sound. Oh, by the way I'm a musician too, so I guess I know what live music is supposed to sound like and Sony is it. Sorry if you have a problem with the truth but, like they say the truth does hurt. :) Sony ALL THE WAY!!!!!!!
Wow. How many Sony receivers have you owned? How many receivers have you owned? Why have you needed to replace all of these receivers?

SonyGuy said:
Oh, by the way I'm a musician too, so I guess I know what live music is supposed to sound like

A musician? What instrument(s)? What kind of music? Are you in the high school band? Have you heard your musical talents reproduced over your favorite audio equipment? How much time have you spent in a recording studio? Can you recognize and positively identify different recordings of the same musical selection?

SonyGuy said:
Yamaha sucks, always have. They suck in receivers and sound. I have blown two Yamaha receivers and one subwoofer. All three pieces where only months old before they toasted. I've always been a Sony lover since I have owned just about every receiver possible. Sony has the puriest sound even at high volumes. I crank the heck out of my Sony and it takes every bit and hasn't blown yet, and it's a year old. I would put my Sony up against any of your Yamaha receivers and blow them to pieces. You people need to get out more often and look and listen to the real sound. Oh, by the way I'm a musician too, so I guess I know what live music is supposed to sound like and Sony is it. Sorry if you have a problem with the truth but, like they say the truth does hurt. :) Sony ALL THE WAY!!!!!!!

Gosh darn, why am I even trying.

zipper

zipper

Full Audioholic
Could this be the same guy that's looking for a lime green AMC Gremlin?

RLA

RLA

Audioholic Chief
I think someone is pulling very hard on the old legs
with the Sony comments.Or it may be possible that one of our members is staying at the Bates motel ;)

Mudcat

Mudcat

Senior Audioholic
zipper said:
Could this be the same guy that's looking for a lime green AMC Gremlin?
What's the matter with a Lime Green Gremlin. One of these was my first car, then I moved up to a Pacer - yup, lime green. Then I graduated to a piss yellow corvette, 67 427 side pipes tricarbed blue printed tuned 600 hp on a dyno 1'35" around Lime Rock in CT.

Last edited:
Z

zumbo

Audioholic Spartan
Mudcat said:
What's the matter with a Lime Green Gremlin. One of these was my first car, then I moved up to a Pacer - yup, lime green. Then I graduated to a piss yellow corvette, 67 427 side pipes tricarbed blue printed tuned 600 hp on a dyno 1'35" around Lime Rock in CT.
Oh you poor thing. Lost the panoramic view out of those super windows of the Pacer. All for a Vette. Vette's suck. AMC ALL THE WAY! :D

I think the 427 was Chevrolet's best engine. Almost as good as the AMC straight six! :eek:

M

mustang_steve

Senior Audioholic
heh, I think we got a guy either:

a) pulling our legs

b) using older gear and trying to get 2ohm stable operation from a receiver from teh 60s

c) trying to get 2ohm or less stable op from a low end receiver

Sony AFAIK (i could be wrong, I'm pretty sure it's them or technics), has some sort of impedance compensation built in to ensure you dont kill it by running low impedance loads. If that was the case, then you should have gotten a professional amp. If you were driving low impedance loads, dont go saying home audio gear sucks when being expected to drive pro audio loads.....that's like taking a ferrari to a tractor pull and screaming "ferrari sucks" when it doesn't even place in the top 10.

Oh, you can't forget the greatest car of all time, the chevette! :D

SVI2004A

SVI2004A

Audiophyte
would you like wedges or fries?? after all they all have the same component - potato

:rolleyes: I have just spent some time looking at this thread.... Yamaha among other brands is up there and there to stay.... what makes so many people addicted to yamaha?... i arent a fan of yamaha myself, but it is easy to see where they do well - their front end & control circuitry are the result of the years they have spent designing such units - they are frontrunners in the home cinema racket - usually the ones innovating the next whizz bang pro logic reciever - but i look at where can they gain more.... i look at the Z9 and ask myself why did they still use the Sanken 1 bolt (MT100) style transistors... (now before any of you other major brand fans start sniggering - just lift the top off your reciever or amp and highly likely you will too see sitting there the exact same devices (2SA1265/2SC3182 100W 10A 140V) seem to be common thru all brands... yet yamaha can do better - why not finish the amp stages off w/ a nicer set of finals... ie: 2SA1494/2SC3858 200W 17A 200V as it would handle higher current, run cooler and be more robust under extreme conditions

like it or not - nearly ALL japanese (and a fair few other) Amps will be running Sanken devices - why not go for a better quality component?

the Technics SE-A3MK2 i have uses 4 complimentry pairs/ch of 2SA1295/2SC3264 200W 230V 17A / device enabling 68A DC current handling coupled w/ 800W capabilities (the amp itself is rated at 2X 300W min continuous in 4 or 8 ohm weighing in at 40kg

---- as a point of interest Yamahaluver i would like to know more bout the yamaha power amps you have - what is bolted to the heatsinks of those? what rail voltages? what cappies are in it?

as the models you speak of sound like well built amps - and in my time i have seen some nice yamaha amps on ebay but i wont buy an amp till i know whats in it...

after all the circuit you hear is a loop of supply/output stage/speaker

like was said earlier it is near on impossible to find the elusive pre/power combos now... THANX for nothin HT - (to think i find the old AV<Matrix> surround just as enjoyable)

Yamahaluver

Yamahaluver

Audioholic General
Glad to be of service, Yamaha uses dual mono design using two torroidal 750VA transformers, 10 Hitachi MOSFET4 transistors per channel, there are 4 Elna Cerrafine caps totalling 100,000μF. It uses a high speed dual transistor input control amp and therefore doesnt depend on idling current to acheive class A operation, somewhat similar to STASIS design. The dual transformers alone weigh around 15Kg and the S/N ration is around 132dB.

Y

yamahaclear

Audiophyte
Yamaha AX-497, RX-797, or RX-V765 for music listening? Speaker recommendations?

I've been a Yamaha fan ever since I first listened to Yamaha equipment and heard that beautiful clear sound 15 years ago, like the singers and band were all in the same room with me. I bought a full Yamaha system (integrated amp, cd player, and speakers), but unfortunately, I no longer have it.

After many years without music in my life (I don't count the low quality Youtube videos and Blackberry mobile music), I am finally going to take the plunge and actually buy my first full system. I listen to pop music cd's, dvd's (concerts), vcd's, and my own recorded DVD-R's and CD-R's from online footage. I really value clear sound and vocals much more than heavy bass.

What do you recommend that I buy?

I am considering the AX-497, RX-797, and RX-V765, which are all in my price range. Is the sound best on the AX-497? If I get the AX-497 or the RX-797, I don't mind running a separate set of cables for video directly to my TV when I watch a DVD or VCD concert.

When I went to an audio store, though, one salesman told me I would get better audio from the RX-v765, I think because I could use the new technology (HDMI audio, etc.). Does this new technology mean better sound than the old RCA cables?

Also, what speakers do you recommend? I am considering the Yamaha NS-6490, NS-B310, or NS-333 bookshelves to try to get that precise clear sound imaging that I love, but I don't have a chance to listen to any of them because there are no dealers near me that have Yamaha speakers to listen to. I did hear the Klipsch RB-81 bookshelves and thought they were quite good.

I've heard that acoustic suspension speakers would be the way to go, so maybe the NS-6490 or NS-B310.

Or should I go with floorstanding speakers for music? There is the NS-555, the NS-525F, NS-325F, and quite a few others.

I can't afford the SOAVO line...

The only thing that I think I've decided to get is the DVD-S1800 player. It seems to have low THD, and plays DVD, CD's, VCD's, MP3's, and anything else I can throw at it.

I'm thinking AX-497, NS-6490, and DVD-S1800, played in CD-audio direct mode. Will a CD player provide better sound than the DVD-S1800?

I'd love to hear any of your recommendations for amps and speakers or anything else Yamaha!

Nomo

Nomo

Audioholic Samurai
I've been a Yamaha fan ever since I first listened to Yamaha equipment and heard that beautiful clear sound 15 years ago, like the singers and band were all in the same room with me. I bought a full Yamaha system (integrated amp, cd player, and speakers), but unfortunately, I no longer have it.

After many years without music in my life (I don't count the low quality Youtube videos and Blackberry mobile music), I am finally going to take the plunge and actually buy my first full system. I listen to pop music cd's, dvd's (concerts), vcd's, and my own recorded DVD-R's and CD-R's from online footage. I really value clear sound and vocals much more than heavy bass.

What do you recommend that I buy?

I am considering the AX-497, RX-797, and RX-V765, which are all in my price range. Is the sound best on the AX-497? If I get the AX-497 or the RX-797, I don't mind running a separate set of cables for video directly to my TV when I watch a DVD or VCD concert.

When I went to an audio store, though, one salesman told me I would get better audio from the RX-v765, I think because I could use the new technology (HDMI audio, etc.). Does this new technology mean better sound than the old RCA cables?

Also, what speakers do you recommend? I am considering the Yamaha NS-6490, NS-B310, or NS-333 bookshelves to try to get that precise clear sound imaging that I love, but I don't have a chance to listen to any of them because there are no dealers near me that have Yamaha speakers to listen to. I did hear the Klipsch RB-81 bookshelves and thought they were quite good.

I've heard that acoustic suspension speakers would be the way to go, so maybe the NS-6490 or NS-B310.

Or should I go with floorstanding speakers for music? There is the NS-555, the NS-525F, NS-325F, and quite a few others.

I can't afford the SOAVO line...

The only thing that I think I've decided to get is the DVD-S1800 player. It seems to have low THD, and plays DVD, CD's, VCD's, MP3's, and anything else I can throw at it.

I'm thinking AX-497, NS-6490, and DVD-S1800, played in CD-audio direct mode. Will a CD player provide better sound than the DVD-S1800?

I'd love to hear any of your recommendations for amps and speakers or anything else Yamaha!
My Yamaha receiver is fantastic, but I presume you're considering a 2 channel (2.0) set-up.
First of all, while I haven't heard the Soavos, there are much better speakers out there than what Yamaha has to offer.
Second, Onkyo and Denon make 2 channel receivers that I would take over the comparable Yamaha models.

What are you looking to spend?

Y

yamahaclear

Audiophyte
My Yamaha receiver is fantastic, but I presume you're considering a 2 channel (2.0) set-up.
First of all, while I haven't heard the Soavos, there are much better speakers out there than what Yamaha has to offer.
Second, Onkyo and Denon make 2 channel receivers that I would take over the comparable Yamaha models.

What are you looking to spend?
Thanks for the reply. I'd like to spend under $1000, but I could stretch the budget a bit more if I had to to get better sound.

Would your Yamaha AV receiver produce sound as clear and as high quality or better than 2-channel amps/receivers?

Let me know what amps & speakers you recommend.

B

Buckeye_Nut

Audioholic Field Marshall
OMG....

Talk about a blast from the past!!

yettitheman

yettitheman

Audioholic General
Yep, pretty old indeed.

I wouldn't say everything made by Yamaha is great... as I think the new RX-V line (more so the crappy new displays they use on everything except the 4 top of the line models) is a step backwards.

But, aside from features and recent decisions, Yamaha gear will pretty much keep on going.

This was my first piece of Yamaha "gathering":
A BNIB Yamaha HTR-5730. It was actually a HTIB that came with a 5.1 speaker package. I do not remember the nomenclature of the HTIB model number.

http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/productdetail.html?CNTID=200027&CTID=5000400

Well built, compact receiver. Ended up selling the 5.1 speakers and bought some BIC's to replace them (see, not great HTIB speakers, but the sub was decent, and it got sold last.) Had fair enough quantity of inputs at the time, and was powerful enough to drive my old BIC-American's pretty painlessly (but they were the most efficient driving speakers I've ever owned).

Recap, $300 and sold the speakers for $80 IIRC. Not too bad really.
Then, I sold/traded it for a Onkyo TX-DS787. Expensive when new, but I was getting it used. A bit of cosmetic damage, but nothing horrid. It was definitely a bigger powerhouse, but the analog section was horrid. I've been around the block with receivers, and that by far is still the worst I've listened to analog wise. Maybe it was my particular unit, or something happened inside of it, but it was awful. I've had older Pioneers (still have an SX-626), a somewhat odd and rare RCA Dimensia Pre/Pro matching set, my current Yamaha DSP-A1000, an old Sony Dolby Pro Logic receiver that spit out 60wpc stereo, an older Onkyo that was two channel only, and my P2201 with a Adcom pre-amp (returned it because one channel was bad, but the good channel was kick-arse). Out of all (maybe except the Adcom, but it's ruled out) of them, the 787 was pretty disappointing.

I drifted awhile out in audio ocean (it's near the Red Sea :p ), and eventually I came across my now beloved DSP-A1000. Yes, it's not a modern 5.1 receiver and yes, it has no digital input, but it was 50 pounds of monster receiver bliss. When I saw it at the pawn shop, and then picked her up, I knew that this was not an ordinary piece of amplification. I saw the $60 price tag and was surprised, UNTIL I learned that something was wrong with the pre-amp.

When the volume knob was turned up all the way, there was barely any audible sound from the speakers. You're thinking low noise floor, but no. It was hooked up to a working CD player, and the tired old girl just whispered at maximum volume.

At this point, most people would probably run away from "this old piece of junk". I took a risk and bought the thing anyway :D .

I took her home to my place, got her dru--- wait what? :D
I did take her home to my workstation, and cleaned the outside of her up as much as possible. Sure enough, she was a beauty. I did the cosmetic equivalent of taking a 3XXL large flannel shirt and stretch pants off of Emma Watson ;)

But, still, the problem with audio. http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29412&highlight=yamaha As you can see, I paid for more than $60 in time, but only $10 for pot-cleaner! :D

Then it really began. I had an vintage Yamaha from the early 90's. What can I get that will function WELL and match the system?

Didn't have to look to hard or far for that answer. $15 later at another shop, I walked out with a TX-950, a CDV-1200K, and KX-W952 (tuner, LD player, and Tape Deck). ALL mint, and all worked PERFECTLY. (well, the Tape Deck is missing one knob......)

But not all have ended up so well. My CDX-900U was a great CD spinner, but I have reason to believe the laser is on it's way out. It's a great sounding unit, when it doesn't skip randomly. Built fairly heavily, but age has taken it's toll on this one. The old Magnavox CDB-460 (which I got in pretty sad shape for $10 and is now in Seth=L's hands again) did not do this, and it was a bit more beat on. However, it stands more testament to the excellent design of the Magnavox as a unit (and the transport in the 460, 560, and 650 were all amazing). But, because it was a Magnavox, the 460 and 560 have a tendency to kill the display. :(

And, I don't just buy Yamaha. For instance, my SACD player is a Sony. The SCD-CE595 is an excellent 5-disc CD/SACD player. Many people have reviewed it, and I find that 5 discs are more than enough to gobble at once. If you are a one disc a time person, go find an old Magnavox CDB-650. A lot cheaper, and more reliable.

My first (and only standalone DVD player) is a Sony. Cheap, slim, and regarded probably as crap nowadays..... still works. I bought it on a whim to take the load off my then dying PS2's disc tray to play DVD's. $75 bucks later, it's still not a bad spinner. In fact, besides the computer, this little crap box can read even the most badly damaged discs, no problems. Discs that would skip on the SACD player, the Magnavox, the Yamaha, even my PC on occasion, would play decent on this thin little box.

I have a mid to late 90's Mitsubishi VHS deck. One of the best VHS decks I've seen operate and playback a VHS tape... next to the JVC SVHS deck.

And, I also still have a awesome vintage Pioneer SX-626 that is built like a small tank.

So, in reality, it's mainly luck of the draw for me. I had one part, then I had four, now I look for more :D

But, if someone dangled a nice piece of gear, such as a Denon AVP-A1HDCI, no doubt I would take it. I would take it and use it like a dish towel. :D

But, also, why I like Yamaha, is that I think that they understand music as well. They used to be (and still are as far as I know) Japan's leading piano manufacturer (not so much electric, think Stienway and the likeness).
And, they make some awesome motorcycles to ride. I know, because I've ridden quite a few ;) (DT-1, DT-50, Seca 600, FZR-400 (race bike), FZR-600, and, who can forget the XS-650?)

All in all, I know they know how to make music and reproduce it. They have been in the business for a while and I'm pretty sure they aren't going anywhere.

//RANT :D

T

tjhendry

Audiophyte
not the yams I expected

I thought I'd find some sweet potato recipes!

I hope nobody objects to this post. I just need to become eligible to send PM.

Y

yamahaclear

Audiophyte
best sound recommendations

Yep, pretty old indeed.

I wouldn't say everything made by Yamaha is great... as I think the new RX-V line (more so the crappy new displays they use on everything except the 4 top of the line models) is a step backwards.

But, aside from features and recent decisions, Yamaha gear will pretty much keep on going.

This was my first piece of Yamaha "gathering":
A BNIB Yamaha HTR-5730. It was actually a HTIB that came with a 5.1 speaker package. I do not remember the nomenclature of the HTIB model number.

Well built, compact receiver. Ended up selling the 5.1 speakers and bought some BIC's to replace them (see, not great HTIB speakers, but the sub was decent, and it got sold last.) Had fair enough quantity of inputs at the time, and was powerful enough to drive my old BIC-American's pretty painlessly (but they were the most efficient driving speakers I've ever owned).

Recap, $300 and sold the speakers for $80 IIRC. Not too bad really.
Then, I sold/traded it for a Onkyo TX-DS787. Expensive when new, but I was getting it used. A bit of cosmetic damage, but nothing horrid. It was definitely a bigger powerhouse, but the analog section was horrid. I've been around the block with receivers, and that by far is still the worst I've listened to analog wise. Maybe it was my particular unit, or something happened inside of it, but it was awful. I've had older Pioneers (still have an SX-626), a somewhat odd and rare RCA Dimensia Pre/Pro matching set, my current Yamaha DSP-A1000, an old Sony Dolby Pro Logic receiver that spit out 60wpc stereo, an older Onkyo that was two channel only, and my P2201 with a Adcom pre-amp (returned it because one channel was bad, but the good channel was kick-arse). Out of all (maybe except the Adcom, but it's ruled out) of them, the 787 was pretty disappointing.

I drifted awhile out in audio ocean (it's near the Red Sea :p ), and eventually I came across my now beloved DSP-A1000. Yes, it's not a modern 5.1 receiver and yes, it has no digital input, but it was 50 pounds of monster receiver bliss. When I saw it at the pawn shop, and then picked her up, I knew that this was not an ordinary piece of amplification. I saw the $60 price tag and was surprised, UNTIL I learned that something was wrong with the pre-amp.

When the volume knob was turned up all the way, there was barely any audible sound from the speakers. You're thinking low noise floor, but no. It was hooked up to a working CD player, and the tired old girl just whispered at maximum volume.

At this point, most people would probably run away from "this old piece of junk". I took a risk and bought the thing anyway :D .

I took her home to my place, got her dru--- wait what? :D
I did take her home to my workstation, and cleaned the outside of her up as much as possible. Sure enough, she was a beauty. I did the cosmetic equivalent of taking a 3XXL large flannel shirt and stretch pants off of Emma Watson ;)

But, still, the problem with audio. As you can see, I paid for more than $60 in time, but only $10 for pot-cleaner! :D

Then it really began. I had an vintage Yamaha from the early 90's. What can I get that will function WELL and match the system?

Didn't have to look to hard or far for that answer. $15 later at another shop, I walked out with a TX-950, a CDV-1200K, and KX-W952 (tuner, LD player, and Tape Deck). ALL mint, and all worked PERFECTLY. (well, the Tape Deck is missing one knob......)

But not all have ended up so well. My CDX-900U was a great CD spinner, but I have reason to believe the laser is on it's way out. It's a great sounding unit, when it doesn't skip randomly. Built fairly heavily, but age has taken it's toll on this one. The old Magnavox CDB-460 (which I got in pretty sad shape for $10 and is now in Seth=L's hands again) did not do this, and it was a bit more beat on. However, it stands more testament to the excellent design of the Magnavox as a unit (and the transport in the 460, 560, and 650 were all amazing). But, because it was a Magnavox, the 460 and 560 have a tendency to kill the display. :(

And, I don't just buy Yamaha. For instance, my SACD player is a Sony. The SCD-CE595 is an excellent 5-disc CD/SACD player. Many people have reviewed it, and I find that 5 discs are more than enough to gobble at once. If you are a one disc a time person, go find an old Magnavox CDB-650. A lot cheaper, and more reliable.

My first (and only standalone DVD player) is a Sony. Cheap, slim, and regarded probably as crap nowadays..... still works. I bought it on a whim to take the load off my then dying PS2's disc tray to play DVD's. $75 bucks later, it's still not a bad spinner. In fact, besides the computer, this little crap box can read even the most badly damaged discs, no problems. Discs that would skip on the SACD player, the Magnavox, the Yamaha, even my PC on occasion, would play decent on this thin little box.

I have a mid to late 90's Mitsubishi VHS deck. One of the best VHS decks I've seen operate and playback a VHS tape... next to the JVC SVHS deck.

And, I also still have a awesome vintage Pioneer SX-626 that is built like a small tank.

So, in reality, it's mainly luck of the draw for me. I had one part, then I had four, now I look for more :D

But, if someone dangled a nice piece of gear, such as a Denon AVP-A1HDCI, no doubt I would take it. I would take it and use it like a dish towel. :D

But, also, why I like Yamaha, is that I think that they understand music as well. They used to be (and still are as far as I know) Japan's leading piano manufacturer (not so much electric, think Stienway and the likeness).
And, they make some awesome motorcycles to ride. I know, because I've ridden quite a few ;) (DT-1, DT-50, Seca 600, FZR-400 (race bike), FZR-600, and, who can forget the XS-650?)

All in all, I know they know how to make music and reproduce it. They have been in the business for a while and I'm pretty sure they aren't going anywhere.

//RANT :D
Nice story! Do you think the RX-V765 is worth considering, or still bad in your opinion?

Well, I just want to my local Fry's and listened to the NS-225F slim floorstanding speakers with a Yamaha AV receiver (maybe the RX-V1065). They sounded great, so clear. In my opinion, they sounded better than the other speakers there, although the Boston Acoustics were quite good, followed by Polk. Still the clearest sound came from the Yamahas.

There's a special for the NS-M225P acoustic bookshelf speakers, I think $80 for a pair at Newegg. Also the NS-6490 bookshelf speakers are around $94 from Amazon. Anyone listened to these? A local store also is offering $300 for a pair of NS-325F floorstanders. Seems like a great deal.

So just curious:

1. Anyone compared the Yamaha AV receivers to the stereo receivers (like RX-797) and the integrated amps (like AX-497) in terms of sound? I'm curious if the human ear can hear the difference between (a) AV receivers (supposed to be good sound), (b) stereo receivers (supposed to be better sound) and (c) integrated amps (supposed to be best sound)

2. Any Yamaha speaker recommendations?

Thanks!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis