Yamaha AVENTAGE 2021 AV Receivers Bulk Up on Power and 8K Features

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I should've unplugged my RX-A4A first, would've saved me from having to rerun YPAO. I was Sooo happy when I powered it back on and all was good. Sure would've hated boxing it up to ship out for repair. I did try turning it off and back on. Did that 3 times still has no sound. That's when I pull the power cable off from the back of the AVR.
Something to take note off on almost all AVRs these days, even though you turn the power off on the unit VIA the remote, the thing is not completely turned off but in standby mode. So what ever state, it got itself into, it wont clear until you physical cut the power from the unit and let the power supply completely drain.

lc6

Junior Audioholic
This model is supposed to drain < 0.4W when in standby (IR only) mode. Which likely means that transient contents in all other circuitry, incl. DRAM and processor caches, are lost when it is powered off but still plugged into the power outlet. So, it is puzzling why @Replicant 7 was able to "fix the problem" by unplugging the unit from the power outlet. This sounds more like a static charge buildup issue, which affected input ports, esp. HDMI.

In my A6A even with the latest firmware, I keep experiencing a ~10-15 second delay before the sound is played via HDMI ARC when switching between series episodes in the same streaming app, or between apps or OTA channels. I thought it might be a problem with my Samsung TV (a 4k QLED 950D model from 2017), but other users on this forum reported a similar problem with other TVs. So, I conclude this is an issue with this AVR. Given Yamaha's history of not providing a proper firmware update for many months now, I am inclined to return it to the store (a week left). I do not want to be stuck with a model that cannot correctly support the enhanced 4k refresh rates or 8k (when I buy the next TV) in the future.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Sorry to hear about these bugs. Very frustrating when you drop good coin for this gear and run into issues. At least these new units are still under warranty, if it comes to that. It's a tough time to be in the market for any AVR right now, what with the long wait for availability and all. But first generation AVRs are another story...... I guess if you need one though you need one. I'm holding tight to my Yamaha 3060, and pray I get at least a few more years out of it.
I would be disappointed if our Yamaha's don't last 20 YEARS. :D

little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
I would be disappointed if our Yamaha's don't last 20 YEARS. :D
Well that would be just fine with me! I like the 3060 so much I've even thought about finding an RX A 3080 and purchase it as a backup, lol. As far as video passthrough goes i just don't see myself needing anything beyond, 4k, hdr and Dolby Vision, which the 3060 does.

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
This model is supposed to drain < 0.4W when in standby (IR only) mode. Which likely means that transient contents in all other circuitry, incl. DRAM and processor caches, are lost when it is powered off but still plugged into the power outlet. So, it is puzzling why @Replicant 7 was able to "fix the problem" by unplugging the unit from the power outlet. This sounds more like a static charge buildup issue, which affected input ports, esp. HDMI.

In my A6A even with the latest firmware, I keep experiencing a ~10-15 second delay before the sound is played via HDMI ARC when switching between series episodes in the same streaming app, or between apps or OTA channels. I thought it might be a problem with my Samsung TV (a 4k QLED 950D model from 2017), but other users on this forum reported a similar problem with other TVs. So, I conclude this is an issue with this AVR. Given Yamaha's history of not providing a proper firmware update for many months now, I am inclined to return it to the store (a week left). I do not want to be stuck with a model that cannot correctly support the enhanced 4k refresh rates or 8k (when I buy the next TV) in the future.
I'm fighting ARC on Hisense 4K 55" U6G right now. :mad: I'm getting no audio return to my AVR. Went into settings on TV and in audio settings it won't change to ARC it's stuck on TV speakers. I've done 3 factory resets still the same. This morning was AVR issues that's all good now after unplugging the power cable from the back of the AVR. Got up from a nap about an hour ago was watching OTA TV and AVR front display showed up, (TV Decoder off) that's when I discovered in audio settings of TV it went back to TV speakers. It won't let me change the setting to ARC.:mad: I'm digging through my extra cable's to see if I have a extra optical cable I'm going to try that.....::

Edit, Well after over an hour fighting my TV to get ARC to work, and 3 hard resets. Finally got the remote to switch in audio settings from TV speaker to ARC. That was the only settings I couldn't change. I bet it was the Russians that hacked my sh$t!

Last edited:
3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
This model is supposed to drain < 0.4W when in standby (IR only) mode. Which likely means that transient contents in all other circuitry, incl. DRAM and processor caches, are lost when it is powered off but still plugged into the power outlet. So, it is puzzling why @Replicant 7 was able to "fix the problem" by unplugging the unit from the power outlet. This sounds more like a static charge buildup issue, which affected input ports, esp. HDMI
Clearly, there's enough power in standby mode to keep the AVR in a wonky state once it enters that state. That is why they need to be unplugged. If it were static buildup, unplugging the AVR would not clear the static charge since there is no path to ground. Its not a static buildup.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Well that would be just fine with me! I like the 3060 so much I've even thought about finding an RX A 3080 and purchase it as a backup, lol. As far as video passthrough goes i just don't see myself needing anything beyond, 4k, hdr and Dolby Vision, which the 3060 does.
Just a word of caution, the RX-A3080 does not support a 6.x.x layout. Its either 5.x.x or 7.x.x. If you don't use 6.x.x., then go ahead with the 3080 and forget I wrote this. :p

little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
Just a word of caution, the RX-A3080 does not support a 6.x.x layout. Its either 5.x.x or 7.x.x. If you don't use 6.x.x., then go ahead with the 3080 and forget I wrote this. :p
I'm only running a simple 5.1 right now, so probably won't matter much. But I do love the look of the older models.

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
You gotta be one of the oldest AH members!! 2002! Who's the oldest member, do you know?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I have thought the same about the 9th Gen 3080.

But then I would think that by the 2nd Gen (RX-A6B) and especially 3rd Gen (RX-A6C), the Yamaha will have resolved every bug. :D

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
Top of the morning to ya Yamaha Clones!!:D Yep gotta be them dam Russians that hack my sh$t yesterday. All's good now. I couldn't sign into my Google account for some reason. Kept telling me when I would try to sign in, (check your connection) wouldn't get my two-step verification code from Google. So this morning after my head cleared up I found my lil black book with all my passwords and my 10 codes to use to get into my account. When I did the factory reset on the TV last all info was wiped. Gotta have a Google account to access Google Play store on the TV.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
You gotta be one of the oldest AH members!! 2002! Who's the oldest member, do you know?
Discussions were well underway by the time I showed up to the scene. I have seen a lot of faces come and go and dont remember the ones that left but for a couple.

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
Discussions were well underway by the time I showed up to the scene. I have seen a lot of faces come and go and dont remember the ones that left but for a couple.
Isn't that before smartphones where even on the scene? Back in 2002, about all I had was BlackBerry phone.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Isn't that before smartphones where even on the scene? Back in 2002, about all I had was BlackBerry phone.
That was a smart phone, better built than the Apple/Samsung crap and was far more secure than anything else in the market. Unfortunately, the aholes running the company were so blinded by their initial success that they did not have the foresight to augment its business capabilities with user community in terms of app development, games, etc. I knew they were finished as a company when they chose to ignore the leisure (games and other apps) side.

little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
Hey!! Bro! Where you been!! Been busy huh? Anyways I see you been a AH member since 2005! 17 years! I found one other AH member that signed up back in 2002. Wonder who's the oldest AH member, besides Gene
2005? It's been that long. Time flies. I think I had a $200 Sanyo receiver then, LOL. I pop in from time to time, but actually most of time in this hobby is spent listening to music or watching a good movie or something.

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
Could it be something with HDMI handshake or is it application specific?
After over an hour last night fighting to get my Hisense 55 U6G ARC in settings to get set from tv speaker cause it was stuck and wouldn't let me move to ARC to set it on. I believe you may be right about CEC hand shake issue. That's one theory, only because I can't prove it was actually that. But after getting the tv back up after 3 hard resets, setting up Google account again on the tv I couldn't log into my Google account. Google kept telling to to check my internet connection. Which I knew was good. Tried again this morning to login to the Google account attached to the TV, kept telling me the same thing. So got out my lil black book with my 10 pass codes and Walla got in! Everything is running ok now. My 2nd theory is that the Russians hacked my sh&t man!! :mad: I put my money on that one!:);)

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
Are you saying that general (including audio) settings cannot be changed on Android TV without looging into Google account?
No, don't need to be logged in to Google account. After the 3rd hard reset, I skipped trying to setup Google account. In settings, see where it's says, TV speak? Well I couldn't cursor down to ARC.
IMG_20220327_125803874~2.jpg

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis