Yamaha AVENTAGE 2021 AV Receivers Bulk Up on Power and 8K Features

SithZedi

SithZedi

Audioholic General
Done! On to testing and setup.
BTW, many thanks Gene and all participants on this thread for your valuable opinions, discussion, and disagreements over the last few months.

Attachments

J

jakkedtide

Audioholic
I'm not sure how much you guys have read up on these but don't forget to register your unit for the additional 2 years of warranty here...

As far as I know thats only valid in the US. Canada doesn't offer that extra warranty

clone1008

clone1008

Full Audioholic
As far as I know thats only valid in the US. Canada doesn't offer that extra warranty
It's actually US and a few other countries (Australia, UK, Ireland, etc) but you're right Canada isn't included. I wasn't sure where these 2 were from.

Last edited:
J

jakkedtide

Audioholic
Shitty part of doing the test tones is that it cycles so fast from one speaker to the next. I wish you could leave just select the speaker manually and change when needed. Unless there is a way,?!

diablo676

diablo676

Junior Audioholic
Shitty part of doing the test tones is that it cycles so fast from one speaker to the next. I wish you could leave just select the speaker manually and change when needed. Unless there is a way,?!
If you mean what I think you mean then you can. Turn the test tones on - and leave them on when you go back to the speaker menu. The tones stop when you do that - but if you then go to levels they re-appear.

Also useful to have the tones on in configuration. The tones play on both speakers on front, surround etc. - so you can check if you get a central image.

J

jakkedtide

Audioholic
If you mean what I think you mean then you can. Turn the test tones on - and leave them on when you go back to the speaker menu. The tones stop when you do that - but if you then go to levels they re-appear.

Also useful to have the tones on in configuration. The tones play on both speakers on front, surround etc. - so you can check if you get a central image.
Never thought of moving to a different menu after turning test tones on. I will give it a try.

When I leave the test tone screen it turns off the test tone.

J

jakkedtide

Audioholic

Awesome, I left on then went into the speaker setting levels and they played. So much better than waiting for it to cycle around a million times. Omg I wasted soooo much time lol.

So we want everything to come out at 75db when the volume is at zero right? And then the subs we can have a bit louder or whatever your ears like?!

J

jakkedtide

Audioholic
If not using the internal test tones to set all the speakers with spl meter. Where do you get the source for something external?

diablo676

diablo676

Junior Audioholic
If not using the internal test tones to set all the speakers with spl meter. Where do you get the source for something external?
I use REW on a Windows laptop, connected by a HDMI cable to an unused port. To test all the lower level speakers you need to use the ASIO4ALL option - the standard Java setup only does stereo. Even ASIO4ALL doesn't do height speakers.

REW has a signal generator which provides all sorts of test tones, an SPL meter and oscilloscope. Dunno what I'd do without it. :)

Also runs on Mac, though they didn't have a version for my M1 MacBook when I last looked.

VASKION

VASKION

Audioholic
I have a question on using zone setting on A4A with speakers configuration 5.1.2+1Zone.

Is it possible to use Zone 2 pre-outs in one room and Zone 2 speakers output in another room (when using the speakers terminals the Atmos will be disabled in the main zone)?

If I do this will they output sound at the same time? Is there a separate setting to switch between zone pre-out and zone speaker terminals?

I ran through the manual but could not find an answer to this specific question...

Last edited:
Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
You guys read Gene's article on the f..kup mess on 2.1 HDMI? He posted it up early this morning. Plus he's gonna have a follow up on his YouTube channel. It's of those reasons why I didn't factor in the 2.1 BS when I went with my RX-A4A. It's still a big cluster f..k. Anyways my RX-A4A still going strong no issues.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
I have a question on using zone setting on A4A with speakers configuration 5.1.2+Zone1.

Is it possible to use zone pre-outs in one room and zone 1 speakers output in another room (when using the speakers terminals the Atmos will be disabled in the main zone)?

If I do this will they output sound at the same time? Is there a separate setting to switch between zone pre-out and zone speaker terminals?

I ran through the manual but could not find an answer to this specific question...
It seems you want a third zone that would be powered by an external amplifier while the Yamaha powers the Main Zone and Zone 2, yes? While the main channels are not to be connected via PRE OUT and Speaker Terminals simultaneously, there is nothing in the manual about connecting to the Zone 2 PRE OUT and the ZONE 2/BI-AMP(EXTRA SP. 1/F. PRESENCE) Speaker Terminals simultaneously that I could find in the manual. The 5.1.2 + 1 Zone assignment will knock out the height speakers when Zone 2 is ON and power the speakers in the second room but you should be able to power another set of speakers with an amplifier connected to the Zone 2 PRE OUT in a third room. Zone 2 and its externally powered twin will output the same source and, in some cases, will be forced to output the same source as the Main Zone. Try it at your own risk as I assume no responsibility for the outcome.;)

VASKION

VASKION

Audioholic
It seems you want a third zone that would be powered by an external amplifier while the Yamaha powers the Main Zone and Zone 2, yes? While the main channels are not to be connected via PRE OUT and Speaker Terminals simultaneously, there is nothing in the manual about connecting to the Zone 2 PRE OUT and the ZONE 2/BI-AMP(EXTRA SP. 1/F. PRESENCE) Speaker Terminals simultaneously that I could find in the manual. The 5.1.2 + 1 Zone assignment will knock out the height speakers when Zone 2 is ON and power the speakers in the second room but you should be able to power another set of speakers with an amplifier connected to the Zone 2 PRE OUT in a third room. Zone 2 and its externally powered twin will output the same source and, in some cases, will be forced to output the same source as the Main Zone. Try it at your own risk as I assume no responsibility for the outcome.;)
Well, basically yes - I was wondering whether I could get sound in a third room (zone) no matter if they both output the same (zone 2 and zone 3 but still be able to play something different in main zone).

So the question is: is the AVR going to detect that there is something plugged to both Zone 2 pre-out and Zone 2 speakers terminals and shut down one of them when Zone 2 is powered on?

Otherwise I could connect both outputs and switch between them via scenes buttons as it will remember speakers setup and so on (considering the fact that I will not have sound in both zone 2 and 3 at the same time which is OK). Just wondering what is the configuration for both setups as reading through the manual does not get very clear how the Zone 2 pre-outs are working exactly...

Edit: I guess the AVR will somehow detect if something is connected to the Zone 2 speakers terminals as it is supposed to disable height speakers in the main zone when Zone 2 is powered on...

Last edited:
T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
I believe the PRE OUT is tied to the speaker terminal and ON when the speaker assignment is set for + 1 Zone. You never know until you try, so connect it all up and just press the "Party" button on the remote control to send content to all of the rooms at once and see if it works. Again, I'm not the one to blame if it goes south.;)

clone1008

clone1008

Full Audioholic
You guys read Gene's article on the f..kup mess on 2.1 HDMI? He posted it up early this morning. Plus he's gonna have a follow up on his YouTube channel. It's of those reasons why I didn't factor in the 2.1 BS when I went with my RX-A4A. It's still a big cluster f..k. Anyways my RX-A4A still going strong no issues.
Actually Gene is a little late on this. TFT Central actually wrote an article about this back in December...

AVR Enthu

AVR Enthu

Full Audioholic
Actually Gene is a little late on this. TFT Central actually wrote an article about this back in December...
Yep. That article provoked a storm of condemnation across the board.
In essence: HDMI 2.0 does not exist anymore. All is HDMI 2.1, even 1080p displays. Utter nonsense and biggest anti-consumer move designed to completely confuse people o_O

Several monitor vendors will continue to post 2.0 on their spec in order to provide clarity.

AVR Enthu

AVR Enthu

Full Audioholic
ou guys read Gene's article on the f..kup mess on 2.1 HDMI? He posted it up early this morning.
Link?
Edit: Found it. Here is me response to it; somehting that I have discussed in several fora for over a year now.

Last edited:
J

jakkedtide

Audioholic
I use REW on a Windows laptop, connected by a HDMI cable to an unused port. To test all the lower level speakers you need to use the ASIO4ALL option - the standard Java setup only does stereo. Even ASIO4ALL doesn't do height speakers.

REW has a signal generator which provides all sorts of test tones, an SPL meter and oscilloscope. Dunno what I'd do without it. :)

Also runs on Mac, though they didn't have a version for my M1 MacBook when I last looked.
I downloaded the REW software.

What kind of mic do I need for it to work? I am looking at buying a cheap spl meter but looks like I need a mic that can work with my laptop. Maybe there is an spl meter that can work for both the REW software and stand alone for just measuring test tones.

Anyone have good mics that work? Or tips?

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I downloaded the REW software.

What kind of mic do I need for it to work? I am looking at buying a cheap spl meter but looks like I need a mic that can work with my laptop. Maybe there is an spl meter that can work for both the REW software and stand alone for just measuring test tones.

Anyone have good mics that work? Or tips?
A decent mic will also do those things, and won't break the bank. Mini DSP mic or Dayton will work very well and are commonly used with REW. I have the Mini DSP UMIK-1 and it works just fine.

J

jakkedtide

Audioholic
A decent mic will also do those things, and won't break the bank. Mini DSP mic or Dayton will work very well and are commonly used with REW. I have the Mini DSP UMIK-1 and it works just fine.
I have a

Ride videomic pro for my dslr

Would that work or does it have to be usb attached?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis