Yamaha AVENTAGE 2021 AV Receivers Bulk Up on Power and 8K Features

E

EBN

Audioholic
Sad news is these new models will be delayed about month.

RX A4A - Friday, August 27, 2021
RX A6A - Thursday, September 30, 2021
RX A8A- Thursday, September 30, 2021

Good news reading first RX-A8A listening tests the new YPAO feels like good step forward. For the lazy ones the YPAO part below, the full review is very positive.

Also, please pay attention to the addition of a new mode called "low frequency domain" as the target curve of YPAO's parametric equalizer.

This is a mode that suppresses the influence of standing waves peculiar to the room, clears the bass, and improves the visibility of the sound field. It finely corrects from 15.6Hz to 200Hz with a 1/12 octave delimiter.

The target curve of YPAO's parametric EQ has other modes such as "flat", "front approximation", and "natural", but these are only corrections that are separated by one-third octave.

I actually tried this "low frequency domain" and the effect was amazing. The visibility of the sound field is improved, and the sound design of the work is more clearly understood.

For users like me who do not want to use the equalizer other than the low frequencies affected by standing waves, the new "low frequency domain" mode is welcome. It's perfect for people who feel that other modes are "overcorrected" or that the sound is sloppy compared to when EQ is not applied. This time, I decided to fix it to this EQ and watch various software.

E

EBN

Audioholic
Noticed this also.

For the "DAC digital filter", we selected "short latency", which has a quick rise and excellent rhythmic expression.

Was this feature adjustable in A30x0 models? @AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Noticed this also.

For the "DAC digital filter", we selected "short latency", which has a quick rise and excellent rhythmic expression.

Was this feature adjustable in A30x0 models? @AcuDefTechGuy
I doubt it. I didn't see any mention of this in my RX-A3080 manual.

S

SB_Woo

Audiophyte
Anyone concerned about the HDMI 2.1 capabilities, I pressed Yamaha support a bit more and got this response.

"After a firmware update this fall, all HDMI inputs and outputs on the RX-A6A will support the HDMI 2.1 specification 48 GBit/s bandwidth, 42.6 GBit/s data transfer."

I would assume this goes for the A8A and probably the A4A as well.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Anyone concerned about the HDMI 2.1 capabilities, I pressed Yamaha support a bit more and got this response.

"After a firmware update this fall, all HDMI inputs and outputs on the RX-A6A will support the HDMI 2.1 specification 48 GBit/s bandwidth, 42.6 GBit/s data transfer."

I would assume this goes for the A8A and probably the A4A as well.
It seems half of this thread has been about that very point.
And YES, I think any consumer should hold off on committing to a new AVR/AVP, assuming the HDMI 2.1 functionality is important to them, until it is proven to work properly.
In fact if you go back to any of the threads here on AH about the 2.1 issues, you'll see many opinions voiced to the effect that 2022 is likely to be the year where buying a new AVR/AVP may make sense. By then, we should be well into the 3rd gen of HDMI 2.1 ChipSets. And by 2022 Q1, we should know if these 2nd Gen Updated ChipSets are worth anything.
That said, according to another thread, we might be seeing delays to both the Yamahas and New Onkyo that people are getting excited about. It was suggested these delays could push delivery into late Autumn and even Winter.
Mind, we still do not know what Sound United has planned...

S

SB_Woo

Audiophyte
It seems half of this thread has been about that very point.
And YES, I think any consumer should hold off on committing to a new AVR/AVP, assuming the HDMI 2.1 functionality is important to them, until it is proven to work properly.
In fact if you go back to any of the threads here on AH about the 2.1 issues, you'll see many opinions voiced to the effect that 2022 is likely to be the year where buying a new AVR/AVP may make sense. By then, we should be well into the 3rd gen of HDMI 2.1 ChipSets. And by 2022 Q1, we should know if these 2nd Gen Updated ChipSets are worth anything.
That said, according to another thread, we might be seeing delays to both the Yamahas and New Onkyo that people are getting excited about. It was suggested these delays could push delivery into late Autumn and even Winter.
Mind, we still do not know what Sound United has planned...
I hope you're wrong about 2022. The way I see it, we now have all 3 of the HDMI 2.1 sources in the wild. I don't see any reason why a manufacturer could not get access to them and test them.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I hope you're wrong about 2022. The way I see it, we now have all 3 of the HDMI 2.1 sources in the wild. I don't see any reason why a manufacturer could not get access to them and test them.
I'd love to be wrong. :)
Many of the "luxury" players are waiting on the sidelines before updating the underbaked HDMI 2.1 chip sets. To be fair, I don't consider Anthem or Monolith to be really in the "luxury" category, but they, like many that are, have not played their cards yet. According to one source posted on ASR, they are largely waiting to see what happens once the Gen 2 chipsets are out and updated.
Even though we should be able to expect working product, there are still a lot of barriers that the manufacturers are having to work through.
Time will tell.

I will not be adopting any of these products until they are proven to be on point and fully operational without a pending firmware update or other condition being placed upon them. When I spend $2000-$4000 on a product, I have no intention of being a Gamma Tester helping work out bugs and waiting for updates to fix issues that should not exist in the marketplace.

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
About like everything else nowadays, everything is limited/back-ordered or no earthly idea when there will be a ship date.

Epsonfan

Epsonfan

Full Audioholic
Yet another update after buying the new scheme 2.1 HDMI saga.

R

rotax

Audiophyte
Looking at the specs for this line under audio support Yamaha lists:
MP3 / WMA / MPEG-4 AAC, ALAC: up to 96 kHz / 24-bit, FLAC: up to 384 kHz / 24-bit, WAV / AIFF: up to 384 kHz / 32-bit, DSD: up to 11.2 MHz

Given the different DACs, specifically I was looking at the ALAC for Apple Lossless:
"Apple Music’s Lossless tier starts at CD quality, which is 16 bit at 44.1 kHz (kilohertz), and goes up to 24 bit at 48 kHz and is playable natively on Apple devices. For the true audiophile, Apple Music also offers Hi-Resolution Lossless all the way up to 24 bit at 192 kHz" https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2021/05/apple-music-announces-spatial-audio-and-lossless-audio/

Do you think the 96 kHz spec is a typo and should be 192 kHz?

Thank you,
R

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
That's the rub with ALAC and many receivers, 96kHz/24-bit cap.

E

EBN

Audioholic
Yamaha rep answering questions on other forum. These might intrest you aswell.

Hi guys thanks for all the interest into our new range. I’d just like to answer a few questions that have come up.

Will the replacement RX-V4A, RX-V6A & RX-A2A HDMI 2.1 board swap programme include an upgraded 40gbps board? No, the replacement board will deliver the original design specification, that runs at 24gbps across HDMI inputs 1,2 & 3.

Are HDMI 2.1 functions available across all 7 inputs on the RX-A4A, RX-A6A & RX-A8A? Yes, 4K120AB & 8K60AB refresh rates and resolutions apply. ALLM, QFT, QMS, VRR also present. 40gbps transmission.

To further explain the benefits as you work your way up the range, please see the below bullet points, that highlight some of the key improvements:

RX-A2A to the RX-A4A
Improved Build quality

Transformer Isolation

H-Frame (Improved)

Repositioned A.R.T Wedge

Larger Transformer

Transformer Winding (x2 secondary to power amps)

Multi-Layer Pre-amp PCB

Larger Block Capacitors

WIMA Film Capacitors (used on power amps)

More Powerful Amps

Symmetrical Design

Sabre DAC

Qualcomm S.O.C

Surround: AI

YPAO: LFM, 3D, High Precision

Backlit Remote

Improved Scene Control +

Improved GUI

More Inputs / Outputs
RX-A4A to the RX-A6A
More Power

Larger Transformer

Larger Block Capacitors

Better DACS

Iron Feet

Double Bottom Plate

11ch Processing

Auro 3D (9.1 & 11.1 with 2ch amp)

Zone 4 (HDMI)

XLR In & Out

HDMI Video Presets
RX-A6A to the RX-A8A
11ch Amplification

Complete Transformer Isolation

Thicker Double Bottom Plate

Brass 5th Foot

Two Sabre Pro DACS (the same as CX-A5200)

Heavier gauge copper tracked power amp & analogue PCB’s (the same as MX-A5200)

Heavier gauge power supply and ground wiring (the same as MX-A5200)

Larger Block Capacitors

Sadly, these bullet points do not and cannot tell you the real-world sonic benefits. This can only be understood with an audition.

To sum up the new models in a few words, I would say:

RX-A4A Detail & Precision

RX-A6A Deep & Refined

RX-A8A Amazing Grip & Control

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Much of that information is available on this forum in various threads. What the rep did not mention is that the HDMI 2.1 gaming features will not be available on the new models out of the box and will require a future firmware update to use. It is ridiculous that those models are not fully equipped out of the box this far into this mess at those price points. Perhaps that update will be available by the time these units hit the street but I wouldn't count on it if I wanted those features. Really see no reason for those happy with their 2080s and 3080s to make the move until those features hit the street.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I wonder on A6A if the Auro 3D and auro-matic upmixer work in a front presence (height) and rear presence (height) configuration. 5.1.4 (9.1) Or if you would need some other layout.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
No telling, as that is also a feature that will not be available out of the box.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
2021 is shaping up hard as another lost year for AVRs and such.
At this point, I wouldn’t mind seeing Sound United take a hard pass on releasing anything this year; placing a concerted effort on perhaps an early Spring release of a dialed in set of fully operational gear.

A boy can hope, can’t he? :)

E

EBN

Audioholic
I wonder on A6A if the Auro 3D and auro-matic upmixer work in a front presence (height) and rear presence (height) configuration. 5.1.4 (9.1) Or if you would need some other layout.
Gene should be doing event with Yamaha rep in two week time if it hasn`t changed. Would be nice if we could throw some questions here or another thread and Gene would ask them. The live chat everyone asking something and many are missed.

E

EBN

Audioholic
2021 is shaping up hard as another lost year for AVRs and such.
At this point, I wouldn’t mind seeing Sound United take a hard pass on releasing anything this year; placing a concerted effort on perhaps an early Spring release of a dialed in set of fully operational gear.

A boy can hope, can’t he? :)
No new Denon / Marantz models coming this year, 2022 spring/summer is what D&M rep said at AVSForum.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Gene should be doing event with Yamaha rep in two week time if it hasn`t changed. Would be nice if we could throw some questions here or another thread and Gene would ask them. The live chat everyone asking something and many are missed.
That’s what the super chats are for! Pay to play!!!
:p

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis