yamaha Avr with electric current on body

S

sand87

Audioholic
I purchased a Yamaha RXV-685 in June 2020.The screws,usb port,aux port or the insides of the vents of the Yamaha receiver is having small electricity.Its not something that will give a shock but yes it does give a tingling sensation if touched.So naturally i took a tester and when i tested i found the small current.Its not there on the whole body probably due to the paint.

I thought this could be a defect and hence called up the seller and he checked his personal device and also some other Yamaha AVRs and found the presence of this small residual current.He wasn't aware about this till i reported it on my device.

i just need to confirm for peace of mind if its only certain AVRs or if this is there on every Yamaha AVR which may suggest that its as intended and not actually a defect.

Please find the attached photos.Could Indian Yamaha users please confirm if this is the case with all their AVRs?

Please note that the BODY doesn't have any current due to the paint coating but only the screws and any metallic part like the inside of the vents and the usb port and if u connect an AUX and put a tester to the other end of the aux cable u will see this current.

only indian yamaha users could you please check and comment?

Attachments

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
Sounds like you have a grounding issue, which I would resolve as quickly as possible, before it damages some of the boards.

S

sand87

Audioholic
so why is it that the seller of this device also has this issue on his other AVRs.my only question is,is this a defect of the indian receiver.other than the diy grounding workaround would i need to gwt it repaired and any repair will it mess with the quality of a 1 month old device?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
so why is it that the seller of this device also has this issue on his other AVRs.my only question is,is this a defect of the indian receiver.other than the diy grounding workaround would i need to gwt it repaired and any repair will it mess with the quality of a 1 month old device?
It may or may not be an issue, but please confirm if you measured voltage or current. I know you wrote "current" but I want to be double sure. Either way, how did you measure it, and what was the measured value, in Volt if voltage and A, or mA if current, obviously. Also did the value change it the unit was power off, but still plugped in, versus power on, that is when you actually using it to listen to something.

nbk13nw

nbk13nw

Full Audioholic
What region was that particular unit manufactured for sales in?

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

S

sand87

Audioholic
It may or may not be an issue, but please confirm if you measured voltage or current. I know you wrote "current" but I want to be double sure. Either way, how did you measure it, and what was the measured value, in Volt if voltage and A, or mA if current, obviously. Also did the value change it the unit was power off, but still plugged in, versus power on, that is when you actually using it to listen to something.
i will answer one by one:-
1.first i experienced a slight tingling effect wen i happened to move the receiver while it was playing.
To confirm i took a screwdriver tester and tested all over.only on all the screws and inside of the vents and on usb ports and the aux and headphone port did the tester light up.Thats how i arrived at the conclusion its current.
2.i dont have any device in hand to measure it still.if smthng needs to be checked i am more than happy to purchase it and give it a go.just let me know wat i need and how to do that.
3.when the unit is connected but the power switch is off--->no issue.tester doesnt light up

when power switch on and the receiver in standby mode-->yes there is current

now switch on the receiver using the remote.now the tester detects current everywhere.

just for info.watever be it but isnt it abnormal to even have leakage current on the screws and metal prts?

Last edited:
S

sand87

Audioholic
What region was that particular unit manufactured for sales in?

its made in malasyia and i bought from amazon fulfilled seller in india who claims to be authorized yamaha dealer.now did he sell
me questionable stuff is smthng i dont know

i did contact the guy and he first was surprised but then checked two other devices of his and smone else and saw the same thing.even videocalled me to show the same.

nbk13nw

nbk13nw

Full Audioholic
its made in malasyia and i bought from amazon fulfilled seller in india who claims to be authorized yamaha dealer.now did he sell
me questionable stuff is smthng i dont know

i did contact the guy and he first was surprised but then checked two other devices of his and smone else and saw the same thing.even videocalled me to show the same.
Is there a difference in phase / voltage / grounding between the Malaysia market and your geographical market?

S

sand87

Audioholic
Is there a difference in phase / voltage between the Malaysia market and your geographical market?

both are 220-240 volts.diff in phase am not aware

S

sand87

Audioholic
Can you call them?
none.the numbers are either not reachable or it will ring and get disconnected.and they are not even cust care numbers.its head offixe and branch office.anyways am going to send legal notice to them

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
ha ha ha.they sent me their website link to find the service centre.thats how pathetic it is here
Have you tried contacting them via e-mail? You will have to register the product and create an account.

S

sand87

Audioholic
Have you tried contacting them via e-mail? You will have to register the product and create an account.
ya that is when they sent this back.let me get you the screenshot.
yes.i know that u may feel its impossible if u r in the US.i had already registerd and sent them the issue in detail and asked for replacement as this is a new device.See the attachment of the response i got after 4 or 5 days

Attachments

S

sand87

Audioholic

yes.i know that u may feel its impossible if u r in the US.i had already registerd and sent them the issue in detail and asked for replacement as this is a new device.See the attachment of the response i got after 4 or 5 days
most probably by monday i will be sending them a legal notice to respond to a replacement or return request.if they dont i will have to look at my options.lets see wat happens.it may not bring any respite to me but we wud have bought this to yamahas attention and probably they will take care of this issue in future models.This madness should stop with my loss.no one after me shud suffer at the hands of yamaha

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai

That's surprising. Here in the USA they usually contact you, via e-mail, with more detailed information or request you contact them via a phone to their Tech Support Center.

How far is the closest Yamaha service center? Reasonably close by?

I can't stress enough that you unplug it before it does some internal damage to the boards and voids your warranty.

Good luck.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I also wonder if the service level from Yamaha is partly due to current Covid shutdowns?

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Im curious to know if the vendor for Amazon is indeed an authorized dealer. Judging by Yamaha's response, I'm leaning towards no.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis