Yamaha AVENTAGE 2021 AV Receivers Bulk Up on Power and 8K Features

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Since Yamaha lacks the facilities to display in room frequency response, how can one put a away the mic and REW after one tweaks PEQ?
I put away the MIC once I achieve that awesome bass. The REW FR measurement was just to VERIFY what I was HEARING.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
You could just get the $100 UMIK-1 and use the Yamaha Manual PEQ to EQ the Bass region below 200Hz. Only add the additional miniDSP if the Manual Parametric EQ doesn't get you the bass you want.
You need a miniDSP to eq two or more subs because the two sub woofer outputs are not independent of one another and cannot be adjusted independently, at least not up to and including the 3060 model.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I put away the MIC once I achieve that awesome bass. The REW FR measurement was just to VERIFY what I was HEARING.
Id rather eliminate the guess work and would only put REW away once I see the response Im after. This also includes the cross over region between sub to loudspeaker.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
You need a miniDSP to eq two or more subs because the two sub woofer outputs are not independent of one another and cannot be adjusted independently
I don't need anything or spend hours and hours of testing if I can get that awesome bass in 5 minutes.

I want awesome sound (and video). I don't care if the FR looks ruler flat.

As I've said, if you can't get the sound you desire, then I can see investing more time and money to improve the sound.

But it doesn't hurt and takes one minute to try some PEQ settings before spending $100+ and hours and hours of work. Then if you still want to spend more money and a lot more time, go for it. :D

Last edited:
J

JNMNL52

Enthusiast
I used my UMIK-1 a few times since it seems like "everyone" has one, like everyone has a SPL meter. :D

But then I put the UMIK-1 away and never used it again.

I guess it's a good "exercise" to scratch that curiosity itch. But in retrospect, I really didn't even need it to make my bass sound great.

Before you even order the UMIK-1, you could just play around with the manual PEQ for your subs. For example, change the 40Hz, 60Hz, 80Hz, and 100Hz to +3.0dB and set Q=0.5 for each. If that sounds like the best bass you've heard in your life compared to the other great bass you've heard, especially from expensive speakers and subs, do you even want to spend hours on REW and the $100 UMIK-1? :D

Here's one interesting fact - just because your Bass Frequency Response is FLAT, does not mean you will like the sound of your bass. You just don't want a huge DIP in the bass, which means you won't get that awesome impactful powerful deep bass like a freight train from hell. :D

Of course, if your bass still sounds bad or not as good as the great bass you've heard before, then you would want to invest more time and money to improve the sound.

REW/UMIK-1 can be a good exercise if you are curious about the frequency response of your speakers and subs in your room - say you've been there, done it. And after you've scratched that off your bucket list, you can put the UMIK-1 back in the box and store in your closet forever (like me). :D
Thank you AcuDefTechGuy! I just entered your sub settings in my Yammy RX-A770 and there was an immediate improvement of bass over where the YPAO had it set. Totally awesome. You just pushed me over the edge and I will place my pre-order for the A8A as I can now see a way forward.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Id rather eliminate the guess work and would only put REW away once I see the response Im after.
Well, some people like to spend hours and hours testing, and they might even find it extremely FUN.

I prefer to spend hours and hours listening to great sound and watching great video. So many great music, movies and TV series, and not enough time. There are also other things in life that are FUN to do. :D

To each his own.

Last edited:
3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I don't need anything or spend hours and hours of testing if I can get that awesome bass in 5 minutes.

I want awesome sound (and video). I don't care if the FR looks ruler flat.

As I've said, if you can't get the sound you desire, then I can see investing more time and money to improve the sound.
Your approach will not work in difficult rooms where the room boundaries are not symmetrical. You will never get to a place where bass will be even beyond the MLP because one cannot PEQ the subs independently. This next step maybe a personal choice but a flat frequency response to 20 Hz will sound thin because human hearing is relatively insensitive to bass..see Fletcher Munson.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Your approach will not work in difficult rooms where the room boundaries are not symmetrical.
You might be correct.

And not everyone has a difficult room.

But as I've said, it's FREE to try and takes ONE MINUTE.

If after trying a FREE procedure that costs you ONE MINUTE and your bass doesn't sound awesome, go for the miniDSP and UMIK-1.

The entire purpose of any AUTO-EQ is to make it extremely simple and fast to get great sound.

If you can't get that, then the next step is to get great sound using manual PEQ as simple and quickly as you can.

If you can't get that, then you have no choice but to invest a lot more time and money.

In my experience with the equipment I've owned and the rooms I've owned, If I own a Yamaha, manual PEQ is all I need to get that awesome bass. If I have a Denon/Marantz, Audyssey Bypass L/R + Dynamic EQ is all I need to get that awesome bass.

Last edited:
OldAndSlowDev

OldAndSlowDev

Senior Audioholic
Something like two months ago was looking for a review about the RXA8A… now learning about miniDSP, umik1-2… Who said “rabbit hole” ?

clone1008

clone1008

Full Audioholic
Before you even order the UMIK-1, you could just play around with the manual PEQ for your subs. For example, change the 40Hz, 60Hz, 80Hz, and 100Hz to +3.0dB and set Q=0.5 for each.
The frequencies you mention are not an option on my A6A, they are close but all have decimal points no whole numbers.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
You might be correct.

And not everyone has a difficult room.

But as I've said, it's FREE to try and takes ONE MINUTE.

If after trying a FREE procedure that costs you ONE MINUTE and your bass doesn't sound awesome, go for the miniDSP and UMIK-1.

The entire purpose of any AUTO-EQ is to make it extremely simple and fast to get great sound.

If you can't get that, then the next step is to get great sound using manual PEQ as simple and quickly as you can.

If you can't get that, then you have no choice but to invest a lot more time and money.

In my experience with the equipment I've owned and the rooms I've owned, If I own a Yamaha, manual PEQ is all I need to get that awesome bass. If I have a Denon/Marantz, Audyssey Bypass L/R + Dynamic EQ is all I need to get that awesome bass.
Im just saying that Yamaha PEQ is very limited in resolving bass because the 2 sub outs are not independent of one another. You are lucky that it has worked for you and my guess is your rooms have beem symetrical. Quite a few people here do not have rooms that are symetrical such as family rooms or multi function rooms. The learning curve for REW and a miniDSP is a couple of days at most. The hardest part of EQing subs in assymetrical spaces is not the EQing of the subs. Thats the easy part. Finding locations for the subs so that their outputs add and not subtract from one another output is the hardest part. One needs REW and a mic to do that. Your experience only covers off a small percentage of the population that have dedicated listening areas with symetrical layouts. Don't be so quick to dismiss the larger percentage of us that need the tools required to place subs in assymetrical rooms.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
The frequencies you mention are not an option on my A6A, they are close but all have decimal points no whole numbers.
Thats a recipe for bloated boomy bass because without measuring the room response, one doesn't know what one is dealing with. Get the mic as its relatively inexpensive and measure with REW.

clone1008

clone1008

Full Audioholic
Thats a recipe for bloated boomy bass because without measuring the room response, one doesn't know what one is dealing with. Get the mic as its relatively inexpensive and measure with REW.
Totally get it, just pointing out a fact that newbies will also be confused with.

C

chapp

Audioholic
A long while ago when I bought a Panasonic plasma tv, I was offered an ISF calibration at a minimum cost. Three weeks after the tv was burned in and I had configured it myself, the Certified ISF guy came. It was a Saturday morning and the fella spent almost all day doing the calibration. The TV was viewed by my family members as a total piece of "...." It looked horrible and was so darn dark and it was distressing to look at it. The Sony in my bedroom that was a fraction of the price of that Panasonic looked 100% better. We tried for one week to see if we could get ourselves conditioned to appreciate the calibration that the Expert's recommend according to how the director's want us to view the movies etc. Painfully, after that week was over and I could not get my eyes to like that TV, I just got the guy to come back and reset the TV to the default settings so I could do my own settings and calibration. We enjoyed that TV for several years and it showed the way we wanted it to and not to what the Professional Calibration Standards wanted.
I do know personally several others who went through the same experience as myself.
Again, your eyes are the best judge of the "beauty of the screen" likewise, your ears for the sound.
AcuDefTechGuy : I agree and have been saying the same. Try the simple stuff first, the Yamaha's PEQ is quite good if you know what you are doing. With just this and a little tweaking, you can have your sound just the way you want to hear it. It's a start but do not dismiss it without giving it a chance.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Close enough. :D I knew that, but just didn’t want to look up the EXACT numbers. :D

39.4Hz, 62.5Hz, 78.7Hz, 99.2Hz.

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
A long while ago when I bought a Panasonic plasma tv, I was offered an ISF calibration at a minimum cost. Three weeks after the tv was burned in and I had configured it myself, the Certified ISF guy came. It was a Saturday morning and the fella spent almost all day doing the calibration. The TV was viewed by my family members as a total piece of "...." It looked horrible and was so darn dark and it was distressing to look at it. The Sony in my bedroom that was a fraction of the price of that Panasonic looked 100% better. We tried for one week to see if we could get ourselves conditioned to appreciate the calibration that the Expert's recommend according to how the director's want us to view the movies etc. Painfully, after that week was over and I could not get my eyes to like that TV, I just got the guy to come back and reset the TV to the default settings so I could do my own settings and calibration. We enjoyed that TV for several years and it showed the way we wanted it to and not to what the Professional Calibration Standards wanted.
I do know personally several others who went through the same experience as myself.
Again, your eyes are the best judge of the "beauty of the screen" likewise, your ears for the sound.
AcuDefTechGuy : I agree and have been saying the same. Try the simple stuff first, the Yamaha's PEQ is quite good if you know what you are doing. With just this and a little tweaking, you can have your sound just the way you want to hear it. It's a start but do not dismiss it without giving it a chance.
Right on. :D

Many of us have been saying this - at the end of the day, we have to be happy with what we hear and see. It’s not about pleasing other forum members. It’s not about bragging rights on the best specs and measurement numbers. It’s about pleasing our own ears and eyes, right? :D

I don’t understand why some people refuse to acknowledge that it DOES NOT HURT to try something FREE, SIMPLE and QUICK first. :D

We all know that life can be extremely difficult. But sometimes life can also be that SIMPLE and FREE and PAINLESS. :D

OldAndSlowDev

OldAndSlowDev

Senior Audioholic
The problem with that technician his paws are too big for that tiny keyboard. Try a hamster or guinea pig, those paws fit the keys better and give better EQ results.
You can’t imagine how often I am focusing on my code (I am a game developer) and then looking at my screen the code is a total mess : my cat just starts his nap on the keyboard.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis