Yamaha CX-A5200 and MX-A5200

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Cost aside, can anyone give me a compelling reason to "upgrade" from an RX-A3080 (which I use as a preamp) to the CX-A5200? One of the reasons I''d prefer the 5200 is not having the power consumption overhead of the internal amps of an AVR vs a dedicated pre-pro, assuming that the 3080 itself does not shut off the internal amps when an outboard amp is used (I'm not sure if this is the case or not).

I'm not as critical with music as I once was, but that said the 3080 sounds EXCELLENT to my ears in terms of overall sound quality with both music and movies. However, I swear every time I fire up the 3080, I always think about the unnecessary power consumpton of the internal amps, to the point that it's probably chronic, and moreso when I'm listening to 2-channel music since I have a dedicated 2-channel amp for the mains. I realize this might be a silly reason to upgrade, but either way I've always preferred a dedicated processor anyway. But if there's a noticeable difference in audio quality between the 3080 as a preamp and the 5200, then that'd definitely push me toward the 5200.

Thoughts?
Most likely splitting hairs. The 5100/200 has the better specs but whether your ears can discern the difference is impossible to tell.

The main reason for me would be longevity. I use a denon x3500 for a preamp on my 2 ch setup, and have zero complaints.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Cost aside, can anyone give me a compelling reason to "upgrade" from an RX-A3080 (which I use as a preamp) to the CX-A5200? One of the reasons I''d prefer the 5200 is not having the power consumption overhead of the internal amps of an AVR vs a dedicated pre-pro, assuming that the 3080 itself does not shut off the internal amps when an outboard amp is used (I'm not sure if this is the case or not).

I'm not as critical with music as I once was, but that said the 3080 sounds EXCELLENT to my ears in terms of overall sound quality with both music and movies. However, I swear every time I fire up the 3080, I always think about the unnecessary power consumpton of the internal amps, to the point that it's probably chronic, and moreso when I'm listening to 2-channel music since I have a dedicated 2-channel amp for the mains. I realize this might be a silly reason to upgrade, but either way I've always preferred a dedicated processor anyway. But if there's a noticeable difference in audio quality between the 3080 as a preamp and the 5200, then that'd definitely push me toward the 5200.

Thoughts?
The build quality may favor the CX-A5100 and 5200, but I don't think there is a difference in sound quality.

It's mainly just a difference in preference.

For my main system, I prefer using "separates". For all other systems, I use AVRs, which to me sound as awesome at the end of the day.

R

red_5ive

Enthusiast
Most likely splitting hairs. The 5100/200 has the better specs but whether your ears can discern the difference is impossible to tell.

The main reason for me would be longevity. I use a denon x3500 for a preamp on my 2 ch setup, and have zero complaints.
Yeah, I seriously doubt I'd be able to tell the difference. On that note, I had an RX-V2085 (consumer version of the RX-A2080) temporarily in my main room (now in the mancave) before getting the A3080, and I can't tell the difference in sound using the same outboard amps. They both sound equally excellent as a preamp to my ears. I guess the jury's no longer out on the 5th foot ;) (j/k).

So by longevity you mean the processor, right?

The build quality may favor the CX-A5100 and 5200, but I don't think there is a difference in sound quality.

It's mainly just a difference in preference.

For my main system, I prefer using "separates". For all other systems, I use AVRs, which to me sound as awesome at the end of the day.
I guess that's the magic word right there. It definitely looks like this will be a preference thing for me, and for sure it would get rid of my chronic awareness of the internal amps always being on. It'd be nice to get back to a dedicated pre-pro, been almost 10 years since my last one.

Thanks, folks. I'll holler back when I make the decision, but if anyone else has any input I'm all ears... or eyes, rather. :cool:

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I guess that's the magic word right there. It definitely looks like this will be a preference thing for me, and for sure it would get rid of my chronic awareness of the internal amps always being on. It'd be nice to get back to a dedicated pre-pro, been almost 10 years since my last one.

Thanks, folks. I'll holler back when I make the decision, but if anyone else has any input I'm all ears... or eyes, rather. :cool:
Some of us gotta have separates NO MATTER WHAT! :D

Going separates makes sense for you because you already have the external amp, which just begs for a pre-pro. :D

R

red_5ive

Enthusiast
Some of us gotta have separates NO MATTER WHAT! :D

Going separates makes sense for you because you already have the external amp, which just begs for a pre-pro. :D
I won't argue that logic. The 5200 will be ready for pick up at my dealer on Feb 6th. :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I won't argue that logic. The 5200 will be ready for pick up at my dealer on Feb 6th. :D
Congrats on your CX-A5200. I believe you will be extremely happy with it as I am with my CX-A5100.

Feels good to be part of the Few, the Proud, the Audio Separatists. :D

I think AVR sound great and there is absolutely nothing wrong with just using AVR. But I’ve been using separates since the start of my audio hobby.

P

poleepkwa

Audioholic Intern
Having seen the review and measurements by Gene, I would conclude that the LR outputss are best used from the RCA's. I have Hypex uCD monoblocks and the recommend input method for those are XLR. I have currently XLR-XLR and RCA-XLR cables. What would you guys recommend I use? My runs are pretty short, less that 2 meters.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Having seen the review and measurements by Gene, I would conclude that the LR outputss are best used from the RCA's. I have Hypex uCD monoblocks and the recommend input method for those are XLR. I have currently XLR-XLR and RCA-XLR cables. What would you guys recommend I use? My runs are pretty short, less that 2 meters.
CX-A5200 THD measurements from Front L/R XLR:

0.005% THD @ 2Vrms (up to 315 Watts/8ohm or 630W/4 ohm if amp has gain of 28dB, which includes most amps). For 26dB Amps, that's up to 200W/8ohm or 400W/4ohm.

0.015% THD @ 4Vrms.

If your amp has a gain of 26dB, it can output up to 200 watts/8 ohms or 400W/4 ohms with 2Vrms = THD 0.005% using XLR.

1. How much power is your Amp? If it’s 200W, then it won’t need more than 2Vrms, which means THD = 0.005% using XLR.

2. Even if it required an unusually high voltage of 4Vrms, do you really think your human hearing can tell the difference between a THD of 0.015% and 0.005%?

So I would personally use the XLR regardless. But ultimately it doesn’t matter at all.

P

poleepkwa

Audioholic Intern
My amps are 26db gain and 400w@4ohm, so 2V is plenty. I like XLR connectors myself and would probably start to use that. This was one of the initial reasons to take the CX-A5200. I am not sure why Bruno is is so adamant about using XLR's for those Hypex amps. Wonder if it has something to do with their immunity to noise? Have to read more...

Last edited:
P

poleepkwa

Audioholic Intern
New 1.8 firmware update arrived for me last night. Could not find any info about it. Does anyone know what changed?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I have not heard of this latest firmware either.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
My amps are 26db gain and 400w@4ohm, so 2V is plenty. I like XLR connectors myself and would probably start to use that. This was one of the initial reasons to take the CX-A5200. I am not sure why Bruno is is so adamant about using XLR's for those Hypex amps. Wonder if it has something to do with their immunity to noise? Have to read more...
26 dB gain is a little low. In that case 2 V will get you just under 200W into 8 ohms and just under 400 W into 4 ohms.

B

Brettc

Audioholic
My 3080 updated but can’t find any difference

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Updates on a receiver don't modify audio performance. They are released mostly for improving stability of the operation.

R

RickyT

Audioholic Intern
Hello!

I’m a long-time lurker, and have been reading AH reviews for 20 years. I've owned some of the same gear as Gene.

I just read this entire thread. After 6 years with Audyssey XT32 (Marantz 7008 < 7702mk2 > 7704 now), I want to try something different and leaning towards getting the cxa5200.

My Atmos 5.2.4 13'x10' mancave is an extra bedroom. I just got a floor to ceiling corner bass trap from Gik Acoustics (see pics). I have more bass traps and acoustic treatments coming from them.

I would connect the Yamaha via XLR to my 5 Focal Solo 6BE powered studio monitors (they are XLR only) and via RCA to 2 Citation 7.1 four channel amps that drive my Earthquake 15inch front & NHT 12inch rear passive subwoofers and 4 Focal Sib Atmos speakers.

Given the issue with the front L & R XLR preouts: do you know if I would need more than 2V to drive my Focal Solo6s? They each have two BASH amps: 150W for woofer and 100W for tweeter (see page 10 in owners manual link below).

I do have two 2M RCA to XLR cables that I can use for front L & R speakers.

https://www.focal.com/sites/www.focal.fr/files/shared/catalog/document/notice_solo6_twin6_sub6_web_0.pdf

Thanks in advance!
Back wall.jpgFront wall.jpgLeft wall (with Neo).jpgRear right corner bass trap.jpgRight wall.jpg

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Given the issue with the front L & R XLR preouts: do you know if I would need more than 2V to drive my Focal Solo6s?
Depends on what you would consider an "issue".

At 4V, the CX-A5200 has a THD+N of 0.015%.

So if you think you can actually hear distortion at 0.015%, then there might be an "issue".

And even if you can hear distortion of 0.015%, if your amp has a low voltage gain of 26dB (most amps have a 28dB gain), 2V could output up to about 200W into 8 ohms or 400W into 4 ohms.

So if your amp is 100W/150W with voltage gain of 26dB, then 2V is all you need anyway.

R

RickyT

Audioholic Intern
Depends on what you would consider an "issue".

At 4V, the CX-A5200 has a THD+N of 0.015%.

So if you think you can actually hear distortion at 0.015%, then there might be an "issue".

And even if you can hear distortion of 0.015%, if your amp has a low voltage gain of 26dB (most amps have a 28dB gain), 2V could output up to about 200W into 8 ohms or 400W into 4 ohms.

So if your amp is 100W/150W with voltage gain of 26dB, then 2V is all you need anyway.
LOL. I guess it might only be an issue if I'm cranking it up for an action packed dynamic scene. I also can't easily find out the Focal amp's gain (customer support doesn't know).

I see you also own the 3080. Does the 3080 have the same digital preamp section as the 5200? I only have two main sources, both thru hdmi: Nvidia shield pro and Sony x800mk2 4k bluray player.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
LOL. I guess it might only be an issue if I'm cranking it up for an action packed dynamic scene. I also can't easily find out the Focal amp's gain (customer support doesn't know).

I see you also own the 3080. Does the 3080 have the same digital preamp section as the 5200? I only have two main sources, both thru hdmi: Nvidia shield pro and Sony x800mk2 4k bluray player.
Gene said the A3080 is "immune" to the XLR issue (Front L/R Output 4V THD of 0.015%) of the A5200.

I doubt there is any kind of issue in real life situations with either the A5200 or A3080.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis