Yamaha AVENTAGE 2021 AV Receivers Bulk Up on Power and 8K Features

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
You guys think this sale of SU is going to push Denon/Marantz fans to Yamaha? :D

clone1008

clone1008

Full Audioholic
You guys think this sale of SU is going to push Denon/Marantz fans to Yamaha? :D
I can't answer that but I would think you would be one of the first to see if that was happening. It will be interesting to see what your reps think. Is this new news to you or did you have any kinds of heads up?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I can't answer that but I would think you would be one of the first to see if that was happening. It will be interesting to see what your reps think. Is this new news to you or did you have any kinds of heads up?
I placed a new order with Sound United last week and another order yesterday. Business as usual. Like nothing happened.

C

chapp

Audioholic
It's all about the money. Shareholders are happy with the deal, and we'll just have to wait and see how things pan out.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
It's all about the money. Shareholders are happy with the deal, and we'll just have to wait and see how things pan out.
Yep. As long as Sound United CONTINUES to make more profits (which usually implies SU will have to make their clients/consumers very happy), does anyone really care? :D

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
Yep. As long as Sound United CONTINUES to make more profits (which usually implies SU will have to make their clients/consumers very happy), does anyone really care? :D
Just what part of SU sold off? All? Their AVR market? Speaker market? Or did SU just sell off their shares? SU gonna still be apart of manufacturing? Or SU jumped out completely?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Just what part of SU sold off? All? Their AVR market? Speaker market? Or did SU just sell off their shares? SU gonna still be apart of manufacturing? Or SU jumped out completely?
It just looks like VIPER sold SU to MASIMO.

So VIPER used to own SU. Now MASIMO owns SU.

I don't see SU changing too much. If MASIMO wants to be successful, they will still need SU to keep doing what they are doing now - keep making new products and making their clients/consumers happy.

It's NOT the first time we see Denon/Marantz being sold to a new company. :D

AVR Enthu

AVR Enthu

Full Audioholic
I messaged them about the firmware update. They said end of March now!
It's going to be curious to see whether they release the firmware with official certification or as public beta, like everyone else. Phil Shea explicitly said in @gene 's online talk that they intended to certify HDMI 2.1 capabilities. So, delay may not be due to Yamaha itself, but due to HDMI Org dragging this process.

Once it's certified, there will be no excuses for faulty boards or non-working features, as we have seen in 2020 lower tier models. LG is going to release 4th generation of HDMI 2.1 TVs this spring. It goes to show how much behind are AVRs in adopting new tech.

On another note, evolution of AVR boards could see adoption of other video interfaces. It's time AVRs finally introduce DisplayPort Type-C, so that users can comfortably connect whatever display they have at home. AVR video board is supposed to be the most versatile video hub/connector in the world. Sadly, it is still not that. Home theatre idea is quickly evolving in various directions as more devices are engaged, not only those with HDMI interface.

AVR companies should also adopt audio-video-over-IP, with AV-IP encode/decode chip inside and much faster WiFi and LAN ports, at least stable 1 Gbps. This will allow users to send AV content over network into AVR for decoding audio and passing video into HDMI out. So far, external devices are needed for this. It should not be the case that I must connect NAS with Plex with HDMI cable to AVR to get movies flowing. There should be enough flexibility for media content go through home network too. HDMI-only mind-set is out of date in this day and age.

This is not going to happen until new gen of SoCs that support the feature is adopted. Yamaha says their new Qualcomm 407 SoC should last up to 7-10 years, so no AV-over-IP happening any time soon on mainstream devices.

Just a Friday eve rant...

Padinn

Padinn

Junior Audioholic
I'm sure its due HDMI org. I don't even know if they published the testing certification. It's been in development for like a year+

Padinn

Padinn

Junior Audioholic
I chatted with a Yamaha support rep. They said absolutely no new info is available, they are hoping to learn something Spring 2022. Might be helpful if someone with more influence reached out and got info :D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis