Yamaha CX-A5200 and MX-A5200

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I love Yamaha, but I don't think we can compare the MX5200 amp with the ATI. :D

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Gotta have the Separates Pre-pros + Amps for my main room.
I was just thinking about ditching the external amps for my mains. But then you had to go and say that. Now I'm gonna have to hold onto the amps until sanity returns. Thanks.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
It reminds me of the Marantz 140 W and 150 W amps that look like AVR amps.
Yea the MX-A5000 is akin to the amps that were in their flagship RX-Z9 and 11 receivers. They aren't dreadnoughts like the big ATI amps but they do give you very good amplifier quality, and decent power for up to 11 channels in a single chassis. There are very few 10 or 11CH amplifier choices on the market. The only 10CH amp that I know of is the Gen3 Emotiva and I'd take this Yamaha over that any day of the week and twice on Sunday. If only ATI would come out with a 10-11CH amp then that would be quite compelling.

F

FocusedOne

Audiophyte
How does the Emotiva XPA-7 Gen3 stack up against the amps being discussed here, the MX-A5000 and ATI 1807? On paper it's a beast with 200 watts RMS/channel, 8 ohms, with seven channels driven; and 300 watts RMS/channel, 8 ohms, with 2 channels driven. I haven't had the opportunity to demo or compare any of these. Any other amps in this range worth consideration would be appreciated, too.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
How does the Emotiva XPA-7 Gen3 stack up against the amps being discussed here, the MX-A5000 and ATI 1807? On paper it's a beast with 200 watts RMS/channel, 8 ohms, with seven channels driven; and 300 watts RMS/channel, 8 ohms, with 2 channels driven. I haven't had the opportunity to demo or compare any of these. Any other amps in this range worth consideration would be appreciated, too.
Boils down to what speakers you have, how far you sit from the mains, and how loud you want to listen. There are numerous amps in the above class. I ordered this to power my new mains
https://www.qsc.com/cinema/products/power-amplifiers/dca-series/dca-1622/
$859 plus tax. 2ohm stable with good distortion numbers, THX certified

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Yea the MX-A5000 is akin to the amps that were in their flagship RX-Z9 and 11 receivers. They aren't dreadnoughts like the big ATI amps but they do give you very good amplifier quality, and decent power for up to 11 channels in a single chassis. There are very few 10 or 11CH amplifier choices on the market. The only 10CH amp that I know of is the Gen3 Emotiva and I'd take this Yamaha over that any day of the week and twice on Sunday. If only ATI would come out with a 10-11CH amp then that would be quite compelling.
I think if you’re limited on space, then a 10-11 CH amp is good.

Otherwise, I prefer a 5-7CH amp. For example, the AT2005 + AT2006 for 11CH (7.1.4) or AT2006 + AT2007 for 13CH (9.1.4), especially if you require more power than what the MX5000 offers. Definitely costs a lot more money, though. :D

And I would take the Yamaha MX5000 over the Emotiva in a heartbeat. :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
How does the Emotiva XPA-7 Gen3 stack up against the amps being discussed here
It depends on whether you like Emotiva or not. :D

But in terms of just power output, it’s closer to the ATI than the Yamaha.

As already mentioned, it depends on your System requirements.

The MX5000 will power most speakers in most 7.1.4 ATMOS systems. So personally I would take the MX5000 over the EMO.

F

FocusedOne

Audiophyte
I’m going to be running Def Tech BP9080s and CS9080 up front, BP 7002s for rears, pro monitor 1000s for surrounds, and a supercube 8000. 7.1.2 setup. I have an A3080 for now.

Last edited:
Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
Separates? Come on. Just get this and be done with it. You'll like it.

AVR-X8500H

One piece, internal fans, lots of power, lots of channels, lots of features, looks good, sounds good.

You're done. Enjoy.

little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
Separates? Come on. Just get this and be done with it. You'll like it.

AVR-X8500H

One piece, internal fans, lots of power, lots of channels, lots of features, looks good, sounds good.

You're done. Enjoy.

LOL, Wow....that is an absolute beast. Unless you are of the opinion that it is just plain better to separate processing and amplification, or you just want separates, it's easy to make a case for using something like this instead. I honestly wonder, in a blind listening test, how many here could actually tell the difference in sound between this and a separates system. That would be a fascinating experiment.

In fact, I think we should make it happen. Lets pick a central location that everybody can get to. Maybe somebody's house that has a great separates set-up. Then, somebody buy one of these...and we can all just sit around, drink a few beers and spend the day listening. Maybe we can get Gene to fund something like this :cool:.

Wouldn't that be a blast!!? Oh - and if we can determine a winner who can consistently identify the Denon....they get to take it home:)

F

FocusedOne

Audiophyte
The 8500 looks really nice, I may end up trying one at some point. It's rated at 150 watts/channel @ 8 ohms - so while it has more channels, it's really no more power than other current high-end AVRs like the A3080, right?

F

FocusedOne

Audiophyte
For those saying they would take the Yamaha over the Emotiva, why? Sound quality, build quality, reliability, ability to run more channels? I've read both run cool. I'm gathering that some just don't like Emotiva, but I'm wondering if that's based on performance or not liking the company?

If an amp and an AVR both have the same stated watts/channel, is the amp usually more powerful? I remember hearing this.

If there is no great power increase in the new MX-A5200, is it a better option to find a deal on an MX-A5000 since they will be phased out?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
If there is no great power increase in the new MX-A5200, is it a better option to find a deal on an MX-A5000 since they will be phased out?
Unless we can see actual measurements from AH or S&V that prove otherwise, I would assume the 5000 and 5200 are essentially the same in power output.

But if you have the RX3080, I don’t see the point of getting the MX5000.

Both will do fine for most cases except for some cases like 9CH Stereo Mode, Speakers with Low sensitivities, 15A house circuits, listening distance, volume.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Unless we can see actual measurements from AH or S&V that prove otherwise, I would assume the 5000 and 5200 are essentially the same in power output.

But if you have the RX3080, I don’t see the point of getting the MX5000.

Both will do fine for most cases except for some cases like 9CH Stereo Mode, Speakers with Low sensitivities, 15A house circuits, listening distance, volume.
I have to agree, look at the graphs below and it is obvious. Less than 20 W difference, measured by the same magazine. www.soundandvision.com

Same for my beloved Marantz MM8003 that I used to power the surround channels, it isn't even as good as my AVR-4308CI, but I was stupid enough to want to go separate. Good thing I simply love separates regardless even if they are just an AVR with the tuners and prepro removed.:D

For probably $300, one can do better getting an used AVR-4308CI and use it as an external power amp.

1535630505714.png

1535631088752.png

1535631234839.png

Attachments

TechHDS

Audioholic General
The 8500 looks really nice, I may end up trying one at some point. It's rated at 150 watts/channel @ 8 ohms - so while it has more channels, it's really no more power than other current high-end AVRs like the A3080, right?
Looks like the A3080 on the inside , as for EMO not being liked, some do some don’t. I believe I read somewhere EMO tends to leave out important specs on their amps. Gene reviewed several of their amps back in the day and they tested out very well. I and many others own EMO amps. I also should mention I owned several other manufacturers amps like Carver, Adcom and Parrsound. The only thing I don’t like about EMO gear is the cheese, like why put aluminum bars on each side of the amps.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Looks like the A3080, as for EMO not being liked, some do some don’t. I believe I read somewhere EMO tends to leave out important specs on their amps. Gene reviewed several of their amps back in the day and they tested out very well. I and many others own EMO amps. I also should mention I owned several other manufacturers amps like Carver, Adcom and Parrsound. The only thing I don’t like about EMO gear is the cheese, like why put aluminum bars on each side of the amps.
The platinum bars are ala McIntosh panlock system on their gear. I always assumed that's why they did the blue lights as well. That's the aesthetic that can be annoying, just doesnt look right to me for some reason, although I can certainly get past looks if performance is there :)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
1. For those saying they would take the Yamaha over the Emotiva, why? I'm gathering that some just don't like Emotiva, but I'm wondering if that's based on performance or not liking the company?

2. If an amp and an AVR both have the same stated watts/channel, is the amp usually more powerful? I remember hearing this.
1. In terms of performance, I think the EMO 200-300 WPC amps (and higher) are pretty good. But so are MANY other amps like Crown, QSC, Monolith, Outlaw.

ATI have made amps for many high-end companies like Mark Levinson, Lexicon, Cary Audio. ATI also own high-end brands like Theta Digital ($20K Pre-pros),DataSAT ($20K Pre-pros).

ATI make some amps for Outlaw Audio and the Monolith 7x200 Watt Amp.

So I would take the $1,600 Monolith 7x200 amp (made by ATI) any day over the $2,000 EMO XPA-7 amp.

2. It depends on the external amps. Amps like the Marantz MM8077 and Yamaha MX-A5200 cannot compete with amps like the ATI 200 WPC or Monolith 200 WPC or Outlaw 200 WPC or Pro amps from Crown, QSC, Yamaha.

If you don't care for aesthetics as much and are okay with the blue cheese aesthetics of Emotiva, you might also look at pro amps from Crown and QSC.

The Crown XLS amps are class-D and operate extremely efficiently and cool.

This is a hobby. A lot of times it's not about NEED. It's about other intangible things like pride of ownership, resale value.

Ever envy of high-end amps from Mark Levinson, Lexicon, and Theta Digital? How do you feel knowing that ATI have made amps for all of them?

Some people buy the Monolith amp knowing that it was also made by ATI, the same company in California that have made amps for these high-end companies.

Last edited:

TechHDS

Audioholic General
The platinum bars are ala McIntosh panlock system on their gear. I always assumed that's why they did the blue lights as well. That's the aesthetic that can be annoying, just doesnt look right to me for some reason, although I can certainly get past looks if performance is there :)
EverettT, I’ve never had a problem with any of Emotiva amps as for as reliability. As for the ones they sell now can’t say. Their 1st and 2nd gen amps are solid build, now as everyone who follows this technology knows that EMO made the power “switch“ thing plus their not as price friendly as they used to be. Their lower end amps are something I personally wouldn’t look at buying.

Mike

TechHDS

Audioholic General
1. In terms of performance, I think the EMO 200-300 WPC amps (and higher) are pretty good. But so are MANY other amps like Crown, QSC, Monolith, Outlaw.

ATI have made amps for many high-end companies like Mark Levinson, Lexicon, Cary Audio. ATI also own high-end brands like Theta Digital ($20K Pre-pros),DataSAT ($20K Pre-pros).

ATI make some amps for Outlaw Audio and the Monolith 7x200 Watt Amp.

So I would take the $1,600 Monolith 7x200 amp (made by ATI) any day over the $2,000 EMO XPA-7 amp.

2. It depends on the external amps. Amps like the Marantz MM8077 and Yamaha MX-A5200 cannot compete with amps like the ATI 200 WPC or Monolith 200 WPC or Outlaw 200 WPC or Pro amps from Crown, QSC, Yamaha.
Now if AVR’s would last 10, 15 years like amps would be nice. I mean you would think spending 1K or more on a AVR would get you at least10 years of service. After all it’s not like there’s a lot of moving parts on the inside. All it has to do is make sound.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis