Yamaha AVENTAGE 2021 AV Receivers Bulk Up on Power and 8K Features

G

Golfx

Full Audioholic
I did read elsewhere about the Apple TV 4K Gen 2 audio issue. Still using a Gen 1 here. The Roku Ultra HDCP issue is a new one. I’ve never had an issue with it. Though, 24Hz playback on Disney+ does not work and the HBO MAX app decided to give up on Dolby Vision and does not support 24Hz playback either. Flip between TV apps and the Apple TV 4K these days.
Gen1 Apple TV 4K also has the problem since 15.4.1 update.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Have been fortunate and never had that issue. But, other bugs come up with every update it seems.

Padinn

Padinn

Junior Audioholic
I'm curious if its just with the lg c9 and Xbox. I've had intermittent handshaking issues since it launched even when using eARC. My a8a arrived with the top foam in the box completely shattered, so I'm wondering if its time to go the rma route. That said it works most of the time so it feels like its a software issue.

Padinn

Padinn

Junior Audioholic
Overall I'm happy with the progress the firmware is making. I haven't used my Xbox much but for youtube recently, so I'm going to try a movie and see how it goes.

P

PacketofCrisps

Audioholic Intern
So this new update doesn't support the new VRR features that the PS5 has been updated with recently? is VRR coming eventually?

edit -

Yep, no VRR support, very frustrating, guess I'm plugging my PS5 back into my TV then :-(

Last edited:
OldAndSlowDev

OldAndSlowDev

Senior Audioholic
So this new update doesn't support the new VRR features that the PS5 has been updated with recently? is VRR coming eventually?

edit -

Yep, no VRR support, very frustrating, guess I'm plugging my PS5 back into my TV then :-(
It’s coming with a new firmware update. But no ETA

P

PacketofCrisps

Audioholic Intern
Well that's what I'm worried about, no ETA, I just hope we don't end up in a scenario where eventually now models are released that support the full feature set where we're left waiting.

AVR Enthu

AVR Enthu

Full Audioholic
Well that's what I'm worried about, no ETA, I just hope we don't end up in a scenario where eventually now models are released that support the full feature set where we're left waiting.
They can't release new models until they get all features on this gen right finally. It's absurd for Yamaha to even think about doing that. The first test for fully featured model will be AVP 5300. Its board should work fully out of the box. No ifs, no buts.

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
For anyone interested in a Yamaha RX-A3060 there is one for sale on AVS forums for $650!!

OldAndSlowDev

OldAndSlowDev

Senior Audioholic

My ears don't suck! I was right to find it was performing really well...

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi

My ears don't suck! I was right to find it was performing really well...
YPAO already worked in the past in terms of making the FR graphs look more linear. Like all room correction software, some rooms and speakers will have better results than others.

But whether the better-looking frequency response SOUNDS better than the worse-looking frequency response is very subjective. Sure, they will sound differently. But is "different" the same as "better"? :D

I will say the same thing about every Room Correction software I've heard - sure the graphs look better, but whether they actually sound better is subjective.

The best recommendation about all room correction is to give them a try and always choose whatever sounds best to you subjectively.

Here is another question - does physically SEEING the actual Frequency Graphs introduce BIAS? Seeing the better looking graphs will cause you to think that it sounds better? :D

E

EBN

Audioholic
Yamaha is going to have hard time if D&M gets optional Dirac Live next year. :( Most owners of Yamaha doesn´t run the web setup and tweak manually with REW & usb mic & laptop. They do the automatic YPAO setup and the results aren`t comparable what you get with MultEQ XT32, Dirac Live, ARC Genesis. In such case external eq device is needed for subwoofer.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Yamaha is going to have hard time if D&M gets optional Dirac Live next year. :( Most owners of Yamaha doesn´t run the web setup and tweak manually with REW & usb mic & laptop. They do the automatic YPAO setup and the results aren`t comparable what you get with MultEQ XT32, Dirac Live, ARC Genesis. In such case external eq device is needed for subwoofer.
I hope every company gets DIRAC. Then there wouldn't be any arguments about which Room Correction is better. :D

Last edited:
D

Dezed

Enthusiast
Btw @OldAndSlowDev i have Dolby atmos on PC working with supported games. Try out Gears 5, it works! I can see atmos/pcm on the status bar and see the presence speakers activated on the output status screen in straight mode. Not sure if it was the firmware or windows update fixed it but it’s working !

diablo676

diablo676

Junior Audioholic
A couple of weeks ago I added a MiniDSP DDRC88A Dirac unit and external amps to my A8A after being pleased with the results of a similar mod on my lounge A2080 system.
Dirac is set up on LCR, surrounds and front heights. This is done without the A8A being involved at all. The DDRC88A is then connected to the appropriate pre-outs.
I have setup Scene One for Pattern 1 by having Dirac turned on and then running YPAO to time align the speakers. The actual changes it makes to the frequency response are very minimal - and can be wiped out using the manual EQ settings.
Scene Two uses Pattern 2 - which is setup in YPAO with the Dirac OFF.
I find it difficult to tell the difference between the two settings in terms of actual frequancy response. With Dirac on the response is much flatter if you look at the REW graph - but it is difficult to tell the difference in actuality.
What does make a difference - and a really big difference - is how the impulse response is changed by Dirac. Everything much sharper, cleaner sounding. I generally prefer it that way. After I got used to it in the lounge I didn't want to miss out in the cinema room. :)

Good job it does sound better as it cost me over £2000 to add it. :D Maybe I ought to have gone Arcam in the first place. Though the A8A gives me masses of flexibility, which I like - some things sound better with the Dirac off and I have the YPAO for that.

It would be good if Yamaha did offer it in future, though I don't see it happening.

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
1. Dirac turned on - The actual changes it makes to the frequency response are very minimal

2. Dirac OFF - I find it difficult to tell the difference between the two settings (Dirac vs YPAO) in terms of actual frequancy response.

3. With Dirac on the responce is much flatter - but it is difficult to tell the difference in actuality.

4. impulse response is changed by Dirac. Everything much sharper, cleraner

5. some things sound better with the Dirac off and I have the YPAO for that.
I thought you said the changes to the Frequency Response was MINIMAL? Yet you said the response is MUCH FLATTER with Dirac on?

You said it is difficult to tell the difference in actuality (meaning actual Sound Quality?) between Dirac vs YPAO? Then you said everything sounds much sharper and cleaner with Dirac?

Some things sound better with Dirac, but some things sound better with YPAO?

It does not seem that Dirac is worth the money or trouble given these statements.

Am I totally misinterpreting these statements?

Last edited:
diablo676

diablo676

Junior Audioholic
I thought you said the changes to the Frequency Response was MINIMAL? Yet you said the response is MUCH FLATTER with Dirac on?

You said it is difficult to tell the difference in actuality (meaning actual Sound Quality?) between Dirac vs YPAO? Then you said everything sounds much sharper and cleaner with Dirac?

Some things sound better with Dirac, but some things sound better with YPAO?

It does not seem that Dirac is worth the money or trouble given these statements.

Am I totally misinterpreting these statements?
Maybe I can explain a little more clearly. I can see why it doesn't seem to make sense. :)

If I were to do a REW frequency sweep of the Dirac and also the non-Dirac YPAO, then applied the 'psychoacoustic' smoothing option there would be little difference between them. Yes, the raw Dirac is much smoother but doesn't actually sound much smoother due to the way our hearing works.

What isn't shown by the frequency graphs is the impulse response. I will quote from the Dirac website -

Impulse response correction
A loudspeaker’s impulse response affects clarity, detail, and all spatial aspects of the sound. Dirac Live® is unique in that it corrects the impulse response throughout the listening area, not just at a single point. By focusing on consistent problems across the measurement positions and correcting only these anomalies, Dirac Live® can achieve a faster decay time. Typically, the power ratio between the direct wave and the tail (later-arriving echoes) is improved by 6 dB or more, resulting in a vastly improved overall sound.

This illustration is from the Dirac website, it shows the normal pulse followed by the corrected one. I've seen the same thing happen with my measurements in REW -

Dirac-Live-Why-impulse-response-correction-matters-_03.jpg

It makes everything sound crisper. I didn't like the sound at first but then grew used to it. Dialogue is clearer in drama stuff. Music is also changed - often for the better - but with some music it seems to remove some 'atmosphere'.

I've read a lot about Dirac but only a few people seem to mention this - to me - blindingly obvious difference in sound.

I was actually delighted by the sound of my A8A before I had the Dirac option. So perhaps better to ignore my post and stay happy. :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
If I were to do a REW frequency sweep of the Dirac and also the non-Dirac YPAO, then applied the 'psychoacoustic' smoothing option there would be little difference between them. Yes, the raw Dirac is much smoother but doesn't actually sound much smoother due to the way our hearing works.

What isn't shown by the frequency graphs is the impulse response. It makes everything sound crisper.

I didn't like the sound at first but then grew used to it.

Dialogue is clearer in drama stuff. Music is also changed - often for the better - but with some music it (Dirac) seems to remove some 'atmosphere'.

A quote from this practical real-life test:
“We’ve compared the Impulse Responses with physical speakers in a professional sound recording studio and, frankly, we are hard put to it to detect which is which, even under optimal listening conditions.”

It seems Impulse Response is just another speaker measurement among many.

From one audio expert:

“In over 30 years of designing loudspeakers, I have found the following measurements taken as a group provide the strongest predictor of loudspeaker preference available to us today. These measurements are:
• On-axis frequency response
• Impulse response (IR)
• Cumulative spectral decay
• Polar response
• Step response
• Impedance
• Efficiency/Sensitivity
• Distortion
• Dynamics

Clearly, none of these measurements quantifies “musicality” or “transparency.” However, based on my experience, it is possible to relate these measurements either singly or in various combinations to some aspect of loudspeaker quality.”

IR is just one factor. Did Floyd Toole or other audio experts express much significance to IR compared to Frequency Response and other measurements? :D

Last edited:
diablo676

diablo676

Junior Audioholic

A quote from this practical real-life test:
“We’ve compared the Impulse Responses with physical speakers in a professional sound recording studio and, frankly, we are hard put to it to detect which is which, even under optimal listening conditions.”

It seems Impulse Response is just another speaker measurement among many.

From one audio expert:

“In over 30 years of designing loudspeakers, I have found the following measurements taken as a group provide the strongest predictor of loudspeaker preference available to us today. These measurements are:
• On-axis frequency response
• Impulse response (IR)
• Cumulative spectral decay
• Polar response
• Step response
• Impedance
• Efficiency/Sensitivity
• Distortion
• Dynamics

Clearly, none of these measurements quantifies “musicality” or “transparency.” However, based on my experience, it is possible to relate these measurements either singly or in various combinations to some aspect of loudspeaker quality.”

Maybe @shadyJ and @TLS Guy can comment on the overall importance of IR compared to all the other speaker measurements.

IR is just one factor. Did Floyd Toole or other audio experts express much significance to IR compared to Frequency Response and other measurements? :D
The main point of my first post was my view that a 'better' room correction system like Dirac did not make a really big difference when compared to YPAO. Floyd Toole and others have pointed out that the hearing system operates in frequency bands which minimise the perceived level of sound. Getting it roughly right is usually good enough for things to sound good. :)

I've noticed that several posters on this thread were happily using the YPAO Low Frequency setting, which does hardly anything to correct the room. Though running YPAO does the most important thing - which is to set the timing on all the speakers.

Though, after saying that the Dirac didn't make a big audible difference to the frequency response, why the hell did I spend thousands on it? Am I a complete divot?? :D It pleases me to think I'm not totally daft. Dirac does do something else to the sound.

Now this is totally off topic to the A8A but here is an experiment. I connected a PC directly to my DDRC24 Dirac box, which then output to an amp in 'pure direct' mode to my right lounge speaker. I then ran frequency sweeps in REW , one with Dirac on and the other with no room correction at all.

DiracTestFR.png

Now my right speaker is flat to +/-5dB (80Hz-20kHz) at my listening distance of 11 feet without correction. Dirac changes that to +/-3dB. Though very difficult to distinguish by ear. So it isn't that which makes things sound different withDirac On or Off.

This is the Impulse display without any room correction -

DiracOffImpulse.png

And here with Dirac ON -

DiracOnImpulse.png

Now I don't know exactly what they are doing to the signal to get that difference, but it does actually sound clearer. :)

OldAndSlowDev

OldAndSlowDev

Senior Audioholic
I just realized that when in surround decoder Auro-3D to upmix stereo music (which is my favorite listening mode), now the amp is automatically switching to Dolby Atmos if the source is Atmos. To me it’s perfection ! Using Apple Music, I automatically get Auro-3D for 2CH PCM and Atmos for Atmos track.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis