Yamaha CX-A5200 and MX-A5200

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
CX-A5200 / 11.2-channel AV Preamplifier
Supreme Performance. Built from the ground up, this preamplifier processor delivers the best in performance and technology. Harness the latest technologies in audio and video in your theater and pair it with the MX-A5200 Amplifier for the ultimate experience.
  • 11.2-ch with balanced XLR outputs
  • Dolby Atmos and DTS:X up to 7.2.4-channel processing
  • Dual ESS SABRE PRO ES9026PRO Ultra DAC
  • Wi-Fi®, Bluetooth®, AirPlay®, Spotify Connect and MusicCast multi-room
  • Pandora®, Spotify, SiriusXM Internet Radio, TIDAL, Deezer, Napster and more
  • HDMI with HDCP 2.2 (7 in/3 out)
  • 4K Ultra HD, HDR10, Dolby Vision™, Hybrid Log-Gamma and BT.2020
  • Voice control using your Alexa device like Echo or Echo Dot
  • Surround:AI™ technology automatically optimizes the sound in real-time
  • YPAO R.S.C. with 3D, 64-bit precision EQ calculation and angle measurement
  • Phono input

MX-A5200 / 11-Ch Power Amplifier
Supreme Power. Engineered to deliver on power and performance, this amplifier harnesses the best in power performance that drives from a technological engineering marvel. Featuring the highest quality in components for amplifiers, pair it with the CX-A5200 AV Preamplifier Processor for the ultimate theater experience.
  • 150 W per Channel (8 ohms, 20Hz - 20kHz, 0.6% THD, 2-ch driven)
  • Yamaha engineered toroidal transformer and custom block capacitors
  • Power amp with three-stage Darlington circuit
  • Bridge-Tied Load (BTL) support

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Doesn’t seem to be a significant difference between the CX-A5100 and CX-A5200. Same HDMI 2.0 and number of channels (11). The CX5200 gets AI Surround and a newer DAC, but both DAC have the same Dynamic Range and THD.

CX-A5100: ESS Sabre ES9016 DAC (32-bit, 8-channel, 124dB dynamic range (DNR),and -110dB total harmonic distortion plus noise (THD+N)

CX-A5200: ESS Sabre ES9026 DAC (32-bit, 8-channel, 124dB dynamic range (DNR),and -110dB total harmonic distortion plus noise (THD+N)
Public Announcement - August 27

Availability (shipping):
CX-A5200 - October 2018
MX-A5200 - December 2018

Last edited:
Bookmark

Bookmark

Full Audioholic
Thanks for the update. Looks like we both can give this a pass. :) I am surprised they have not gone with the 6 overheads though.

Hopefully September will give a clearer idea about the MX A5200 insides and multi channel capabilities.

TechHDS

Audioholic General
Doesn’t seem to be a significant difference between the CX-A5100 and CX-A5200. Same HDMI 2.0 and number of channels (11). The CX5200 gets AI Surround and a newer DAC, but both DAC have the same Dynamic Range and THD.

CX-A5100: ESS Sabre ES9016 DAC (32-bit, 8-channel, 124dB dynamic range (DNR),and -110dB total harmonic distortion plus noise (THD+N)

CX-A5200: ESS Sabre ES9026 DAC (32-bit, 8-channel, 124dB dynamic range (DNR),and -110dB total harmonic distortion plus noise (THD+N)

Availability (shipping):
CX-A5200 - October 2018
MX-A5200 - December 2018
The A3080 has all the same plus amps. Sooo umm save yourself 1K and be done with it. :p

Mike

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
We'll have to wait another 3 years to see if any real changes are made. :D

Yeah, both the 5200 Pre-pro and Amp look almost identical in aesthetics, features, and spec to the 5100.

Extremely minor upgrade.

The prices are different.

The CX-A5200 is $2700, the MX-A5200 is $2900.

When the CX-A5100 came out, it was $3,000, then the price decreased to $2500 in 2018. The MX-A5000 was $3000, then decreased to $2500.

I like Yamaha, but any 11CH amp that goes into protection mode when more than 5CH is driven is not my kind of amp. :D

I definitely don't think it's worth the extra prices for the newer models.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
The A3080 has all the same plus amps. Sooo umm save yourself 1K and be done with it. :p

Mike
Haha. Gotta have the Separates Pre-pros + Amps for my main room. ;)

The AVRs can be for my other rooms. :D

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator

Availability (shipping):
CX-A5200 - October 2018
MX-A5200 - December 2018
Yea I'm a bit underwhelmed by this announcement. I was hoping they'd upgrade to 13.2, offer an option to recombine LFE to the main channels, and offer an upgrade path to HDMI 2.2. The amp is virtually the same though you can now bridge the front channels for seemingly 2X the power.

These are not mindblowing upgrades to be certain. Hopefully the HDMI switching is faster on the 5200 as it's often slugging on my 5100. We are working on a preview article now, and hope to get more inner details beyond what's on their website.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
We'll have to wait another 3 years to see if any real changes are made. :D

Yeah, both the 5200 Pre-pro and Amp look almost identical in aesthetics, features, and spec to the 5100.

Extremely minor upgrade.

The prices are different.

The CX-A5200 is $2700, the MX-A5200 is $2900.

When the CX-A5100 came out, it was $3,000, then the price decreased to $2500 in 2018. The MX-A5000 was $3000, then decreased to $2500.

I like Yamaha, but any 11CH amp that goes into protection mode when more than 5CH is driven is not my kind of amp. :D

I definitely don't think it's worth the extra prices for the newer models.
I've been using the MX-A5000 to power all the speakers in my 11.2 system except the mains and believe it or NOT, it's more than capable. I've never observed any noticeable power limiting and the amp never overheated or enabled the fans even when I was slamming it with a Porcupine Tree Blu-ray. It's definitely a good multi-ch amp, better than I imagined from bench tests alone.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Gotta ask, how them RBH’s ya got stay on top of them RBH subs? I mean what keeps them from sliding off?

Mike
Oh, they are very stable and heavy. They don't move much. :D

The SX-T2 come with clamps and the SVT towers come with screw-brackets for the rears.

But I don't use any of those things. They are already stable.

Bookmark

Bookmark

Full Audioholic
I still have this nagging feeling the underwhelming nature of 5200 is Yamaha's means of dealing with the Dolby License changes more than anything else. In that the change may have needed to be done to "current" 2018/19 models. With the 5200 release, the 5100 would be exempt and everyone could still be happy. :)

I do not see this model around for 3 years. Who knows it might actually increase the resale for 5100s. :eek:

Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General

MX-A5000
It looks like it is a well-built amplifier.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi

MX-A5000
It looks like it is a well-built amplifier.
It looks good.

The power is good enough for most speakers and most uses, except for things like 9CH Stereo mode and speakers that dip down below 3 ohms. :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I do not see this model around for 3 years.
You think they'll replace the CX-A5200 with the CX-A5300 sooner than 3 years?

Unless a new tech/format is released (everyone owns 8K TV and 8K BD), I don't see much else to upgrade to.

People's room sizes won't be increasing in sizes any time soon, so I don't get the need for adding more speakers (16Ch).

Regarding resale value, releasing a new model number every year isn't doing current owners any favors. :D

little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
CX-A5200 / 11.2-channel AV Preamplifier
Supreme Performance. Built from the ground up, this preamplifier processor delivers the best in performance and technology. Harness the latest technologies in audio and video in your theater and pair it with the MX-A5200 Amplifier for the ultimate experience.
  • 11.2-ch with balanced XLR outputs
  • Dolby Atmos and DTS:X up to 7.2.4-channel processing
  • Dual ESS SABRE PRO ES9026PRO Ultra DAC
  • Wi-Fi®, Bluetooth®, AirPlay®, Spotify Connect and MusicCast multi-room
  • Pandora®, Spotify, SiriusXM Internet Radio, TIDAL, Deezer, Napster and more
  • HDMI with HDCP 2.2 (7 in/3 out)
  • 4K Ultra HD, HDR10, Dolby Vision™, Hybrid Log-Gamma and BT.2020
  • Voice control using your Alexa device like Echo or Echo Dot
  • Surround:AI™ technology automatically optimizes the sound in real-time
  • YPAO R.S.C. with 3D, 64-bit precision EQ calculation and angle measurement
  • Phono input

MX-A5200 / 11-Ch Power Amplifier
Supreme Power. Engineered to deliver on power and performance, this amplifier harnesses the best in power performance that drives from a technological engineering marvel. Featuring the highest quality in components for amplifiers, pair it with the CX-A5200 AV Preamplifier Processor for the ultimate theater experience.
  • 150 W per Channel (8 ohms, 20Hz - 20kHz, 0.6% THD, 2-ch driven)
  • Yamaha engineered toroidal transformer and custom block capacitors
  • Power amp with three-stage Darlington circuit
  • Bridge-Tied Load (BTL) support

I know this is a stand alone amp and probably has a lot more power than a Yamaha 30XX receiver, but I am surprised to see the same specs as a receiver.
  • 150 W per Channel (8 ohms, 20Hz - 20kHz, 0.6% THD, 2-ch driven) and not all channels driven. It's probably a moot point, but it is interesting to me.
  • I guess I just choose not to allocate funds for separates, there is other stuff I want to spend money on more.

Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
It looks good.

The power is good enough for most speakers and most uses, except for things like 9CH Stereo mode and speakers that dip down below 3 ohms. :D
Besides the Yamaha, here's another choice:

ATI AT 1807

I would think that 7 channels should be enough for most people.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I know this is a stand alone amp and probably has a lot more power than a Yamaha 30XX receiver, but I am surprised to see the same specs as a receiver.
  • 150 W per Channel (8 ohms, 20Hz - 20kHz, 0.6% THD, 2-ch driven) and not all channels driven. It's probably a moot point, but it is interesting to me.
  • I guess I just choose not to allocate funds for separates, there is other stuff I want to spend money on more.
It reminds me of the Marantz 140 W and 150 W amps that look like AVR amps.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis