Yamaha AVENTAGE 2021 AV Receivers Bulk Up on Power and 8K Features

M

Meskin

Audiophyte
I am new to this forum, but I recently picked up an A6A from Best Buy. I upgraded from a very old A710 that was a workhorse for me for quite a while. The sound quality improvement is astonishing, but again I am coming from a old receiver, so I was expecting the difference to be night and day and is. That being said, I am experiencing some odd behavior from the A6A, and I was wondering if other owners could confirm they are experiencing similar items. I am mainly concerned about two things:
  1. The unit has a transformer sounding hum that can be heard roughly 2-3 inches from the unit, not sure if this is expected and based on all the marketing material for anti vibration. I am not impressed that a hum can be heard. Note that this hum does not transfer over to or come through the speakers in any way.
  2. There is 2-4 second sound initiation delay for content once started, and even more so for my TV coming via arc that can be sometimes delayed up to 6 seconds for the sound to start. Again this is not a sync issue sound and video are synced when the sound starts, but there is noticeable processing delay to get the sound going. A good example of this is if I switch sound modes I have to wait the 3-6 seconds for sound to come back.
Any confirmations or differences in experience with this unit by other owners would be appreciated. I posted this same topic in another forum because I am desperate to know if I should be returning this unit.

I was waiting for Gene's review of the A6A, but that seems to be delayed. If you are reading this are you experiencing these items above with your A6A review unit?

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
If you have not already, download the latest firmware. Then, bring up Setup Menu and go to System, then Initialization and execute “All Initialization.” See if that helps the hum and audio delay. Audio delay issues did occur in some of the 2020 models as well. Is the audio coming from the TV Smart apps or an externally connected device?

G

Gys Florian

Enthusiast
  1. The unit has a transformer sounding hum that can be heard roughly 2-3 inches from the unit, not sure if this is expected and based on all the marketing material for anti vibration. I am not impressed that a hum can be heard. Note that this hum does not transfer over to or come through the speakers in any way.
Hi, I had the exact same behavior for months on my cx-a5100... Until I realized it was because of a neutral-phase issue. Check you power outlet, neutral and phase are inverted. My cx-a5100 is now dead silent, no more hum.

M

Meskin

Audiophyte
If you have not already, download the latest firmware. Then, bring up Setup Menu and go to System, then Initialization and execute “All Initialization.” See if that helps the hum and audio delay. Audio delay issues did occur in some of the 2020 models as well. Is the audio coming from the TV Smart apps or an externally connected device?
I tried the "All Initialization" it did not fix my delay issue, that being said it is most noticeable with TV Smart Apps. My externally connected through the receiver still have the delay, but it is minimal.

Hi, I had the exact same behavior for months on my cx-a5100... Until I realized it was because of a neutral-phase issue. Check you power outlet, neutral and phase are inverted. My cx-a5100 is now dead silent, no more hum.
Ah, I don't have the tools to check the outlet, but I have tired the receiver through my APC power conditioner and the wall outlet and still get the electric hum or resonance. Again its slight, but still present with your ear next to it.

G

Gys Florian

Enthusiast
Your APC will not help solving phase-neutral inversion. Get a schuko plug adapter or something equivalent if you're not located in Europe. It will allow you to reverse phase and neutral with no tools.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Atmos tracks can cause serious delay. This is especially true when using the Apple TV 4K. It converts the signal to LPCM with atmos metadata. It causes a delay as the receiver tries to sort it out as it looks like DTHD but is actually converted DD+/atmos and finally shows up as atmos/PCM. If the TV's output is set to PCM, it may be causing an issue. To see the incoming signal on the front of the Yamaha, press the Select/Enter knob on the front of the unit and then turn it to display the incoming signal. Try different sources and apps and see what is coming in and how long it takes to sort it out.

sollyemmy

sollyemmy

Enthusiast
serious question - This is my first HT ever and i am waiting for A6A which i ordered on Aug 10th so bear with me here. I bought a UST Projector (Samsung LSP9T) and powered tower speakers (Goldenear Triton 2) and have an XBOX1 which i rarely use. I bought a Panamax M5400 PM as the surge protector.

So my question is - what can i plug in to the surge protector. i know that the subwoofer (JTR Cap 2400 ) should not be plugged into it as per the forum but can i plug in all the other stuff like Tower speakers/ projector/ firestick 4k (will get a shield pro later), ethernet switch, AVR, XBOX and other electronics.

Are there any limitations to what can or cannot be plugged into the surge protector. I gave all equipment i have for context.

M

Meskin

Audiophyte
Your APC will not help solving phase-neutral inversion. Get a schuko plug adapter or something equivalent if you're not located in Europe. It will allow you to reverse phase and neutral with no tools.
Ah, will look into this, thank you.

Atmos tracks can cause serious delay. This is especially true when using the Apple TV 4K. It converts the signal to LPCM with atmos metadata. It causes a delay as the receiver tries to sort it out as it looks like DTHD but is actually converted DD+/atmos and finally shows up as atmos/PCM. If the TV's output is set to PCM, it may be causing an issue. To see the incoming signal on the front of the Yamaha, press the Select/Enter knob on the front of the unit and then turn it to display the incoming signal. Try different sources and apps and see what is coming in and how long it takes to sort it out.
Okay this makes sense and is what I am seeing if I move the display to show the audio decoder. The timing is tied to the processing kicking in or in my case showing the processing type (e.g. DD, etc.)., the sound activates as soon as the decoder type is indicated. Good to know this is not unusual. I had a A710 which was instantaneous, but likely lacked all these more advanced processing / interpretation structures. Appreciate your feedback here. Thank you.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Well on my older Yamaha 2060, the AppleTV 4K does take a couple seconds to figure out it’s Atmos. Maybe Apple should have just used DD+ like other streaming devices…

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Yeah, Apple needs to straight up bitstream already. I hoped Yamaha had worked this out and the new Aventage units wouldn’t have an issue. When it gets really bad, the audio never comes on. I still have issues from time to time with the RX-V6A after a few firmware updates. Apple’s atmos/PCM signal takes a second or two when using my Onkyo. On a good day, the Yamaha does about the same but there are too many bad days.

AVR Enthu

AVR Enthu

Full Audioholic
But I have a question if a choice given which one would you buy first The Onkyo RZ50 or the Yamaha A8A
Onkyo works fully out of the box. You get 40 Gbps conneciton when you turn it on.
On Yamahas, you do not get HDMI 2.1 working until they roll out the firmware. And even then, we do not know how reliably is this going to work. It has not been tested by any reviewer. Considering what happened last year with 2020 models that still do not have HDMI 2.1 working, everyone should be super cautious.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Seems the 2021 Yamahas may have similar glitches to the 2020 models right out of the gate. I fear new HDMI boards will be needed for the whole lot of them.:confused: I hope I’m wrong for anybody who invested in the 2021 models.

TheLamonster

TheLamonster

Audioholic Intern
Seems the 2021 Yamahas may have similar glitches to the 2020 models right out of the gate. I fear new HDMI boards will be needed for the whole lot of them.:confused: I hope I’m wrong for anybody who invested in the 2021 models.
What are you basing this on, do you have a source?

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Just a recent post that has me wondering about it. For anybody getting a 2021 model. Watch for ARC/eARC issues, source switching issues and handling of Apple’s atmos/PCM output. Register your receivers and get on the horn with Yamaha about any problems. I can tell you they are very aware of the issues out there with 2020 models. They need to be informed of any with 2021 models.

Epsonfan

Epsonfan

Full Audioholic
My friend just bought a V6A asking me how to activate the HDMI CEC control in the setup menu but I don't see noting there it says HDMI CEC Control am I missing something
Screen Shot 2021-09-17 at 5.53.51 PM.png

He said he doesn't see this menu at all

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
On the V6A, press SETUP button on the remote control, then move down a selection to HDMI, press ENTER button on HDMI. Next, change HDMI Control <OFF> to <ON>

Epsonfan

Epsonfan

Full Audioholic
I am not there physically but according to him he says he doesn't see HDMI control off-on once he clicks on HDMI.

Epsonfan

Epsonfan

Full Audioholic
On the V6A, press SETUP button on the remote control, then move down a selection to HDMI, press ENTER button on HDMI. Next, change HDMI Control <OFF> to <ON>
All sorted out I had to drive over & see for myself. My friend needs to see his eye doctor & soon.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis